Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Well I'm there in the totally ambivalent camp with Ole. I didn't see many calling LvG being sacked knee jerk after a similar amount of games/similar record. It's not knee jerk wanting Ole gone. Two important things to note about this thread being bumped: 1) It's generally just used as the main thread to discuss Ole and many posts have nothing to do with sacking him 2) It's a personal battlefield for some who use it to gloat and chat shit after a win or defeat. Both stauch sides need to grow up, if you ask me.

Ole is very far from perfect, yes. But unfortunately you have a small minority who won't hear anything negative said against him, which is totally counterproductive. Conversely you have the ones that can't praise him no matter what. It's the hardcore views that cause the toxic shite. Taking our third place finish is fairly simplistic like it was saying Jose finished second. I wouldn't sack him now but I would certainly be reviewing our situation come December or so.
Cant disagree with any of that. This may sound daft, but Oles 3rd place finish actually felt better than Joses 2nd place finish because it very much felt like we had reached our ceiling with Jose where as now it feels like we are a work in progress

Of course if we look as hopeless by December then serious questions need to be asked

Greck

Ole needs to stop approaching postmatch interviews from the angle of why he should stay manager. Not so subtly reminding everyone of past mediocrity doesn't appeal to people's idea of progress.

Utdstar01

I know I've said the changes and the choice of personnel for their relative positions were bad.

But feck me I still can't get over the stupidity of it. I wonder if he was trying to lose the game, that's honestly the only way it makes sense to me.

He put Fred as the holding player in the diamond when the box to box suited him much more vs Leipzig. He actually gave Pogba a full 90 minutes. He hooked off Bruno when Arsenal parked the bus and we needed creativity.

Its more than just head scratching, its an absolute joke. Palace, Brighton Spurs, Chelsea and now Arsenal. These poor performances aren't just bad, they are becoming serious warning signals in whats a long season ahead.

He will probably beat Everton, and it will buy him some more time. But whoever is at the healm we just cannot justify losing 3 points to teams for a while. We have 7 points for 6 games, I still can't believe it! Jose/Moyee/LVG would be gone ages ago and they have some form of a CV.

Lets pan this out and hope we get going but Ole has lost another big chunk of goodwill tonight.
No chance we beat Everton in this form. I can see us getting trounced.

Gazza

FFS, :lol: :houllier: I checked a couple of pages and found some. Now you make an excuse and don’t accept them. You were indicating there was none initially. Says it all really. Like I said there’s plenty. more. Open you eyes and read them yourself.
Nah, I made a fairly simple point about whether those couple of posts are really representative of the discussion being had in this thread. You think they do, I’d say it’s pretty self evident that they don’t, as you had to search to Oct 4 to find a couple of disparate posts to support your tenuous get-out of actually interacting with posts you disagree with. Anyway, good luck nobly defending Ole from these brutal “personal attacks” :)

Frank Grimes

Since the start of last season we have took 73 points from 132 available. That's losing almost 45% of the points on offer. That is nowhere near good enough and is the equivalent of losing almost 20 games out of 44, points wise.

We really should be considering a new manager at this stage. Ole has had plenty of time but we are getting no better under him.

Bwuk

Does anyone actually think we’ll kick on and win something under him?

I’m fed up of the excuses, and blaming players and lack of players. I’m fed up hearing we need to sign X, Y or Z.

Our squad has more than enough talent for us to be in a much better position. If we don’t get a moment of individual brilliance we won’t win a game. We have no patterns of play, no defined style.

Robbie Boy

Classic Ole. Impressive win followed by a disappointing loss. He took it as far as he could, no consistency under him. To have that, you need to be a top manager, which he isn't
Because you'll have people bringing up his form since February to suit their agenda. But they won't let you use any games prior to February, just because...

I'm not sure when a managers form from the previous season has ever really mattered in modern times. Plenty of managers have won things and been sacked a-few months into the next season after some poor form. Plenty of managers have done the same with underdog teams; kept them up etc and been sacked a-few months into the next season. It's kind of stupid that some will say: Oh look at his form since we signed Bruno or whatever. This is the 2020/21 season and he should be judged on the here and now. It's also conveniently glossing over that many were expressing concerns with our style of play during our post-COVID run and felt we were very lucky at times and we needed to improve in a-lot of areas.

abailey123

Ole deserves the chance to fix this, but he must do it quickly.
United at old Trafford should be playing on the front foot in every game, forcing it, creating chances. Other than Greenwood’s effort in the first half we were rudderless.
Saying that I am Ole in, he deserves the season based on the turnaround from last year. He needs to stay ruthless and not accept a lack of effort.

TheGame

Nah, I made a fairly simple point about whether those couple of posts are really representative of the discussion being had in this thread. You think they do, I’d say it’s pretty self evident that they don’t, as you had to search to Oct 4 to find a couple of disparate posts to support your tenuous get-out of actually interacting with posts you disagree with. Anyway, good luck nobly defending Ole from these brutal “personal attacks” :)
Nah, you said you didn’t think there were any personal attacks, I looked at a couple of pages as an example and showed you some. That simple really. You then are making excuses for them. I’m not wasting my evening going through the whole thread. Like I said, when I’ve posted, I’ve seen them and I’ve given examples. Anyway have a nice evening.:)

Gazza

Nah, you said you didn’t think there were any personal attacks, I looked at a couple of pages as an example and showed you some. That simple really. You then are making excuses for them. I’m not wasting my evening going through the whole thread. Like I said, when I’ve posted, I’ve seen them and I’ve given examples. Anyway have a nice evening.:)
:lol: No, I didn’t! Never did I say that. I understand now, you were confused from the start, lad! Cheers

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’m not defending ole but the owners are also to blame with that shit window.
He got striker, midfielder and left back. Added on defender, full back, winger and attacking midfielder season before. All that added on pretty good squad.

Castia

2 great performances in Europe aside we’ve been terrible in the league. Other teams are dropping points but are still pulling way ahead of us, it’s just not good enough.

Ole’s done a great job of balancing the squad but I’m not sure he’s got what it takes as a manager to challenge for trophies. End of the day I don’t think Ole can push on and challenge for the title so that tells me we need somebody who can.

In recent years we’ve had a average squad but there’s no excuse, our 18 man match day squad is strong with some incredible talent on the bench we should be pushing the top 2.

Giggsyking

We're seeing what I think is what we'll continue to get. Snatch wins as underdogs, struggle in games we shouldn't and generally drop points needlessly against any team brave enough to have a go.

There will always be enough crumbs for those that completely back Ole, and vice versa. But in the end, where are we? A perpetual state of mediocrity.

I think what I'm saying is that this is probably as far as he can take us unless we build the best team on the planet.
This. I coudnt have said it better.

dove

I think it's quite clear we are not winning anything important with Ole in charge, anyone arguing it is very much deluded. The only thing saving him is that we can win some games that nobody expects us to like against PSG and Leipzig, then we get some deluded fans talking nonsense about "masterclass". Our league form with Ole in charge is just disastrous, no way to hide it. He should have been sacked months ago but unfortunately he is still here and honestly I don't see him going. That is very unfortunate.

Kajus

No I never said that at all. I havent mentioned Mourinho or Fergie. A team who gains more points than the year before is improving for me, not one with the same points. If Usain Bolt runs 100m at 9.65 then runs the same time in the next race would anyone say he had improved?
You implied it. You’re using points as the sole metric for a team’s performance.

As for the Bolt part, surely I don’t need to explain why this point is ridiculous? His competition has no bearing on his time, completely unlike football.

Robbie Boy

Cant disagree with any of that. This may sound daft, but Oles 3rd place finish actually felt better than Joses 2nd place finish because it very much felt like we had reached our ceiling with Jose where as now it feels like we are a work in progress

Of course if we look as hopeless by December then serious questions need to be asked
I agree completely. I detested most of Jose's stint here. Yeah he was more successful but the negativity and the way he held back and belittled players in public was sickening. He created a horrible atmosphere.

Ole has left the squad in good shape if we change managers anytime soon. He's also created a harmonious, unified squad and improved a-few players. Our youth recruitment during the summer was exciting too and let's hope it pays off in the future. I like a-lot of what he has done. My issues with him have always been that I don't think he's a top level coach and he struggles to find sustainable consistency. I do acknowledge he's certainly improved tactically and in a coaching sense since he arrived. The problem is that he had far too much 'learning on the job' to do due to the previous level he has managed at. Unfortunately, we're far too big a club to be giving those kinds of allowances.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s weird how everyone hated Jose & everyone loves Ole yet Jose had a noticeably better points per game record.

It’s almost like some of you are blinded by the romance of Ole being a former player...

Ollie Derbyshire

Have you forgot where we came last year? Have you forgot all the cup-runs? Sure, there wasn't trophies to show but what we saw is progress. You don't expect other manager to come and win treble, do you?

Screaming on the line, if you mean that by passion, is great if you are winning. Otherwise it just looks like some lunatic in a suit.
We came in the top 4 last year due to Bruno coming in, nothing else, we’d have been no where near it without him. I used to think we were progressing but there are too many matches were we show no urgency whatsoever, and Ole sitting in the stands looking at his little tv isn’t good enough, he needs to give them a rocket during the game, try and spark something in them. Do you think Ferguson would just sit there and watch today’s performance, no chance.

Semi’s are fine but I can’t see Ole winning anything with this under dog mentality he must be putting into the players. Are you happy with these types of performances? They seem to happen quite a bit don’t they.

Superden

It’s weird how everyone hated Jose & everyone loves Ole yet Jose had a noticeably better points per game record.

It’s almost like some of you are blinded by the romance of Ole being a former player...
That 2nd place finish is looking better by the year

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He got striker, midfielder and left back. Added on defender, full back, winger and attacking midfielder season before. All that added on pretty good squad.
Only VdB was an early signing. Cavani has not played any football for 7 months and Telles was such a late signing so he wasn’t even here for our first few games.
Ole needs to get more consistency out of the current players, but most of the new signings haven’t contributed anything so far because of our dithering in the transfer window.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Points dont mean crap all.

Ole for all his weaknesses has left the club in a better state for the next manager.

Jose is a virus that stays in the body for only 3 years and has that spreading across the club.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Because under Jose it was obvious we were relying on De Gea heroics to anyone that watched us.

GiddyUp

Yep. Agree with this but what manager fits the bill
My opinion is the only manager of some quality available right now, Pochettino. I don't think Spurs was his ceiling and our squad is set up nicely for him. If his lack of silverware is a problem for some where does a championship for Molde rank?
I like Ole, he's a decent manager but his greatest wins for this club are in games where we are expected to struggle and his worst are games we are expected to win. We have a lot of individual brilliance in our squad but the naivety is there for all to see without a structured style of play. We can't as a club just resign ourselves to one person just because they are already here. We should always be looking for someone better because that's how you get better. Not just going out there and hoping something sticks.
Just my opinion but if we hit the turn of the year outside of the top eight then there should be no fecking way Ole or the coaching staff still have a job at United, and maybe even that is too generous for him. 100 games in and I still expect us to lose because that confidence just isn't there.
When we score first I get a sense of relief because at least we have a shot at a result instead of thinking, right, let's fecking smash them. Far too many of our impressive scorelines are like the Newcastle result. Leaving it until the end to guarantee a win instead of putting it beyond the opposition before half time. We have the players but they are crippled by a reactive gameplan, formations that compliment the opposition and substitutions that don't make a difference because it's like for like or not enough time to make an impact. VDB and Cavani should have been played from the start.
The way things are going we may need a new manager bounce just to compete for a European spot. Sounds very familiar.

Robbie Boy

I really wanted Jose and thought he would bring us back to the top. His toxic negative behaviour totally ruined his stint here. Ole has done some positives here but ultimately I don't think he's good enough to get us where we want to be.

I think what you're saying is more to do with posters becoming obsessive over managers and treating them in a God-like manner. Jose had his worshippers as does Ole. It's a bizarre phenomena and causes said posters to lack basic nuance or objectivity.

I've always given all our managers the same time and respect they deserve and judge them based on results and their impact on the club. I've felt all our managers post-Fergie deserved to go and had no qualms with any being sacked. It's where I'll end up with Ole soon unless things change. Some would rather affiliate themselves with a manager no matter what. They'll totally ignore what happens on the pitch and play all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify their beliefs. There must be a science behind it.

Jeffthered

2 great performances in Europe aside we’ve been terrible in the league. Other teams are dropping points but are still pulling way ahead of us, it’s just not good enough.

Ole’s done a great job of balancing the squad but I’m not sure he’s got what it takes as a manager to challenge for trophies. End of the day I don’t think Ole can push on and challenge for the title so that tells me we need somebody who can.

In recent years we’ve had a average squad but there’s no excuse, our 18 man match day squad is strong with some incredible talent on the bench we should be pushing the top 2.
Disagree with that. After 100 games, we still do not have a defined style of play. And that has nothing to do with owners.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

There is a reason for that. He acted like a complete dick.

That said, Ole has to improve and improve quickly.

MattofManchester

Isn't anybody going to mention the completely dull, uneventful and lethargic way we park the bus for a full half these days?

Honestly, I just feel like doing something else when I watch a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.