WSL 21/22 | Chelsea v United - 12:00 Sun 8th May

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So City beat Birmingham 6-0 on Wednesday night - relegating Birmingham and putting City in third place with a nice boost to their goal difference. Meanwhile Arsenal were beating Spurs 3-0. No surprises in how the table looks going into the final day then.

Sunday's matches then:
  • Aston Villa 12:00 Birmingham City
  • Brighton & Hove Albion 12:00 Everton
  • Chelsea 12:00 Manchester United
  • Reading 12:00 Manchester City
  • Tottenham Hotspur 12:00 Leicester City
  • West Ham United 12:00 Arsenal
I'll leave it to you to calculate the odds on who finishes where.

MUW4Eva

Soooooooooooooo nervous about this game.

Although the way we have been playing if late, I give us at best a 5% chance of winning, but a 0% chance of finishing 3rd, even with a win, as I just can't honestly see Reading doing anything against City.

So it will be sadly another season of "What if's".

What if we hadn't conceded soooo many late goals, what if we had our first choice CB pairing fit for the whole of the season (Millie & Mannion)??

So no matter what happens in this game, it will not be this result that is the reason why we will not be in the Champions League next season, it will be the other, mostly away results.

As for the team that Marc will pick, he is a manager that seemingly detests change, so I can see him sticking with the team that played very poorly against West Ham.

croadyman

Soooooooooooooo nervous about this game.

Although the way we have been playing if late, I give us at best a 5% chance of winning, but a 0% chance of finishing 3rd, even with a win, as I just can't honestly see Reading doing anything against City.

So it will be sadly another season of "What if's".

What if we hadn't conceded soooo many late goals, what if we had our first choice CB pairing fit for the whole of the season (Millie & Mannion)??

So no matter what happens in this game, it will not be this result that is the reason why we will not be in the Champions League next season, it will be the other, mostly away results.

As for the team that Marc will pick, he is a manager that seemingly detests change, so I can see him sticking with the team that played very poorly against West Ham.
Yeah so careless chucking away leads against Everton, Spurs, West Ham and that shocking draw with Villa recently. They had a rookie keeper in for crying out loud

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
If we fail to beat Chelsea, then this won't be the only reason we didn't make the Champions League, but it would highlight what I think the biggest challenge this team faces. So far this season we've failed to win any league games against the top 3. Three losses. Two draws from winning positions against 10. How can we expect to finish in the top 3 if we cannot beat any of those teams ahead of us?

We can point to the last minute equalisers we conceded against Spurs and West Ham, or the 0-0 against Villa, but overall our record against the rest of league is very good. And our record against the big 3 is very poor. Which is why we'll likely finish 4th again. And this has been consistent since we entered the WSL. And of course we shouldn't expect that a relatively new team can just step up and immediately challenge the best teams in the league, but at some point having ambitions to win trophies means we have to start showing we can beat them on the pitch and consistently get results. Any result we get against Chelsea might not be enough this season, but if we beat Chelsea that's a huge boost of confidence going into next season.

MUW4Eva

If we fail to beat Chelsea, then this won't be the only reason we didn't make the Champions League, but it would highlight what I think the biggest challenge this team faces. So far this season we've failed to win any league games against the top 3. Three losses. Two draws from winning positions against 10. How can we expect to finish in the top 3 if we cannot beat any of those teams ahead of us?

We can point to the last minute equalisers we conceded against Spurs and West Ham, or the 0-0 against Villa, but overall our record against the rest of league is very good. And our record against the big 3 is very poor. Which is why we'll likely finish 4th again. And this has been consistent since we entered the WSL. And of course we shouldn't expect that a relatively new team can just step up and immediately challenge the best teams in the league, but at some point having ambitions to win trophies means we have to start showing we can beat them on the pitch and consistently get results. Any result we get against Chelsea might not be enough this season, but if we beat Chelsea that's a huge boost of confidence going into next season.
I agree entirely, we have beaten Arsenal in the league, 1-0 at LSV, but generally, our record against the top 3 has been unbelievably poor.

I just believe that Skinner is the wrong manager, he is far too conservative, his mindset belongs at underdog sides, whereas we want to be, or should be trying ti be a top dog.

We desperately need someone who takes the shackles off of this side.
We need to be better away from home in general, we have been terrible this season.

We rely sooo much on out home form, it is like night and day.
We go to away games, almost scared of our opposition, just hopeful of getting something anything out of them.

The way we set up recently away to Villa was shockingly poor, no ambition, no threat to Villa, basically nothing at all.
Now compare that to how we did against then at home.

We are just sooooo timid away from home.

This desperately needs to change, not just against the big 3, but against everyone else.
I still have unbelievable nightmares of our last away non performance to Liverpool, so next season that just adds to this as well.

I just really worry that Marc doesn't have the ability or the desire to really change anything, he seems to be over the moon just picking up wins, any and all seem to make him happy, when not all wins are good wins.

MUW4Eva

Today is the day, hopefully we can perform better against them then we did at Leigh....

That shouldn't be too much to ask for ......should it??!!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
United take the lead through Thomas. Great delivery and header.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
First time I'm watching United. They're playing some really good football.

brian017

Ugh. That late West Ham equaliser and failing to beat Villa is all the more infuriating now.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Would be awesome if you could get something vs Chelsea... :o

sebsheep

1 - 1 Cuthbert. Good strike but we were slow getting to the knock down.

cj_sparky

Quite a poor goal from our point of view, Russo didn't react to Cuthbert's run and Zelem seemed slow to get out.

We'd started really well before that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Very good goal that. Cuthbert has been so reliable for us.

sebsheep

Difficult shot to take on as well. Deflected but a deserved 2nd for United.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
West Ham don't look like they're going to help us today, so we either win the title ourselves today or we don't.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
West Ham don't look like they're going to help us today, so we either win the title ourselves today or we don't.
Looking better than our hopes of Reading doing us a favour.

cj_sparky

Really good first half performance, loved the reaction after Chelsea's equalizer.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Fantastic first half so far. Switched off for the equaliser but other than that we've controlled the game very well. Chelsea seem to be feeling the pressure as they're not playing good at all.

Looks like it won't mean anything for us getting into the CL, but if we can keep this up in the second half it would be an incredible result nevertheless.

Nero

Someone really should have told the Utd goalkeeper you're allowed to use your hands.

cj_sparky

Nice goal for Chelsea, Thomas left us exposed with her wayward pass.

sebsheep

Think we may have been poking the bear. :lol: