Would you take Rangnick back (As a DOF and NOT a manager)?

KD6-3.7

Oh feck off you muppet. :lol:
Feck off yourself buddy. Look at his signings and tell me he isn’t incredibly narrow minded when most have a link to him or the Dutch league.

I like Ten Hag but even Ajax fans warned us about this.

jeepers

Not with Glazers as owners. They are only interested in the bottom line. Culture has to be spot on at the top.

croadyman

I don’t know enough about Ralf to know whether he possesses the requisite genius for the job, but I am convinced the new owner needs to clean house.

But we may stuck with the Glzaers for years. Many years.
That's us finished as a competitive threat

lex talionis

That's us finished as a competitive threat
I've come to expect mediocrity from United, but it will take me a long time to accept it. I'm a long suffering fan of our local NBA team, the Sacramento Kings, and know a thing or two about mediocrity and all I can tell you is that it really hurts to be the laughingstock of the league. But it's even worse for United, as the financial resources are actually there to compete with City, but the owners are satisfied with mediocrity so long as the cash keeps getting firehosed in.

Redstain

Well, he wanted Alvarez and Caicedo before they were got by our rivals and proved to be good players.

Just on that he's been proven more capable than anything Murtough has done
He's good far more competent than Murtough. I personally don't trust Eth with recruitment, the warning from the Ajax fans about his ability to sign players was viable. I think Ragnick would focus on a younger crop of talent which is exactly what United need. They are more receptive to instructions and the manager can imprint his identity on the team. I know due to the manager underperforming this season the constant defense mechanism example of Arteta is repeatedly used, but what fans are missing with Arsenal is that they are a very young team it's far easier to be receptive when they still have much to learn.

The likes of Casemiro and Eriksen had their use last season but all thats going to happen with them around the first team is pro long the process of rebuilding the midfield given their respective ages. A shrewd recruitment team wouldn't make such moves regardless the severity of quality.

TheRedHearted

Brilliant, 3 mid table mediocre teams. Perfect.
They’re recruitment is quite good, I’ll take back Villa. Those teams sign young players for cheap.. have you heard of Haaland? Players go there because they trust they will be developed, we have the funds to have a core of players like that with one or two super stars if the right fit..

ToToMarshall

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ten Hag have some say in Rangnick not staying on in some capacity? Or am I misremembering that?

Teja

Nah, dude doesn't really have a filter. He's going to piss off basically everyone at the club for no real reason. I'm sure there are more competent DOFs than Murtough we can have in place.

Bwuk

Yes.

Rangnick was correct in his assessment of the squad, and his recommendations.

He wasn't a manager, and we put him in that position and judged him based off it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ten Hag have some say in Rangnick not staying on in some capacity? Or am I misremembering that?
It's hard to know. He turned down the chance of a meeting with him. But the club may well have scrapped the idea of the technical consultancy as it was becoming apparent that what Rangnick was advocating were wholesale changes which is definitely not something that the Glazers have an appetite for.

ToToMarshall

It's hard to know. He turned down the chance of a meeting with him. But the club may well have scrapped the idea of the technical consultancy as it was becoming apparent that what Rangnick was advocating were wholesale changes which is definitely not something that the Glazers have an appetite for.
Ah that might be what I'm remembering. Weird thing to do either way from EtH's perspective I think.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ah that might be what I'm remembering. Weird thing to do either way from EtH's perspective I think.
Not really because he had likely discussed what's possible with the club and promised to deliver despite being shackled by the Glazer's chasing their losses approach. All the players knew Rangnick didn't rate them and ETH is about to come in and win them on board. The sensible thing would likely to have been in touch with him when he was negotiating with the club to get a no-bullshit take on what it is actually like. That may be hubris on ETH's part.

In any case, Rangnick was absolutely right about the level of change required in order to truly turn this club around.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His reputation and credibility have been destroyed during his time with Utd. Just move on. There are many DOF out there who can do a good job.

Polar

The likes of Casemiro and Eriksen had their use last season but all thats going to happen with them around the first team is pro long the process of rebuilding the midfield given their respective ages.
Agree 100%. Not exactly the recipe for rebuilding and success.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
100% thought he should of been given the job at the time, the idea that Murtough is in the role ahead of him was crazy

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’ve always thought the DOF hires the manager that fits the profile of their plan and not the other way round. ETH wants to play long ball right now and Ragnick won’t be the right guy.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I've come to expect mediocrity from United, but it will take me a long time to accept it. I'm a long suffering fan of our local NBA team, the Sacramento Kings, and know a thing or two about mediocrity and all I can tell you is that it really hurts to be the laughingstock of the league. But it's even worse for United, as the financial resources are actually there to compete with City, but the owners are satisfied with mediocrity so long as the cash keeps getting firehosed in.
You haven't seen the worst of it, yet. Financial resources WERE available, in the past. Not anymore.

Newsflash: our coffers are EMPTY! We were not even able to buy Amrabat for 20 millions and had to beg for some pathetic loan deal until the last day of the transfer window, while the guy was on a strike at his club. That should tell you something, and it ain't getting better!

We can't sack EtH even if we wanted to, because we have no money to pay him off, let alone sponsor new manager and their needs.

We are bankrupt. And the money Sir Jim is paying, if it even happens, goes into Glazers pockets, NOT in any investment into the club

Jordi Cruyff 99

Rangnick was the best thing to happen to the club in years. Every word he spoke made sense. Billy Big Bollocks ten Hag thought he knew better, and look at the state the club is in. It continues to spiral downward.

Jordi Cruyff 99

A bit of perspective clearly needed here. It shouldn't "really hurt". Jeez. It's professional sport. You are simply a sports consumer. It's a source of entertainment. I'm not sure about yourself or your life, but that is extremely overboard and concerning.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Seems Rangnick wasn't wrong about an open-heart surgery?
He wasn't. I said it time and time again. He's not a good manager, but he was right about a lot of things at the club, especially with the type of players we had and the type of football the hierarchy aims to play.

Off the top of my head: DDG, Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Jones, McTominay, Fred, VdB, Rashford, Sancho, Martial

That's a list of 9 first teamers or rotation options and 2 invisibles (Jones + VdB) that are simply not good enough for the level this club wants to reach. These players either underperformed under Ralf and he saw them for what they were, or they haven't been performing for a very very long time, or constantly kept ignoring manager instructions.

I remember Liverpool away when he said about the first goal, something along the lines of "we had agreed not to have the CBs push up so that no space is left in behind for the other attackers to run into. 1st goal, Harry Maguire does his usual "I got this" shit, pushes up, leaves the space behind. Goal."

Replacing 9 first team players/rotation options is indeed open heart surgery. The Glazers didn't have the money to do it, so our hierarchy binned RR off. ETH should've talked to him for what its worth, otherwise what the was the point of the entire 6 month RR reign.

Jund

Heh. This guy came, saw the state of this club and NOPED out in 60 seconds. This should have been the wake up call.

johnnyteutonic

100% yes. I believe that Murtough and Arnold might be even worse than Woodward.
I really can't see a world where Rangnick wouldn't at least do a half-decent job, even with the fecking Glazers as owners.

Spark

A DoF with a strong opinion is not wanted by the Glazers,they cant handle the truth if someone says to them what is the problem within the club.
Comes down to priorities. Our problem is not their problem.

And that is why we're fecked for as long as they're here, no manager (or DOF - although we're yet to actually get a proper one, which goes back to the second sentence) can fight the cancer that has taken hold at the heart of our club.

Ragnick's open heart comment applies to the fabric of the club, not just the team itself. Would love it if he came back and had carte blanche to completely transform the footballing operations. Wishful thinking sadly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Didn’t he burn some bridges on the way out?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
A DoF with a strong opinion is not wanted by the Glazers,they cant handle the truth if someone says to them what is the problem within the club.
Exactly they want people who are in fear of their jobs so will do as they are told. Rangnick as you say is not scared of calling them out.

The Hilton

Feck off yourself buddy. Look at his signings and tell me he isn’t incredibly narrow minded when most have a link to him or the Dutch league.

I like Ten Hag but even Ajax fans warned us about this.
To be fair your post was useless hyperbole.

You wouldn't take "anyone" instead of Ten Hag for starters.

