Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Ole has done well. He stabilized club and signed some good players (maybe overpaid a little :drool: ). But now it's time to go and let real manager to take over. Enough with this loyalty bull... Bring in Poch please. Don't wait till New Year - it will be too late. Writing is on the wall and if people can't see it that's too bad.
Oh yeah there is no doubt that he has brought in some decent players and stabilised things after Jose, however until he proves he can play more than just counter attack football and demonstrate better in game management he will always be seen as a caretaker who got lucky with his dream job.

AneRu

Oh yeah there is no doubt that he has brought in some decent players and stabilised things after Jose, however until he proves he can play more than just counter attack football and demonstrate better in game management he will always be seen as a caretaker who got lucky with his dream job.
I don't think it's just about in game management but a lack of the requisite technical knowledge to imprint his ideas on the pitch. You can see what he is trying to do but it's not rehearsed or drilled enough into the players such that a single thing going wrong throws the team's balance off the rails e.g when pressed high the team is clueless on how to progress play and that hasn't changed in his time here.

Ultimately he is not good enough but we have a good squad, capable of spectacular results and when on form can rip any team that gives the space to shreds. In some seasons that will be enough to get top four or draw a semblance of promise but the club needs to see it for what it is and act quickly. We all know they won't though.

hobbers

Keep him. Let him construct the team he wants. If in 5 years time we are still not challenging for the title then sack him.
Only 5 years? Pathetic small time mentality.

If he hasn't got us at least a Carabao Cup runners up medal by 2030 I think it might be reasonable to consider getting in a new coach, and moving Ole to a Director of Football role. And obviously also petitioning heavily for his knighthood, for services in turning giant football clubs into mediocre has beens.

AneRu

I can't fault Ole for trying a diamond or 4222 against Arsenal seem as we hammered Leipzig with something similar, and everyone was getting excited that perhaps Ole has finally cracked the Pogba puzzle. But we all realized a few days later that Pogba is a not a PL level midfielder. He's like a Veron, he needs too much time on the ball, doesn't have the defensive intensity/focus required and he is not cut out for the PL, even though he can still be an important squad player here for when Bruno needs a rest.

The biggest worry is that it appears Ole completely botched the transfer window. We can all blame Ed for Cavani which is a player I doubt Ole wanted, but Ole going for Van De Beek instead of Partey now looks like madness, unless VDB suddenly becomes a major first XI player which is looking unlikely.

If it indeed turns out that a poor transfer window leads to more poor performances in the coming games, then that's unforgivable and Ole will have to get the boot. I'd give Ole one final chance to turn it around but one more result like the Arsenal result and he should get the boot.
That too me was another example of poor judgement, in last season's run in it was clear how we lost a bit of quality when didn't have Matic in midfield. With Greenwood proving useful as an inside forward the player to go for was Partey to replace Matic but we gave the latter a three year deal and went on a wild goose chase for Sancho, who we couldn't afford.

We know of Fred and McTominay's limitations with the ball, we have seen it but the way we failed to push this position up the priority list says a lot about the football vision of those in charge.

FatherWolff

I don't think it's just about in game management but a lack of the requisite technical knowledge to imprint his ideas on the pitch. You can see what he is trying to do but it's not rehearsed or drilled enough into the players such that a single thing going wrong throws the team's balance off the rails e.g when pressed high the team is clueless on how to progress play and that hasn't changed in his time here.

Ultimately he is not good enough but we have a good squad, capable of spectacular results and when on form can rip any team that gives the space to shreds. In some seasons that will be enough to get top four or draw a semblance of promise but the club needs to see it for what it is and act quickly. We all know they won't though.
How long would it take to drill, and where in the schedule would you like to fit it? Im sure it would be helpful to the incompetent coaching staff if you could help with logistics! Maybe drop some notes on game plans and how easy it is to scrap them with in game management.

On a side note. This must be the loudest 30 odd % outside the US. Or is it? Outside, I mean.

croadyman

Yeah they only act when there is a serious loss of money at stake,for example not qualifying for the champions league

AneRu

How long would it take to drill, and where in the schedule would you like to fit it? Im sure it would be helpful to the incompetent coaching staff if you could help with logistics! Maybe drop some notes on game plans and how easy it is to scrap them with in game management.

On a side note. This must be the loudest 30 odd % outside the US. Or is it? Outside, I mean.
What are you on about?

