WSL 21/22 | City v United - 12:30 on Sun 13 Feb

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Live on BBC2 and FAPlayer

If Friday's draw between Chelsea and Arsenal left you thinking, "if only we'd beat Arsenal" then be in no doubt, the derby is a huge game for us. In the hunt for top 3, we are in the driving seat but we still have Chelsea away to play so dropping points to anyone but especially a top three rival would be damaging.

croadyman

Live on BBC2 and FAPlayer

If Friday's draw between Chelsea and Arsenal left you thinking, "if only we'd beat Arsenal" then be in no doubt, the derby is a huge game for us. In the hunt for top 3, we are in the driving seat but we still have Chelsea away to play so dropping points to anyone but especially a top three rival would be damaging.

Would be a brilliant point because still think Spurs hopes will fade as City are the biggest threat to finishing third

lsd

The Oracle
Certainly similar to the men's game at present as United cannot get near the City players.

City should be well clear by now

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's not sticking up top, ball keeps coming back.
City will get one soon.

ForeverRed1

City all over us... hopefully if we get in the champions league next season it can attract some of the biggest players. We’re still a tier below at the present moment.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
We've been lucky that City's final ball/finishing has been poor today. They've had the ball, the positions and the space all game really.

Alex Greenwood comes out worse in a clash of heads with Katie Zelem. I'm surprised to see her come back on - I hope she's ok.

El Zoido

Great finish but really showcases how difficult it is for goalkeepers in the womens league. A 6ft 4 goalkeeper would probably have had that.

Lightbringer

If you are pushed back by City, dont do a fancy goalkick like Thorisdottir did which lead to the goal, just hammer it away as far as possible. OK, it was shocking from the midfielders as well, but the way this game was going just get the ball as far away from our goal as possible.

Lightbringer

Well, now we must win all remaining games including Chelsea away in the last game, thats what its going to take to get the 3rd spot. This City oil team wont drop points. Only reason we are in front are because City had 10 players injured and out with covid at the start of the season. I am not going to hold on to any hope City will drop points, they simply wont. Fecking feck, I am so pissed off!

Lightbringer

And yet again we have Skinner waiting forever with substitutions despite us looking knackered and City dominating. If you are getting outplayed, make sure to have fresh legs on the pitch. Why not take Zelem off for Groenen after 65 minutes and bring on fresh legs? Zelem looked dead before the Weir goal.

Weir is one the best players I´ve seen, she is always so dominant against us!

kundalini

We were woeful. Gave the ball away continually. Made clearances when we could have played out. Lost virtually every challenge. Stood motionless while City stole possession.

Hard to think of a starting outfield player that put in even an average performance. Zelem and Ladd were just terrible, Boe Risa even worse. Signe Bruun offered nothing.

Lovely goal by Caroline Weir.

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

And yet again we have Skinner waiting forever with substitutions despite us looking knackered and City dominating. If you are getting outplayed, make sure to have fresh legs on the pitch. Why not take Zelem off for Groenen after 65 minutes and bring on fresh legs? Zelem looked dead before the Weir goal.
she lost the ball and just jogged back which gave weir all the space for the goal. If she had of been at her, that goal doesn’t happen. Does skinner not fancy groenen then? Seems weird she can’t get a game.

ForeverRed1

We were woeful. Gave the ball away continually. Made clearances when we could have played out. Lost virtually every challenge. Stood motionless while City stole possession.

Hard to think of an outfield player that put in even an average performance.
We looked scared of them tbh.

Lightbringer

she lost the ball and just jogged back which gave weir all the space for the goal. If she had of been at her, that goal doesn’t happen. Does skinner not fancy groenen then? Seems weird she can’t get a game.
Yep, Zelem is not strong 1 on 1 and shes tiring as the game goes on, which Skinner should have seen and its not the first time. Groenens new contract must be a bit weird as she is on the bench all the time. Exactly the type of player needed if just holding on for dear life as the runs her socks off covering ground. Zelem offers nothing in that sense. I am just baffled there is no subs for repeat games when we are getting dominated.

Lightbringer

Maybe I should put a sock in my mouth but its darn frustrating getting close but not cigar all the time, City have the better team but we almost stole the vital point we needed. So giving away that goal to Arenal last game is going to cost us.

croadyman

It’s taken 80 minutes and a goal for our players to actually have a go.
Yeah we got what we deserved for trying to just play for a draw despite what Skinner said. Had a feeling this tactic was going to backfire on us.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
We knew it would be a tough match, especially with both our first choice centre backs out. It didn't feel like we adapted to that at all really. Big gaps between defence and midfield, and no obvious allowance made to keep control of the wings. One of those moments when I'd like to have seen us show a bit more tactical flair.

In terms of performances, no one came out of it looking good, but some had more excuse than others. Katie Zelem remains what she's been since we got promoted - a real mix of good and bad. Ladd didn't give us as much as she normally does - but maybe she was being expected to do too much. Certainly between them, we lacked the basis for the control that we needed to protect the defence and keep the ball.

Frustrating game and for once the stats told the truth. They had the ball, we didn't have any answers. Even so, we almost got away with it. We lost to a well taken goal (after getting cheaply dispossessed in midfield) and we came close on the break. I again found myself looking at Skinner regarding tactics and subs - which may be harsh given he's been manager of the month twice in the past two months :smirk:

croadyman

We knew it would be a tough match, especially with both our first choice centre backs out. It didn't feel like we adapted to that at all really. Big gaps between defence and midfield, and no obvious allowance made to keep control of the wings. One of those moments when I'd like to have seen us show a bit more tactical flair.

In terms of performances, no one came out of it looking good, but some had more excuse than others. Katie Zelem remains what she's been since we got promoted - a real mix of good and bad. Ladd didn't give us as much as she normally does - but maybe she was being expected to do too much. Certainly between them, we lacked the basis for the control that we needed to protect the defence and keep the ball.

Frustrating game and for once the stats told the truth. They had the ball, we didn't have any answers. Even so, we almost got away with it. We lost to a well taken goal (after getting cheaply dispossessed in midfield) and we came close on the break. I again found myself looking at Skinner regarding tactics and subs - which may be harsh given he's been manager of the month twice in the past two months :smirk:
Personally feel like we have closed the gap on that top 3, however yesterday showed there is still some way to go yet in order to really compete