Would you take Rangnick back (As a DOF and NOT a manager)?

croadyman

Erik just casting him aside was when I first thought hang on at least hear the guy out

Was spot on with his assessment of the club and players. Not really surprised, he's a smart guy.

AshRK

Erik just casting him aside was when I first thought hang on at least hear the guy out
We are the only club that leaves these things at the hand of a manager. Murtough should be blamed more than eth.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
We'll never win anything until the parasite owners are chased out. The parasites will never be chased out until there isn't any blood left to suck out of the club and us fans. Don't give them the opportunity to suck our blood any more. Don't give them a cent of your money. They are the malaise of this club. The continued off field drama, spoiled, lazy, complacent players and shit, tumescent, agonizingly awful football are only symptoms or results of the corrupted DNA of the club.
:lol:

Search "parasite" by bdspeedy

croadyman

We are the only club that leaves these things at the hand of a manager. Murtough should be blamed more than eth.
Oh yeah only reason Murtough got in this club in first place was because of Moyes

lsd

The Oracle
Yes and only for Ten Hag insisting we got rid we would have him right now and we wouldn't have wasted so much money on the players we have signed.

The worst thing we did was listen to Ten Hag and then give him all control of recruitment.

That has set us back years

croadyman

Yes and only for Ten Hag insisting we got rid we would have him right now and we wouldn't have wasted so much money on the players we have signed.

The worst thing we did was listen to Ten Hag and then give him all control of recruitment.

Yeah full control of recruitment was idiotic

3KDré

100% thought he should of been given the job at the time, the idea that Murtough is in the role ahead of him was crazy
Very typical of our club to have someone less qualified in the same job to decide whether or not he should basically be replaced by someone far superior.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Would be interesting to see how he would have spent 400m

croadyman

Would be interesting to see how he would have spent 400m
Much better when you look at players he has referenced we should sign,however after outing the club's shoddy recruitment in public no way do these owners let him back.

NZT-One

Yeah at least on the phone or send a co-trainer or assistant or whatever. Hearing him out comes for free, what you do with the information is a completely different question but just not using it because... whatever was a pretty ignorant thing to do.

A bit overly dramatic isn't it. Most of the players we brought in, are capable of playing modern football. The technical level is fairly high and their physical attributes aren't the worst thing in the world. We overpaid, no question about it. Age structure not ideal, I'd agree here too. But it is not like nobody could get any tune out of them. I think, Ole set us back way more, bringing in Maguire and AWB, who I am really sorry for not being around 20 years ago.

---

To answer the question of the OP: 100% yes. I'd take him in any capacity. Everybody with some football knowledge in terms of squad composition, talent development, strategy would be great. No question about that. (That being said, I applaud probably anybody the club brings in with a comparable skillset, don't have a hard on RR and the criticism of being a bit too undiplomatic in his statements is certainly valid)

Irwin99

Hey Ralf, everyone at the club really hated you, the dressing room was toxic as feck (but then, isn't always according to reports) and we think you're a shite manager and we didn't value your (correct) opinion that the club is structurally terrible and light years behind other top clubs...

...would you like to come back and work for us again :D

bdspeedy

:lol:

Search "parasite" by bdspeedy
Just admit you're a Glazer lover. At least be up front. Be happy bending over and taking it in the shorts by grifters who are only using the club as an ATM. They are the problem. If you're happy with owners who will continue to suck this team dry, put us into CRIPPLING debt, let the facilities and stadium decay further and have transformed it to an atmosphere of WEAK, LAZY, MOANING and SPOILED players who are only here for a paycheck -- at the fans expense-- then enjoy the next 10 years of shit football.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Everything we touch turns to shite. They can’t even sell the club in a way that benefits it. The glazers can’t financially ride out a full rebuild without loads more debt. They are skint. It’s over for them as far as any lasting success goes. All they ever needed to do or we need to do is buy the best 2 or 3 aggressive young players in the world every year until it clicks again. If Rashford Martial and co keep downing tools then bin them. It all really depends on the remit of the DOF. If it’s to keep scraping top 4 then keeping slightly above average players happy by changing manager every 2 years is fine. If we want to rebuild a dynasty on the principles that made us what we are (the very best English/Scottish/welsh/Irish players) First dibs on the Scandinavian market and a very close eye on under 21 players around the world, then I think with proper scouting over the last few years we could have assembled a supporting cast for those players listed above out of savvy free transfers. Gk for example Donnarumma and Onana both went on frees over the last few years. There are bargains to be had if you can pay a high enough wage and can foster a non toxic work environment. No manager has had that power or stability behind him. It’s a case of well you already have the highest paid keeper in the world and wingers in the league so make do please. The buck stops with the players and the owners for protecting those players and for cheaping out and being mega short sighted over and over at crucial moments since they came in. It’s been going on since 2009. It’s all fallen down around them while they smile and cash their cheques. Rats.

