Would you take Ralf Rangnick as manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBest

Whilst he might be a tactical genius this has never resulted in any sort of success whilst he has been a manager.

his highest win percentage is 58% with Red Bull Leipzig and the rest seems very meh, i am not sure i understand the clamor for him.

The thing with this thread and all the others regarding a new manager is a lack of objectivity in a lot of cases its anyone but Ole, thats not to say i am Ole in i am Ole out but out with a plan not just hire anyone who is not Ole.
He was a big reason RB are on the map of football. Saying that i dont feel comfortable with him being permanent, I'd be relaxed if he did a interim role until next summer, move to DOF but we must secure someone by the end of this year to join.

croadyman

He was a big reason RB are on the map of football. Saying that i dont feel comfortable with him being permanent, I'd be relaxed if he did a interim role until next summer, move to DOF but we must secure someone by the end of this year to join.
Yeah I would only want him on an interim basis

MrSingh2002

This is the thinking/mindset we are severely lacking under Ole.
I'm sold on him. That's what Fergie had. Every player knew exactly what was expected of them. Get him in til the end of the season. Longer if he does well.

Highfather_24

Apparently SAF is an admirer of his coaching.

I think I've zeroed in on Rangnick as United's best option for now. Bring him in as manager till the end of the season, then move him into DOF and ask him to find a manager. He will probably target someone like Ten Hag or Rose, and we will have a nice structure in place. He will completely overhaul our club for the better top to bottom, and make it modern.

We need someone like Rangnick to be our DOF. In the meantime, he will coach this team well, we will learn to play like a team, press high and play attacking football. We can still have a decent season.

croadyman

I think I've zeroed in on Rangnick as United's best option for now. Bring him in as manager till the end of the season, then move him into DOF and ask him to find a manager. He will probably target someone like Ten Hag or Rose, and we will have a nice structure in place. He will completely overhaul our club for the better top to bottom, and make it modern.

We need someone like Rangnick to be our DOF. In the meantime, he will coach this team well, we will learn to play like a team, press high and play attacking football. We can still have a decent season.
How I wish this could become a reality

Strats

He'd be absolutely perfect. The clip above highlighted what he is about.

However, have absolutely no faith in the club making the right decision in hiring him.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not sure if this is available outside of Germany, but there's a series with him on DAZN 'decoding' PSG, their structure, strategy and tactics.

SirAF

Ageist

This is the solution, alas, I can't see it happening.

NoLogo

He'd be absolutely perfect. The clip above highlighted what he is about.

However, have absolutely no faith in the club making the right decision in hiring him.
Unfortunately I haven't either. If they had a plan they would have given him the job of our director of football when he left the RB empire.

Now a solution would be to bring him in as an interims coach and make him our director of sports at the end of the season and give him full controls with all matters that are related to the sports development of our club from building new training grounds to hire the next manager. I'm pretty sure he would completely transform us and make us a top club again within the next 5 years.

The problem is that it would probably cost too many people at the club their jobs who now hold positions of power, and they are the ones I can see fighting a reformer like him tooth and nails.

Godfather

Yes to all of that. Mates FC doesn't do that though

croadyman

Unfortunately I haven't either. If they had a plan they would have given him the job of our director of football when he left the RB empire.

Now a solution would be to bring him in as an interims coach and make him our director of sports at the end of the season and give him full controls with all matters that are related to the sports development of our club from building new training grounds to hire the next manager. I'm pretty sure he would completely transform us and make us a top club again within the next 5 years.

The problem is that it would probably cost too many people at the club their jobs who now hold positions of power, and they are the ones I can see fighting a reformer like him tooth and nails.
Yeah this is exactly what I fear as well

talking robot

Would love this to happen and him move to DOF as some have suggested after an interim post this year. If we're talking about dream scenarios, I'd have Van der Sar in as CEO in the summer, Rangnick as DOF, and Ten Hag as manager at the end of the season (with Woody's replacement Arnold as commercial director). Never gonna happen though as that would involve way more competence than mates FC can handle.

croadyman

Would love this to happen and him move to DOF as some have suggested after an interim post this year. If we're talking about dream scenarios, I'd have Van der Sar in as CEO in the summer, Rangnick as DOF, and Ten Hag as manager at the end of the season (with Woody's replacement Arnold as commercial director). Never gonna happen though as that would involve way more competence than mates FC can handle.
Would be absolutely on cloud 9 with just the last two of them, hell just the middle one would be enough because the guy knows the european market inside out and might know about someone who is a perfect fit for this club

talking robot

Would be absolutely on cloud 9 with just the last two of them, hell just the middle one would be enough because the guy knows the european market inside out and might know about someone who is a perfect fit for this club
This would imply that we are actually run like a proper football club again...sadly not gonna happen. Ragnick as interim and then real power as DOF would be a bit amazing though, I agree (with the other names just being icing on the cake).

