Would you take 5th (as a Utd supporter) if it meant Liverpool not winning the title?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There is likely a 1/millionth chance of our league position and Liverpool winning the league being tied up, so no need to speculate on outlandish things.
If by the time City come to Old Trafford, a win for them will put them above Liverpool, would you want them to win?

That’s a much smaller scale. Sacrificing one match here, and theoretically both teams could recover their objectives in later games, although of course there’s no guarantee.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I get that we all hate the dippers and all but this stuff is seriously Arsenal fans-esque. It's not even like the team who would beat them to the title is not a rival either. It's City for gods sake. I hate them almost as much as the red sh1te so this thread is pointless. I'd understand it somewhat more if it was Spurs looking likely to win it, not that I would agree with it. It's Utd first for me. We can't really control who wins the title can we? If they do it this year, they do it. It was going to happen at some point as they are still a big club who attract top players.

SirAF

Ageist
If by the time City come to Old Trafford, a win for them will put them above Liverpool, would you want them to win?

That’s a much smaller scale. Sacrificing one match here, and theoretically both teams could recover their objectives in later games, although of course there’s no guarantee.
Yes, of course.

Coxy

No. Do we want to be top tier again? Then we need to be playing in the Champions League.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
If Liverpool winning the league was the catalyst for a period of real rivalry between us and Utd I think it would be great. Its never happened for any sustained period of time (aside from a few league titles yo-yoing between Anfield and Old Trafford in the mid 60s). Generally when one has been in the ascendancy the other one has struggled. Its only the odd time that we've gone head to head for trophies. Imagine ten years of battling for the title every season and even a few meetings in latter stages of the CL. Not sure my heart could take it but it would be fecking great to see.

Fridge chutney

I wouldn't accept missing out on winning the Champions League. If Pool won the league, so be it.

If Pool wins the league, I will log off this website and all English press for a long time. The internet will become insufferable.

Fridge chutney

If Liverpool winning the league was the catalyst for a period of real rivalry between us and Utd I think it would be great.
This is true and a good point. England's two greatest clubs have never really been the greatest at the same time. It would be very interesting if that were to happen. I don't think it's that far off (except when you consider City with their ridiculous squad and vast resources).

Green_Red

Only if the lose it in a similarly hilarious way to the Stevie Me slip, including a whole heap of new "you see something new every time" gifs. The month that followed that has to go down as the greatest month in caf history. Some epic posts and banter.

the_irish123

What if they fail to fulfill the deal, we take 5th place and they still win it? That's typical of them.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Them collapsing and not winning it in this position (again!) would be absolutely hilarious and few years of banter worthy.

Damn right, I would take 5th. Small time? Not sure, but I would laugh big time in that case.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
All day long. However, I do feel it’s their time. Still unbelievable that they haven’t won the league for nearly 30 years. In the 80s I thought that theyde win it every year for decades to come.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I wouldn't take it if it was the other way round. Mostly because you have so many PL titles in the bag already. If it was a CL though, I probably would.

M Utd

No way for me.
As much as it will hurt if they win it the only way long term to be on top again is maintaining CL football.

marktan

Feck no. I could give less of a feck about Liverpool. Sort ourselves out first and foremost to win the damn league, and we start that by being in the CL for next season.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I wouldn't take it if it was the other way round. Mostly because you have so many PL titles in the bag already. If it was a CL though, I probably would.
Yeah there is still a nightmare scenario for us this season - finish second in the league and Utd win the CL. Instead of it being 19-5 it ends up 20-4. With Jose in charge that would have been highly unlikely but its totally different since Ole came in.

Fridge chutney

Yeah there is still a nightmare scenario for us this season - finish second in the league and Utd win the CL. Instead of it being 19-5 it ends up 20-4. With Jose in charge that would have been highly unlikely but its totally different since Ole came in.
I don't think you have much to worry about. We are not winning the Champions League this year, unless DDG, Pogba, Martial and Rashford simultaneously trigger god-mode. Even then... Phil Jones.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some of you lot sicken me. I swear I’m gonna go fecking medieval with the ban hammer if Liverpool win the league

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think you have much to worry about. We are not winning the Champions League this year, unless DDG, Pogba, Martial and Rashford simultaneously trigger god-mode. Even then... Phil Jones.
Yeah your defence might struggle but at least you have a good keeper. What I would have given for that last season in the CL :lol:

If you beat PSG and draw Roma/Porto you'll be in the semi-final and then anything can happen. If you follow Chelsea's similar experience in 2012 you're destined to meet Atletico in the final.

Ridwando

This scenario can only really happen if United were facing City on the last day of the league, with both the title and fourth place being up for grabs. Otherwise, I don't see how these are valid alternatives.

If such a scenario were to happen, though, I would rather we get fourth, since it would help us to keep De Gea and co., and possibly bring in good players we desperately need.

We will win the league next season anyway, and can restore the two-title gap over the dippers.

0le

Yeah your defence might struggle but at least you have a good keeper. What I would have given for that last season in the CL :lol:

If you beat PSG and draw Roma/Porto you'll be in the semi-final and then anything can happen. If you follow Chelsea's similar experience in 2012 you're destined to meet Athletico in the final.
I'd still rather win the domestic league than win in Europe though.

golden_blunder

Staff
I wouldn't accept missing out on winning the Champions League. If Pool won the league, so be it.

If Pool wins the league, I will log off this website and all English press for a long time. The internet will become insufferable.
Don’t worry I’ll be kicking you out if they do

The amount of people saying CL when in fact 8 games ago we’d be lucky to be playing EL never mind anything else..

We can afford to miss CL for one season. Players will still want to join our club

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe it’s because I’m not English, but I still can’t believe that so many of you would prefer yourselves to finish outside the CL spots over a rival winning the league. Those tuesday/wednesday nights are magical, imo, and if you want United to become great again, then surely qulification for the Champions League is a good way to start. I know I wouldn’t take fifth over Utd winning the league.

Fridge chutney

Don’t worry I’ll be kicking you out if they do

The amount of people saying CL when in fact 8 games ago we’d be lucky to be playing EL never mind anything else..

We can afford to miss CL for one season. Players will still want to join our club
You misunderstand. Would I miss out on a CL campaign to ensure Liverpool don't win the league? Of bloody course. I've been very vocal about my disdain for them winning the league. You won't have to kick me out because I'll log off this site and social media in general.

But if we win the CL this year then I don't give a feck what else happens. Even Liverpool winning the league won't spoil it.

golden_blunder

Staff
You misunderstand. Would I miss out on a CL campaign to ensure Liverpool don't win the league? Of bloody course. I've been very vocal about my disdain for them winning the league. You won't have to kick me out because I'll log off this site and social media in general.

But if we win the CL this year then I don't give a feck what else happens. Even Liverpool winning the league won't spoil it.
Oh right sorry I misunderstood. Heads getting wrecked with some of the posts in here

SirAF

Ageist
Maybe it’s because I’m not English, but I still can’t believe that so many of you would prefer yourselves to finish outside the CL spots over a rival winning the league. Those tuesday/wednesday nights are magical, imo, and if you want United to become great again, then surely qulification for the Champions League is a good way to start. I know I wouldn’t take fifth over Utd winning the league.
That's because you have already seen that so many times ;)

golden_blunder

Staff
Not as magical as watching scousers cry after slipping up again pal