FatherWolff

What are you on about?
You would know if you knew the difference on game plan and in game management. Or even better, their cohesive timeline and when or not to brake them. Just be sure to drop your notes to our incompetent coaching staff! I’m sure they will be happy to read them!

AneRu

You would know if you knew the difference on game plan and in game management. Or even better, their cohesive timeline and when or not to brake them. Just be sure to drop your notes to our incompetent coaching staff! I’m sure they will be happy to read them!
Nonsense, I know the difference and my point was that its not just in game management that is bad but how our cohesion as a team fall to pieces the moment things don't go our way i.e when we are denied space.

I did mention that Ole has some good ideas as reflected by how dangerous and exciting we are when things are going our way but the ease with which we crumble under pressure suggest a deeper underlying issue with the coach because it happens way too often.

Observations, you should try them sometime instead of being a sheep who thinks parading Top Red credentials will get you a quick promotion.

Rajma

I’m at the point where I actively want us to lose games, this farce cannot continue for the whole season. We’re wasting our time.

FatherWolff

Nonsense, I know the difference and my point was that its not just in game management that is bad but how our cohesion as a team fall to pieces the moment things don't go our way i.e when we are denied space.

I did mention that Ole has some good ideas as reflected by how dangerous and exciting we are when things are going our way but the ease with which we crumble under pressure suggest a deeper underlying issue with the coach because it happens way too often.

Observations, you should try them sometime instead of being a sheep who thinks parading Top Red credentials will get you a quick promotion.
The space was there. The touches and passes was not. Not the speed on the ball we had a few days earlier and not the rhythm. It was plain as day on the second watch. And it usually is. No one is denying it was shit, but come on. It’s more to it than this. And it’s nothing new. It was like this before Ole, and who ever will fix it needs some time doing it.

After RBL I think there was 5 pages added on here. How many after Arsenal? 30?40? With a lot of comments like the one above. It’s turning into a Twitter parody, so I don’t mind to much.

Greck

If you think a poll with most of its votes taken in February represent the present you're mistaken. I don't even know why anyone cares about winning the poll. When the poll was still getting regularly wiped and reset the results were swinging wildly from game to game. I don't believe in Ole but even if it was 60-40 in favour of sacking Ole it still wouldnt be credible because of the kneejerkers whose votes depend on our last result

AneRu

The space was there. The touches and passes was not. Not the speed on the ball we had a few days earlier and not the rhythm. It was plain as day on the second watch. And it usually is. No one is denying it was shit, but come on. It’s more to it than this. And it’s nothing new. It was like this before Ole, and who ever will fix it needs some time doing it.

After RBL I think there was 5 pages added on here. How many after Arsenal? 30?40? With a lot of comments like the one above. It’s turning into a Twitter parody, so I don’t mind to much.
You could have simply said he needs more time instead of coming out with that insulting tone.

The reason why some of us have lost faith is that we have seen this far too often with Ole. His teams have two specific weaknesses; against the high press and when teams sit deep. And the challenge is that when it goes bad, its really bad.

After RBL, I was happy but I wanted to see whether we could carry it through to the Arsenal game and we failed. It was not because Arsenal were good but it was because our manager was out thought, he failed to turn the tide and the player he kept on when he should have hauled him off ended up costing us the game. These mistakes are too regular with him.

bondsname

I'm wondering if Ole is a "steady-the-ship" type of manager. A good character to have around when things are tough, but can't elevate us to the next level. Like Guus Hiddink, we should keep him around if we appoint a new manager, then Ole can come in and save the day in case things go badly. A super-sub manager. :D

Foxbatt

I'm wondering if Ole is a "steady-the-ship" type of manager. A good character to have around when things are tough, but can't elevate us to the next level. Like Guus Hiddink, we should keep him around if we appoint a new manager, then Ole can come in and save the day in case things go badly. A super-sub manager. :D
Guus Hiddink won the European Cup along with the Dutch league a few times. He won the FA Cup and took three teams to 4th place in the WC. He was a lot better than Ole as a manager.

Rajma

Wanting the club you support to lose games, how pathetic.
With no fans at the stadium to feel for, what’s the point? He will get the sack this season anyway, so I would rather sooner than later when we still have a chance to fight for things. It’s just emptiness all around at the moment.

