• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

The arguments against Rodgers are still far more convincing than the ones for him.

I believe if United gets Rodgers and Leicester Potter, they are coming out of that with the much better deal.

croadyman

Rodgers being a realistic option for United at the minute is stuff out of nightmares IMO. I would literally rather keep Solskjaer for 2 more years while we look for a proper replacement.
Ole still being here stinking up the joint for more games is giving me much bigger nightmares

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think rogers has the tactics. I think it is more of question can he command respect. It fell off a cliff his last season with Pool and they nearly won the season before except for "the slip". It has fallen of the wagons as well this season with Leicster.

I think tactically wise he sound, but even if we hired him we probablye get a max three years out of him. I dont think he commands respect like Pep does.

Andersonson

Why is this even discussed? Rodgers won't get anywhere near this club.

Many posters on here are raving on about 'dropping standards' but hiring Rodgers is a good idea?

Just to repeat something from earlier just because Leicester missed out on top 4 does not mean Rogers/they bottled it. They're competing with much bigger/better squads and facilities that over 38 games that is going to tell when it comes to fatigue, injuries etc. It's a lot easier if you have 22 internationals to call on or can buy a Bruno Fernandes in January. If Moyes' West Ham fall away it doesn't mean he bottled it. If a league was over 19 games you'd have a bigger variety of winners but over 38 the extra resources and bigger squads make a difference.
Absolutely. A lot of people have made this point but it seems like it still gets drowned out in all the noise about Leicester being bottlers. Same goes for Liverpool in 2013/14: as I posted earlier, they were 6th-favorites to win the title going into that season.

It's also the same argument people leveled against Pochettino at Tottenham in 2015/16 and 16/17. Overperforming for 90% of the season and not being able to see it through is not the same as "bottling it" - that applies when you're expected to achieve something and you don't. For example, us in the Europa final, or the path we took to fall into the Europa League in the first place.

I'd rather have Ten Hag (sure most of us would) but a lot of the criticism of Rodgers in this thread is over-the-top. It's fine to not like the guy because he's a bit of a tit and he managed the Scousers - he's still clearly a very good manager.

stw2022

Many posters on here are raving on about 'dropping standards' but hiring Rodgers is a good idea?
'Drop in standards' is a bullshit starting point from fans deluding themselves that Ferguson left five minutes ago.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Absolutely. A lot of people have made this point but it seems like it still gets drowned out in all the noise about Leicester being bottlers. Same goes for Liverpool in 2013/14: as I posted earlier, they were 6th-favorites to win the title going into that season.

It's also the same argument people leveled against Pochettino at Tottenham in 2015/16 and 16/17. Overperforming for 90% of the season and not being able to see it through is not the same as "bottling it" - that applies when you're expected to achieve something and you don't. For example, us in the Europa final, or the path we took to fall into the Europa League in the first place.

I'd rather have Ten Hag (sure most of us would) but a lot of the criticism of Rodgers in this thread is over-the-top. It's fine to not like the guy because he's a bit of a tit and he managed the Scousers - he's still clearly a very good manager.
A well written, nuanced post. I'd love Ten Hag. I'd have preferred Conte. But the reality is we don't have many options and the options we do have are definitely an upgrade on Ole.

stw2022

I don't buy this 'not many options' argument. If the aim is to get a competent manager or better manager then there are shedloads of options. Upgrading on Ole is surely the easiest choice the club could make - throw a dart at a list of the top 40 candidates and wherever it lands you've succeeded. The question is whether we need the ideal manager. I don't think being that precious is a luxury we have right now.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Just to repeat something from earlier just because Leicester missed out on top 4 does not mean Rogers/they bottled it. They're competing with much bigger/better squads and facilities that over 38 games that is going to tell when it comes to fatigue, injuries etc. It's a lot easier if you have 22 internationals to call on or can buy a Bruno Fernandes in January. If Moyes' West Ham fall away it doesn't mean he bottled it. If a league was over 19 games you'd have a bigger variety of winners but over 38 the extra resources and bigger squads make a difference.
And I will repeat again, the fact that Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and even Liverpool last year underachieved dont make Rodgers and Leicesters overachievers.

Pearl's a minger

I'm certainly not Rodgers biggest fan but for people to say that certain player's won't take instructions from him and they would more than likely down tools tells me more about these players more so than Rodgers. It's almost as if people expect us to have some decorated ex pro who slipped seamlessly into the management side of things when upon retiring begging to join us. The only card we hold is money.we need to accept we may need to take a punt on a lesser known/decorated manager because as a club that's where we are at the moment.

red4ever 79

Wouldnt be so sure. More and more reports coming out now that we are in discussions that he has a release clause. I wouldnt be surprised

Wheato

The Glazers do not understand football. They have no sense of the tribalism that comes with it. Their NFL franchise could move from Tampa and end up across the country in Santa Fe. That's normal for them. The attachment and regionalism that accompanies English (and European) football is alien to them. The embarrassment that will come if Rodgers leads Man Utd to defeat at Anfield, and the Kop starts singing about 'Agent Brendan,' won't even have occurred to them.

Honestly, if we appoint Rodgers I'll actually feel sorry for him. In his first press conference the media will ask him if he thinks he can win over the United fans given his Liverpool history. From there the pressure will just grow. Solskjaer has had his taste of the ABU media. However, for the most part he's been shielded because he's a club legend. The media knows that there will always be a large contingent of fans who, even now, will never get nasty about Ole. So they don't lean into him as much as they could. That won't be the case with Rodgers. Whenever there's a bad result they'll be on him and the Liverpool fans will too. Playing it up, bantering United fans. Unless he comes in and goes on an insane winning streak he'll be eaten alive by the media.

I keep seeing people talk about Busby. When Busby became United manager players were still being transferred directly between United and Liverpool. The rivalry had not grown to the point its at now. You can't just magic away decades of the rivalry getting deeper, more intense and less civilised. Are people going to suddenly forget Liverpool fans trying to turn over Alan Smith's ambulance or something, just cos the rivalry wasn't as fierce in the 40s?
Liverpool fans didn't actually want Rodgers in the beginning, because he is a lifelong Manchester United fan. He look over their club in similar circumstances, from a former club legend who was floundering. He took a very average Liverpool side to within a slip of winning the PL.

He is not regarded as a legend by Liverpool fans, they sacked him when Klopp became available.

I think Rodgers would love to have another crack with a CL club and bring Liverpool down a peg or two.

For me he is a no brainer. He knows this league, he knows how to set up a team, he improves players, he makes quality signings, he promotes youth and most of all he plays attractive attacking football. With our squad and resources we are 50% there already, we just need someone to tie it all together.

If he wants it, and lets face it, not many of the other favourites are willing to leave their current clubs, then we should get him in ASAP. He is a massive upgrade on Ole and his 'learning on the job' coaches.

Xanther

I don't think there's any convincing of even Rodgers, if all he's going to be is an interim. Why leave Leicester for an 8-month stint? Only to be left looking for another club

Ixion

And I will repeat again, the fact that Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and even Liverpool last year underachieved dont make Rodgers and Leicesters overachievers.
Do Leicester have the 4th best squad in the league? Do Leicester have the 4th highest wage bill? Did they spend the 4th highest on transfers? Do they have the 4th biggest stadium/attendance? Are they literally in the top 4 in the League in any quantifiable measurement?

If no then yes they are overachieving whenever they are fighting for top 4.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Liverpool fans didn't actually want Rodgers in the beginning, because he is a lifelong Manchester United fan. He look over their club in similar circumstances, from a former club legend who was floundering. He took a very average Liverpool side to within a slip of winning the PL.

He is not regarded as a legend by Liverpool fans, they sacked him when Klopp became available.

I think Rodgers would love to have another crack with a CL club and bring Liverpool down a peg or two.

For me he is a no brainer. He knows this league, he knows how to set up a team, he improves players, he makes quality signings, he promotes youth and most of all he plays attractive attacking football. With our squad and resources we are 50% there already, we just need someone to tie it all together.

If he wants it, and lets face it, not many of the other favourites are willing to leave their current clubs, then we should get him in ASAP. He is a massive upgrade on Ole and his 'learning on the job' coaches.
Yea i would concur with this.

My only worry is that it goes downhill fast.

I would still take Ten Hag first, but Rodgers isnt a bad option.

Castia

Plays attractive attacking football at least, seriously when was the last time we played attacking football within an actual system and style? Won a cup with Leicester and challenges for a top 4 spot with that squad, he’s a good manager.

red4ever 79

Plays attractive attacking football at least, seriously when was the last time we played attacking football within an actual system and style? Won a cup with Leicester and challenges for a top 4 spot with that squad, he’s a good manager.
He is a good manager of course. At least he has some tactical nous and his team plays a decent style. If he comes hopefully he brings Ndidi with him. Swap deal for McFred

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

He's not the worst option for sure. He'd definitely make the shortlist of 10 for us possibly even 5.

However I do think there were three clear options better than him in Zidane, Ten Hag and Conte. Now obviously down to two and with other names like Potter, Favre, Valverde, Pochettino potentially in the mix.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So we're replacing Ole with someone whose currently managing a team who is 6 positions below us? Someone who keeps bottling 4th place?

Zoo

He's improved night and day since his Liverpool days where he nearly won the league.

Celtic under Rodgers were brilliant. The drop off since he left was staggering.

Leicester punch well above their weight. Quite a lot of Leicester fans on their forum Foxestalk seem to rate him as their best manager ever.
The worry would be that Leicester’s recruitment is consistently excellent and if he came to United who would be responsible for that.

Bwuk

The worry would be that Leicester’s recruitment is consistently excellent and if he came to United who would be responsible for that.
Our recruitment is rubbish anyway. We don’t play half the players we sign or completely over pay for players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He's not the worst option for sure. He'd definitely make the shortlist of 10 for us possibly even 5.

However I do think there were three clear options better than him in Zidane, Ten Hag and Conte. Now obviously down to two and with other names like Potter, Favre, Valverde, Pochettino potentially in the mix.
Zidane doesn't want to join and Conte is gone. Rodgers is better than Potter and Favre. Poch isn't available but even if he was, Rodgers might be a bit ahead.

Valverde is good but I don't think he speaks English.

432JuanMata

He's improved night and day since his Liverpool days where he nearly won the league.

Celtic under Rodgers were brilliant. The drop off since he left was staggering.

Leicester punch well above their weight. Quite a lot of Leicester fans on their forum Foxestalk seem to rate him as their best manager ever.
Another thing to mention is people that say Leicester are bad this season shows how well Rodgers has done as I would say it’s around there level.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Do Leicester have the 4th best squad in the league? Do Leicester have the 4th highest wage bill? Did they spend the 4th highest on transfers? Do they have the 4th biggest stadium/attendance? Are they literally in the top 4 in the League in any quantifiable measurement?

If no then yes they are overachieving whenever they are fighting for top 4.
Leaving out context, that might be true. But why would you? Yes, they did well compared to several of the teams in the top 6. But several of the top 6 teams performed below standard. 66 points does not look like a big achievement with Leicester budget. They have spent significantly more than West Ham and finished one point above them. 7 points above newly promoted Leeds.

The year before they took 62 points. Three more points than Wolves that same season. While Wolves had a wage bill of £97 mill, Leicester spent £157 mill on wages in 19/20.

So yes, they overachieved compared to Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea. But not compared to, say, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Burnley in 19/20. And obviously not West Ham, Leeds or Villa last year.

Overall, around 65 points should be expected. Where will they end up this year? Around 55?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Zidane doesn't want to join and Conte is gone. Rodgers is better than Potter and Favre. Poch isn't available but even if he was, Rodgers might be a bit ahead.

Valverde is good but I don't think he speaks English.
Yeah so probably around 4th /5th option to start with and bumped up a couple spots due to circumstances. I still haven't given up on Zidane personally.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Having done some research I do think it is a bit unfair to say Leicester City have bottled 4th the last couple of seasons, but I am very confident in my belief that Brendan Rodgers is in fact cursed when it comes to the last 5 games of the EPL season.
It seems to have started in his last full season at Liverpool. Where he had:
LWDLL

It then continues at Leicester

DLWLL
DLWLL
LDWLD

He cannot win more than 1 of his last 5 games in this league.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Are you asking me to prevent me from disagreeing?

But no, I genuinely don’t know. His football feels like a mix of Mourinho and OGS. He does not play possession football or high press. His teams often play with low intensity compared to Simeone, Conte, Klopp etc. But he is not a low block type of coach either. But his football feels more reactice than proactive.

Maybe something about pragmatic football developing young players?
So you do know?

Wheato

If Ten Hag and Poch don't want it now, why should we have to wait for them? We're like a teenager who has been stood up at the cinema. "Oh, I don't want to date you now, I'll see how I feel in the summer!"

No fupping way.

Give it to someone who wants the job right now, and who is willing to sacrifice their current position to come here and take on a team that they have always wanted to be part of. If Rodgers is willing to gamble it all for a shot at United, then that's the sort of commitment we need.

Imagine what we will be like with a proper manager. He knows this league, he knows how to set up a team, he improves players, he makes quality signings, he promotes youth and most of all he plays attractive attacking football.

He is the real deal.

devilish

If Ten Hag and Poch don't want it now, why should we have to wait for them? We're like a teenager who has been stood up at the cinema. "Oh, I don't want to date you now, I'll see how I feel in the summer!"

No fupping way.

Give it to someone who wants the job right now, and who is willing to sacrifice their current position to come here and take on a team that they have always wanted to be part of. If Rodgers is willing to gamble it all for a shot at United, then that's the sort of commitment we need.

Imagine what we will be like with a proper manager. He knows this league, he knows how to set up a team, he improves players, he makes quality signings, he promotes youth and most of all he plays attractive attacking football.

He is the real deal.
He seems such a great manager so why hasn't he won anything? Why he keeps bottling almost everything?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The Rodgers hype seems to be based on some idea that City have him earmarked as their Pep replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if City had thrown that to journos for the giggles.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Having done some research I do think it is a bit unfair to say Leicester City have bottled 4th the last couple of seasons, but I am very confident in my belief that Brendan Rodgers is in fact cursed when it comes to the last 5 games of the EPL season.
It seems to have started in his last full season at Liverpool. Where he had:
LWDLL

It then continues at Leicester

DLWLL
DLWLL
LDWLD

He cannot win more than 1 of his last 5 games in this league.
That won't be a problem. He will have us mathematically safe by game 33.

devilish

The Rodgers hype seems to be based on some idea that City have him earmarked as their Pep replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if City had thrown that to journos for the giggles.
The same City who left 'the battlefield 'defeated' while we were busy celebrating the Sanchez and Maguire deals. I wonder if they leak these transfer rumors knowing that our idiot board would fall for it.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I look forward to the following quotes after we lose:

“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us. They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I look forward to the following quotes after we lose:

“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us. They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful."
You’ll be waiting a while. Have you seen Sunderland til I die?

Although I reckon I’d be delighted to hear manager referring to everyone talking about how good we’ve been all season. When could that last happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.