Would you take 2nd next year if offered now?

Dante

Average bang
Depends on whether Real come in for Suarez. Hopefully he'll have a good World Cup (yuck) and Liverpool will get skinned for him. If that happens, I think LVG will get us top 4 quite comfortably and 2nd will seem like low target.

If Liverpool can keep their squad in tact, getting ahead of them, City, Chelsea and Arsenal will be much harder. 2nd would then be a much more appealing offer.

redevil2

Depends on whether Real come in for Suarez. Hopefully he'll have a good World Cup (yuck) and Liverpool will get skinned for him. If that happens, I think LVG will get us top 4 quite comfortably and 2nd will seem like low target.

If Liverpool can keep their squad in tact, getting ahead of them, City, Chelsea and Arsenal will be much harder. 2nd would then be a much more appealing offer.
A serious question: why would anyone think 2nd is appealing? If we can't win the title, I don't give a hoot whether we are 2nd, 3rd or 4th... Being 2nd hurts more IMHO

Adebesi

Its a tough one but I dont think Id take 2nd if offered now. At the end of the day if we miss out on second but come 3rd or 4th that isnt the end of the world, as long as we get into the CL. The difference between coming first and second is much bigger than the difference between coming second and forth, for me.

And Im confident enough in our ability to get back into the top 4 to gamble on it.

Dante

Average bang
A serious question: why would anyone think 2nd is appealing? If we can't win the title, I don't give a hoot whether we are 2nd, 3rd or 4th... Being 2nd hurts more IMHO
It'd be better than 5th behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal all of whom are significantly ahead of us at the moment. There's still a huge amount of uncertainty about what's going to happen next. Until that begins to get clarified, we're all just deciding where to place our bets, be it on 2nd or otherwise.

At the moment, 2nd seems like an alright proposition in light of everything that's happened. The fact that we're in a rebuilding phase means that most will look upon 2nd as good progress.

Jev

Wow this post of yours contains so much contradiction! Sorry have to point this out to you:
1. We are 7th this season not because we are 7th quality. We were 1st about 12 months ago with more or less the same team

We are 7th not because we had a bad team who could only achieve 7th.

2. The so called "need to have a major overhaul" is a myth. You get rid of Vida and who is better to replace him? Rio is older but is there another defender much better than him waiting outside OT to want to come in to sign for us?

And I can say the same thing about other players you want replaced. A major overhaul won't help us. The key is to get the best out of our players and a good manager can do that. A couple of new addition will fix in the next season as we always do under Fergie.

Granted, We don't have these two players next season and hopefully we can replace them under van Gaal but most importantly he needs to get our players confidence back. And after this terrible season, our players know their confidence need to be back and a new manager will only be better (who is worse than Moyes honestly?)

3. If we are still under Moyes, I would not have any optimism and the most from him is 6th or 5th. But he's gone, and everyone seems to agree LvG is a proven winner and he knows how to manage.

4. If you take 2nd now, you are happy with 2nd then fine. But to me second is nothing. If you know you can get to second, why not first?! Seriously who remembes who came second? You will ask me to be realistic but I am! United cannot let another bad season because once we let City get used to be winning, and let Liverpool be a challenger, it would be morse difficult to get back to be dominating like we did in the past 2 decades.

We must be challenging title, not aiming to be 2nd because we know being 2nd hurts so bad! It is no different from 3rd or 4th IMHO:)
You didn't actually point out a single contradiction.

1. No, I think we all agree that we don't have the seventh-best squad in the league. Personally, I certainly don't think we have the best squad either. City are comfortably stronger, Chelsea slightly stronger and with the energy and individual quality of Liverpool's squad, I'd say we're about equal. It's not just about the squad, though, we have become gradually more lethargic during the past few years and are showing no signs of moving in the right direction.

2. It's not a myth. We're losing three important defenders plus most likely at least a couple of midfielders, at least one winger and at least one striker. We're bringing in five or six players. If that's not a major overhaul of the squad then what is?

At the moment, without having seen the summer business, I can't say with any certainty that we'll finish in the top-4. For me, next season will decide whether we'll bounce right back and continue to be a force to be reckoned with, or we'll spend a considerable amount of time not challenging for trophies. With that in mind, I think this is an easy choice.

redevil2

It'd be better than 5th behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal all of whom are significantly ahead of us at the moment. There's still a huge amount of uncertainty about what's going to happen next. Until that begins to get clarified, we're all just deciding where to place our bets, be it on 2nd or otherwise.

At the moment, 2nd seems like an alright proposition in light of everything that's happened. The fact that we're in a rebuilding phase means that most will look upon 2nd as good progress.
Oh my previous statement has a caveat: as long as we are ahead of Liverpool, I don't mind if we are 2nd 3rd or 4th in the unfortunate event that we can't get our trophy back.

Mersault

I would take a revolution in style across all levels at our club. I would take a positive footballing philosophy and getting back to the team being the main thing and individuals not being important outside of being a part of a team. Whether that's 2nd, 4th or 1st is secondary IMV.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I'd take 4th and decent football to be honest, try to sort out this mass lethargy spreading through our players, stabalize back in the Champions League and make a real push for it the year after.
So yes, I'd take 2nd now if offered, just so long as the victims are not the one team above us!

itso 7

I'd take 4th and decent football to be honest, try to sort out this mass lethargy spreading through our players, stabalize back in the Champions League and make a real push for it the year after.
So yes, I'd take 2nd now if offered, just so long as the victims are not the one team above us!
This and if someone offered me second I'd bite their hands off right now . So far we don't have a manager and the one we are likely to hire will only start in mid July, our back four has been decimated with the remaining cornerstones of that being so injury prone, we have no midfield to talk about, our wingers are shite and we are in a situation where we need to make a lot if top class signings on the back of having no CL football to offer . These are a lot of things to get right in just over two months .

ravelston

On current form (particularly if Evra goes) we're a long way behind the top 4 in terms of our first team - and our squad depth really isn't helping. If we don't strengthen significantly, a top 4 place would be a miracle so, yes, I'd take second in a heartbeat. With a new manager and 3-5 top class players I'd be more inclined to wait and see although, realistically, it's unlikely that a rebuilt team is going to win the league at its first attempt.

Jonno

Things aren't as bad as they look. We are better than 7th! We are better than Arsenal, Everton and Spurs. We will sign good players and a world class manager, so I expect us to be anywhere between 1st-4th depending on how well the new manager manages to get us playing. I expect Chelsea to sign a couple of very good players and be favourites. I think 4th will be between Arsenal and Liverpool.

So in short, yes I would take 2nd with the view to building again next summer.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
3 players a must to get us in the top 4.

1. Back up for Rafael who always seems to be injured.
  2. A world class centre back to replace Ferdinand and Vidic
  3. A left back.

Arsenal have been poor since January and still got in top 4 despite a few panics. Get our back 4 sorted and we should be fine.

To get us in a position to challenge for the title.
  1. A world class midfielder.
  2. A winger who will effectively "replace" Nani. Needed if we want to go for a more straightforward 442 which can still be important for home games.
A trophy is important next season aswell. Imagine if had held out v Sunderland and some how beaten City in the League Cup Final? The lift that will have given everyone including Moyes could have changed how the season ended.
With our current squad, there's no reason why we shouldn't go for both cup competitions with no European football.

ravelston

Things aren't as bad as they look. We are better than 7th! We are better than Arsenal, Everton and Spurs. We will sign good players and a world class manager, so I expect us to be anywhere between 1st-4th depending on how well the new manager manages to get us playing. I expect Chelsea to sign a couple of very good players and be favourites. I think 4th will be between Arsenal and Liverpool.

