Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

Thanks man!
Don’t do it to yourself. You’ll probably come to the realisation he’s exactly what we need and you’d desperately want us to appoint him, only to watch him end up at Barca while we appoint someone like Southgate. Trust me ignorance is bliss on this one :lol:

Caesar2290

Sounds incredibly unlikely, but how fecking good would it feel if we saw Ole and Woodward both leave and Van Der Sar and Ten Hag join? United should throw money at it. You'd unite the whole fanbase, excitement, a clear focus on football from the top, United link with VDS but good business accumen, an exciting manager. That would put us back on the map.

The thing is, I genuinely think we could make this happen.
Tbh I think we are headed in this direction. I think our board is trying to emulate Bayern. Bayern's model is about ex-players in key positions. So far we've tried doing the same. Ole as our manager. Phelan, Carrick as coaches. Butt as head of the academy. Fletcher as a technical director.

Now that Woodward is stepping down and there were rumors that Arnold wasn't interested in becoming CEO, I think we might look to someone like VDS or someone of his ilk to take over.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Don’t do it to yourself. You’ll probably come to the realisation he’s exactly what we need and you’d desperately want us to appoint him, only to watch him end up at Barca while we appoint someone like Southgate. Trust me ignorance is bliss on this one :lol:
:lol: god I’m depressed now. I’m so gutted for Ole, really wish he got it to work but there’s no way back now.

red thru&thru

Tbh I think we are headed in this direction. I think our board is trying to emulate Bayern. Bayern's model is about ex-players in key positions. So far we've tried doing the same. Ole as our manager. Phelan, Carrick as coaches. Butt as head of the academy. Fletcher as a technical director.

Now that Woodward is stepping down and there were rumors that Arnold wasn't interested in becoming CEO, I think we might look to someone like VDS or someone of his ilk to take over.
Arnold not being interested? This is the first I've heard of this.

Any links you could share?

Kaos

Sounds incredibly unlikely, but how fecking good would it feel if we saw Ole and Woodward both leave and Van Der Sar and Ten Hag join? United should throw money at it. You'd unite the whole fanbase, excitement, a clear focus on football from the top, United link with VDS but good business accumen, an exciting manager. That would put us back on the map.

As wonderful as that sounds, it would never happen on account of who our owners are. Most of us consider Woodward a pretty miserable CEO who knows next to nothing about football, but we forget he’s a glazer man. That’s ultimately what it boils down to - the Glazers want their own cabal of ex bankers and yes men in there to help them siphon as much money as possible out of the club, they don’t want footballing people in there, nor do they remotely care about cultivating a footballing culture in and around the club.

Caesar2290

Arnold not being interested? This is the first I've heard of this.

Any links you could share?
Sadly I don't have it saved. But it was a twitter thread that popped up after United fans broke into OT. The implication was that Arnold seeing with what his boss had to deal with wasn't too keen on being CEO.

:lol: god I’m depressed now. I’m so gutted for Ole, really wish he got it to work but there’s no way back now.
@Kaos is right mate. The reason I created is thread is in the hopes that the higher ups get wind of him and hopefully consider him as our next manager. Wishful thinking, I know.

We all wanted Ole to succeed mate, but sadly reality showed us otherwise. That being said Ten Hag is the closest thing we have to a Man Utd DNA manager out there. Just look at first post in this tread. I break it down more in there.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Sadly I don't have it saved. But it was a twitter thread that popped up after United fans broke into OT. The implication was that Arnold seeing with what his boss had to deal with wasn't too keen on being CEO.

@Kaos is right mate. The reason I created is thread is in the hopes that the higher ups get wind of him and hopefully consider him as our next manager. Wishful thinking, I know.

We all wanted Ole to succeed mate, but sadly reality showed us otherwise. That being said Ten Hag is the closest thing we have to a Man Utd DNA manager out there. Just look at first post in this tread. I break it down more in there.
Thanks for taking the time, I’ll take a look.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
As wonderful as that sounds, it would never happen on account of who our owners are. Most of us consider Woodward a pretty miserable CEO who knows next to nothing about football, but we forget he’s a glazer man. That’s ultimately what it boils down to - the Glazers want their own cabal of ex bankers and yes men in there to help them siphon as much money as possible out of the club, they don’t want footballing people in there, nor do they remotely care about cultivating a footballing culture in and around the club.
Don't forget he is leaving anyway in a month or two. VDS would be a bloody good appointment for them, plus Ten Hag.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
We should buy-out the Ajax staff and give them the keys to the Jag

Unam333

It is time to move on and go for a managerial change. We should be at the peak of our powers, yet we are wasting the potential of our players. The only fear I have with the appointment of a manager like Ten Hag is: will the players get behind an inexperienced manager like him? There is alot of ego in our dressing room. All multimillionaires. How will he handle them?

Womp

idiot
It is time to move on and go for a managerial change. We should be at the peak of our powers, yet we are wasting the potential of our players. The only fear I have with the appointment of a manager like Ten Hag is: will the players get behind an inexperienced manager like him? There is alot of ego in our dressing room. All multimillionaires. How will he handle them?
He's dealt with players like Ziyech who is reportedly quite a difficult character. Also, the intention is they begin to see the fruits of his philosophy, which will bring them on board.

Caesar2290

I think you're worrying too much mate. If our players got behind a manager who was sacked at Cardiff for relegating them, they can get behind a manager who is playing very attractive football while being really good in the CL.

He has an elite mentality. Players like Ronaldo will love him, so will the rest of the squad.

RazorOz

Yes, but realistically the people making the decisions at Man Utd probably don't even know Ten Hag is. If Solskjaer is sacked soon it will be Conte or Zidane.

Caesar2290

Yes, but realistically the people making the decisions at Man Utd probably don't even know Ten Hag is. If Solskjaer is sacked soon it will be Conte or Zidane.
They knew who Rose was back when Mourinho got the sack, so it's not too bad.

davidmichael

I was with you up until you shoehorned Poch into the conversation
I think you have to include Pochettino in the conversation of top coaches in Europe although I don’t think he’s better than Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel or Ten Hag but I do think Pochettino is better than Conte.

littlepeasoup

We’ve tried mangers with past glories, romantic options, and whatever the hell Moyes was (some weird fever dream) so
going the route of hiring Europe’s next bright thing might not be the worst route. I dunno.
At least it’s a new option for us to fail at.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Those players will be benched then. I don't see anyone causing a problem apart from pogba. Ronaldo and Cavani themselves have a similar mentality which only leaves bruno and i dont think he's that sort of player.

RickD

I've not seen much of Ajax except for the odd CL game. Do we have a squad that Ten Hag could work with or would we be looking at completely different style of play that doesn't suit the present squad?

We don't seem to have a particular style at the moment, but could our players work in a Ten Hag system? Is the team too reliant on physical ability rather than technique for example?

I feel a lot of our issues over the last few years stem from jumping between managers with completely different philosophies/styles.

The last thing we probably need, given what we've already spent, is another complete rebuild. If there is one thing I think Ole can take credit for, its forming a far better squad than what he started with. I just feel we need someone to make it 'click' and take our play to the next level.

Reactions: Sultan

johanovic

I've not seen much of Ajax except for the odd CL game. Do we have a squad that Ten Hag could work with or would we be looking at completely different style of play that doesn't suit the present squad?

We don't seem to have a particular style at the moment, but could our players work in a Ten Hag system? Is the team too reliant on physical ability rather than technique for example?

I feel a lot of our issues over the last few years stem from jumping between managers with completely different philosophies/styles.

The last thing we probably need, given what we've already spent, is another complete rebuild. If there is one thing I think Ole can take credit for, its forming a far better squad than what he started with. I just feel we need someone to make it 'click' and take our play to the next level.
Perhaps you could tell me what style OGS is implementing? I can not anything in that respect and OGS is clueless. Ajax play a clear style under Ten Hag while we have a manager with no style at all.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He won't get hired because it would be too shrewd of a move for our board, but with him I think we'd play some devastating stuff going forward immediately.

If Ole gets the sack (wouldn't bet on it until at least the spring), I'd assume Zidane would be the board's preference.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

It's hard to know, as we'd have to be able to assess which of our players are fundamentally unable to perform better in such a system and which could actually respond to better coaching.

It's not just a matter of how technically accomplished a player is either. I mean Sebastian Haller isn't exactly the first person I'd think of as an extremely technical CF but he's Ajax's CF under Ten Hag. And in our own case you could look at someone like Chris Smalling, who despite being extremely limited on the ball nonetheless had his best spell at United playing in a possession based set-up under LVG. Sometimes players surprise you.

The most we can say is that Ten Hag has often used a 4-2-3-1 which is our current formation, we have one player with experience playing in his set-up in VDB and we likely have quite a lot of other players who would adapt to his set-up, as players are generally used to adapting for different managers' styles, because that's what being a professional footballer entails. Some wouldn't, but that would be the same with any manager we hire.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It bears repeating. Ten Hag does High Press. We have several very expensive player who show no sign of being able to press like that including DdG Pogba and Ronaldo. That's well over a million pound in weekly wages that Ten Hag would bench and our two biggest shirt sellers. Do you actually think the Glazers will countenance that? I don't. And I don't think Ten Hag would come without the assurance that he can reshape the squad to his style of play. Why would he piss away his reputation drinking the United poisoned chalice of a permanently unbalanced squad?

Yes you can idly speculate that any player can learn to press. But it's just not true. You cannot just wave away the underlying structural failings of the club and say it's all about a bad manager.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

While I agree that the chopping and changing the squad from manager to manager has been an insane business practice by United, I wouldn't see the problem with doing that one more time - provided that this time it's for the long term.

I mean, United clearly have not yet decided on any particular footballing style they want to play long term. (Style broadly defined; not something super specific. I am not aware of any sign of that at United.) You'd have to hope that a main concern of Murtough's is to make that decision - and then roll with it from now on for all coach and player recruitment (including in the academy). That doesn't have to be a Ten Hag-like style; but if it is and it requires a squad overhaul, then I think it's worth doing one more time to finally get settled for the long term.

But other posts in this thread have suggested that Ten Hag could have a lot of fun with the current squad. And as @sullydnl pointed out, you never know what players can adapt to.

In Rainbows

It bears repeating. Ten Hag does High Press. We have several very expensive player who show no sign of being able to press like that including DdG Pogba and Ronaldo. That's well over a million pound in weekly wages that Ten Hag would bench and our two biggest shirt sellers. Do you actually think the Glazers will countenance that? I don't. And I don't think Ten Hag would come without the assurance that he can reshape the squad to his style of play. Why would he piss away his reputation drinking the United poisoned chalice of a permanently unbalanced squad?

Yes you can idly speculate that any player can learn to press. But it's just not true. You cannot just wave away the underlying structural failings of the club and say it's all about a bad manager.
Players are more likely to buy into the press if they know it will pay off in the end (goals/assists). That comes with a coordinated press instructed by the manager. If there is no coordination, the press is meaningless. So yes, it's about the manager.

Foxbatt

I think you're worrying too much mate. If our players got behind a manager who was sacked at Cardiff for relegating them, they can get behind a manager who is playing very attractive football while being really good in the CL.

He has an elite mentality. Players like Ronaldo will love him, so will the rest of the squad.
So he has a huge ego? He is only looking at trophies.

RooneyLegend

All this talk about him not willing to come mid season, is he one to reject 60million over 3 years?

RooneyLegend

Dont forget Overmars.

ndkhoa2020

We already took the risk with Ole who don't have any fancy record as coaching a team. Why you worry about Ten Hag ability who have been with Ajax in the semi-final of CL (the team has no 450m to buy quality players on paper)?

RooneyLegend

Those players will be benched then. I don't see anyone causing a problem apart from pogba. Ronaldo and Cavani themselves have a similar mentality which only leaves bruno and i dont think he's that sort of player.
Why would Pogba cause a problem?

Nori-

The question at this point should be "Would Ten Hag take United?"

Doubt it

Kaos

Nah, 29 game unbeaten away record is more important than any trophy.

In fact, we should've had a trophy made for us just for that record.
I feel like that away record has ended up cursing us by keeping him in the job longer than he should have been. A bit like how the PSG win ended up hurting us in the long run.

RazorOz

Ten Hag is currently getting a lot out of Sebastian Haller up top. West Ham fans will tell you he is/was an absolute carthorse for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.