Would you take Mbappe if given the chance?

Rojofiam

You can definitely make a case for not wanting him, I don't know why most of you think it's a stupid question.

zaafi

Why exactly are some posters acting as if this is a stupid question when it's a legitimate one?

Of course we would want him for his abilities, but the question is whether our team as a whole would be better off with him in the squad. His attitude is garbage and our players would not be too happy with him earning that much more than them. One thing is playing a few matches with your countrymen during a tournament as the star of France, but it's another thing playing a whole season for United as a team where everyone is required to pull their weight defensively as well. I can't imagine Mbappé and Ten Hag being a good match.

MegadrivePerson

No.

He'd cost a fortune in wages which would completely destroy the wage structure at the club.

If Mbappe joins on 1 million a week, we then end up paying Rashford 900k a week, and so on.

Also he wants to play in the same position as Rashford, so it wouldn't work long term.

It's better to find the next Mbappe, or a striker to play alongside Rashford.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Why exactly are some posters acting as if this is a stupid question when it's a legitimate one?

Of course we would want him for his abilities, but the question is whether our team as a whole would be better off with him in the squad. His attitude is garbage and our players would not be too happy with him earning that much more than them. One thing is playing a few matches with your countrymen during a tournament as the star of France, but it's another thing playing a whole season for United as a team where everyone is required to pull their weight defensively as well. I can't imagine Mbappé and Ten Hag being a good match.
Yes.

A professional football player making millions is a bit of an arrogant c*nt. Water is wet.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I think the one issue is that he'd probably want to play as a 10 and have us move Bruno out, if he deigned to come to us. I think he fancies himself there, not up top (where he'd be ideal for us in this system) or on the left with Rashford up top.
I don't think he wants to play as a 10, he prefers playing in a fluid front 3 and having the ability to drop deep when he wants, exactly what Ten Haag asks from his 9.
The issue he has with Galtier is that he has to play as a traditional pivot 9, leaving playmaking to Messi and Neymar.

el3mel

No, I won't take one of the best players in the world and a generational talent whom with more development can become one of the best strikers in history. Why would I ?

zaafi

Yes.

A professional football player making millions is a bit of an arrogant c*nt. Water is wet.
How you're incapable of grasping the point of my post, and others' concern is actually astonishing.

Look at Ronaldo and his behavior when he signed for us. Our players moved away from their natural game to "please" him and worried too much about making mistakes that Ronaldo wouldn't be happy with and overall the dynamic of the team was pretty bad, as well as the whole spirit of the team. You could tell it was a mutual feeling of relief when we let him go. I can imagine the same being the case for Mbappé, even though the thought of him in our team is mouthwatering.

AaronRedDevil

Mabppe on the right and Rashford on the left. Christ I'd feel sorry for the defenders against them:drool:

Gordon S

Martial swap.
Mbappe. Rashford. Sancho. Antony. Garnacho as options for attack would be sexy.

MoskvaRed

He’s probably the best player in the world but, just when the United dressing room is under control again, I’d be wary of bringing in someone with such a large ego (if reports are true). As they say, there’s no “I’ in “équipe”.

Cuckboy69

Obviously he is more than good enough.. The wages it would take to make him come to us would be comical though, so nah, not worth it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He’s probably the best player in the world but, just when the United dressing room is under control again, I’d be wary of bringing in someone with such a large ego (if reports are true). As they say, there’s no “I’ in “équipe”.
There's no "je" in "équipe". Do French people say that? @Rooney in Paris

Cloud7

How you're incapable of grasping the point of my post, and others' concern is actually astonishing.

Look at Ronaldo and his behavior when he signed for us. Our players moved away from their natural game to "please" him and worried too much about making mistakes that Ronaldo wouldn't be happy with and overall the dynamic of the team was pretty bad, as well as the whole spirit of the team. You could tell it was a mutual feeling of relief when we let him go. I can imagine the same being the case for Mbappé, even though the thought of him in our team is mouthwatering.
The issue with Ronaldo is that he was like that while being crap. Ronaldo has always been the same personality throughout his career. If he acted the way he did, but he was putting up the numbers and performances peak Ronaldo did, then the club and manager would have found a way to make it work.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
This has to be one of the most daft threads I have ever seen. Would you take probably the best player in the world right now? I think that's a solid yes for any team.
There are a few past few days actually, but this one takes the cake.

croadyman

The issue with Ronaldo is that he was like that while being crap. Ronaldo has always been the same personality throughout his career. If he acted the way he did, but he was putting up the numbers and performances peak Ronaldo did, then the club and manager would have found a way to make it work.
Yeah you do make a good point because compared to the likes of Ronaldo/Aubameyang who are known divas he does have age on his side

evil_geko

Not sure about his ego, he can be most talented in the world, but I am tired of huge egos. So mostly no for now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd take him if he somehow, miraculously came kinda cheap.

