Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
ANOTHER QUESTION FOR PEOPLE VOTING "SACK"

If we get Pogba, AWB, Martial & Shaw back and we put in an amazing performance v Liverpool and beat them 3-0...

Would you change your vote to "KEEP"?
I don't think we would be where we are if it was as simple as that to sort things out.

We don't appear to have a system of play and that is that issue more than the personnel. Even if the players aren't good enough, if they play to a defined system, they can look better that the sum of the parts. Our players are far better than what we are seeing on the pitch. This is why, with a heavy heart, I changed my vote. Unfortunately, I don't think Ole is capable of turning things around.

Craig Ward

I'd say keep.

Reasoning.

We haven't had stability for a LONG time.

Context:
Moyes / LVG / Jose

All wasted millions on average players and did not overhaul the squad. This leaves Ole with 4 MANAGERS worth of players who have declined, have no motivation to be a success here and are basically stealing a living.

What Ole has shown already in ONE transfer window is the ability to identify players whom he believes are young/hungry and can improve. The first transfer window where there is a clear transfer strategy since Fergie's days. What Ole has also done in this window is be ruthless, something previous managers could not.

Are we currently in poor form? Yes
Would we be in current poor form with the same squad? Yes

We are in transition. You don't win with style in transition.

Ole is re-building. Re-building takes time / effort / dedication. If we are going to sack Ole so soon, what was the point? Why sack Moyes? Why Sack LVG? Why Sack Jose?

The way this club is run is the major issue. But unless we stay patient. We'll sack ole, hire new guy - repeat every season.

It will get better. everyone calm down

Sentient Meat

If we wanted to stick with someone, it should have been Jose. This would be like sticking with Neville Chamberlain during wartime.

Rafaeldagold

I'd say keep.

Reasoning.

We haven't had stability for a LONG time.

Context:
Moyes / LVG / Jose

All wasted millions on average players and did not overhaul the squad. This leaves Ole with 4 MANAGERS worth of players who have declined, have no motivation to be a success here and are basically stealing a living.

What Ole has shown already in ONE transfer window is the ability to identify players whom he believes are young/hungry and can improve. The first transfer window where there is a clear transfer strategy since Fergie's days. What Ole has also done in this window is be ruthless, something previous managers could not.

Ole is re-building. Re-building takes time / effort / dedication. If we are going to sack Ole so soon, what was the point? Why sack Moyes? Why Sack LVG? Why Sack Jose?

The way this club is run is the major issue. But unless we stay patient. We'll sack ole, hire new guy - repeat every season.

It will get better. everyone calm down
Utter bollcks.

Open your eyes- stability with a shite manager isn’t real stability

I would stick with him for now. This mess isn't his fault; the problems are longstanding and run deep. We can't keep sacking managers and thinking we will be challengers again. This is a long road back to the top.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
A question for everybody.
Which manager has succeeded to turn around a team, when he has survived a stay of execution (sacking), apart
from Sir Alex.
I’m talking about worldwide, Ive been watching football for over 60 years, I cannot think of anyone.
Pretty much never in top flight football. SAF was a once in a lifetime manager and he had a once in a lifetime generation of youth and people need to realize that that’s never happening again.

manunited1919

People who want Ole to stay are thinking “I don’t want Ole in the sack”. Well, nobody really wants that. But it will just delay the inevitable, and if things look bad now, they will be much worse the longer we dither.

sweetmgd

I would stick with him for now. This mess isn't his fault; the problems are longstanding and run deep. We can't keep sacking managers and thinking we will be challengers again. This is a long road back to the top.
Agree. We should give him more time and next year i am confident we can be back to the top of English Championship.

manunited1919

And now it’s become a short road to the bottom. Hope you enjoy our relegation battle.

I Am Zlatan

Funny how it works for literally every other successful club.
works good for Chelsea, city, and real.. even lesser teams sack their managers when things aren’t going right.. But we shouldn’t, because we should stick to what worked 30 years ago with one of a kind manager, we shouldn’t evolve..