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Really interesting speaker. No idea if he’d be a success at United as a manager or DOF, but we’re in desperate need of this kind of clear-sighted, holistic thinking at the club:

DarkDog

Would you take this, would you take that, what kind of threads are this. Monkey in London Zoo could lead this team better than that guy who is sleeping in the managers seat right now

L1nk

Not a yes man, so not a chance, Glazers are disgusting and I hate them

Utd7

This sounds logical and arguably enticing. However you’re not accounting for Ragnick not having the ‘Man Utd DNA.’ :rolleyes:
Unfortunately I think it’s more likely the board hires a safer interim in the mold of Laurent Blanc. Rather than a bold move for Ragnick. But that’s exactly the problem with our leadership structure. They seldom go the creative route.

Chairman Steve

I‘ve been an advocate of bringing Rangnick into the club for a while. I think this time last year I was for bringing him in as a DOF and having Nagelsmann as the head coach, and that being our answer to Begiristain/Guardiola and Edwards/Klopp.

But since Nagelsmann is busy with other things, we can still get Rangnick in.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't understand why so many of you think it is a good idea?

First of all, Rangnick would, barring a major and fundamental upheaval in the leadership of your club, not get the position and authority he is used to having and wants. Posters keep saying "hire him and then move him to DoF", well, you already have a DoF. Newly appointed. Who's going to fire that one to put Rangnick in his place? The guys who newly appointed him? Makes no sense.

Secondly, why do you believe his skillset is what's needed at Manchster United? You are not a third or fourth division club that can be made from scratch, with no history, or weight of expectation, or identity to frame the scope of his vision.
You don't need to be built from the ground up, using strict strategic measures like only buying U23 players with an internal salary cap of 3m per year (~50k per week), like he did at Leipzig. How is the situation at Man United in any way comparable? You have Pogba, Cavani, fecking Ronaldo, for christ's sake. You need a manager who can coach a team full of superstars and get them winning at the highest level. That's not Rangnick's specialty at all.

Connected to that is the fact that he's not even really been working as a manager, in the sense of coaching a team. He's done it at times, and when he's done it he indeed was pretty good at it. But still, the vast majority of his time in the last decade was spent in boardrooms instead of dressing rooms.

I get that many of you are yearning for fundamental change and some kind of methodical reform, but honestly Rangnick sounds more like a bad idea than a good one to me.

Last edited:

DON’T PANIC ™

This guy is a dinosaur, another LVG. Why on earth would anyone think bringing a guy out of semi-retirement to manage Utd? If he was still any good why is he working in Ukraine?
Where’s Terry Venables, is he available?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

First of all, Rangnick would, barring a major and fundamental upheaval in the leadership of your club, not get the position and authority he is used to having and wants. Posters keep saying "hire him and then move him to DoF", well, you already have a DoF. Newly appointed. Who's going to fire that one to put Rangnick in his place? The guys who newly appointed him? Makes no sense.

Secondly, why do you believe his skillset is what's needed at Manchster United? You are not a third or fourth division club that can be made from scratch, with no history, or weight of expectation, or identity to frame the scope of his vision.
You don't need to be built from the ground up, using strict strategic measures like only buying U23 players with an internal salary cap of 3m per year (~50k per week), like he did at Leipzig. How is the situation at Man United in any way comparable? You have Pogba, Cavani, fecking Ronaldo, for christ's sake. You need a manager who can coach a team full of superstars and get them winning at the highest level. That's not Rangnick's specialty at all.

Connected to that is the fact that he's not even really been working as a manager, in the sense of coaching a team. He's done it at times, and when he's done it he indeed was pretty good at it. But still, the vast majority of his time in the last decade was spent in boardrooms instead of dressing rooms.

I get that many of you are yearning for fundamental change and some kind of methodical reform, but honestly Rangnick sounds more like a bad idea than a good one to me.
I agree with you. And I also used to be of the opinion that I wanted Rangnick above all else, but the more I looked into his work, the more it seemed like his work was suited to improving clubs that were starting off at the lower echelons of the German leagues and backed by billionaire owners. But that isn't to say he didn't do a good job, he sure did. But his work can easily be replicated by people within the UK at a top club IMO.

