Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
After listening to another presser from Ole, I really just can't wait for him to be gone.
Just watched it. Amazing. After 2 years he is still talking about bumps on the road. But i give him one thing; he is clever fecker. He always, when results are bad, casually throws some excuses without saying them as excuses. Like today when he reminded all how we beat RB and PSG. Or how it is a long term process etc...

I would take Moyes back right now. His football is at least more exciting with billion crosses :D

Enigma_87

You know who
Mou was certainly interested in the guy but I very much doubt that United would spend 80m , in cash, on 1 player without Ole's consent. I agree though that Maguire at United doesn't make sense. Teams tend to defend deep against us which means that we have to take risks and commit players forward. Having a CB whose as fast as GOT old nan doesn't really make sense.
To me we bought him based on reputation and on autopilot considering we needed one and we have been looking at him the Summer before. We, once again, put zero thought whether or not he will fit in a different formation and style of play.

His resale value is also pretty low to me,compared to what we bought him for. I mean he's on 200k for a 28 going 29 CB next summer...

jamesjimmybyrondean

Just watched it. Amazing. After 2 years he is still talking about bumps on the road. But i give him one thing; he is clever fecker. He always, when results are bad, casually throws some excuses without saying them as excuses. Like today when he reminded all how we beat RB and PSG. Or how it is a long term process etc...

I would take Moyes back right now. His football is at least more exciting with billion crosses :D
It really isn't

jamesjimmybyrondean

Well, he spent 250m for a start. On an alternate world, we could have had the British Spine with Dunk,Aarons for 80m tops and used the rest of the money for Sancho.

Sad to say but his signings has been terrible and not value for money.
Easy to say. Very few people wanted Dunk in here. But I agree that his signings is terrible value for money but that's just Maguire. I don't think anybody was complaining about Awb for 45m back then

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Easy to say. Very few people wanted Dunk in here. But I agree that his signings is terrible value for money but that's just Maguire. I don't think anybody was complaining about Awb for 45m back then
Lot of people said that AWB is poor on the ball and is overpriced. But again, people have different opinions and Ole should have used his best judgment . If this is what his best judgment is, then God save us.

LUC1f3R

Completely agree with you. Ole knows Woodward will give him more time else it will look as another Woodward mistake. I wish as a legend Ole understand club is not going forward and offer to resign than dragging it on.
Felt the same about Moyes. Felt he would be the 1st manager to get the boot with their early fixtures but he proved everyone wrong. Seems like he learned from his mistakes.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
After listening to another presser from Ole, I really just can't wait for him to be gone.
Join the club. Even journalists are asking how he is feeling? The manager of Manchester United being so defeatist, it's so embarrassing.

Greck

People did. Thought he and James were athletes and not technical enough for a team who wanted to play an expansive style. AWB somewhat redeemed himself as I didn't expect him to be that good defensively but hated last summer's transfer business in its entirety. Could see it from a mile away that we were overlooking how they would fit in. Double for Maguire

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't think he'll be sacked any time soon but if/when he does I'm resigned to having the same conversations about the next guy a few months down the line.
What does that mean? This squad of players is much better than what we're seeing. Ole failing means he's incompetent. If we hire a better manager we won't improve?

McTerminator

I don’t disagree with people saying Ole needs sacking. A loss to Everton and it’s pretty hard to argue against it.

However, what are you going to do when the next guy comes in and fails?
Some of you lot deserve Woodward and the Glazers.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Because we've seen it enough times before now. We overrate the players we do have and still have glaring weaknesses in the squad. So there isn't a manager that gives me any great hope that we'll be much different to now especially in the short term.

The last time I had high hopes was Mourinho, I've long learnt that one man isn't going to wave a magic wand to turn us round.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Lot of people said that AWB is poor on the ball and is overpriced. But again, people have different opinions and Ole should have used his best judgment . If this is what his best judgment is, then God save us.
People did. Thought he and James were athletes and not technical enough for a team who wanted to play an expansive style. AWB somewhat redeemed himself as I didn't expect him to be that good defensively but hated last summer's transfer business in its entirety. Could see it from a mile away that we were overlooking how they would fit in. Double for Maguire
Ah fair enough

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don’t disagree with people saying Ole needs sacking. A loss to Everton and it’s pretty hard to argue against it.

