• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

I think he’s of great interest to the club because he’s at a good age yet has already accumulated a lot of experience as a manager and unlike most managers he doesn’t pay lip service to developing young players and we have some good ones. You can flip a coin between him and Poch.

LJJT

I highly recommend the fan base starts making negative noises about the potential for this x dipper to be our manager. Not only is he an incredibly cringey personality he is not a significant upgrade on OGS and even if you think he is he’s an x scouser. Do not let this happen no matter how much you all want OGS out, please.

Wheato

He seems such a great manager so why hasn't he won anything? Why he keeps bottling almost everything?
Leicester have been crippled with injuries and do not have the squad depth of the bigger clubs, but they have been punching above their weight for years.

Rodgers as a manager has won a damn sight more than Ole, with a quarter of the budget.

Celtic
Leicester City

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So who do you suggest ? Genuine question.
I would go for an interim manager and move the issue for next summer. Rangnick as interim manager + DOF afterwards would be the best option for us as he would remove Mates FC for the new manager to step in and do some work.

Wheato

I highly recommend the fan base starts making negative noises about the potential for this x dipper to be our manager. Not only is he an incredibly cringey personality he is not a significant upgrade on OGS and even if you think he is he’s an x scouser. Do not let this happen no matter how much you all want OGS out, please.
He's a life long United fan, though.

devilish

Leicester have been crippled with injuries and do not have the squad depth of the bigger clubs, but they have been punching above their weight for years.

Rodgers as a manager has won a damn sight more than Ole, with a quarter of the budget.

Celtic
Leicester City
As said, nothing.

Also note that I don't rate Ole at all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Celtic
Leicester City
If the barometer is as simple as being better than Ole, we can bring in so many choices.

I think the Stevie G slip, the poor CL campaign with Liverpool (and I think Celtic?) and choke on top 4s are what goes against him. Ten Hag is hyped a lot more but in truth I don't know which manager is truly going to be better.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
You’ll be waiting a while. Have you seen Sunderland til I die?

Although I reckon I’d be delighted to hear manager referring to everyone talking about how good we’ve been all season. When could that last happen?
As long as he isn't making it up, we would all be glad of it.

Rodgers shouldn't be blamed for the woeful way the Glazers have run the club and have consistently failed to plan appropriately, like City and Liverpool have. The fact that he appears to be the next manager is more an indictment on them than him.

I just don't see him winning anything. But let's be honest, our owners show that they care about CL qualification. Maybe he can deliver at least 4th every year.

Sorry. I am just extremely sceptical of this. And as you have said before, we haven't the option of a Klopp or a Guardiola who would be much more of a guarantee of the success the fans want.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As said, nothing.

Also note that I don't rate Ole at all.
This nonchalant dismissal at achievements is a bit silly. He's quite obviously won things, and an FA Cup is nothing to just dismiss as nothing for a club like Leicester.

He was very much underdogs to beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final and did a great job to win the cup. Community Shield means feck all but he played City in a style which matched theirs and beat them. In fact he's had Pep's number a couple of times.

The Scottish league may be a 2 horse league but back to back trebles is as a minimum, what you expect from a very good manager.

Not to mention he took Leicester to the periphery of top 4, with some expectation of breaking the top 4 from a much less operating level under Puel.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Honestly? I would go for an interim manager and move the issue for next summer. Rangnick as interim manager + DOF afterwards would be the best option for us as he would remove Mates FC for the new manager to step in and do some work.
Rangnick isn't coming for 6 months unless he is offered as a DOF after that and that's not going to happen , thanks to our incompetent board.We know we have an incompetent board else Conte would be here now.

So the viable options are hire an interim and go for the best one in summer. Now who will be that interim? We don't have anyone lined up.

Else hire Rodgers and see how things go.( Rodgers is still better than lot of managers )

Stick with Ole and wait until Summer (horrible move)

This is our situation, sadly.

Dante

Average bang
It's his inability to build a solid defence that worries me the most.

The fact he bottled it with Liverpool is actually a bit of positive. The guy caused so many scouse tears he's almost an honourary manc.

Frosty

Rangnick isn't coming for 6 months unless he is offered as a DOF after that and that's not going to happen , thanks to our incompetent board.We know we have an incompetent board else Conte would be here now.

So the viable options are hire an interim and go for the best one in summer. Now who will be that interim? We don't have anyone lined up.

Else hire Rodgers and see how things go.( Rodgers is still better than lot of managers )

Perhaps the problem is that lots of fans are viewing Rodgers as too small time for United.

Maybe we are that much of a dumpster fire that we are now too small time for the elite managers we want.

devilish

Which is exactly what United needs. Someone who comes in as interim manager, he understand how shit the coaching staff is, he gets promoted, he takes Murtough's and Fletcher's job and sack the coaching staff as well. We need an experienced and capable football person at our CEO's side, someone whose totally detached from Mates FC and can take tough football decisions.

devilish

This nonchalant dismissal at achievements is a bit silly. He's quite obviously won things, and an FA Cup is nothing to just dismiss as nothing for a club like Leicester.

He was very much underdogs to beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final and did a great job to win the cup. Community Shield means feck all but he played City in a style which matched theirs and beat them. In fact he's had Pep's number a couple of times.

The Scottish league may be a 2 horse league but back to back trebles is as a minimum, what you expect from a very good manager.

Not to mention he took Leicester to the periphery of top 4, with some expectation of breaking the top 4 from a much less operating level under Puel.
The FA cup hasn't been a serious cup since the 90s and the Scottish league is the pits. I bet even Championship clubs can go there and win the treble. How many times had Rodgers bottled 4th place? Do you trust a manager who was 5 points clear of winning the league title with 3 games to play and he still managed to bottling it? What is his record in Europe? Do you know that he bottled it in the CL group. He also lost to Besiktas, Lincoln Red Imps and Slavia Prague while managing Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That won't be a problem. He will have us mathematically safe by game 33.
I'm just concerned about a title race, it seems that the crystanbul year may have had long term consequences.

Wheato

If the barometer is as simple as being better than Ole, we can bring in so many choices.

I think the Stevie G slip, the poor CL campaign with Liverpool (and I think Celtic?) and choke on top 4s are what goes against him. Ten Hag is hyped a lot more but in truth I don't know which manager is truly going to be better.
Think of Rodgers with Leicester, then remove all of the things that holds him back. Budget, resources, squad depth, fear factor, pedigree, away support...

It's a win win for both parties. We both get what we want.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Which is exactly what United needs. Someone who comes in as interim manager, he understand how shit the coaching staff is, he gets promoted, he takes Murtough's and Fletcher's job and sack the coaching staff as well. We need an experienced and capable football person at our CEO's side, someone whose totally detached from Mates FC and can take tough football decisions.
I don't disagree but we both know that's never going to happen. Now,let's think practically- you know the situation very well . Given that, we could do worse than Rodgers.

Wheato

Not a very good one if he managed Liverpool. He knows all about “loyalty”
So what, he went from Swansea City to Liverpool. That's some leap for a manager still in his 30's. Not many people would turn that opportunity down. He has ten years more experience under his belt now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Reading a Tony Evans article about Rodgers' failed stint at Liverpool to refresh my memory as to what exactly went wrong there.

Although the meeting was off the record and he could not be quoted directly, what the Liverpool manager said made great copy. He talked about long, sleepless nights when he weighed up complex tactical issues and how he arrived at a ‘eureka’ moment and changed his principles to get the best out of his squad. He talked about his CORE philosophy – Commitment, Ownership, Responsibilities, Excellence – and explained how to apply each point. And he discussed players, articulating how he had improved Emre Can and Jordan Henderson while detailing why Mario Balotelli was doomed to failure on Merseyside.

The resulting pieces were published the day before Liverpool played Manchester United at home. They captured a manager in his element and the last high-water mark of Rodgers’ Anfield career. United blew their rivals away in a first half where Louis van Gaal out-thought his opposite number. Although the final score was only 2-1, the defeat was comprehensive. The season unravelled. Liverpool lost five of their last nine league games and, even more embarrassingly, were humiliated by a hitherto abject Aston Villa in the FA Cup semi-final. The campaign climaxed with a 6-1 defeat at Stoke City. All that was left was the lingering smell of bullshit.

I'd forgotten about that Rodgers spiel before they played us. Good times.

