• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winrar

I feel like that away record has ended up cursing us by keeping him in the job longer than he should have been. A bit like how the PSG win ended up hurting us in the long run.
Fully agree on that one.

Had a lingering doubtful feeling after Ole was given a permanent role emotionally based on the win at PSG as well, and the rest is history.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Ten Hag is currently getting a lot out of Sebastian Haller up top. West Ham fans will tell you he is/was an absolute carthorse for them.
The current Ajax squad is full of so-called PL rejects.. Truth is at Ajax we appreciate and ask for different qualities than how many PL coaches want to play..

Blind
Tadic
Berghuis
Haller
Klaassen

EtH

The current Ajax squad is full of so-called PL rejects.. Truth is at Ajax we appreciate and ask for different qualities than how many PL coaches want to play..

Blind
Tadic
Berghuis
Haller
Klaassen
This is true but that is largely down to the level of the Eridivisie. Were Ten Hag to take over United I imagine he would be building a team similar to his first successful Ajax side rather than this iteration.

Which is a large part of the lure of him as a manager. His adaptability.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
This is true but that is largely down to the level of the Eridivisie. Were Ten Hag to take over United I imagine he would be building a team similar to his first successful Ajax side rather than this iteration.

Which is a large part of the lure of him as a manager. His adaptability.
The Eredivisie can obviously not be compared to the CL, but the thing is that in the way Ajax plays they also excel against top opponents in the Champions League/Europa League right..

@BrilliantOrange
Any credibility to the Newcastle links? :nervous:
No reports on this so far in Dutch media..

RickD

We already took the risk with Ole who don't have any fancy record as coaching a team. Why you worry about Ten Hag ability who have been with Ajax in the semi-final of CL (the team has no 450m to buy quality players on paper)?
It's not that I'm worried about the appointment of Ten Hag if it was to happen. In fact, I've come to the view it is probably the right time to replace Ole.

My question was more directed at how smooth any transition might be to Ten Hag's style.

Can we expect an immediate turnaround like Chelsea have had with Tuchel or would it be a longer process? Will our players be a hindrance for him or are they already a good fit? For example, it was mentioned several times last night that we have one of the lower average distances covered as a team in the league this season. That doesn't seem a good fit with Ten Hag's press which other posters have alluded to. Does that mean he'd need more time/new players to get the best out of our squad
?

If Ten Hag is the right man for the job (and lets assume he is), we have a squad which should be competing but when could he have us playing at a level where we seriously in contention for the big prizes? Would a different appointment (I have no idea who) get us there sooner?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I though the manager of Manchester United said that trophies is for egos?
I considered that statement a reason to sack him. For me personally that was the day where I was sure Ole has to be fired, as it proved he is mentally not top club material. Surprised me a lot as I expected him to have that mentality from his players days, until that I had a good impression.

Caesar2290

No reports on this so far in Dutch media..
I think it's just the English media trying to spin A+B=C scenario. Newcastle are in talks with Overmars, and the media is implying that if Overmars gets the job then by extension so will Ten Hag. Personally I think Ten Hag would go for a bigger club. At the end of the season Barca is going to go for him. Hopefully so will we.

yipthatman

I would take Doris the tea lady as caretaker going forward until we find someone more capable to be honest. Any of the top managers would be an upgrade.

King_Cantona07

Overmars will become DoF at newcastle and Ten Haag will be lured into newcastle with a promising project, while United board stand behind less than average Ole with incompetance. Calling it now.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I have to say one thing that impresses me is that (on paper, at least) an attack of Haller, Berghuis, and Tadic looks pretty imbalanced in the sense of a real lack of penetrative speed and movement in behind, but it somehow seems to be really working. Signs of an impressive manager with a well run system. Am I off the mark there or not? @Ajax fans
True.

Ixion

Eventually we will need to appoint someone like this for long term success. Van Gaal and Mourinho were attempts for immediate success and Ole is a nostalgia appointment but down the line we need to find someone that isn't quite yet a superstar name but is proving themselves and needs to take a step up. I suppose we wanted that with Moyes but identifying him was not all things being equal but rather because he's Scottish.

King_Cantona07

This is the direction we need to head, a tactically strong manager who can guide the talent / potential we have. 100% sure we wont do this though, knowing the board.

Foxbatt

But this incompetent Board is not going to act and get him. It's not the Board but the si called DFO and that lot. They should be on Woodwards back 24 hours to get Ten Hag.