However, what are you going to do when the next guy comes in and fails?
Some of you lot deserve Woodward and the Glazers.
Sack him too? I don't understand this logic. You don't reward failure. Among Woodward Glazers and the Manager when all three of these positions are underperforming only one position can change unfortunately

Eriku

Well when you're comparing it against Ole, I can't blame him.
Sure you can. Moyes was working with the league winners, with players like Rio, Vidic, Carrick, RvP, Rooney, Evra, Giggs. He inherited a team with a winning mentality, and drove them away as well as firing the coaching staff who’ve been a part of a serial winning outfit. Ole’s had to try to reinstall a semblance of that mentality, and it’s a tall order.

Ole’s United is not looking good right now, but Moyes bears huge responsibility for our transitioning into mediocrity in general. Anybody comparing him to Moyes has terrible memory.

hobbers

I hated the signings of Maguire and AWB last year. I would have taken a gamble of a far less well known CB for half the money (despite what we saw happen with Bailly and Lindelof). And I'd rather we signed Max Aarons or Meunier for RB. We'd have saved probably £40-50m that could have gone towards Sancho, or signed a proper Matic replacement at the point we actually needed to sign one.

Obviously once it was clear we were after AWB and Maguire with seemingly no fall back, well you just have to hope you're wrong. AWB is young and a good defender at least. But my god is he shit with the ball at his feet. Maguire is a mediocre CB who has fluked his prime being in an era where there are barely any good ones around. The one thing you can say in his favour is that he's stayed fit.

I hated the signings of Maguire and AWB last year. I would have taken a gamble of a far less well known CB for half the money (despite what we saw happen with Bailly and Lindelof). And I'd rather we signed Max Aarons or Meunier for RB. We'd have saved probably £40-50m that could have gone towards Sancho, or signed a proper Matic replacement at the point we actually needed to sign one.

Obviously once it was clear we were after AWB and Maguire with seemingly no fall back, well you just have to hope you're wrong. AWB is young and a good defender at least. But my god is he shit with the ball at his feet. Maguire is a mediocre CB who has fluked his prime being in an era where there are barely any good ones around. The one thing you can say in his favour is that he's stayed fit.
Yeah Menuier was my first choice for RB, i think he would have been a good short term option that would fill thr gap then allow us to go back into the market when a more suitable RB was available. I like AWB but i think he suited to a team that dont want to have possession.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Regardless of the result tomorrow, he's got to go. We could win the next 5 games but you all know we'll be back here again before long.

I have nothing against Ole but he's simply not the right guy for this job. Poch has achieved more in terms of improving a team, massively more, so he should take us forward.

tomaldinho1

Sure you can. Moyes was working with the league winners, with players like Rio, Vidic, Carrick, RvP, Rooney, Evra, Giggs. He inherited a team with a winning mentality, and drove them away as well as firing the coaching staff who’ve been a part of a serial winning outfit. Ole’s had to try to reinstall a semblance of that mentality, and it’s a tall order.

Ole’s United is not looking good right now, but Moyes bears huge responsibility for our transitioning into mediocrity in general. Anybody comparing him to Moyes has terrible memory.
This would only make sense if Ole had this kind of track record as a coach but the point is, he doesn't. He is an experienced coach in minor leagues (no disrespect as I see you're in Oslo) but, in the same same way a major corporation hires it's senior people from other major corporations, it's unprecedented to jump from the Eliteserien to the Premier League.

I honestly don't think mentality is an issue with the majority of our team, I've said this a few times on here but the one thing that separates Ole from Moyes, LVG and Mou is he still has not been able to implement his game plan on the players; Moyes, LVG and Mou all did. Whether it worked or not is another question but that is what a coach's job boils down to - you have an idea of how to play football and you coach your team how to do it, regardless of the players at your disposal. If it works you can add better players and hopefully win trophies, if it doesn't you are sacked.

Ole's idea is perfect on paper but it's just words unless we actually see it on the pitch and that is the key reason people think he's out of his depth. Results, signings and team selection/subs all factor in but as a fan all I ask is for some evidence to allow me to believe in a project... sadly that simply does not currently exist.

Amir

Because we've seen it enough times before now. We overrate the players we do have and still have glaring weaknesses in the squad. So there isn't a manager that gives me any great hope that we'll be much different to now especially in the short term.

The last time I had high hopes was Mourinho, I've long learnt that one man isn't going to wave a magic wand to turn us round.
The right man can make a huge difference though. Getting more out of players we have, getting the right players in. There are no magic solutions. It's a matter of good, hard work. Getting a manager who can do that would be a major step forward. Without one, we really won't get anywhere.

