• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-mal

He won’t leave before the World Cup which is bizarrely scheduled well into next season.
If he wont leave for an opportunity to manage Manutd and compete with the likes of Pep and Klopp in epl then we should evaluate how big of a draw we are.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ajax reached Champions League semifinals in 2018-2019 after knocking out Real Madrid and Juventus and were seconds away from reaching the final, really. If you are talking about levels, what Ten Hag is able to do with the players he has and what we are doing with the much bigger stars.... are you even being serious here?!

Ten Hag is 100x a manager Ole will ever be, but this debate is pointless because he is not coming to United. It's just our fantasies. End of story
What are you on about?

Man United‘s job has higher pressure than Ajax. I never compare Ten Hag to Ole, you drunk boy.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Should we not have taken SAF because he only managed Aberdeen?
You don’t know what the argument was so why are you jumping into conclusion and making assumption?

He is a manager with system but has flexibility to fit any different type of players to make sure the players and the system can go along together. Almost like Klopp's flexibility and probably more suitable than Conte based on that logic. For example, he might be able to find a way to fit Bissaka to his system while Conte probably won't be able to fit Bissaka to his system. I would.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
PSV have not always been behind Ajax, that's simply not true. For starters, PSV have won more league titles (9) than Ajax (8) in the 2000s.
I was talking about financial they are behind Ajax and just like other clubs in ligue 1 behind PSG. Therefore, it’s only common that they must win and be dominant locally. In contrast to Man United, we have Chelsea and Man city now.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Lets be honest. Ajax is probably the perfect situation for him. I’m not convinced his tactics and philosophy would translate to us. They play the same way whoever the manager is.
No they don't, completely untrue. Football under de Boer was very different to Bosz, and Bosz is different to Ten Hag.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Hate to break it to you, but Ajax have the exact same expectations. Except it's every season. And they also lose their best players every year.

This notion that Ten Hag isn't under pressure at Ajax and will be under immense pressure here is flawed. He's always expected to win the title. And so far he's done a very good job at it. If he moves here the only thing that is going to happen is the pressure is simply going to increase by 5-10% maybe.
Sorry to break it to you but I never say Ten Hag isn't under pressure at Ajax and will be under immense pressure here. So, clearly you don’t know what my point was.

My point was that Man United job is not less pressure than Ajax job, in fact it is higher pressure than Ajax job. It’s fact! You can’t deny that!

It has nothing to do with Ten Hag cannot handle United’s pressure or no because I never say that. In fact, it’s good to have manager who had experienced of Ajax’s pressure in comparison to (let’s say) Spurs’s or Southampton’s pressure before coming to much bigger pressure at Man United.

Are going to leave out the part where Chelsea had a transfer embargo in the previous seson? Or the part where Chelsea funds a lot of it's transfers via player sales? Or the part that a huge chunk of that money is the 125 million Hazard money?
Is it going to change my point that Chelsea already had squad with quality that won EL and finished 3rd with 72 points right before the ban started? And they even spent 58m on that window to buy Pulisic.

You reminds me of those man city fans who are not accepting the fact that Pep came in to man city inherited squad that already good enough to win PL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yep, I’d be gutted if he ends up at City as Pep’s successor or even at Barca once they manage to get funds together to sack Koeman.
Ten Hag just doesn't fit the manager this board looks for. They stumbled on Ole but generally they go for the biggest name available.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
No they don't, completely untrue. Football under de Boer was very different to Bosz, and Bosz is different to Ten Hag.
What would you say Ten Hag's weaknesses are as a manager? What are his strengths?

Also I know you cannot see the future - but what makes you think he can win a title vs managers like Tuchel, Pep and Klopp?

Thanks in advance.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
What would you say Ten Hag's weaknesses are as a manager? What are his strengths?

Also I know you cannot see the future - but what makes you think he can win a title vs managers like Tuchel, Pep and Klopp?

Thanks in advance.
I think he only has minor weaknesses.

I think he can be quite stubborn at times, and puts maybe excessive faith in some players but so far it has always paid out in the end.

He is not the most charismatic or eloquent manager but I don't find it an issue, he's still very likable and innocent somehow.

The machine doesnt work all the time. There have been some periods were Ajax werent playing as well but the same is true for Pep, Klopp, Tuchel.

His way of football, is very exciting, very balsy, but at times maybe defensively naive whilst his side doesnt concede a lot of goals. Think of matches vs Spurs/Atalanta, were we should have killed off the game. However Spurs were honestly amazing that game.

Reason why I think he would be able to challenge them, I don't think tactically he is much inferior to them. They have shown it at at higher levels granted, but Ajax in the CL with far inferior players has just been amazing also against a (weakened) Liverpool were I felt Ajax were unlucky.

The guy is a complete football freak in the type of Guardiola and is only busy with improving, coaching, learning. He could win the CL final and then look at the EL winner's matches in order to win the super cup.

Ajax is the richest club in Holland, but since van Gaal, no one has been able to get Ajax to win domestically, with such good football and be a force in Europe at the same time. Not Bosz, not de Boer, not Martin Jol, not van Basten.

He has great understanding of the game and is very insightful. I understand he would have more credit if he were to also show it in a higher league, but people seem to fail to understand that there are gems in terms of managers/players in lower leagues too. Funnily enough, those same people are the fervent supporters of Ole sometimes which makes no sense to me.

Lebo

Heard good things about him but why are we not going for Luis Enrique?
If Ten Hang isn’t available then I would support this appointment. As long as it’s not Conte or Zidane

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@E-mal

Enrique likes the Spanish national team job and won't likely move before he gets a chance at another tournament.

Suv666

Tactically he is up there with the best no doubt about it. But managing a top club is so much more. Will he able to manage the big egos? Will he able to handle the constant media scrutiny? Will he get on with our problematic board? What happens if we doesn't get the signing he wants or if he makes a big money signing and he flops? Or if the class of 92 start taking potshots at him how will he react?
We have a squad which is ready to challenge at this point in time. With Conte you know what you're going to get but there are so many unknowns when it comes Ten Haag. If he flops it would be a massive disaster and set up back half a decade.

Dr Pavel

I wonder of the 1000 people who voted yes, how many have seen his team play other than a few CL games. What does this guy know about managing Ronaldo and Pogba and Varane? What does he know about managing one of the biggest clubs in the world? In the biggest league in the world?

RedAlert27

Pogba cannot play the De Jong role perfectly. Deadly short and longe range passing? A lot of the time his passing is more deadly for us and leads to the opposition scoring! I think the problem we have is we don't really have a decent CM/CDM and no matter who the next manager is, they will need at least 2 new ones.

Danish Wizard

Conte would be gone in max two years as well.
Have to be ten Hag. He has the style and quality to succeed.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Henry Winter in his Times column concluded that United's 'obvious choice' for the role should be Erik Ten Hag, in his opinion.

shabz

I've gone back and watched Ajax games from this season.

MY ANALYSIS

4 3 3 with a high pressing nature, no natural number 10, so Bruno would have to play a little deeper than he has under Ole, I don't think that's a bad thing as he'll be able to analyse the game better and make more educated passes.

Full backs have to work really hard helping out the wide players, whether to double up or overlap. I think AWB suffers in this scenario and we may need a new top RB sooner rather than later. It would also mean that we need our attackers to be really disciplined and constantly be hugging the touchline, maybe Sancho is the only player we have that can do fulfill this role as of this moment as Rashford/Greenwood/Martial like to roam around the pitch. Ronaldo/Greenwood/Cavani as front men would need to press and be backed up by the team, and all are class acts so I dont think they will find it hard to adapt to a system that all their teammates have taken on board.

Donny/Pogba/Fred/Mctominay/Matic - 2 out of these would have to make the midfield trio complete with Bruno surely taking one of the spots. It would mean having someone sitting in front of the defenders and making clean/precise passes to start of moves and also reading the game well enough to make those vital interceptions. As it stands I think only Matic fits that DM role, which would mean a the other CM spot would be up for grabs. The system also means ball retention is highly necessary along with a lot of asking for the ball and making yourself available throught the system as the defined spaces created by the system mean you are always on for the pass. I think Donny will no doubt love this, and Pogba may not be able to be as free as he would like.

Defensively, we have to be compact and first to most challenges, our defenders have been rotten so far this season and definitely need to approach the game much better than they have. Maybe a system where everyone contributes to defence and attack will help our current woes. Although I'm not sure who would be first choice under Ten Hag as he likes ball playing CBs.

I think he could improve the team a lot, although his style will take time to implement and we may not have the perfect pieces for his jigsaw as of yet which would require more windows and more time. But his promotion of youth along with his defined, attacking football style. I think he could be a great fit.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The difference between United and Ajax is that on the footballing side of things, Ajax have a very clear dot on the horizon on how they want to play and what type of players they want to produce or acquire irrespective of the manager. So I’m not sure how a coach like Ten Hag would fit in as manager at United as they way things stand.

Ixion

We either become a club like Chelsea and get these managers that stick around for a year or two and we get ruthless replacing them or we take a gamble on a promising manager like Ten Hag and give them a few years and hope they make the step up. I don't consider Moyes and Ole gambles in the same way as they were both picked for sentimental reasons rather than stand-out CVs.

Caesar2290

We either become a club like Chelsea and get these managers that stick around for a year or two and we get ruthless replacing them or we take a gamble on a promising manager like Ten Hag and give them a few years and hope they make the step up. I don't consider Moyes and Ole gambles in the same way as they were both picked for sentimental reasons rather than stand-out CVs.
Considering how inept our board is, we are forced into the second scenario, aren't we?

yamo123x

I wonder of the 1000 people who voted yes, how many have seen his team play other than a few CL games. What does this guy know about managing Ronaldo and Pogba and Varane? What does he know about managing one of the biggest clubs in the world? In the biggest league in the world?
Can ole manage these big players though?

The clamour for Ten Haag is based on his style of attacking entertaining football, developmental integration of youth players and growing reputation in the game, but like Nagelsman in that sense.

We have tried some of the biggest and most successful managers the world has seen and all have fell short for one reason or another , why not try a lesser known name but someone who has a style of play that Ole doesn't.

Dr Pavel

Can ole manage these big players though?
Nope, he's not good enough.
The clamour for Ten Haag is based on his style of attacking entertaining football, developmental integration of youth players and growing reputation in the game, but like Nagelsman in that sense.

We have tried some of the biggest and most successful managers the world has seen and all have fell short for one reason or another , why not try a lesser known name but someone who has a style of play that Ole doesn't.
Now is not the time for trying. feck the next appointment up and Ronaldo will be finished and Pogba will feck off. With this squad we need a manager we can be sure will work right here and now.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He's the number 1 choice for me.

Would be very excited if we managed to take him from Ajax, but I can't imagine it would be easy, or cheap.

I can see our board opting for a bigger name like Conte if we do actually end up replacing Ole.

Caesar2290

Now is not the time for trying. feck the next appointment up and Ronaldo will be finished and Pogba will feck off. With this squad we need a manager we can be sure will work right here and now.
Did you watch the video in the OP?
Ten Hag turned Ajax's fortune around when he joined them. Nobody expected them to compete, but in the first season he only finished 4 points behind the league leaders despite Ajax being a similar position to us. He's won the league ever since.

He also transformed Ajax into a team that could take on Europe's best in under 1 year. This notion that he will need 50 years to make us competent is nonsense.

Dr Pavel

Did you watch the video in the OP?
Ten Hag turned Ajax's fortune around when he joined them. Nobody expected them to compete, but in the first season he only finished 4 points behind the league leaders despite Ajax being a similar position to us. He's won the league ever since.

He also transformed Ajax into a team that could take on Europe's best in under 1 year. This notion that he will need 50 years to make us competent is nonsense.
Ajax is not Manchester. Talking about what he did in the Netherlands is like talking about what Ole did in Norway. He never managed players like Ronaldo and Varane. He never managed against managers like Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel (a couple games in the CL don't mean anything, Ole also won a few games against those 3). He never has the eyes of the whole world on him demanding him to win. He has 0 business being here.

Caesar2290

Ajax is not Manchester. Talking about what he did in the Netherlands is like talking about what Ole did in Norway. He never managed players like Ronaldo and Varane. He never managed against managers like Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel (a couple games in the CL don't mean anything, Ole also won a few games against those 3). He never has the eyes of the whole world on him demanding him to win. He has 0 business being here.
Barca and Bayern disagree with you mate, but to each his own. By this logic SAF was never good enough because he managed in Scotland.

Dr Pavel

Barca and Bayern disagree with you mate, but to each his own. By this logic SAF was never good enough because he managed in Scotland.
What do Barca and Bayern have to do with anything? They want to appoint him? They're not Manchester either. Very different clubs with very different circumstances.
And this is 2021 not 1986. If a 40 year old Ferguson was around today he wouldn't be appointed either.

Caesar2290

What do Barca and Bayern have to do with anything? They want to appoint him? They're not Manchester either. Very different clubs with very different circumstances.
And this is 2021 not 1986. If a 40 year old Ferguson was around today he wouldn't be appointed either.
You're right. Managers over there are actually expected to win straight away. They're fans are literally going to be on your back if you play boring football. So if those 2 clubs decided that he's good enough for them, then he's good enough for Man Utd.

It's also called taking a chance. If he fails, you sack him and move on. If he succeeds I see him doing a Klopp here. Way better than someone like Conte who will guranteed feck off in 2 years or sooner because the board have failed to sign his desired target.

gajender

We have the mildest and the most passive bunch of supporters in the world , I guess you haven't been following United Since Sir Alex retired ,we have endured Some of most boring football, highly unimaginative and barely functional football without supporters ever losing patience with the managers and on top of that managers here seem to get unlimited patience along with hefty transfer budget to go along with that . I would even argue United's managers job is least pressured job compared to other clubs with similar standings where expectations are minimal .
As far your point about calibre of players he would need to manage here that should not be problem as long as he is able to display that his vision would bring success to them . And the point of competing against the managerial powerhouses like Guardiola and Klopp and Tuchel well that would be first for any manager we bring whether it's Conte , Zidane or Ten Haag. .

Dr Pavel

You're right. Managers over there are actually expected to win straight away. They're fans are literally going to be on your back if you play boring football. So if those 2 clubs decided that he's good enough for them, then he's good enough for Man Utd.
They also thought Kovac and Valverde was good enough for them too.
I repeat, very different clubs with very different circumstances.
It's also called taking a chance. If he fails, you sack him and move on. If he succeeds I see him doing a Klopp here. Way better than someone like Conte who will guranteed feck off in 2 years or sooner because the board have failed to sign his desired target.
Who cares what happens 2 year from now kek? We need to compete NOW.
If Conte or whoever fails, we should sack them too. Someone like Conte is just much more likely to get this team to compete than this guy.

Dr Pavel

We have the mildest and the most passive bunch of supporters in the world , I guess you haven't been following United Since Sir Alex retired ,we have endured Some of most boring football, highly unimaginative and barely functional football without supporters ever losing patience with the managers and on top of that managers here seem to get unlimited patience along with hefty transfer budget to go along with that . I would even argue United's managers job is least pressured job compared to other clubs with similar standings where expectations is minimal .
Pressure doesn't just come from the fans in the stand. It comes from the press, from social media, from within himself knowing he's managing the best of the best. Just because the fans in the stand don't boo or don't wreck his car doesn't mean managing Manchester is less pressure than managing Ajax.
As far your point about calibre of players he would needs to manage here that should not be problem as long as he is able to display that his vision would bring success to them . And the point of competing against the managerial powerhouses like Guardiola and Klopp and Tuchel well that would be first for any manager we bring whether it's Conte , Zidane or Ten Haag .
Kek vision. Every manager has vision. I also have vision. Vision don't mean anything.
Conte competed agaisnt Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho when he was at Chelsea. Zidane competed agaisnt the best of the best in the CL and won 3. What are you talking about?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's the number 1 choice for me.

Would be very excited if we managed to take him from Ajax, but I can't imagine it would be easy, or cheap.

I can see our board opting for a bigger name like Conte if we do actually end up replacing Ole.
His contract is until 2023, so we'll have to pay out the last year of his contract, if it came down to it.

Mcking

Most just want him because he is the flavour of the month, and his reputation is being inflated because people are always attracted to the unknown.

For a Manchester United manager, name and personality goes a long way. This man has all the charisma of an egg. I can already imagine the headlines when things aren't going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.