If the question is: "would you break the bank for him, feck all possible doubts?" the answer is: NO.

Red4Life_#7

He is the best player in the world with most of his career ahead of him. Without a doubt!!

There are ways around his huge wages, especially with our wage structure. Give him a huge signing on fee and put him on approx £350k a week with bonuses too.

Play him through the middle, with him and Rashford swapping at will. So much pace, the defenders will scared to death.

FriedClams

Our manager has shown he has extremely high expectations in terms of professionalism. You could argue that ETH would actually make Mbappe better, by helping him have a better attitude. This is such an easy yes.

Canuckred64

I think a better question is; will United under new ownership have a shot at getting Mbappe?

Red_Heisenberg

Jury is out on him until he proves himself and manages 4 goals in a world Cup final..

honirelandboy

Not even on the same level as Wout who is clearly better, If we were signing a player for 300 million and 1 million salary a week I'd be going for Darwin Nunez.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Of course I would, he’s an absolute superstar. Everyone talking about squad harmony etc but managing huge egos is part of being a top manager, as long as they’re delivering the goods. Our successful teams under Sir Alex weren’t full of timid little angels.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You're giving a terrible comparison which is why people think the opinion is idiotic. You're comparing a past it 37 year old Ronaldo to a 23 year old that's the best in the world currently, with Ronaldo also being possibly the most famous player of all time and idolized by countless young players coming up. And all of that in a team that lacked any sort of structure and stability.

Completely different scenarios besides "oh wow big name don't want his ego"

Valencia Shin Crosses

You simply can't come up with an argument that doesn't sound nonsensical to turn away Mbappe in the scenario the OP provided. If it was just a simple transfer, of course you take the best player in the world regardless of what position he plays. You figure out that part afterwards. He'd score Haaland levels of goals with better creativity

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
No. He’s obviously class but I don’t want any more superstars. Fine if we buy a young player and mould him in the clubs traditions over a few seasons and they explode but not someone coming in on a million a week pulling a Ronaldo. The only way that actually somehow works if if you’re winning everything and I don’t think you can without a brilliant all round balanced team and team spirit. Players like that are too big to do a job. I wouldn’t have liked Neymar either for the same reason.

zaafi

You're giving a terrible comparison which is why people think the opinion is idiotic. You're comparing a past it 37 year old Ronaldo to a 23 year old that's the best in the world currently, with Ronaldo also being possibly the most famous player of all time and idolized by countless young players coming up. And all of that in a team that lacked any sort of structure and stability.

Completely different scenarios besides "oh wow big name don't want his ego"
Mbappé, while ridiculously good, has been known to consistently fall out with team mates and annoy them. You really want a player like that in the team?

tomaldinho1

Could probably play Ole ball with him and Rashford on either wing and win the league.

Redfrog

No, Wout is better, he is not disrupting anyone, not even opponent’s defense . :houllier:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mbappé, while ridiculously good, has been known to consistently fall out with team mates and annoy them. You really want a player like that in the team?
YES! You know who else annoys teammates? Every other BITW candidate at one point or another. There's a certain level a footballer gets to where if it makes sense in a sporting sense, you deal with the personality drawbacks if there are any. Mbappe makes any team he's on an instant contender in the league and in Europe, including us.

Redfrog

Why that ? The guy came back from World Cup just 2 days after the final. He is very professional and driven.
PSG is a drama club and always have been, even without their new status.
If some players were upset to be playing with one of the best in the world because he makes more money then they are not fit to play here. If they want more money they should earn it on the pitch.

Ronaldo’s attitude was a problem only because he was finished and making tantrums because not being first name in the team sheet. If he was any good there would have been no problems. He was always like that but that wasn’t a problem because he was one of the best. It only caused problems when he was being deluded about his performances.

Do you really think this guy could not play for United ? You should need a reality check about our situation. Ten Hag would never say no to Mbappé, he will be our best player immediately. We are not Burnley needing a defensive winger ffs. We are United, and are always looking for the best attacking talents.