So in short, yes I would take 2nd with the view to building again next summer.
As things stand, and especially if Evra goes, we're not better than Arsenal or Everton, and even with Spurs it's close. Try putting together composite teams and see how many United players are in them.

De Gea; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny/Jones, Gibbs; Arteta, Ramsey; AOC/Januzaj, Mata, Ozil; Rooney

De Gea; Coleman, Jagielka, Jones, Baines; McCarthy, Barkley; Mirallas, Mata, Januzaj; Rooney

It's hard fitting Barkley into a 4231 - and I'm not even going to attempt Spurs - never been able to figure out their formation.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Liverpool weren't that great this season, there were a number of exceptional circumstances that won't happen again:

1. MUFC being in the first year without Fergie (and having Moyes)
2. Liverpool themselves not being in Europe
3. Chelsea still not signing a decent striker.

They also proved that the games against rivals aren't that important. Build a side that's good enough to beat the bottom half home and away and the momentum at times can carry you through.
Look at their squad and then look at City's...

If it wasn't for a mad 10 minutes against Crystal Palace, they would have lost the league by only a few goals.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Liverpool weren't that great this season, there were a number of exceptional circumstances that won't happen again:

1. MUFC being in the first year without Fergie (and having Moyes)
2. Liverpool themselves not being in Europe
3. Chelsea still not signing a decent striker.

They also proved that the games against rivals aren't that important. Build a side that's good enough to beat the bottom half home and away and the momentum at times can carry you through.
Look at their squad and then look at City's...

If it wasn't for a mad 10 minutes against Crystal Palace, they would have lost the league by only a few goals.
You have to worry about Chelsea next year, 2nd year Mourinho syndrome coupled with the real probability of actually getting in a striker or two, they finished only a game or so behind the winners this year.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
You have to worry about Chelsea next year, 2nd year Mourinho syndrome coupled with the real probability of actually getting in a striker or two, they finished only a game or so behind the winners this year.
I'd agree with that, if we get 2/3 of our targets, I could see us finishing 3rd behind City and Chelsea. As said earlier, a trophy is important as long as we finish in the top 4.

Needham

Anywhere in the top four and a strong cup run would be great. We don't need to be chasing the title till the season after.
I like you, Brightonian. You've always been good to me. And I've always been good to me. But in this response, you sound nothing short of full blown Kop End. I don't think we need to discuss it anymore. Empty your locker and leave your keys at reception.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It depends - if we dont have the summer we're all expecting and we're still reliant on Carrick-Fletcher/Cleverley CM
Then I would take 2nd in a heartbeat

If we do have a fruitful summer, then 2nd would be acceptable, but i'd expect to get to minimum the semi's of the domestic cups as well, considering we're not in Europe next season
Or win the league, and have no cups as a minimum expectation

Jonno

As things stand, and especially if Evra goes, we're not better than Arsenal or Everton, and even with Spurs it's close. Try putting together composite teams and see how many United players are in them.

De Gea; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny/Jones, Gibbs; Arteta, Ramsey; AOC/Januzaj, Mata, Ozil; Rooney

De Gea; Coleman, Jagielka, Jones, Baines; McCarthy, Barkley; Mirallas, Mata, Januzaj; Rooney

It's hard fitting Barkley into a 4231 - and I'm not even going to attempt Spurs - never been able to figure out their formation.
Comparing individual players doesn't amount to 'Who's better'. If that was the case then City should have won the league for the last 4 consecutive seasons. With a better manager we play very well as a team, with 4 or 5 decent players and 5 or 6 world class players. It is a formula that has worked for the last 20 years.

You're also basing the comparison of players completely on form. 2 years ago we would have had Carrick or Cleverley ahead of Ramsey, who knows what next season will bring with a better manager?

NM

Of course! Getting back in the CL is the minimum requirement. The rest depends on additions to the squad. However, I'd snap your hand off for 2nd next season.