Rajma

If you want your team to lose at any time, I would take a long hard look at why you support that team.
Actively maybe was too strong of the word but you just know our inept board won’t do what’s needed before it’s too late as usual.

pass.pass.pass

Even if nothing changes till December I think sacking him now will be controversial. It's still early in the season to sack a man that came 3rd in his first season. It's not ruthless as most big clubs will probably sack him if he fails to get a result against Everton but that's the leeway he gets as a club legend. He's also shown he can turn things around
Only among fans who hold onto the romantic notion that an ex-player-legend of the club should be given any more leeway than a regular manager. We came 3rd, but we had only 66 points, were 33 points off the top, were massively aided by Leicester's collapse, and the fact that Chelsea were being managed by FatFrank. Even in the run-in last season, we kept offering our rivals chances by playing out pathetic draws at OT with an almost fully fit squad. We lost three semi-finals.

Also, I think the only thing he has shown is that under him the club consistently keeps making U-turns. A few good games followed by a few bad ones and so on and on. He is never going to get this team playing football on the front-foot. We are wasting our time. By December we will be 15 points off the top and 10 off top four and it will be another nail-bitter to quality for the CL.

iato89

If you want your team to lose at any time, I would take a long hard look at why you support that team.
short term pain for long term gain. After 2 years of a rollercoaster performance it is better to get it done with then keep on going like this. Just like someone said "Losing a battle tο win the war"

KwokSF

Great idea, why didn’t we just let Moyes see out his 6 year contract? :rolleyes:
I should have been clearer. I'm talking about steady progression. We are not catching up with pool and city in 2-3 years by my estimate. 4th and 5th year is key. If we are showing signs of improving I think it's best not be impatient. Let Ole do his thing. Obviously if we are imploding like we did under moyes then.....

reddev3

I've seen enough. I said after the Spurs humiliation that I was willing to overlook the poor start to the season because of the fitness issues and the transfer window being open causing uncertainty but he would have no excuses after the international break but we have been just as uninspiring as ever since then.

It's been nearly two years, that's long enough to know it isn't going to get much better than this.

Greck

I should have been clearer. I'm talking about steady progression. We are not catching up with pool and city in 2-3 years by my estimate. 4th and 5th year is key. If we are showing signs of improving I think it's best not be impatient. Let Ole do his thing. Obviously if we are imploding like we did under moyes then.....
There's nothing special about the 4th and 5th year. That's the Arsenal fool's rebuild. "Rebuilds" like that will have a team's best players agitating for greener pastures and getting picked off one by one long before a dynasty can emerge. Years of falling short has a terrible effect on players' motivation to stay.

edit: You also need to reconsider your statement that we can't catch up to Liverpool before then. What you mean to say is Ole can't catch up to Klopp and Liverpool before then (or ever if I'm being honest). Pretty telling that many people backing him don't even have enough faith in him to hold him to any kind of high expectation. Apparently we are just supposed to stick with him and wait and see what happens after 5 years. God help us if we do that only to reach 2024 and realise we wasted all that time on the wrong man

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

There's nothing special about the 4th and 5th year. That's the Arsenal fool's rebuild. "Rebuilds" like that will have a team's best players agitating for greener pastures and getting picked off one by one long before a dynasty can emerge. Years of falling short has a terrible effect on players' motivation to stay.

edit: You also need to reconsider your statement that we can't catch up to Liverpool before then. What you mean to say is Ole can't catch up to Klopp and Liverpool before then (or ever if I'm being honest). Pretty telling that many people backing him don't even have enough faith in him to hold him to any kind of high expectation. Apparently we are just supposed to stick with him and wait and see what happens after 5 years. God help us if we do that only to reach 2024 and realise we wasted all that time on the wrong man
How the hell does anybody look at this squad and think it's 4-5 years away from winning titles again is beyond me. We are a transfer window away from challenging for major titles. Which is why fans are becoming agitated about Ole and even the prospect of getting Pochettino. Because we are close to having a squad that can challenge and so we need a good coach that can win us titles.

MrSingh2002

I wonder when we'll see the poll hit 50/50. Doesn't seem like there's enough consensus yet for Woodward to off Ole.

Kajus

What the hell happened to this place? I've been lurking here for years and I swear I remember this place having some of the best quality content out there. The discussions used to be rational, reasoned and very interesting to read. Looking at this thread now and it's no better twitter. Even reddit has higher standards nowadays. We have posters

- Actively wishing we lose games
- Claiming Ole is in top 3 worst managers of the league
- Claiming Ole is worse than Moyes
- Calling Ole a P.E. teacher

All this about a manager that finished 3rd last season and got to FA cup and Europa League semi finals. How can functioning adults be actually thinking so irrationally? I can't wrap my head around what kind of thought process goes on in people's head to make claims like that. Ole has been underperforming this season, that is true, but most of the stuff written here would have you believe we barely escaped relegation last season. Is everyone here just wumming?