SmallCaine

Murtough is a very experienced data analyst. He actually had far more experience when he got the job than Overmars or Edwards when they got theirs, he is the one alongsige Butt who revamped the youth system, he was highly rated at Everton under Moyes and then got poached by the Premier League as their head of elite performance. Murtough having that kind of job has nothing to do with Woodward.
How does everyone we hire be so highly rated yet so poor at their jobs? Mckenna was a highly rated coach, can't actually coach anything if you watch our team but he is highly rated. Everyone keeps talking about Murtough's work with the youth setup, yet we have 0 actual youth players he's signed anywhere near our first team. Murtough's job has everything to do with woodward, would murtough have a dof job if he wasn't at utd? would any experienced DOF accept a job where he has no say in who the next manager would be. Normally a manager is answerable to the DOF here they seem to be working parallel to each other would an overmars or rangnick accept this power structure?

SmallCaine

I couldn't agree more with that bolded part. Liverpool is schooling us on this aspect of running a club. Michael Edwards is leaving, and they already have a replacement groomed for nine years, all caught up and prepared to take the step up.

I see your point about leverage, and if that is indeed the case, that we aren't even interested in a proper implementation of the DoF, then we're clearly making a mess of it all over again. I prefer to remain optimistic at this point though and hope we're actually giving him the necessary power to do the job. I spent some time going through Murthough's career when he was appointed - cause I was surprised we didn't go for someone with more experience - , and I think he has a decent set of qualifications for the role, so I'm not sure I'd agree it's a similar situation to Ole.

As for the lack of managers available. We should pay whatever we need to get the most suitable manager. We're not a poor mid-table side, we're the club with the second highest revenue in world football - it shouldn't be a problem for us to go get exactly the man we want. The whole "who is available" all feels like nonsense and PR-spin to be honest. So what if the guy we want works for someone else? Why should that stop us?
My comparing him to Ole is not a diss on him though I have far less faith in him than others seem to have as we are yet to see his youth revamp payoff in any tangible way. I am not calling him unsuited or inept just that he's never held a role similar to this at any big club so he lacks experience and the heft to question the higher ups at the club a quality we definitely need in both the manager and DOF at utd given the pretty clear lack of ability to run the club displayed by most of the ownership and management.

As for lack of managers, you are ignoring the human aspect, unless you are truly a mercenary or think you will never get a similar chance most managers who have a job right now won't just ditch their current clubs midway through the season atleast the top quality ones won't. If we want say a Ten Haag, we will have to wait for summer no other choice.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

People here dream of United being a club that is destined to have some magic rebuild in a German style of gegenpressing or something. They want a Klopp type rebuild to happen, when it's really not a realistic path for us at all.

gajender

How does everyone we hire be so highly rated yet so poor at their jobs? Mckenna was a highly rated coach, can't actually coach anything if you watch our team but he is highly rated. Everyone keeps talking about Murtough's work with the youth setup, yet we have 0 actual youth players he's signed anywhere near our first team. Murtough's job has everything to do with woodward, would murtough have a dof job if he wasn't at utd? would any experienced DOF accept a job where he has no say in who the next manager would be. Normally a manager is answerable to the DOF here they seem to be working parallel to each other would an overmars or rangnick accept this power structure?
Because the most important person who actually brings everything together on the field has mostly been shit which by the way predates the restructuring , let's give the new team atleast chance to fail before condemning them shall we.

Trezeguet17

This guy is a dinosaur, another LVG. Why on earth would anyone think bringing a guy out of semi-retirement to manage Utd? If he was still any good why is he working in Ukraine?
Where’s Terry Venables, is he available?
Actually he is the opposite of a dinosaur. I would argue that after Guardiola he is together with Klopp (altough Klopp himself said Rangnick inspired his thinking about tactics) the person with the biggest influence on how modern football with the high lines and relentless pressing is played today.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Actually he is the opposite of a dinosaur. I would argue that after Guardiola he is together with Klopp (altough Klopp himself said Rangnick inspired his thinking about tactics) the person with the biggest influence on how modern football with the high lines and relentless pressing is played today.
I'd say the biggest influence when it comes to high lines and controlled chaos (counter pressing) was a chap called Helmut Groß. And if it wasn't for Groß, many believe Rangnick's career would've played out differently.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why don’t we just let this guy take over till the end of the season and then give him Ed Woodward’s job… it’s that simple!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Two things that negate all your points. DOFs rarely move, you are looking at it as if you were talking about managers but clubs rarely sign experienced DOFs, the common process is an internal appointment that fits the club specifically. Also you don't know how much say Murtough has and no Murtough being a DOF doesn't have everything to do with Woodward, it's a bit crass to ignore someone's career like that. And we don't know what the power structure actually is and how it will evolve over the years, one of the strange things done here is that Murtough was appointed in March/April while a manager was in place, it would be weird to suddenly change his power but there is a possibility that it happens with the next head coach.