I mean don’t get me wrong, I rather us no swap managers every other season, but we have to find the correct one and build on that. Giving Ole time would only drop us further behind.

Craig Ward

Utter bollcks.

Open your eyes- stability with a shite manager isn’t real stability
My eyes are open.

Its the narrow minded fans with only short term logic that's the issue.

Hire Poch - watch him spend 200mil then fail, then Hire allegri - repeat. We have become masters in wasting money and hiring the wrong managers only thinking short term.

Why don't you open your eyes?

The way the club is run is the issue, not Ole. Ole is changing the squad, changing the background staff, all under Ed Woodward (who no utd manager has succeeded under).

acrebo

Yep. I'm actually impressed with Lampard, so far. Early days but you could see straight away the good work him & his team had done in pre-season. The 4-0 at OT was a bit lucky for us, then they out played Liverpool in the super cup.

The improvement he's made in Abraham is mad as well. This is one of the big things we want from a manager. Player improvement. We could tolerate bad results more if there was. But under Ole everyone seems to be regressing.
This is exactly it for me. Everyone knew there would be ups and downs with someone like Ole in charge of a predominantly inexperienced squad, but the lack of excitement and youthful exuberance is absolutely damning. Confidence obviously plays a huge part but the players, on the whole, are just getting worse individually every week.

Seeing what Lampard and Rodgers are doing, albeit still on a short-term basis, just highlights the difference in quality in terms of tactical awareness and coaching ability they possess.

nainaisson

I'm not for sacking him, but Ole made his bed by allowing so many players to leave when he should have known the greedy, incompetent a-holes who run the club wouldn't replace them. Also, the number of players we have out with muscle injuries indicates there's something majorly wrong with his training regimen.

Enigma_87

You know who
My eyes are open.

Its the narrow minded fans with only short term logic that's the issue.

Hire Poch - watch him spend 200mil then fail, then Hire allegri - repeat. We have become masters in wasting money and hiring the wrong managers only thinking short term.

Why don't you open your eyes?

The way the club is run is the issue, not Ole. Ole is changing the squad, changing the background staff, all under Ed Woodward (who no utd manager has succeeded under).
Yes classic - we lose money on every sale, but we will make it up in volume!

How is having an inept manager who has practically made all players worse bar McT is good for the future, please enlighten us?

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24

Ability to identify players? Maguire is an established international, who would have already been at the club, had Mourinho been backed. AWB was known to everyone. James would still be playing in the Championship at Leeds, if Swansea hadn’t pulled out of the deal. That’s his level at the moment. Decent signings but only decent.

He hasn’t been Ruthless, more reckless. He has made Ashley Young club captain. He desperately wanted Mata to stay, who got a new contract. He has made the squad considerably weaker.

We’ve been in poor form since March, but the football hasn’t been good since December.

Of course you can win with style in transition, you can also just win in transition. We aren’t doing either.

Craig Ward

Yes classic - we lose money on every sale, but we will make it up in volume!

How is having an inept manager who has practically made all players worse bar McT is good for the future, please enlighten us?
Moyes/LVG and Jose all had the same issue - under performing players, this isn't a new trend under Ole.

Players have in spells also looked very good under Ole. Ole hasn't made the players worse.

Ole bears the brunt of the blame as manager, but when international players simply put little to no effort in game after game, what can he do? Players need to step up.

Enigma_87

You know who
Moyes/LVG and Jose all had the same issue - under performing players, this isn't a new trend under Ole.

Players have in spells also looked very good under Ole. Ole hasn't made the players worse.

Ole bears the brunt of the blame as manager, but when international players simply put little to no effort in game after game, what can he do? Players need to step up.
All players have regressed under Ole. Name those who improved?

Ole absolutely bears the blame for under performing players, just like Jose and LvG do - this is why they are the managers. They need to blow smoke up their asses, replace them, bin them, whatever but you need man management and is one of the most important abilities of a manager.

