Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's funny, I think I'm genuinely upset right now because I had this hope over this past week that we'd luck our way into appointing a top manager during the international break, and that we might just start acting like a big club again (by luck). Had pretty much settled into a "it doesn't matter that much" mentality of just enjoying the match day for what it was and not caring about any planning or competing for trophies at the club as it was pretty much hopeless. For a second I thought we'd get Conte and actually compete, and now that's gone... back to just enjoying the matches as they come and not getting worried about if we'll fight for any trophies I guess! Hope for a random smaller cup win.

Might not be the worst idea to fall into the Europa League again if we keep Ole, better chance at a trophy and better chance at qualifying for the CL next year.

siw2007

Can’t believe Conte is going to Spurs, can’t see him achieving much there tbh but it’s a big missed chance for United. It’s a poor impression on our board to have let him go there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
And then get Rodgers, serial bottler but hey, he's british and a "progressive" manager. Will be a yes man too, so ticks all the boxes. The perfect fit, lacks a bit of "United DNA" so we can have Giggs as the assistant coach.
this.

Giggsy, Carricky, Mckennicky, Fletchery, Cleggy......we're going to have such a top red side. It won't win anything but cups only boost ego

Highfather_24

So what happens if Spurs appoint Conte now, and we lose the next two games?(effectively crashing us out of CL and PL title race)

ArjenIsM3

Can’t believe Conte is going to Spurs, can’t see him achieving much there tbh but it’s a big missed chance for United. It’s a poor impression on our board to have let him go there.
Why's that? Conte's style doesn't really fit the club or our current squad. He's the biggest name available right now but not a great fit. You could say it would be better for the board to find a long term replacement.

Suv666

Sick of this fecking board. Who the feck are we going to appoint now? If we go for the serial bottler Rodgers because he's United material (code for British) just like our Captain Fantastic Maguire I'm going to have a meltdown.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

That's the Board's plan, no top class managers available, so Ole has to continue

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yes, but some managers carry less risk. The likes of Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, etc have very little chance to fail. They might, but it is not remotely the same as hiring a manager that has very little to his CV like Ten Hag does. He might turn into a flop like De Boer. We have to keep in mind that Ajax are a very well oiled machine in a league they vastly dwarf in terms of resources.
I think idea that any manager has "very little" chance of failing is extremely optimistic.

For one, even every great manager at some point is past their best and stops winning things. Decline and failure is inevitable for everyone, in a way success isn't. And when it comes, it always comes in the face of people saying "these proven managers carry so much less risk than [insert name of unproven managers who will win the major trophies over the coming years]".

And second, no manager can rise above all circumstances they find themselves in. Put Pep, Klopp, Conte or even SAF in the wrong club and wrong circumstances and they'll fail. There's much more nuanced judgement involved in making an appointment than just picking the person with the best CV.

All that aside though, my point wasn't really about Ten Hag. You could insert any manager you/I rate into the sentence instead for all I care. My point was that unless we ultimately end up with a manager I really rate, this entire season (including the decision not to replace Ole with Conte now) will be extremely vexing.

Infra-red

Manchester City - Pep
Liverpool - Klopp
Chelsea - Tuchel
Tottenham - Conte

We have Ole

You can't make this up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arsenal will probably hire Ten Hag once they're done with Arteta.
Really is quite staggering that probably the 4 best managers in world football are all in the Premier League and not one of them is at Man United.
It is depressing, but not especially surprising when you see the appalling track record of the clowns that run United.

This is a big coup for Spurs and I'd be surprised if they didn't, at the very least, become a top 4 staple for the next 2-3 seasons.

Highfather_24

Why's that? Conte's style doesn't really fit the club or our current squad.
We just played a watered down version of Conte's setup this weekend to win. Conte's football is far better than Ole's and he's actually a winner, and a great coach. Saying he is not "long term" is moot, considering we have a squad to win things now, and no "long term" managers worth getting are available. Its now between Ole and Conte, and I'd take Conte and its not even close. The united way is about winning, not about "long term" or tiki taka football.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In advanced talks already? I’m surprised Conte is interested. Better jobs will come up so he must have been promised funds from somewhere. Thats a great move for Spurs as he‘ll get more out of Dombele, Kane, Son, Hojberg. Still think there’s too low a ceiling there for him though. When you have done what he did at Chelsea what is at Spurs for him?

yipthatman

Nope. I think we should move on from Ole, but don't see Conte as the ideal replacement.

Although for the rest of this season it will not make a huge difference as we are already out of contention for the league. That's why I think we can afford to wait until the end of the season if it means getting our preferred manager.
This sounds a little bit defeatist to me mate. We are only 8 points off top with 28 games (possible 84 points) still to go. A long way to go still. Conte would have been ideal to take over and finish this season. Then maybe get someone else in summer.

siw2007

Why's that? Conte's style doesn't really fit the club or our current squad. He's the biggest name available right now but not a great fit. You could say it would be better for the board to find a long term replacement.
I think the club needs a strong personality at the helm to manage the players and draw the best out of the team, in that sense he is a good fit. I thought his Chelsea team played good football overall and certainly better football than now.

AndySmith1990

No worries. It always takes falling out of the top 4 for our board to act. Spurs hiring a good manager, and longer term Newcastle winning the lottery, will force our boards hand more often as we won't simply get top 4 by giving a shit manager a group of good players to drag him through.

JustAGuest

I bet the owners love fans who just want to be in top 4 while Klopp and Pep are at the helm. Absolutely amazed to hear this from fans of a club who had Fergie in their lifetime and who went head to head with an open cheque book backed prime Jose and came out on top. I am lost for words. Tuchel has come in and Chelsea look like real favorites but hey let's wait till all top managers leave the PL so that some nobody can win us the league.

I assume you are also fine when the Board takes out dividends and pay loans which they put on us instead of buying top players because you aren't anyway expecting us to win anything currently, right?
Of course I want more than top 4, but you have to be realistic. If I think a long term appointment would make us more likely to win over time, then how is it unambitious to not hope for a worse short term solution?

Will Singh

We apparently went after Poch before and it didn’t happen and now we might lose Conte. I thought Moyes was the dithering one but now thinking about it it’s the club. So we got Fellaini instead of Kroos and poor Moyes got blamed and probably was him but maybe the club is as much to blame!

siw2007

That's the Board's plan, no top class managers available, so Ole has to continue
I think it’s down to a lack of strong decision makers at the top of the club. They were utter shell shocked at the state we were in last week so froze.

lsd

The Oracle

Literally had our best performance in ages this week playing his style

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We apparently went after Poch before and it didn’t happen and now we might lose Conte. I thought Moyes was the dithering one but now thinking about it it’s the club. So we got Fellaini instead of Kroos and poor Moyes got blamed and probably was him but maybe the club is as much to blame!
No, Moyes got that nickname at Everton and Fellaini was always a target alongside others, it just wasn't supposed to be the first player to sign. Also it was Thiago and Strootman in 2013 and Kroos in 2014.

NK86

Of course I want more than top 4, but you have to be realistic. If I think a long term appointment would make us more likely to win over time, then how is it unambitious to not hope for a worse short term solution?
What's a long term appointment anyway? How do you know that Ten Hag is the right man when he has never been outside the Eridivise. JPRouve explained how his team has almost twice the budget of the next wealthiest team in the league and he's a head coach. He has never managed such big egos. It's a much, much bigger risk than Conte who has the pedigree to back himself up.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
”The united way is about winning“
Exactoy. United had plenty of great sides under Fergie, obviously, but always thought the feature they had was that they were hard. 1993-1994 team was class but really hard and after 1999 there were plenty of seasons where the football was less attractive. 2007-2008 was great to watch but in Ferguson’s last couple of years the team was winning without much of a midfield. Anyway, if your winning leagues it’s inevitable that a good percentage of games will still be good to watch. Conte’s Chelsea would tear teams apart in 2016-2017. You should have gone for him last week IMO.

JPRouve

Scout
What's a long term appointment anyway? How do you know that Ten Hag is the right man when he has never been outside the Eridivise. JPRouve explained how his team has almost twice the budget of the next wealthiest team in the league and he's a head coach. He has never managed such big egos. It's a much, much bigger risk than Conte who has the pedigree to back himself up.
Ajax are around 160m while PSG are around 85m, if I'm not mistaken. Ajax have a normal budget for a decent CL team, they are not supposed trampled by other clubs unlike what the caf seems to think, a bit like Lyon in the 2000s.

PeteManic

Glad Conte is going to Spurs. Shows that Ole is going to be there for a while yet. As he should be.

Mainoldo

If we are bing realistic unless Conte is an actual target for the club there is no point sacking Ole and the fans will most likely have to waith until 23-24 for a good manager to be available. Hopefully Guardiola extends and City aren't a competition for managers.
Not good enough mate. We have to come out of this mindset. There are a number of managers better than what we have. We can maintain stability and still grow getting 2 managers in 3 years.

Ole should of been sacked and should still get sacked at the end of this week. Regardless if Conte is available or not. Makes no difference, except with Conte we could of won a major trophy this year.

What you just said is how the club want you to think. Don’t think the same as them incompetent a-holes.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Please explain the statement rather than posting some baseless assumptions. How exactly is his style an unfit?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Conte fits our current squad than pretty much any manager out there. He'd fit it better than Pep, as we don't have a squad that is great at keeping possession and playing tight quick football. He'd fit it better than Klopp as we don't have a squad fit for high pressing, constant energy football. Conte, and managers like Conte, is what our squad is built for right now. World class personnel in defence and attack. Some average midfielders. Quality and depth in attack but players who do pretty much feck all in defensively. So what do you need with that? A 3-4-3 type of system where the manager can coach them as a unit and have the individual talent overcome the opposition.

People have this dream of getting the next Pep or Klopp when the structure just isn't there to support that behind them, and it won't be for the near future. Conte was a perfect situation for us that was almost handed to us on a silver platter, and we've managed to feck that up too. Incredible.

Real Name

I'd take Conte, he's world class. Although maybe the board didn't fancy him for whatever reason and that's why we didn't sack Ole and go for him. Last 2 times we went for whoever was free didn't work out so I'd rather they think through who to appoint next.
Problem is what happens if we lose next 2 games. Maybe someone for an interim manager and then go in the summer for Ten Haag or Poch if he'll be out of job.
Of course who knows if we'd even go for Ten Haag. Poch probably but I'm not convinced by him. Don't know.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
this.

Giggsy, Carricky, Mckennicky, Fletchery, Cleggy......we're going to have such a top red side. It won't win anything but cups only boost ego
Yeah who needs entitled plastic fans anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
Not good enough mate. We have to come out of this mindset. There are a number of managers better than what we have. We can maintain stability and still grow getting 2 managers in 3 years.

Ole should of been sacked and should still get sacked at the end of this week. Regardless if Conte is available or not. Makes no difference, except with Conte we could of won a major trophy this year.

What you just said is how the club want you to think. Don’t think the same as them incompetent a-holes.
You think that the club wants me to think that they are feckless and that I don't really have any hope for them or the club in the near future? I would be very surprised by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.