I'm a big Mourinho fan so his failure was a big let down, but he's just not the same manager anymore.

Colin Clarke

Mou was certainly interested in the guy but I very much doubt that United would spend 80m , in cash, on 1 player without Ole's consent. I agree though that Maguire at United doesn't make sense. Teams tend to defend deep against us which means that we have to take risks and commit players forward. Having a CB whose as fast as GOT old nan doesn't really make sense.
Well according to past managers Depay, Di Maria, Fred to name 3 I know of where not wanted by the Manager when the club signed them. So I do not trust Woodward and the board.

Judas

Open to offers
Truth be told I think Ole has done brilliantly, he's over performed and he can leave proud of his work, because he's had no right to finish 3rd in the league. But he's gone as far as he can, and anything further is likely to cause more harm than good. We can't continue to tread water, he has hit his ceiling as our manager.

Colin Clarke

Ole need to show some guts and bench the players who aren't doing their job, because they may just be throwing him under the bus. How many of this team are played out of position? Being asked to do a job they haven't trained all their lives to do? Tactics really, these guys are supposed to be ADULT PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS, not kids learning the game. They should be Man enough to realize " this isn't working right now, we are exposed, I need to do this or that to help the team", but maybe Keane and now Souness are right, there are NO LEADERS on the field willing to step up and go that extra mile to drive the team forward. Ole says that the lack of fans is effecting the team and their motivation well maybe a paycut if you don't win might motivate them. Ole isn't perfect and he probably isn't the right man for the job but the players aren't blameless either.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
People honestly believe no manager can succeed at United under Woodward rather than accepting that the biggest problem our board has isn't damaging the managers chances of success - but just appointing the wrong men.
Yeah, Liverpool had plenty of false dawns and they were complaining about their owners being leeches as well until they signed Klopp and he transformed their club around.

The club might be bad at doing deals, but nobody can deny that we've actually outspent most clubs in the league be it under LVG, Mourinho and Ole. Getting a manager who's an upgrade over Ole is an easy job, the key thing is to appoint the right guy, that's the part where I've no faith in the club.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Its so easy to blame Moyes but the fact is LVG pretty much had the same squad after an year and yet, he failed. Jose and LVG had enough money to make us champions again. Point is, SAF was a phenomenon who created champions out of nothing.

FatherWolff

How do you reckon? I don't think AWB, Maguire, James for example hold the same value compared to Lukaku and Pogba.

His buys are pretty much in line with what we have seen with previous managers.
Wow. There you are again. That’s three times you posted since last Christmas. Burnley loss, Tottenham hammering and now, when you smell more blood! Where were you after PSG and RBL?
What’s up Adam? You not happy at planet swans anymore?

Ole is not going anywhere anytime soon, so you guys just have to suck it up at strap in!

Amir

Getting a manager who's an upgrade over Ole is an easy job, the key thing is to appoint the right guy, that's the part where I've no faith in the club.
True, but to be fair to United - there's never a right, clear way to choose a manager. The biggest, best run clubs in the world get it wrong. We just have to keep trying and hopefully with better knowledge about what potholes to avoid based on our last four selections.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Just reading this Andy Mitten article in The Athletic.

He said this:

In polls today on United forums, more fans want Solksjaer to go than stay
He's obviously not been on here then!

Spark

I think you might be a bit late to the party or never got the memo, as that has been clear as day since 2013 pal.
I'm not blind pal, I'm aware they're a useless bunch of twats. However, my point is that the decision to give Ole the job under zero pressure is probably the clearest example of sheer incompetence since 2013. Maybe Moyes was worse, however sadly Fergie had a big say in that particular episode.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
True, but to be fair to United - there's never a right, clear way to choose a manager. The biggest, best run clubs in the world get it wrong. We just have to keep trying and hopefully with better knowledge about what potholes to avoid based on our last four selections.
Yeah, but they don't wait till it's too late before doing the inevitable.

We just love to drag it on till the season is basically lost and everybody is in poor morale before doing what should have been done ages ago.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well according to past managers Depay, Di Maria, Fred to name 3 I know of where not wanted by the Manager when the club signed them. So I do not trust Woodward and the board.
Ole played maguire immediately, he played him in almost every game and he made him captain at record time. He is Ole's signing

Eriku

This would only make sense if Ole had this kind of track record as a coach but the point is, he doesn't. He is an experienced coach in minor leagues (no disrespect as I see you're in Oslo) but, in the same same way a major corporation hires it's senior people from other major corporations, it's unprecedented to jump from the Eliteserien to the Premier League.

I honestly don't think mentality is an issue with the majority of our team, I've said this a few times on here but the one thing that separates Ole from Moyes, LVG and Mou is he still has not been able to implement his game plan on the players; Moyes, LVG and Mou all did. Whether it worked or not is another question but that is what a coach's job boils down to - you have an idea of how to play football and you coach your team how to do it, regardless of the players at your disposal. If it works you can add better players and hopefully win trophies, if it doesn't you are sacked.

Ole's idea is perfect on paper but it's just words unless we actually see it on the pitch and that is the key reason people think he's out of his depth. Results, signings and team selection/subs all factor in but as a fan all I ask is for some evidence to allow me to believe in a project... sadly that simply does not currently exist.
Is it? It’s not the Premier League, but Guardiola and Zidane certainly made a crazy jump. Not saying automatically Ole’s on their level, but to call that sort of thing unprecedented doesn’t fly with me.

And Ole knows a lot more what it takes to win over time than Moyes, he understands the pressures of being a United player, which I think most people on this forum aren’t even close to appreciating the significance of.

Last edited:

Eriku

Its so easy to blame Moyes but the fact is LVG pretty much had the same squad after an year and yet, he failed. Jose and LVG had enough money to make us champions again. Point is, SAF was a phenomenon who created champions out of nothing.
Minus Evra, Rio, and Vidic, a significant part of our spine. They were on the way down, but I think we would have benefitted from keeping them a bit longer.

On the rest I agree. Fergie did something amazing. And Mourinho and LvG both failed in the long term, that’s true. Ole kind of made things hard for himself as well, by thinking long term and getting shot of certain players quickly without replacements ready. Putting the club ahead of his interests. Which is another reason I think the Moyes comparison is ludicrous.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
To me we bought him based on reputation and on autopilot considering we needed one and we have been looking at him the Summer before. We, once again, put zero thought whether or not he will fit in a different formation and style of play.

His resale value is also pretty low to me,compared to what we bought him for. I mean he's on 200k for a 28 going 29 CB next summer...
An 'autopilot' signing wouldn't make his way to first team from day 1. He wouldn't end up playing most of the games and he'll certainly wouldn't end up club captain in record time. Ole wanted Maguire and he wanted him desperately. Actually I think that things worked in the opposite way.

a- Mou lost the club's trust
b- He wanted Maguire and Woodward denied him the player because they felt that he's not worth the money
c- Mou got sacked, Ole came to OT and he won Woodward's trust
d- Ole asked for Maguire
e- Woodward was more at ease to spend silly money on Maguire this time round because he trusted Ole.

Amir

Yeah, but they don't wait till it's too late before doing the inevitable.

We just love to drag it on till the season is basically lost and everybody is in poor morale before doing what should have been done ages ago.
Yep, that's an issue as well.

MrSingh2002

Ole, McKenna and Carrick are too soft. I felt that from the start. They sit there gormless during the games and I wouldn't be surprised if they were incapable of giving underperforming players direct feedback.

Seems like they have to only bypass problems by selling players and buying new ones. That's nowhere near as impressive as getting the best out of a squad which is probably why there are calls for Pochettino right now. Atleast he's got the best he could get from his Southampton and Spurs sides.

tomaldinho1

Is it? It’s not the Premier League, but Guardiola and Zidane certainly made a crazy jump. Not saying automatically Ole’s on their level, but to call that sort of thing unprecedented doesn’t fly with me.

And Ole knows a lot more what it takes to win over time than Moyes, he understands the pressures of being a United player, which I think most people on this forum aren’t even close to appreciating the importance of.
As you say, it's not the PL. I can't think of any examples of Pep/Zidane in the PL which is kind of the point, they are complete outliers and from a very different league.

My point is it is unprecedented for any PL club to sign a manager whose sole experience in the biggest ~10 leagues in Europe was getting sacked in less than a season. Nothing against the Norwegian league and respect to Ole for winning it with Molde but there are levels when it comes to managerial jobs and the league where Lord Bendtner can finish top scorer is not the league I would want to be picking my United manager from if that was the only success on their resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.