At the end of the day - our game has regressed, our results have regressed, our players have regressed and the squad was sold off and not being replaced.

I'm sorry but majority of this is Ole's fault who oversaw this. Neither LvG or Jose started a season like this and neither of them were threatened of relegation.

We need root and branch change at the club. Until the boardroom is sorted we are going nowhere. The owners have no interest in the club, other than revenue; the chief executive is a clown who completely left Ole hanging in the breeze during the transfer window. Ole has been left with an almost impossible task, and I don't think he should carry the can for this shambles.

Of course results are unacceptable: eleven away games without a win is appalling, and I can fully understand the sentiment that the manager is ultimately responsible for results. However, I think it would be another case of re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. We keep sacking managers and keep sinking further into the mire. I certainly don't have all the answers, but, all things considered, I would allow Ole more time to work with what is a very mediocre squad. If things are no better in the near future, he will be sacked; though I fear it will make little difference without major changes in the boardroom.

romufc

People who want Ole to stay are thinking “I don’t want Ole in the sack”. Well, nobody really wants that. But it will just delay the inevitable, and if things look bad now, they will be much worse the longer we dither.
Exactly, you have faith in a manager if he has played good football and looked like turning things around.

The games he won as caretaker were all new manager bounce, since his appointment he has not convinced anyone.

Kammy26

It maybe not a new trend but it’s never been this bad under Moyes, LVG or Mourinho.

Tbh we haven’t appointed a progressive, modern, forward thinking coach at his peak since saf retired. Moyes is Moyes a dinosaur, LVG was finished at club level, Mourinho was finished at the highest level and ole is just not a very good manager.

The 3 before ole have gone on to have magnificent spells at other clubs since leaving United right? NO!!! they haven’t they can’t even get a job, which shows how poor these managers are.

We need someone new, someone with fresh ideas, attacking style of play. There are managers out there it’s the boards job to find the right person.

We can bitch and moan about the glazers all day long the fact is they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, so the best thing for us is to try and get the best most suitable manager possible. Which let’s be honest is not ole in a million years

gza the genius

Keep him for now. I don’t think he is the answer but I don’t think rushing in to sack him and bringing in someone else who has no real chance of succeeding at the moment is the right answer either.

Ideally we hang on to him until close to Christmas and then bring in someone with similar ideals to carry on his revamp of the club and hopefully give them some money to improve in the winter transfer window.

We need to take our time with the next appointment and make sure we bring in the right person, ideally someone who won’t want to completely restart from what Ole has done in terms of players out and desired players in. I don’t think firing Ole now, or anytime soon, will allow us to bring in who we need.

Last edited:

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Ole is not the guy moving forward IMO. The question is not if he gets let go, but when. Obviously, we are not winning a damn thing this year, so unless we start flirting with relegation, I say we keep him and take our lumps. However, next year we need to bring in a legitimate manager to start the rebuild on the right foot. Considering the dire state of the club, we are going to need all the help we can get with recruitment next summer. Trying to lure top level players to United with Ole continuing at the helm is going to be incredibly difficult.

The rebuild was never meant to start with Ole; it was just a very strange set of circumstances that led to him being named permanent manager, so time to rip the band aid off and let a real manager get started. I'd prefer to wait until after this season is over, so that the new manager doesn't have the stink of this season on him before the summer transfer window.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Keep him for now. I don’t think he is the answer but I don’t think rushing in to sack him and bringing in someone else who has no real chance of succeeding at the moment is the right answer either.

Ideally we hang on to him until close to Christmas and then bring in someone with similar ideals to carry on his revamp of the club and hopefully give them some money to improve in the winter transfer window.

We need to take our time with the next appointment and make sure we bring in the right person, ideally someone who won’t want to completely restart from what Ole has done in terms of players out and desired players in. I don’t think fitting Ole now, or anytime soon, will allow us to bring in who we need.
I can see where you're coming from but what are his ideals? I've genuinely seen nothing beyond "Sign 'em British and sign 'em young!", am I missing something obvious?