An example of DOFs that had zero experience as DOF before taking a big job Overmars, Salihamidzic, Zorc, Edwards, Leonardo, Begiristain(in 2003 for Barcelona), Cherubini at Juventus and the list goes to almost all big clubs.

Pronewbie

Peep
With our squad any decent interim manager will be able to finish top 4. Best to have someone who can modernise the club because let's not kid ourselves we are behind the likes of RB Leipzig in that department.

SmallCaine

Two things that negate all your points. DOFs rarely move, you are looking at it as if you were talking about managers but clubs rarely sign experienced DOFs, the common process is an internal appointment that fits the club specifically. Also you don't know how much say Murtough has and no Murtough being a DOF doesn't have everything to do with Woodward, it's a bit crass to ignore someone's career like that. And we don't know what the power structure actually is and how it will evolve over the years, one of the strange things done here is that Murtough was appointed in March/April while a manager was in place, it would be weird to suddenly change his power but there is a possibility that it happens with the next head coach.

An example of DOFs that had zero experience as DOF before taking a big job Overmars, Salihamidzic, Zorc, Edwards, Leonardo, Begiristain(in 2003 for Barcelona), Cherubini at Juventus and the list goes to almost all big clubs.
Except most of them interned for that role in a structure that had experienced people guiding them, city for eg didn't just promote someone from within they brought in begiristain to court pep and create a structure he's used to working in. Woodward just one day decided murtough will get the job. Our next CEO has no experience on football side of things seems to rate signings on basis of whether they trend on twitter or not, the so called chief negotiator is an ex investment banker who if reports are to be believed can't even remember names of players he's trying to sign. Now we have a technical director and a Director of Football neither of whom have done this before, who exactly teaches them the ropes of this job?

As i replied to another poster, i am not questioning his competence, he might be good for the role but he's not exactly being placed in a position to succeed here given people around and especially above him. A more experienced guy might help.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I agree with you. And I also used to be of the opinion that I wanted Rangnick above all else, but the more I looked into his work, the more it seemed like his work was suited to improving clubs that were starting off at the lower echelons of the German leagues and backed by billionaire owners. But that isn't to say he didn't do a good job, he sure did. But his work can easily be replicated by people within the UK at a top club IMO.
People here dream of United being a club that is destined to have some magic rebuild in a German style of gegenpressing or something. They want a Klopp type rebuild to happen, when it's really not a realistic path for us at all.
He did a great job, no doubt, building two whole Bundesliga clubs, let's say Europa League level, from scratch, with generous funding. He also did a good job managing Schalke, and Leipzig in between Hasenhüttl and Nagelsmann, even if he stayed in both jobs just for a short time.

But Man United don't need club-building, and it's not like high pressing or counter pressing is some secret German alchemy which is only employed and can only be coached by Germans. Pep does it, loads of other coaches do it, and they sure didn't need to learn it from fecking Ralf Rangnick.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

He did a good job, no doubt, building two whole Bundesliga clubs, let's say Europa League level, from scratch, with generous funding. He also did a job managing Schalke and Leipzig, even if he stayed in both jobs just for a short time.

But Man United don't need club-building, and it's not like high pressing or counter pressing is some secret German alchemy which is only employed and can only be coached by Germans. Pep does it, loads of other coaches do it, and they sure didn't need to learn it from fecking Ralf Rangnick.
We do need to develop that side of our game though, we have no idea how to press but it seems to be integral to being a challenger in the PL and CL. He could certainly teach us that.

Rangnick is a decently safe pair of hands and could improve us imo. Who do you think Utd should appoint as interim out of interest?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Except most of them interned for that role in a structure that had experienced people guiding them, city for eg didn't just promote someone from within they brought in begiristain to court pep and create a structure he's used to working in. Woodward just one day decided murtough will get the job. Our next CEO has no experience on football side of things seems to rate signings on basis of whether they trend on twitter or not, the so called chief negotiator is an ex investment banker who if reports are to be believed can't even remember names of players he's trying to sign. Now we have a technical director and a Director of Football neither of whom have done this before, who exactly teaches them the ropes of this job?

As i replied to another poster, i am not questioning his competence, he might be good for the role but he's not exactly being placed in a position to succeed here given people around and especially above him. A more experienced guy might help.
You definitely questioned his competence and you also questioned his past experiences in jobs that are linked to being a DOF since he was a data analyst. Now on your last point, he definitely hasn't been put in an ideal position to succeed, chiefly because he has to shape his own role instead of having one that is well defined by the club but we can kind of take comfort in the fact that it has been the case since 2013, his previous role was also poorly defined, I assume that it was the case for @Adnan but it took me a bit of time to understand what was expected from him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Rangnick is a decently safe pair of hands and could improve us imo. Who do you think Utd should appoint as interim out of interest?
I just can't see Rangnick coming in just as interim without being able to do his thing, which is to be very, very overbearing.
While he's definitively hopelessly desperate to get a big name job under his belt at the end of his career, and might make huge compromises for that, he won't be able to change his nature and surely won't be able to fool the board about it (let's just sink in for a second that the guy has just taken over the DoF post of Lokomotiv Moscow in summer and yet has his agent telling journos how interested he is in Man United..)

And as mere interims, there's a lot of other decent candidates who don't have the drive to inject themselves in the whole club's running.

But first of all, the important thing is to get the next permanent appointment right, and that's probably more likely to happen in summer (if we are talking about Pochettino, Potter, or even Ten Hag who I really hope doesn't end up at your club).
And then the question is, do you really need to sack Solskjaer and appoint an interim, or can Solskjaer do an alright job until summer as he has done so far?
Losing to Liverpool and City, the way you did, might be reason to upgrade on him in general, but not necessarily to sack him outright - an immediate sacking would be necessary if results are bad and are plummeting against worse teams, no? I don't think any incoming caretaker could be expected to beat Liverpool at Anfield, to put it like that.

As caretakers if must be, Dean Smith is just available and surely a capable manager, Favre is free and is very good in his first season at a new club, how about Laurent Blanc?

stoinz

Would Rangnick wants to come and be care-taker though? I wouldn't want him as a permanent manager just too many similarities with LVG.

Laurencio

My comparing him to Ole is not a diss on him though I have far less faith in him than others seem to have as we are yet to see his youth revamp payoff in any tangible way. I am not calling him unsuited or inept just that he's never held a role similar to this at any big club so he lacks experience and the heft to question the higher ups at the club a quality we definitely need in both the manager and DOF at utd given the pretty clear lack of ability to run the club displayed by most of the ownership and management.

As for lack of managers, you are ignoring the human aspect, unless you are truly a mercenary or think you will never get a similar chance most managers who have a job right now won't just ditch their current clubs midway through the season atleast the top quality ones won't. If we want say a Ten Haag, we will have to wait for summer no other choice.
Given Murthough's career I don't see a single argument as to why he is unsuited for the role. He has the necessary qualifications and he is doing a good job in the areas where we can measure his success. His job is to ensure that professional structures are in place and he does that job brilliantly. It is not a coincident that this is the first season under Ed Woodward where we haven't looked absolutely clueless in managing player aquisitions - Sancho and Varane were both done quickly, and without any fuss. Fact of the matter is that the two others you mention Ole and Fletcher, and to some extent Ed, you are bang on, they were not qualified for the job they were given - but when it comes to Murthough you are just way off. The man is highly rated by everyone, and has a track record of implementing and creating structures, the establishment of the women's team for instance, recruitment of some of the best talent in England to lead the youth system, hiring our first data scientist ever - finally starting to catch up to Liverpool and City, or the revamp of the youth system - I know your argument is that it isn't producing first team results, but I would argue that is on the manager. Fact is the club is running better on that side of thing after his appointment than before it, and that is a credit to him. He has the experience, the understanding of football, the understanding of data and the ability to implement effective structures that you need a DoF to have. He is most certainly not the problem at the club. He's a casuality of having been lumped together with the appointment of Fletcher as a technical director, it makes you assume that he must be as unqualified - which he really isn't.

Would Ten Hag honestly say no to a 10 million pound pay rise, managing at this level with the kind of money we can offer him to spend? I reckon we haven't even tried. I get saying no to relegation candidates Newcastle, and their project, but Manchester United? That is not a chance that comes about very often in one's career. No other top job is available or looks to be available any time soon. Ancelotti is doing well, Xavi got the Barca gig, Chelsea have Tuchel, Liverpool have Klopp, Guardiola rubbished rumours he would quit in 2023, Italy and total voetball does not mix, Atletico has Simeone and Bayern have Nagelsmann - this would be the biggest job available in football. With no clear indication that any of the other top jobs becoming available anytime soon, why would he reject an approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.