You're also suggesting to get rid of the manager because he isn't doing a good job of being an entire scouting and recruitment department - the problem with that thinking is that it's an accusation you can level at the vast majority of managers. We need a competent DOF, but more than that, we need an established style, with a data driven recruitment department that know what kind of profile they're looking for in players, and which stats are good indicators for that profile. Otherwise we're looking for someone to do the all the jobs of an entire footballing structure in one role, it just won't work.

AlexUTD

Comes down to priorities. Our problem is not their problem.

And that is why we're fecked for as long as they're here, no manager (or DOF - although we're yet to actually get a proper one, which goes back to the second sentence) can fight the cancer that has taken hold at the heart of our club.

Ragnick's open heart comment applies to the fabric of the club, not just the team itself. Would love it if he came back and had carte blanche to completely transform the footballing operations. Wishful thinking sadly.
I would not mind giving Ragnick the chance mate. Looking at the names of players he recommended then we would have a insane team comppared to the one we have. But it would make too much sense giving someone that know what they are doing the responsibility! :houllier:

Exactly they want people who are in fear of their jobs so will do as they are told. Rangnick as you say is not scared of calling them out.
Mate it was so refreshing to hear someone actually calling the leechesss out and giving a honest assessement on the structure and club i loved every minute of it! :D

lex talionis

A bit of perspective clearly needed here. It shouldn't "really hurt". Jeez. It's professional sport. You are simply a sports consumer. It's a source of entertainment. I'm not sure about yourself or your life, but that is extremely overboard and concerning.
I can assure you that I feel no physical “hurt” as in actual pain or some other medical condition requiring care after watching United play. The word “hurt” was meant above in an idiomatic sense, nothing more. Things are going alone just fine in my life of late, my older daughter who teaches at a university in New Haven recently having married a wonderful guy from Bremen, my younger daughter knocking it out of the park in Denver for The North Face, my wife being lovely as always, my cat bugging me every day at 4am to feed him and I myself keep in mind how fortunate I am in life. If it worries you that I feel anguish witnessing the decline of United I do appreciate your concern but I can assure that I can be near sharp knives and the only thing that will happen is that a few vegetables will be chopped, the knives cleaned and safely returned to their drawer.

I understand the case for being stoic about United’s condition. As my business partner likes to put it, it what it is. But there is something to be said for the passion that football ignites in some of us. That guy from Bremen doesn’t give a crap about football. Nothing wrong with that at all. But most of us on the caf do care about football and most of us the caf care about United. Deeply care I would think. And despite how much they care United I’m pretty sure each one of us can be in a room full of sharp knives without incident. That is as it should be and probably is for the match going fans who were disgusted with the football under Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole and now Ten Hag. There is no shame whatsoever in being passionate about football so long as that passion steers clear of racism, violence and the like, which I am proud to say is something not associated with United supporters in any way.

hobbers

I dont think a top level DoF would offer themselves up as interim manager and then two years as a "consultant".

He spotted the obvious things wrong and wasnt afraid to say it in public. But that doesnt mean he was well qualified to fix them.

lex talionis

You haven't seen the worst of it, yet. Financial resources WERE available, in the past. Not anymore.

Newsflash: our coffers are EMPTY! We were not even able to buy Amrabat for 20 millions and had to beg for some pathetic loan deal until the last day of the transfer window, while the guy was on a strike at his club. That should tell you something, and it ain't getting better!

We can't sack EtH even if we wanted to, because we have no money to pay him off, let alone sponsor new manager and their needs.

We are bankrupt. And the money Sir Jim is paying, if it even happens, goes into Glazers pockets, NOT in any investment into the club
Which is why if Sir Jim buys his stake in the club we are done as a competitive force on the pitch for at least a decade or however long it takes to for the Glazers and Sir Jim out of the club. That this is even a discussion boggles the mind. A full sale is the only way forward for the club in terms of being competitive on the pitch.

bdspeedy

We'll never win anything until the parasite owners are chased out. The parasites will never be chased out until there isn't any blood left to suck out of the club and us fans. Don't give them the opportunity to suck our blood any more. Don't give them a cent of your money. They are the malaise of this club. The continued off field drama, spoiled, lazy, complacent players and shit, tumescent, agonizingly awful football are only symptoms or results of the corrupted DNA of the club.