He hasn't implemented any sort of playstyle, he clearly hasn't fixed our coaching and fitness issues, he hasn't changed the way our players play, he hasn't done any more with youngsters than previous managers, if anything he's probably been worse because his naivety in the transfer window has put unnecessary pressure on them. He hasn't gotten players playing better.

So I guess if the next manager's ideals are also to

A) sign young n' British
B) see A

then we're all set now, and why wait?

gza the genius

I can see where you're coming from but what are his ideals? I've genuinely seen nothing beyond "Sign 'em British and sign 'em young!", am I missing something obvious?

He hasn't implemented any sort of playstyle, he clearly hasn't fixed our coaching and fitness issues, he hasn't changed the way our players play, he hasn't done any more with youngsters than previous managers, if anything he's probably been worse because his naivety in the transfer window has put unnecessary pressure on them. He hasn't gotten players playing better.

So I guess if the next manager's ideals are also to

A) sign young n' British
B) see A

then we're all set now, and why wait?
I think he’s trying (very unsuccessfully) to implement a pressing style on this team with quick hard working energetic players. Basically I just don’t want us to revert to any big name manager available, ie another Mourinho or LVG. We need someone progressive who can actually implement that playing style.

RedCurry

I've voted for keeping him. But the next couple of games may change my mind because I am genuinely concerned about relegation. We might have to make the pragmatic decision of bringing in someone who can at least make us finish in top half of the table so we can live to fight another day. I am clutching at the straws, but maybe if we get a couple of players back from injury the results could look different.

Sanche7

So I guess we are waiting for Pool to give us a proper hiding, which will turn the fans against Ole and then the board can say, well, we don’t like sacking the manager, but you know, it’s Liverpool and the fans have turned on him, so there is nothing we could do.

kopviolator

The squad has been rotten for years. Everyone has seen it and so far nothing has been done about it. It's a complete hack job and now it's being done. It's painful and it will take time but it has to be done and Ole is stuck in the swamp. As far as I'm concerned this is the result of gross mismanagement at board level, intolerable recruitment and non-football related club policy. In the meantime, Ole has to work with what he's got although obviously the league standing is unacceptable.

I agree he probably is in over his head but I put ALL the blame on the fecking board and I don't believe there is a manager out there that can work wonders with the group we've got. So I say keep for now.

fergiesarmy1

So I guess we are waiting for Pool to give us a proper hiding, which will turn the fans against Ole and then the board can say, well, we don’t like sacking the manager, but you know, it’s Liverpool and the fans have turned on him, so there is nothing we could do.
I think if Liverpool do rinse us the glazers, the board and the players will get it especially the walk of shame at the end of the game for some of the players. Don’t think they would turn on Ole yet.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I read it all but just wanted to respond to a couple of points...

Klopp left Dortmund in a state. I believe Poch is 100% the best candidate despite what is happening at Spurs at the moment. In fact it is advantageous to us that his Spurs tenure seems to be coming to a close.

where do people get this stuff from. I read so much revisionism and just plain made up stuff on here these days, especially with this obsession of comparing Poch now and Klopp's final season at Dortmund

He left Dortmund in a fine state, a club in financial mess when he arrived with a mediocre squad was now on an even footing, with a good squad of players, without many tweaks needed (not his fault Tuchel then went on to fall out with a load of players), and a club who'd qualified for Europe 6 years running. The only downside was not being in CL that year - but we where still in Europe, and in the end it didn't set the club back, at all.

So anyway, carry on, just these odd comments man!

USREDEVIL

I've decided I'm clinically mad or suffering from Stockholm syndrome but I think that we should ride this shit storm out. Let the players who have a little bit of quality return (your Pogbas and Martials and AWB's), get some decent performances and points and see where we are in December. Horrible dip in form but I think we can overcome it. Going back to my bouncy room.

Status
Not open for further replies.