• No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Did you watch the video in the OP?
Ten Hag turned Ajax's fortune around when he joined them. Nobody expected them to compete, but in the first season he only finished 4 points behind the league leaders despite Ajax being a similar position to us. He's won the league ever since.

He also transformed Ajax into a team that could take on Europe's best in under 1 year. This notion that he will need 50 years to make us competent is nonsense.
This is not quite true.

The club was already building towards a certain style of play and the nucleus of the team that was first successful under Ten Hag was already in place before Ten Hag was hired. Ten Hag adapts his style to the style Ajax want to play and the the Ajax board set out the transfer & youth policy. The club is run by footballing people.

thescore

Supports
Chelsea
This would be the most worrying appointment from a rival point of view, I think he has enough to step up and build something at united especially with the squad they have. Think its about balance and fit and this would be a very good appointment on that basis.

At least with Conte he will struggle to claw back the title from this position this year and we all know what happens second season...

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Nope, he's not good enough.

Now is not the time for trying. feck the next appointment up and Ronaldo will be finished and Pogba will feck off. With this squad we need a manager we can be sure will work right here and now.
Ronaldo is 36 and we'll all be better off when Pogba fecks off.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People deal with idealistic dream scenarios too often. Let's be realistic - we are not Ajax. Our structure is unlikely to be dramatically changed above manager level. We need a manager to come in and deal with the existing board, existing structure in place and essentially be successful despite this. That's not impossible but leaves room for error. You can't just bring Ten Hag in and hope he can coach the shit out of us and he becomes Pep 2.0 but with our structure. That's not happening. There's such a big risk of failure with someone like him, because there are just so many unknowns as to how his role with Ajax would actually compare at United, or how he could translate that success to the premier league and a club like United. Ten Hag to me is nothing but a pipe dream that we suddenly decide to change our entire structure to something like what Bayern has. Good luck with that.

A more realistic scenario is just focusing in getting a manager who can deal with the current structure and get the best out of the team. It's not the impossible of a task tbh. You get to be one of the highest spending clubs year after year, you get to have one of the highest wage budgets around, you have a lot of say in transfer targets. Win a trophy and you might get a 10 year contract. That to me points to Antonio Conte being the guy best suited for us in the real world, not the dream world where Van der Sar or someone comes here and our entire business model is restructured into something that actually works in making us like a Bayern. You have a group of great players with financial backing to improve it, and you have to make them perform relative to their wage budget essentially. Don't even need to punch above your weight. Just kinda meet expectations according to the money being spent.

MUFC OK

Conte suits what we’ve currently got more than Ten Haag. The latter is another 3 year project before we can judge...

Caesar2290

Does this sound like another 3 year project to you?

Conte doesn't suit our squad at all. We don't have his preferred CF in Lukaku, we don't have his wingbacks and we're also going to need a couple of CMs. He'll also saddle us with "veterans" that are going to be stuck on our wage bill while ignoring the large amounts of talented youth. Conte will be another disaster long term.

And for once looks like our board tends to see things in a similar light.

Spoony

The People's President
Cruyff changed the footballing philosophy of Barcelona. City had an holistic approach. It's so frustrating we're not willing to do this. We're competing against financial behemoths...we need a different approach or else it's always going to be rinse and repeat. The game has become so technical and we're well behind.

RORY65

Conte suits what we’ve currently got more than Ten Haag. The latter is another 3 year project before we can judge...
I'm not sure either of them perfectly suit our squad because it's not balanced but I would think Ten Hag's playing style might suit more of them.

The Solskjaer thing has only been framed as a 3 year project because he's nowhere near good enough, just keep delaying the date at which we can judge him and then 3 years into it he's panic buying a 36 year old striker which just further proves what a nonsense the whole thing was/is.

Ten Hag took Ajax to a Champions League semi final in less than 18 months, he would be starting off with much greater resources here and if he could get a handle on the squad, which I believe wouldn't be an issue if his coaching methods are as good as they seem, then he could get us there in the next couple of years.

ti vu

Is this our guy then? We have an incredible squad now and you get 90m a year to spend plus the only way is up - I’d be astounded if he turned it down.
There is more to it than just what you listed.

For example, we were in no worse position than Liverpool when Klopp chose them, and he himself confirming we did approach him then. Woodward feck up by trying to sell Klopp the club as adult's Disneyland. There is element of vision involved here, especially for long term manager, like Klopp. Ten Hag may fit the long term profile, too? The way Woodward conducts himself, with all kind of swings, it feels like it's more attractive to short term managers from the outlook of things.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
There is more to it than just what you listed.

For example, we were in no worse position than Liverpool when Klopp chose them, and he himself confirming we did approach him then. Woodward feck up by trying to sell Klopp the club as adult's Disneyland. There is element of vision involved here, especially for long term manager, like Klopp. Ten Hag may fit the long term profile, too? The way Woodward conducts himself, with all kind of swings, it feels like it's more attractive to short term managers.
I agree about the woodmeister but that’s not correct. We approached klopp mid-season when he had a job at Dortmund. Liverpool did it when he’d left. Entirely different scenarios.

MUFC OK

I'm not sure either of them perfectly suit our squad because it's not balanced but I would think Ten Hag's playing style might suit more of them.

The Solskjaer thing has only been framed as a 3 year project because he's nowhere near good enough, just keep delaying the date at which we can judge him and then 3 years into it he's panic buying a 36 year old striker which just further proves what a nonsense the whole thing was/is.

Ten Hag took Ajax to a Champions League semi final in less than 18 months, he would be starting off with much greater resources here and if he could get a handle on the squad, which I believe wouldn't be an issue if his coaching methods are as good as they seem, then he could get us there in the next couple of years.
He’d need his staff, probably Overmars who he works closely with and then would have to implement his ideas.

It’s a complete myth that his style would suit this group based on evidence to date. He plays a high pressing game which we clearly have never coherently worked on. Ten Haag would try to deliver what Ole originally branded his football as, but what we’ve seen no evidence of in 3 years.

It will be a huge task to translate those ideas in my opinion. Id rather go Conte who has more authority and has managed in England before.

MattofManchester

I have wanted him at the club for a long time now, but I'm gonna be realistic and admit that we're probably going to end up with Pochettino next season.

ti vu

I agree about the woodmeister but that’s not correct. We approached klopp mid-season when he had a job at Dortmund. Liverpool did it when he’d left. Entirely different scenarios.
I am aware of the timing. The underlying point is that Klopp was not hard pressed to join Liverpool. They didn't have money (as much as other jobs offer). Their squad after Suarez departure was meh. Their fans were on protest against the owners... He didn't join because what they were at the time.

Whoever their negotiator was, did his job to convince Klopp to their project. And Klopp likes that vision enough, rather than waiting for a big ready to go job becoming available.

Back to Ten Hag, if he requires something with the same kind of convincing vision like Klopp did, and as he's still in a good stable job at Ajax, it's unlikely for him to quit and jump the ship midseason.

Last edited:

DarkXaero

I would be shocked if we actually get Ten Hag. It seems far too good and sensible of an option for it to happen, and given our track record, we'll likely settle for Conte eventually. My thinking is that we should sack Ole now, appoint a caretaker manager for the rest of the season, and appoint Ten Hag in the summer. But it will not happen.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I would be shocked if we actually get Ten Hag. It seems far too good and sensible of an option for it to happen, and given our track record, we'll likely settle for Conte eventually. My thinking is that we should sack Ole now, appoint a caretaker manager for the rest of the season, and appoint Ten Hag in the summer. But it will not happen.
I’ll be relieved if we get Conte. There are far worse decisions that the board is fully capable of making.

RORY65

He’d need his staff, probably Overmars who he works closely with and then would have to implement his ideas.

It’s a complete myth that his style would suit this group based on evidence to date. He plays a high pressing game which we clearly have never coherently worked on. Ten Haag would try to deliver what Ole originally branded his football as, but what we’ve seen no evidence of in 3 years.

It will be a huge task to translate those ideas in my opinion. Id rather go Conte who has more authority and has managed in England before.
Ole's not a coach, he said he wanted to implement that because he knew it was what fans wanted to hear but had no intention of doing so, largely because he had no clue of how. Thinking Conte is the right choice is completely fair enough, of all the options he'd probably give us the best chance of winning a major trophy in the next couple of years, but all of the points you've made about Ten Hag (bringing in his own staff, the players not having worked on his style - they haven't worked on any style, needing some signings) apply to any manager and to use the fact that Ole hasn't been able to implement a style in 3 years as evidence that someone else couldn't is nonsense.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Conte is an excellent coach so I'd be very comfortable with that decision. One of the biggest things our team needs is someone to coach them to defend as a team, whether that is to press or to drop and contain. Then also how to attack and progress the ball up the pitch. Conte has shown time and time again to be a very good coach with that. And he'd have a very good squad to do it with.

House Mkhitaryan

Just give this guy whatever he wants and get him in asap. Put yourself in his spot... as clueless as owners/management are, it could actually be a dream scenario for a competent manager?
  • The squad is loaded with talent with potential to improve without a rebuild
  • Ownership willing to spend on players
  • Ownership unwilling to sack (giving him every chance to succeed)
  • Virtually guaranteed lucrative extension no matter performance
  • Little chance of ownership meddling in player selection, tactics, etc.
  • If he turns it around, be hailed as a hero to the largest fan base on earth
  • Nearly 100% backing and support by matchday fans, ex-players, etc.
If Ten Hag is the great manager most seem to think he is, he'll be an absolute legend if he comes here. It's all set up for him. As poorly as we've been run, I am absolutely convinced that a competent, progressive, driven manager can turn the whole club around and in a short amount of time, too.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I don't think he would want to come here, he has no reason to tbh. Him and Ajax are doing very well together at home and in Europe too.

He has a good project there and it won't happen easily. Plus he's in his home country close to his family and friends so hippy days. I love the football he impresses at Ajax, but it cannot have been only his doing. The club have a famed Ajax philosophy which he went back to playing..

Furthermore I don't think it will appeal to him to go to a club where the fans want their manager sacked after a string of poor results.. The external pressure on the manager at this club is insane!.

Caesar2290

Zidane has already ruled out his interest so i have no idea why he’s in the alleged list. Don’t think he has a clue here
Here is what happened: Our board contacted all 4 managers. The list came out. They gave them the answers. Then everyone started briefing. Conte was eager. Zidane not so much. Complete radio silence on both Ten Hag and Rodgers.

At the same time news came out that the Glazers are looking for a long term appointment. Most likely Ten Hag is #1 priority based on that info. Hence why the board decided to back Ole despite Conte being available.There aren't any available caretakers right now.

Most likely we'll wait for the end of the season before making the appointment. As things stand, all the limited evidence point us to Ten Hag as he ticks all the boxes.

I'm serious; you're going to deserve a cake of some sort, should things turn out well. Pretty safe bet that the Glazers had no idea who Ten Hag was before the poll thread.
I'm hoping we have people in our club who are browsing CAF to gage the fan opinion. You have free polls, opinions etc etc Imagine opening up a thread with Antonio Conte and seeing that most people don't want him here. And then opening the one about Ten Hag(Ten who?) and seeing that 90%+ are for him. Also looking that right now he is doing amazingly well in the CL. Should be a no brainer really.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't think he would want to come here, he has no reason to tbh. Him and Ajax are doing very well together at home and in Europe too.

He has a good project there and it won't happen easily. Plus he's in his home country close to his family and friends so hippy days. I love the football he impresses at Ajax, but it cannot have been only his doing. The club have a famed Ajax philosophy which he went back to playing..

Furthermore I don't think it will appeal to him to go to a club where the fans want their manager sacked after a string of poor results.. The external pressure on the manager at this club is insane!.
We’ve got enough of that as it is, we’re Vibes FC!

croadyman

Yeah that's what I would like to happen as well provided it wasn't a Utd legend or Carrick/Mckenna either

Caesar2290

Don't worry, he can handle the pressure ;)

hungrywing

Here is what happened: Our board contacted all 4 managers. The list came out. They gave them the answers. Then everyone started briefing. Conte was eager. Zidane not so much. Complete radio silence on both Ten Hag and Rodgers.

At the same time news came out that the Glazers are looking for a long term appointment. Most likely Ten Hag is #1 priority based on that info. Hence why the board decided to back Ole despite Conte being available.There aren't any available caretakers right now.

Most likely we'll wait for the end of the season before making the appointment. As things stand, all the limited evidence point us to Ten Hag as he ticks all the boxes.

I'm hoping we have people in our club who are browsing CAF to gage the fan opinion. You have free polls, opinions etc etc Imagine opening up a thread with Antonio Conte and seeing that most people don't want him here. And then opening the one about Ten Hag(Ten who?) and seeing that 90%+ are for him. Also looking that right now he is doing amazingly well in the CL. Should be a no brainer really.
I'm not going to ask you what kind of cake you like, because that would be a serious jinx, but put some thought into it and have a few answers ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.