Ninja_Spade

So you'd be fine coming 2nd to City then?
Yes, because we can easily dismiss Man City as being a sugar daddy plaything and they bought the title. But Liverpool would be far worse than any other fanbase. Here's hoping Suarez leaves in the summer. I'd laugh my arse off.

Shark

@NotShark
Yes, because we can easily dismiss Man City as being a sugar daddy plaything and they bought the title. But Liverpool would be far worse than any other fanbase. Here's hoping Suarez leaves in the summer. I'd laugh my arse off.
Is that how you really felt when they pipped us to the title with the last kick of the ball two seasons ago? I literally felt sick after that. Admittedly, Liverpool would be worse, but finishing 2nd to City is still going to be horrible.

Ninja_Spade

Is that how you really felt when they pipped us to the title with the last kick of the ball two seasons ago? I literally felt sick after that. Admittedly, Liverpool would be worse, but finishing 2nd to City is still going to be horrible.
I was gutted, but I don't want to ever see Liverpool win the league. I'd rather it be Arsenal, but it's looking like they will struggle to finish in the top four next season. Obviously I want us to win it. But we have to be realistic we need a rebuilding time.

Drummer

I would accept 4th if the club was clearly on an upward trend and if LVG had been introducing new players throughout the season...

I think for long term gains there sometimes has to be short term pain. I'm not saying I want us to finish 4th, I am saying is that I want things done right and I want proper foundations built for longer term stability/success.

I will judge us next season based on identifiable progress, not a benchmark of winning trophies. In all fairness DM has done LVG a huge favour as expectations have seldom been this low. I just hope he uses it as an opportunity to make the changes that he feels will be more beneficial long term then the usual short term strategies that managers have to employ for instant results.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I felt sick but it's happened now, and it's pretty much guaranteed to keep happening due to their wealth. And because of that wealth it doesn't really affect me as much.

I've never and hope I will never see Liverpool win the title, if and when they finally do it'll be utterly unbearable. We know what their fans are like, we know how many scousers are in the media, etc. You can't just hide away from it sadly. Horrific thought.

ravelston

Comparing individual players doesn't amount to 'Who's better'. If that was the case then City should have won the league for the last 4 consecutive seasons. With a better manager we play very well as a team, with 4 or 5 decent players and 5 or 6 world class players. It is a formula that has worked for the last 20 years.

You're also basing the comparison of players completely on form. 2 years ago we would have had Carrick or Cleverley ahead of Ramsey, who knows what next season will bring with a better manager?
Player comparison doesn't suggest that City would have been champions for 4 seasons. 2012-13 for example we'd have had De Gea, Rafael, Vidic, Evra, Rooney and RvP in a composite team - that's 6 and, guess what, we won.

The problem is, we no longer have 5 or 6 world class players. Maybe 4 (De Gea, Mata, Rooney and RvP) but three of those are fighting over two positions.

I agree, I'm looking at the present. Of course Carrick was better than Ramsey two years ago - doesn't help us much now though, does it. The point is that, in our current state, we're not better than any of the top 5 teams. Hopefully a new manager and some world class players will change that - I'm optimistic.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

No. 2nd = 4th for me. I'd rather a shot at winning the league than a guaranteed 2-4th, if we assume they are equivalent, which again they are to me

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
This is a question to our fans and opposition.

City/ Chelsea - hell yes would be happy for us to take 2nd leaving 1st place free
Liverpool/ Arsenal/ Tottenham/ Everton - No chance, they would hope us to have another bad season and 2nd could take one of their top 4 places
I'm not giving you 2nd, I think you'll finish lower than that personally. :D

Seveneric

No matter what is spent during the summer, anyone who is expecting an immediate title win is thoroughly deluded and should check their heads. With a new manager, I think finishing top 3 while challenging is good enough for now.

birdy2121

Depends who was 1st!! Would personally accept 3rd as long as Liverpool don't win the title.