From the same article, some insight into Rodgers' hand in their transfer issues at the time (though in fairness they made bad decisions that extended beyond him too):

Fenway Sports Group (FSG) , the American owners, were convinced that Rodgers favoured English players. The arrival of Adam Lallana and, especially, Rickie Lambert, did not engender much confidence in Boston.
Can and Henderson were generating praise so Rodgers was keen to point out how he had improved them, even though he was strong-armed into putting the German in the team and did his best to get the Englishman out of the club.
Rodgers was on safer ground talking about Balotelli. He never wanted the Italian and was pressurised to play him, too. Yet the story the manager told about their interaction and the use of psychology to motivate the striker was laughable. The Northern Irishman sketched a drawing of a figure wearing a crown to illustrate to Balotelli that ‘we are all kings of our own destiny’. FSG had long stopped being amused by their manager’s antics.
FSG were eager to bring Daniel Sturridge to Anfield from Chelsea. With that deal almost done and the deadline clock ticking down, Rodgers offloaded Carroll to West Ham United. Then he turned down the Sturridge move, made an approach for Fulham’s Clint Dempsey and offered Henderson to Craven Cottage in part exchange.
Henry wrote an open letter to fans to shoot down the notion that the manager was being forced to sell and explaining their strategy. What they could not understand across the Atlantic is how Rodgers could “throw us under a bus”. It would not be the last time the phrase was used. Trust was undermined within three months. The roots of the transfer committee began there.
After Liverpool’s first failed attempt to sign Mohamed Salah in January 2014 – a player he was lukewarm about and argued against meeting Basel’s valuation – Rodgers said at a press conference that losing out on the Egyptian was “hard to take”. He was asked why the winger ended up at Chelsea. “That’s for the money guys to say,” he replied. FSG felt the bus roll over them again and one angry internal missive stated, “I’m fighting the urge to call him and tear him a new asshole”
Klopp inherited a squad that was not good enough but then benefited from a more coherent strategy in the market although his predecessor can hardly complain about the mess he helped create. The Northern Irishman sparked the recruitment chaos in August 2012 and it took until after Rodgers’ departure for things to get sorted out.
Key point being the last one, I think. It's fine to say that Liverpool squad wasn't very good and that they struggled to replace the likes of Suarez, but Rodgers himself played a big role in those transfer issues. And insofar as he has had any control over transfers at Leicester since his arrival, it hasn't exactly been a non-stop parade of hits either. The majority of the quality players in his current side are ones he inherited.

The fact that he clashed with Edwards (the man seen as largely responsible for their excellent recruitment in recent years) isn't a plus in his favour.

Last edited:

soapythecat

The way I see it is the club have zero interest in BR. This is just another great PR spin to turn the fans on each other and maybe consider Ole isn’t too bad after all (not my thoughts but what I feel the club is thinking).
Ole will be here for the next few months as the results will be hit and miss but not a complete whitewash. I don’t think the club are losing money at the moment in the stock market and Joel Glazer will look at the table and CL position and think we are only a few results away from being back in contention. They don’t watch us.

Swedish_Plumber

I honestly feel that the squad we’ve built is one for winning now and needs a manager able to harness all the egos too. I don’t think Rodgers is the man to do that, but most of the noise pints to him being most likely to come in.

Zidane would probably be best for that even though I’d prefer Ten hag in the longer term.

Sad that it’s come to this yet again though.

LJJT

So what, he went from Swansea City to Liverpool. That's some leap for a manager still in his 30's. Not many people would turn that opportunity down. He has ten years more experience under his belt now.
I just can’t see beyond the fact he managed Liverpool to be honest. I think he’s a decent manager and no doubt decent bloke but I am just not comfortable with a recent LFC manager being our manager. If he was exceptionally good I could potentially live with it but I honestly don’t think he’s much of an upgrade if at all on OGS. Leicester in my view have the most enviable recruitment strategy in the league. They buy great players that don’t have the big money/big pressure reputation

devilish

I don't disagree but we both know that's never going to happen. Now,let's think practically- you know the situation very well . Given that, we could do worse than Rodgers.
If we're signing someone who keeps Mates FC and the board happy then we might as well keep Ole. At least he is our own clown.

With Rodgers we're signing someone whom while better in terms of tactics is also a renowned bottler and. He's also very old school. At Liverpool he clashed with Edwards because he introduced data analysis in transfers thus stopping him signing legends like Bony, Ashley Williams and Bertrand.

Frosty

The way I see it is the club have zero interest in BR. This is just another great PR spin to turn the fans on each other and maybe consider Ole isn’t too bad after all (not my thoughts but what I feel the club is thinking).
Ole will be here for the next few months as the results will be hit and miss but not a complete whitewash. I don’t think the club are losing money at the moment in the stock market and Joel Glazer will look at the table and CL position and think we are only a few results away from being back in contention. They don’t watch us.
If true they are doing a great job.