Eriku

I've seen enough. I said after the Spurs humiliation that I was willing to overlook the poor start to the season because of the fitness issues and the transfer window being open causing uncertainty but he would have no excuses after the international break but we have been just as uninspiring as ever since then.

It's been nearly two years, that's long enough to know it isn't going to get much better than this.
With three wins, a draw, and a loss? With two of the wins being against top opposition? Give over.

NJM78

What the hell happened to this place? I've been lurking here for years and I swear I remember this place having some of the best quality content out there. The discussions used to be rational, reasoned and very interesting to read. Looking at this thread now and it's no better twitter. Even reddit has higher standards nowadays. We have posters

- Actively wishing we lose games
- Claiming Ole is in top 3 worst managers of the league
- Claiming Ole is worse than Moyes
- Calling Ole a P.E. teacher

All this about a manager that finished 3rd last season and got to FA cup and Europa League semi finals. How can functioning adults be actually thinking so irrationally? I can't wrap my head around what kind of thought process goes on in people's head to make claims like that. Ole has been underperforming this season, that is true, but most of the stuff written here would have you believe we barely escaped relegation last season. Is everyone here just wumming?
I'm ole out have been since day one, only thought he would do the caretaker thing but the club acted too quickly and gave him the job full time.

As for some of the disparaging remarks, ole in people on here no doubt wanted Jose gone when he go us 2nd, won the Europa league, league Cup and got to FA Cup final...calling him names like virus etc.

If Ole had not done what he did do for the club as a player, the poll would be much less favourable I'm sure.

Wishing losing and name calling is not necessary of course.

Kajus

I'm ole out have been since day one, only thought he would do the caretaker thing but the club acted too quickly and gave him the job full time.

As for some of the disparaging remarks, ole in people on here no doubt wanted Jose gone when he go us 2nd, won the Europa league, league Cup and got to FA Cup final...calling him names like virus etc.

If Ole had not done what he did do for the club as a player, the poll would be much less favourable I'm sure.

Wishing losing and name calling is not necessary of course.
And you're entitled to your opinion, the same way as I am to mine. That's the beauty of internet forums, you get to exchange opinions with people from all around the globe and I love a good argument as long as the other party can adequately reason their point of view. What I can't understand is the passionate personal hate so many people display here, yelling things that are obviously not true just for the sake of it. I can't imagine a grown man honestly thinking that Ole is doing worse than Moyes for example, so what's the reason for so many posts like that?

RUCK4444

And you're entitled to your opinion, the same way as I am to mine. That's the beauty of internet forums, you get to exchange opinions with people from all around the globe and I love a good argument as long as the other party can adequately reason their point of view. What I can't understand is the passionate personal hate so many people display here, yelling things that are obviously not true just for the sake of it. I can't imagine a grown man honestly thinking that Ole is doing worse than Moyes for example, so what's the reason for so many posts like that?
There’s nothing good about a forum to let people have their opinions... I’d vote for a dictatorial forum to cleanse the negativity :D

Eriku

This place has been full of binary thinkers as long as I can recall. Stuff that’s good is brilliant, not so good is shit, with no middle ground.

That said, clearly a lot of people are struggling as they’ve been accustomed to virtually nothing but ups since the 90s. You could even see some losing their shit and their faith in Fergie as he was doing his mid-naughties rebuild. Sack Fergie Sell Giggs aren’t pure inventions.

Foxbatt

Fergie had a track record of winning and creating great teams. Ole doesn't.

NJM78

Of course I love debate and just ignore the idiots (I'm sure plenty put me in ignore also!)
One thing is true for me at least, Ole needs to start winning league games. We drop lower than 15th his days are rightly numbered.

Yeah the whole Moyes thing is ridiculous. Moyes is the worst thing this club has done in my time supporting the club. Glazers also say hi.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Bizarre alright.
It's bizarre but we've been put in this situation by our board for being indecisive. Ole should have been gone after Tottenham like Kovac was with Bayern after they got beaten by 5.

Our board are happy for us to meander around the 4/5/6 place and hope we find some form/luck or whatever.

So I'm at a point where I just feel for fans that are desperate with the club and I don't blame them. They've been put in a position where they know that only a horrific loss of form would possibly make Woodward act.

We're in a horrible place in terms of how the club is run and to be fair, sacking Ole, won't change much as we'll still have these underlying problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.