croadyman

Hey Ralf, everyone at the club really hated you, the dressing room was toxic as feck (but then, isn't always according to reports) and we think you're a shite manager and we didn't value your (correct) opinion that the club is structurally terrible and light years behind other top clubs...

...would you like to come back and work for us again :D
Yeah that's summed it up perfectly

croadyman

Everything we touch turns to shite. They can’t even sell the club in a way that benefits it. The glazers can’t financially ride out a full rebuild without loads more debt. They are skint. It’s over for them as far as any lasting success goes. All they ever needed to do or we need to do is buy the best 2 or 3 aggressive young players in the world every year until it clicks again. If Rashford Martial and co keep downing tools then bin them. It all really depends on the remit of the DOF. If it’s to keep scraping top 4 then keeping slightly above average players happy by changing manager every 2 years is fine. If we want to rebuild a dynasty on the principles that made us what we are (the very best English/Scottish/welsh/Irish players) First dibs on the Scandinavian market and a very close eye on under 21 players around the world, then I think with proper scouting over the last few years we could have assembled a supporting cast for those players listed above out of savvy free transfers. Gk for example Donnarumma and Onana both went on frees over the last few years. There are bargains to be had if you can pay a high enough wage and can foster a non toxic work environment. No manager has had that power or stability behind him. It’s a case of well you already have the highest paid keeper in the world and wingers in the league so make do please. The buck stops with the players and the owners for protecting those players and for cheaping out and being mega short sighted over and over at crucial moments since they came in. It’s been going on since 2009. It’s all fallen down around them while they smile and cash their cheques. Rats.
Yeah it definitely started back in the summer of 2009 when Ronaldo was replaced by Valencia,Obertan & Owen. Just look at the quality of player we could have signed in that 4 year period but for that "no value in the market glazernomics" Fergie was forced to peddle.

lex talionis

I was actually a Ralf supporter at the time and was mind-boggled we didn't keep him on as DOF or some other meaningful consulting role. If we could go back in time, sure, of course I'd bring him back. But now, after how the club treated him I'm not sure it would make any sense to actually bring him back. It would be something like re-marrying the wife you divorced...would it ever be what you would dream of after everything that led to the divorce? I don't think so.

My answer to the question whether we should have sacked Ralf remains the same now as before -- no. The club desperately needs a four star general who directs football performance strategy and ensures that his staff, including the manager, adheres to the strategy. But what we did instead was fukking idiotic, which was to let the manager pick his transfer targets without anyone within the club making sure these targets were sensible.

Most of ETK's targets were daft if not revolting. There was nothing even in YouTube videos of Antony that made me think to myself OMG I hope we get this one over the line. I actually like Mount but he's not the player we needed unless the master plan revolved around shipping off Bruno. And although Onana is a decent keeper our previous keeper was not the problem with the squad last season, a season when our defensive record was actually very impressive. And although I like Hojlund as one for the future, it's pretty clear already that he's not going to tear up the turf across the EPL landscape this season and really should have been brought in as a backup striker to the proven striker we needed vastly more than a new keeper or backup for Bruno. Ralf would have put a stop to this madness and focused our transfer activity where it needed to be focused -- a proven striker, a backup striker, a CB, and cover for Casemiro.

Kaos

I don't think we should have binned his consultancy role to begin with. And yes, I'd definitely take someone who has experience in the actual role over a chancer like Murtough.

croadyman

I was actually a Ralf supporter at the time and was mind-boggled we didn't keep him on as DOF or some other meaningful consulting role. If we could go back in time, sure, of course I'd bring him back. But now, after how the club treated him I'm not sure it would make any sense to actually bring him back. It would be something like re-marrying the wife you divorced...would it ever be what you would dream of after everything that led to the divorce? I don't think so.

My answer to the question whether we should have sacked Ralf remains the same now as before -- no. The club desperately needs a four star general who directs football performance strategy and ensures that his staff, including the manager, adheres to the strategy. But what we did instead was fukking idiotic, which was to let the manager pick his transfer targets without anyone within the club making sure these targets were sensible.

Most of ETK's targets were daft if not revolting. There was nothing even in YouTube videos of Antony that made me think to myself OMG I hope we get this one over the line. I actually like Mount but he's not the player we needed unless the master plan revolved around shipping off Bruno. And although Onana is a decent keeper our previous keeper was not the problem with the squad last season, a season when our defensive record was actually very impressive. And although I like Hojlund as one for the future, it's pretty clear already that he's not going to tear up the turf across the EPL landscape this season and really should have been brought in as a backup striker to the proven striker we needed vastly more than a new keeper or backup for Bruno. Ralf would have put a stop to this madness and focused our transfer activity where it needed to be focused -- a proven striker, a backup striker, a CB, and cover for Casemiro.
Superb post,be careful though if the club see that much sense being wrote they will sack you

croadyman

I don't think we should have binned his consultancy role to begin with. And yes, I'd definitely take someone who has experience in the actual role over a chancer like Murtough.
One of the stupidest decisions ever made

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The club needs a ruthless clear out and he was prepared to say it. Bring him back and let him do it above a coach that will work with youth and reshape the squad.

I want a squad with Mainoo, Hannibal etc and some new exciting young signings.

Rashford, Shaw, Bruno, Martial, McTominey have all had their day and think they run the show. Get them out and use the money to rebuild with a vision.

204Red

Yeah it definitely started back in the summer of 2009 when Ronaldo was replaced by Valencia,Obertan & Owen. Just look at the quality of player we could have signed in that 4 year period but for that "no value in the market glazernomics" Fergie was forced to peddle.
So despite not spending any money, in the 4 seasons after that we finished
2nd (winning the LC)
1st (reaching the CL final)
2nd (on bloody goal difference)
1st (and were unlucky to go out vs Real with that horrible red card on Nani)

we would kill for that now.

How is our record post fergie with massive investments in players? We spend more than city and Liverpool, yet buy worse players.

The problem isn't investment, its how we've squandered the money we do spend, that shows no sign of letting up in our current set up. ETM splunking 50M on Onana reeks of Moyes spending nearly 30M on Felliani. At least when Fergie was in charge over those last 4 seasons, the club signed and played talented young players (DDG, the DeSilvas, Chicarito, Smalling)... people seem to forget how much of a gamble signing Ronaldo actually was... and how it took at least 3 seasons to pay off... now we spend 60M on future has beens like Mount and Casemiro and 80+ on Donkeys like Maguire. Do you think Fergie would have signed any of those players? Do you think he wouldnt have dropped the likes of Bruno, Rashford, Onana, Casemiro without hesitation. Do you think he would have signed Sancho and paid him a small fortune, and if he did, do you think he'd still be at the club after all of this bull shit?

johanovic

Ragnick spoke the truth about the state of the club we love and the bloody parasites that are the current custodinans of the club chose to ignore that...Ragnick will never be back but we need someone of similar ilk as him. But that will not happen while the bloody Glazers are running the show.....I stood up and turned the telly of in the last 2 games against City and Newcastle and I think I´ve never done that before. I will not be going to Old Trafford as I do several times a season until I see the parasites loosing control...I will support United until I die but this has gone to far...the club feels like a graveyard at the moment while the undertakers are having a party...I despise the Glazers and I can not belive that fans will sit for this much longer..shutting down games, walkouts or what ever can be done needs to be done.

Yes. I didn’t want Utd to end his contract at the time. We are the ‘dumb money’ in the transfer market. He had outlined plans to change that.

I don’t know how well his plan would go down with fans though- Identifying unknowns instead of buying big-name (or semi-big-name) players.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
So despite not spending any money, in the 4 seasons after that we finished
2nd (winning the LC)
1st (reaching the CL final)
2nd (on bloody goal difference)
1st (and were unlucky to go out vs Real with that horrible red card on Nani)

we would kill for that now.

How is our record post fergie with massive investments in players? We spend more than city and Liverpool, yet buy worse players.

The problem isn't investment, its how we've squandered the money we do spend, that shows no sign of letting up in our current set up. ETM splunking 50M on Onana reeks of Moyes spending nearly 30M on Felliani. At least when Fergie was in charge over those last 4 seasons, the club signed and played talented young players (DDG, the DeSilvas, Chicarito, Smalling)... people seem to forget how much of a gamble signing Ronaldo actually was... and how it took at least 3 seasons to pay off... now we spend 60M on future has beens like Mount and Casemiro and 80+ on Donkeys like Maguire. Do you think Fergie would have signed any of those players? Do you think he wouldnt have dropped the likes of Bruno, Rashford, Onana, Casemiro without hesitation. Do you think he would have signed Sancho and paid him a small fortune, and if he did, do you think he'd still be at the club after all of this bull shit?
The problem is investment.

United did well in the four years you quoted because they had a core. An aging core, but a core, consisting of numerous world class or close to world class players.

They let nearly a decade without top signing pass before starting to panic buy again in 2016 as they had no core at that stage

If adjusted for inflation (post Neymar pre Neymar) City have definitely spent more than United over the last 10 years. The difference is that they did gradually and therefore always had a core, which allowed them to not have to panic buy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd love him back in that capacity. I'd present him stood next to Erik when the players come into training in the morning after they have all just been briefed that the manager has the full backing of the club, any leaks against him will see players excommuncated and that we now have a new DoF. Then they see him with his glasses, smiling with a folder in hand.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Absolutely. Posters hate him for doing an awful job as a manager but everyone knows what his true qualities are. They hated him even more when these cnuts raised their level last season to survive under a new manager. Ragnick would have done a fine job for our recruitment.

Son

Rangnick was the best thing to happen to the club in years. Every word he spoke made sense. Billy Big Bollocks ten Hag thought he knew better, and look at the state the club is in. It continues to spiral downward.
I wouldn’t say he was a genius but he defo spoke truth. Ten Hag totally disrespected him due to arrogance and the club not liking Rangnick either basically. He told the truth.

If the club had any balls they’d have told Ten Hag work with him or we’ll hire another manager who will. It was supposed to be a plan! You don’t just throw it out the window as soon as a shiny new toy appears.

Pep trusts his associates at City who know the type of player he wants. It’s the opposite at our club. Manager doesn’t trust those above him Rangnick or no Rangnick Ten Hag isn’t ready for this gig if he can’t work with people. Huge weakness.

saivet

No, I think he's burned his bridge and more importantly I don't think he is so good of a DoF that it's worth the hassle of bringing him back. Obviously if it was just between him and Murtough then you go with Rangnick but think it's better to move on and go with someone else.

I think ultimately, even the idea of him staying as an advisor probably wouldn't have worked anyway as his advise would have likely been that the club is a mess, and quite frankly that's not what they would have wanted to hear.

tomaldinho1

I'd love him back in that capacity. I'd present him stood next to Erik when the players come into training in the morning after they have all just been briefed that the manager has the full backing of the club, any leaks against him will see players excommuncated and that we now have a new DoF. Then they see him with his glasses, smiling with a folder in hand.
I would love this. Make him call the register every morning

Overhaul FC

Ten Hag didn't know how much he needed Rangnick at the time and thought he knew better.

Know he knows.

The two of them together would have been better than one of them following the other.

But we can't underestimate how much the Glazers wouldn't have wanted Rangnick to stay, or how much they wouldn't have wanted to pair him with Ten Hag. Their knowledge and ideas would've clashed too much with the Glazer motives.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ten Hag didn't know how much he needed Rangnick at the time and thought he knew better.

Know he knows.

The two of them together would have been better than one of them following the other.

But we can't underestimate how much the Glazers wouldn't have wanted Rangnick to stay, or how much they wouldn't have wanted to pair him with Ten Hag. Their knowledge and ideas would've clashed too much with the Glazer motives.
I believe the idea that he would stay on as a consultant already died (at least on his part) when he wasn't allowed to do transfer business in the winter. I think that made clear to Rangnick that he wouldn't be allowed to give decisive input, which is what he wanted to do. I think EtH also not wanting to work with him gave all participants a face-saving solution how to nullify his consultancy contract, but I don't think it was the only reason.