Irwin99

I'm being very unreasonable in my head when when it comes to discussing Rodgers and I can't believe I'm that much of an outlier on this topic. Which makes it potentially a very risky appointment. If things don't go well really quickly the place will be toxic in a heartbeat.
I believe this would be the case sadly. The whole Liverpool connection and that David Brent stuff he used to do are not easily forgotten.

I think he's a good manager, i'm just not sure if he'll be a great manager and a winner here. I wouldn't be enthusiastic about this at all but it's better than Southgate i guess.

djembatheking

If this happens it just raises the level of incompetence in the decision makers at this football club . A recipe for disaster but we are so badly run I could actually see it happen.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not a very good one if he managed Liverpool. He knows all about “loyalty”
Solskjaer grew up supporting Liverpool. Carragher was an Evertonian. Nicky Butt was a City fan.

Means nothing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Reading a Tony Evans article about Rodgers' failed stint at Liverpool to refresh my memory as to what exactly went wrong there.

I'd forgotten about that Rodgers spiel before they played us. Good times.

From the same article, some insight into Rodgers' hand in their transfer issues at the time (though in fairness they made bad decisions that extended beyond him too):

Key point being the last one, I think. It's fine to say that Liverpool squad wasn't very good and that they struggled to replace the likes of Suarez, but Rodgers himself played a big role in those transfer issues. And insofar as he has had any control over transfers at Leicester since his arrival, it hasn't exactly been a non-stop parade of hits either. The majority of the quality players in his current side are ones he inherited.
Yeah, sums it up. Again, so surprised to see some are open to the idea. Misplaced extraordinary self-belief and an absolute lack of self awareness.

hurricane thunderclap

We just get the best manager we can and someone who wants it. Not a caretaker, not an interim nor an ex legendary player.
If we want the best then we go after him and get him. The owners finally understood that the fans have a voice (European league) you snooze you lose ( countless transfer targets) quality comes at a price (sancho) poor football people costs you (maguire,fred).
Ten , van der sar, de ligt and off we go.
Oh, and tell Woodward to deck off with his consultancy service.

Wheato

Mario Pochettino Managerial honours

Coupe de France: 2020–21

Eric Ten Hag Managerial honours
Ralph Rangnick Managerial honours

VfB Stuttgart
Hannover 96
Schalke 04
Brendan Rodgers Managerial honours

Swansea City
Celtic
Leicester City

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The FA cup hasn't been a serious cup since the 90s and the Scottish league is the pits. I bet even Championship clubs can go there and win the treble. How many times had Rodgers bottled 4th place? Do you trust a manager who was 5 points clear of winning the league title with 3 games to play and he still managed to bottling it? What is his record in Europe? Do you know that he bottled it in the CL group. He also lost to Besiktas, Lincoln Red Imps and Slavia Prague while managing Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester
Once again, you need to get better at using google.

Wheato

If we're signing someone who keeps Mates FC and the board happy then we might as well keep Ole. At least he is our own clown.

With Rodgers we're signing someone whom while better in terms of tactics is also a renowned bottler and. He's also very old school. At Liverpool he clashed with Edwards because he introduced data analysis in transfers thus stopping him signing legends like Bony, Ashley Williams and Bertrand.
Last season he won a trophy, beating Chelsea (European Champions) in the final. They didn't bottle it. They won. Beat them in the Charity Shield as well. Then prettymuch wiped the floor with us a few weeks back. And knocked us out of the FA cup as well.

10 years has passed since he joined Liverpool. Do you think he has not learned anything in the last decade?

LJJT

Solskjaer grew up supporting Liverpool. Carragher was an Evertonian. Nicky Butt was a City fan.

Means nothing.
Beg to differ. OGS spent most of his playing career at united. Same for JC at LFC. We all make mistakes as children. Same forgiveness doesn’t apply to adults

Last edited:

devilish

Last season he won a trophy, beating Chelsea (European Champions) in the final. They didn't bottle it. They won. Beat them in the Charity Shield as well. Then prettymuch wiped the floor with us a few weeks back. And knocked us out of the FA cup as well.

10 years has passed since he joined Liverpool. Do you think he has not learned anything in the last decade?
The FA cup and Charity shield....serious trophies from a serious manager. He also won trebles in the Scottish league as well. Impressive.

How did he fare in Europe btw or in getting to top 4? Cause that is what matters for a club like ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.