Would you take Mbappe if given the chance?

Wing Attack Plan R

I much prefer what ETH is doing with providing good players a chance to become great players (and give great players a new opportunity with us) like Martinez, Casemiro, Varane. We’ve still earned our success and when we win, we win fair and square. If Qatar money comes flooding in, and we buy players like Mbappe, we will no longer attempt to develop players and build a team; we will be buying the latest shiny toy and playing FM in real life.

Mbappe is one of the best players in the world, but I don’t want our club assembling galacticos with unlimited funds. I also don’t know if he’s got the right mentality for this club, he doesn’t seem like a player who can submerge his ego for the good of the team. I want to love our team and not have us turn into an abomination like City. If he wanted to come here and accept a wage within normal bounds, and play for the shirt and not the paycheck, great, but he doesn’t seem like that’s his style.

Peelhead

Different times mate, wages were not as astronomical as it is today. I don't want to see someone with 1.3 mil salary per week in my club.

As much as I believe "GOAT" level players deserve that much, I don't think we need Mbappe to win the title. What we need is a good functioning team.

EDIT:
Even more baffling when you realise PSG haven't won a single CL since they signed Neymar and Mbappe. Why would you want someone to ruin our club like that? Player power in Manchester United? No way.
As much as he would seem an unbelievable signing, I can't help but feel we're just turning a corner away from all that type of pandering to galacticos.

Don't get me wrong, I know we've always been strong in the transfer market and could pay top notch salaries but when we're looking at in excess of £1mm a week, it just sounds like trouble.

I'd only be happy with it if:
- EtH wanted it most of all in his vision
- Mbappe also wanted it 100%
- Funding it wouldn't create FFP issues
- It wouldn't create huge disharmony amongst the team
- It wouldn't prevent investment in other areas of the team
- He was here to play not co-manage(!)

I can't see it happening personally but then again, given Qatar, seeing how Fred communicated with Case, maybe he's got a feel that we're sleeping giants and about to reassert our authority and wants to be a part of it for sporting reasons as much as anything?

I can't deny he would be electrifying to see however I think it's going to be difficult to accommodate him.

Erik the Red

What I am more curious is how we should set up our team to bring out the best in the two best players, Mbappe (assuming he is signed) and Rashford, given both of them normally like cutting in from the left? Who else would feature, and what style of play would work? Who else would we need to bring in to make it work?

Appletonred

Mbappe and Rashford interchanging would be sensational, no doubt about it, but it just does not happen IF the Glazers remain.

TsuWave

Would be lunacy not to.

Some United fans can be weirdos. They think buying good players and developing others are mutually exclusive things.

TsuWave

If he wanted to come here and accept a wage within normal bounds, and play for the shirt and not the paycheck, great, but he doesn’t seem like that’s his style.
What does this even mean? He gets paid what he’s worth/what the club deems his contributions worth and affordable.

Every player plays for a pay check - it’s their profession.

Imagine becoming elite in your field and hearing “accept a wage within normal bounds and do it for the love”. “That doesn’t seem like his style”. Football fans are insane.

Last edited:

Lam

Yes, I’ll sign him if available. But if I’m incharge, then we will be 20th and I’ll get sacked with a good payout. Works out well I guess.

Cloud7

I much prefer what ETH is doing with providing good players a chance to become great players (and give great players a new opportunity with us) like Martinez, Casemiro, Varane. We’ve still earned our success and when we win, we win fair and square. If Qatar money comes flooding in, and we buy players like Mbappe, we will no longer attempt to develop players and build a team; we will be buying the latest shiny toy and playing FM in real life.

Mbappe is one of the best players in the world, but I don’t want our club assembling galacticos with unlimited funds. I also don’t know if he’s got the right mentality for this club, he doesn’t seem like a player who can submerge his ego for the good of the team. I want to love our team and not have us turn into an abomination like City. If he wanted to come here and accept a wage within normal bounds, and play for the shirt and not the paycheck, great, but he doesn’t seem like that’s his style.
Yeah man I much rather the first few years of Ronaldo that we had rather than the years that followed of peak performances Real had

gottho

Please no, we need fighters and not another superstar with baggage. I would use the money on harry Kane, de jong and the Korean defender in napoli

Red Star One

Would be lunacy not to.

Some United fans can be weirdos. They think buying good players and developing others are mutually exclusive things.
Yes for me it's quite insane to see people thinking it would be better not to sign one of the best players of the last decade. Then again, we have such a diverse fanbase with so many different opinions on how the United should be managed, it's completely normal - there were big splits on Ole's ability, Jones conundrum, ownership by Qatar etc. No doubt in my mind that if there's any chance we could poach Mbappe from PSG - and that he wouldn't demand twice the salary we pay our best paid player - we should be on it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Different times mate, wages were not as astronomical as it is today. I don't want to see someone with 1.3 mil salary per week in my club.

As much as I believe "GOAT" level players deserve that much, I don't think we need Mbappe to win the title. What we need is a good functioning team.

EDIT:
Even more baffling when you realise PSG haven't won a single CL since they signed Neymar and Mbappe. Why would you want someone to ruin our club like that? Player power in Manchester United? No way.
I don't think we "need" Mbappe to win the title either. Just like the past title winning teams didn't "need" Messi. But if you think SAF would have said no *if given the chance*, you're fecking insane. Which is the entire premise of the thread. If PSG offered him to us in the summer, he was willing to come, and we could afford it, we'd be idiots to say no as well. How would he ruin our club? By being rich? Did Ronaldo ruin Real Madrid when they signed him from us?

PSG haven't won a CL because it's a difficult competition to win (Pep hasn't won one since Barca and he's arguably had some of the best teams in it since then). They also have traditionally had less than stellar midfields when compared to the other top sides. It didn't have anything to do with signing Neymar and Mbappe.

Born2Lose

No way, there's a reason PSG are so much less than the sum of their parts.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Are you okay with Rashford starting up top and Garnacho being on the wing currently? Because if so you'd just be swapping Garnacho in that XI with Mbappe. And I assume they'd dovetail off of each other.
Perhaps but I do get the impression that Mbappe is much more inclined to operate centrally recently so I'm not convinced it would be an optimal solution.

Still if either if he was available and erik thought he could utilize them both who am I to say otherwise, he's an insane talent and it goes without saying.

cpresc

Please no, we need fighters and not another superstar with baggage. I would use the money on harry Kane, de jong and the Korean defender in napoli
Because Harry Kane and De Jong are fighters.. ok

Threesus

Of course. He is the best player in the world. Imagine him, Kane and Antony.

devil99

I am fine as long as ETH gets paid more than him.

Also I would take Mbappe + Kane combination over Rashford just from sporting perspective

Wing Attack Plan R

What does this even mean? He gets paid what he’s worth/what the club deems his contributions worth and affordable.

Every player plays for a pay check - it’s their profession.

Imagine becoming elite in your field and hearing “accept a wage within normal bounds and do it for the love”. “That doesn’t seem like his style”. Football fans are insane.
We are trying to implement a wage structure that is about half of what DeGea is on. I don’t think Mbappe would accept those terms. It’s not that hard to understand.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yeah man I much rather the first few years of Ronaldo that we had rather than the years that followed of peak performances Real had
Interesting take. The main difference is that Mbappe isn’t a brand new talent being discovered and made ready for the big stage. Mbappe would be a lot more like the Ronaldo 2.0 version than the hungry kid, an ego that suffocates every other player.

TsuWave

We are trying to implement a wage structure that is about half of what DeGea is on. I don’t think Mbappe would accept those terms. It’s not that hard to understand.
My brother in Christ...De Gea is reportedly on £375K per week. Half of that would be around £188K per week, for argumentation sake, let's say £200K. Do you really think United will be able to compete at the highest level with a £200K hard salary cap?

I'm yet to see a reputable source pick up that "United is trying to implement a new wage structure" story, by the way. It doesn't even make sense seeing as new arrivals such as Casemiro are reportedly on more than that. Rashford won't be renewing no damn contract on £200K per week. That's stuff straight out of Narnia. Come on man

Not to mention, that if we did end up going for Mbappe - then we clearly wouldn't be "trying to implement a wage structure that is about half of what DeGea is on". So yes, it's pretty hard to understand what any of this - "if he wanted to come here and accept a wage within normal bounds, and play for the shirt and not the paycheck" even means.

Wing Attack Plan R

My brother in Christ...De Gea is reportedly on £375K per week. Half of that would be around £188K per week, for argumentation sake, let's say £200K. Do you really think United will be able to compete at the highest level with a £200K hard salary cap?

I'm yet to see a reputable source pick up that "United is trying to implement a new wage structure" story, by the way. It doesn't even make sense seeing as new arrivals such as Casemiro are reportedly on more than that. Rashford won't be renewing no damn contract on £200K per week. That's stuff straight out of Narnia. Come on man

Not to mention, that if we did end up going for Mbappe - then we clearly wouldn't be "trying to implement a wage structure that is about half of what DeGea is on". So yes, it's pretty hard to understand what any of this - "if he wanted to come here and accept a wage within normal bounds, and play for the shirt and not the paycheck" even means.
You have an odd way of communicating your views.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

The bloke is a mercenary. He'd be announced holding his #7 shirt smiling and the next day talking about his dream move to Madrid.