King_Cantona07

But this incompetent Board is not going to act and get him. It's not the Board but the si called DFO and that lot. They should be on Woodwards back 24 hours to get Ten Hag.
And who do we have in those positions? Glazer men who is part of the failure all these years promoted from within and Fletcher who hasnt done such a role before getting the United position. Most of the management and coaching roles are the United boys filled in who are either incompetant or is learning on the job.

Godfather

Get him and take his whole backroom staff with him. I don't want anyone currently employed by United on the football front to last any longer.

JohnnyLaw

So let’s say the board decides ETH is the man to take over from Ole. Assuming he won’t leave Ajax mid-season, what would be the preferred solution in the meantime?

I was tempted by the idea of bringing in Blanc on an interim basis but I assumed he was out of a job. Surely we can’t have another club legend, a Rooney for example, come in and clouding the issue.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Going to be annoying when someone else snaps him up, nothings guaranteed, but on paper, this guys ideal for us.

RedDevilRoshi

Going to be annoying when someone else snaps him up, nothings guaranteed, but on paper, this guys ideal for us.
Yep, I’d be gutted if he ends up at City as Pep’s successor or even at Barca once they manage to get funds together to sack Koeman.

pascell

It couldn't be anymore blatantly obvious that he would be a great choice to have as manager, unfortunately, our board will miss this and he'll end up at Barca next summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's a top manager but I'm not 100% sure he's the right choice for right now, or if he'd leave Ajax anyway at the moment. We have a squad to win now, Ten Hag might/probably will need some adaptation time to both the club and league, and would need time to coach his system in. Conte and Zidane I think would be much more immediate differences, and for a squad where we have Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba etc all with limited time remaining at the club, that's what we need. Someone to think about this season, next season and the season after, and how much can we win in these 3 seasons. Who gives us the best chance at success given our squad?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He is but its highly unlikely he'll leave mid season. Maybe we can sign him now for next season and keep the contract under wrap until the season finishes. We'll need a caretaker till the end of the season.

croadyman

Yes he would absolutely be my top choice but if we can't get him until the end of the season what do we do until then and please don't suggest keeping Ole just for the sake of no interim options at all. Just for once I wish we would show some balls and pay what it takes to get him out of his contract NOW. My only worry is that he isn't a big enough personality to manage the likes of Pogba, Varane, Bruno, Ronny & Edi whereas Conte/Zidane command that respect already.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

Yes he would absolutely be my top choice but if we can't get him until the end of the season what do we do until then and please don't suggest keeping Ole just for the sake of no interim options at all. Just for once I wish we would show some balls and pay what it takes to get him out of his contract NOW. My only worry is that he isn't a big enough personality to manage the likes of Pogba, Varane, Bruno, Ronny & Edi whereas Conte/Zidane command that respect already.
Blanc maybe?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'd like to think any player would respect him for his tactical nous. His team of absolute bang average players just played Dortmund off the park and won 4-0. I think our players are quite respectable and bar 2 or 3 senior players, most haven't won major honours anyway to take that outlook.

croadyman

I'd like to think any player would respect him for his tactical nous. His team of absolute bang average players just played Dortmund off the park and won 4-0. I think our players are quite respectable and bar 2 or 3 senior players, most haven't won major honours anyway to take that outlook.
I totally agree but just wish we could go and get him now

Womp

idiot
No links to him at all, all links pointing to Conte

Can't pretend I'm not disappointed, but it was always obvious this board would go with the completely obvious option, they know no other way

RUCK4444

No links to him at all, all links pointing to Conte

Can't pretend I'm not disappointed, but it was always obvious this board would go with the completely obvious option, they know no other way
I genuinely wouldn’t expect these owners to understand the offside rule let alone who is the best manager out there to take us forward.

Womp

idiot
I genuinely wouldn’t expect these owners to understand the offside rule let alone who is the best manager out there to take us forward.
Yea, it's a shame too, as I do think Conte is a great manager, but I really think his team needs a good coach, someone to bring this club into the modern age.

Get the Ten Hag banners out! :D

crossy1686

career ending
Glad we're finally giving the Dutch league the recognition it deserves. Despite none of the players from there in recent years being able to make it in a more competitive league. This is fecking Jardim all over again...

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
His hiring would signal a new improved frontier for the club. Something already done at other clubs, the actual scouting of managers and not just this seemingly lazy get whoever is available.

Canuckred64

I hope we consider Ten Hag or even Rangnick, somebody who is a tactican instead of just going for the first big name that ones to mind like Conte or Zidane.

Status
Not open for further replies.