That and the crazy wages.

No thanks.

Cloud7

Interesting take. The main difference is that Mbappe isn’t a brand new talent being discovered and made ready for the big stage. Mbappe would be a lot more like the Ronaldo 2.0 version than the hungry kid, an ego that suffocates every other player.
And I said this in one of the Ronaldo threads. If he was still performing like the best player in the world, his ego would have been tolerated. Every manager in the world would have found a way to make it work. It’s the same with Mbappe. No manager in world football would turn him down.

Eddy_JukeZ

People here would turn down the best player in the world.

He would absolutely destroy the Premier League. Him and Rashford would put fear into every single back 4 in the league.

Memento28

He is the best attacker in the world right now, I would take him as long as he doesn't let his ego take over and do something to make Ten Hag's job more difficult, if Ten Hag wants him he might talk to him first and if he thinks he won't be a team player he might not prefer him. Ten Hag can take a player 1 level below Mbappe and make him play like a world-class player.

meamth

As much as he would seem an unbelievable signing, I can't help but feel we're just turning a corner away from all that type of pandering to galacticos.

Don't get me wrong, I know we've always been strong in the transfer market and could pay top notch salaries but when we're looking at in excess of £1mm a week, it just sounds like trouble.

I'd only be happy with it if:
- EtH wanted it most of all in his vision
- Mbappe also wanted it 100%
- Funding it wouldn't create FFP issues
- It wouldn't create huge disharmony amongst the team
- It wouldn't prevent investment in other areas of the team
- He was here to play not co-manage(!)

I can't see it happening personally but then again, given Qatar, seeing how Fred communicated with Case, maybe he's got a feel that we're sleeping giants and about to reassert our authority and wants to be a part of it for sporting reasons as much as anything?

I can't deny he would be electrifying to see however I think it's going to be difficult to accommodate him.

No way someone who tasted 1.3 million salary per week will take normal player's salary back.

Even Real Madrid refused to match Messi's salary and let Ronaldo go.

You see where Barcelona is now, full of debt and in the verge financial breakdown.

Edit:
We should be fighting against PSG, not getting along with them destroying football price market. Let them be the fools and keep paying that amount of stupid money.

GMoore23

Not interested in this guy.

You don't need egomaniac superstars to be the best team on the planet. PSG is evidence of this.

All we need is a top striker and creative mid of ten Hag's choosing and we'll be formidable next season.
We don't need players on a million a week upsetting the status quo again.

Putting all banter aside

Quite surprised with the 'Mbappe superstar' posts. Actually in France, he doesn't have that image at all. He's doing tons of charity work for kids in the Banlieues of Paris, where he grew up and is quite down to earth in interviews. Also, his decision to stay in Paris, the city he grew up in, is now turned into something negative 'he runs the club'/'he should be out of that farmer league', whereas I think there is some beauty in staying in your home country/city for some years while any other club wants to sign him. Yes, he has an astronimical salary, but who hasn't in this crazy football world if you can produce those stats?

Let's be honest, a 24-year old who is already all-time topscorer of PSG, WC2022 topscorer would be a great addition to any team in the world.

scottser

mbappe is the epitome of everything that is wrong in football. it's not his fault, but the circus around him is sickening. i'd hate it if he was one of ours.

Revan

Assumptionman
Of course I would. Rashford can play as 9, with Mbappe in Rashford's position, with them deciding to interchange the position. With their speed, every team would need to play a very low-block defense, which would allow us to dominate the ball.

Furthermore, Rashford is so good at running behind the defense, and Mbappe will get doubled, giving more space to Rashy. Sure, both have similar strengths and weaknesses, but I could see it becoming the most feared attack in the world.

PigeonEscobar

Its not as straight forward as it sounds, isn’t it.

- Would he want to join a bigger club and compete in the strongest league in the world, whilst becoming the main man away from Messi and Neymar? Probably.

- Would that kind of transfer break our entire wage structure? Yes.

- Is he in the right age, a match winner and the best attacker in world football? Absolutely.

- Does Man United have good record with flashy world record “Galactico” type of signings? Absolutely not, its a dreadful record.

- Could Mbappe cut it on a rainy Saturday early kickoff at Eland Road against shithouse Luke Ayling? Maybe.

- Could Mbappe and Rashford excel together? Maybe, although both are better coming from the left.

- Where does that leave Garnacho and his development?

In conclusion, I don’t think its even a realistic signing unless the sheikhs buy the club.
He probably wins us the league if he joined now, to be honest, but in the long term I’m not entirely sure it will work and his effect on the natural development of the team.

I personally think we need to find the next Mbappe.

ETH knows best, and I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited: