WSL 21/22 | United v Everton - 12:30 Sun 27 March - at Old Trafford

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
United women's first match at Old Trafford with fans. You can see a little bit of history then and it'll be "Live on Sky" in the UK and on FAPlayer for most other countries. Hopefully Old Trafford will be alive as well - though I haven't seen much active advertising from the club, so I'm not expecting to see WSL attendance records broken.

So why is it on Mother's Day? Mostly coincidence - it's internationals weekend for the men and England play on the Saturday. Why Everton and not someone juicy like City? I can come up with several explanations, but I'll go with coincidence again.

Tickets are £6, £3 for U16 and 65+ and it's that rarity at Old Trafford - a match that you can take your family to, and as there are currently enough tickets on sale that you can choose your seats, you can all sit together or put some of them far apart if you prefer it that way :smirk:
https://tickets.manutd.com/en-GB/categories/womens

On the other hand you could try winning some hospitality tickets instead:

Lightbringer

If my club Hammarby in sweden can gather 18 000 for a womens game special, Manchester United should be able to get 30 000 at least - IF THE CLUB WOULD ACTUALLY CARE! United have endless amount of PR people, use them to promote the womens team and this game especially. I have no idea why they are not using the resources available to them.

If they dont know how to do it, they are welcome to visit Hammarby and learn how the grow the womens teams fanbase etc. Other clubs have been here to visit.

Its utterly frustrating that the womens team are being treated as a second thought, when the potential is enormous with the United fanbase. But the club still has to work for it!

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
If my club Hammarby in sweden can gather 17 000 for a womens game special, Manchester United should be able to get 30 000 at least - IF THE CLUB WOULD ACTUALLY CARE! United have endless amount of PR people, use them to promote the womens team and this game especially. I have no idea why they are not using the resources available to them.

If they dont know how to do it, they are welcome to visit Hammarby and learn how the grow the womens teams fanbase etc. Other clubs have been here to visit.

Its utterly frustrating that the womens team are being treated as a second thought, when the potential is enormous with the United fanbase. But the club still has to work for it!

They're using the mailing lists to send out ticket links etc - though I'm not sure which of United's many mailing lists are seeing it. They/Adidas have done some new photoshoot stuff with the women. And as I've posted, Old Trafford has got new hoardings up. Incidentally, they've been using images of the women's team players alongside the men on those OT placards all season which has been great to see, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair to the club.

I'm just conscious to the fact that there seems to be no social media push from United. The main @ManUtd twitter account still seems too scared to mention the women's team - presumably because of some of the obnoxious responses from their more neanderthal readers to past posts.

@manutdwomen now has 282k followers, which is good, but when you're talking about building the fanbase - it's not the 30m+ of United, and we need to be reaching more of them, in particular the fans who've never been to a women's match and the families who wouldn't normally be able to go to a game together at OT. I think they've managed one tweet in the past week on the subject. I know United fans are all feeling a bit grim right now, but that's not a good enough excuse for the club's marketing guys not to try.

Elpidios

Just received an e-mail from the club, tickets for this game are free with the promo code below:

PROMOCODE:​
2122MUWOFFEREVERTON​

Reactions: jojojo

Elpidios

Interesting - are you a season ticket holder?
I am not a season ticket holder, just a regular free member on the site, I think they're literally giving away tickets now to boost crowd numbers and exposure to the women's game, I would go if I didn't live so far away.

MUW4Eva

I can't wait for this game, it should be unbelievably amazing, reportedly over 25, 000 tickets have been sold, wow!!!

A bit different from the usual number that is at LSV!

I can only hope that a good percentage of this 25,000 do decide to turn up to LSV more often after this Everton game, just the thought of more fans, say an average of 5,000 would be crazy!!!

What are people's feelings ahead of this game?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
What are people's feelings ahead of this game?
I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it'll be one of those days when we put on a show. We've been a bit erratic at times this season and injuries mean we're exposed at CB against some teams. I'm hoping that Everton will play nice and let us enjoy the party though :D

I'll be there with some of the family but three of us are women's team season ticket holders (one of the trio started watching United at the time of the Busby babes and has had a men's team ST for decades!) the others were there when the women played City at the Etihad a couple of years back. I'm hoping some of the real newbies to women's football will get a taste for it, and we will see them at LSV.

Meanwhile bring us your U16s and you can come for free! Though even if you can't borrow an U16 for the occasion even the full price tickets are only £6 - same as when we play at Leigh.

Lightbringer

The club has stepped it, fair play :devil: Using the main account gradually is the right move.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The club has stepped it, fair play :devil: Using the main account gradually is the right move.

They've been using retweets from the men this week. I admit it's a tough one. There's a lot of anger towards the club and the performance of the men's team, so social media is pretty toxic right now. Maybe they deliberately pushed the content to late this week to avoid the Atletico fallout.

The frustration though is that we're now so close to matchday that it's going to be hard to really boost that crowd. It's Mother's Day on Sunday - a lot of family gatherings will have been planned. That knocks out a significant target audience for Sunday's match. It's nice to see we're doing it though.

Plus, I'll admit OT looks good all dressed up in the sunshine.

decorativeed

They've been using retweets from the men this week. I admit it's a tough one. There's a lot of anger towards the club and the performance of the men's team, so social media is pretty toxic right now. Maybe they deliberately pushed the content to late this week to avoid the Atletico fallout.

The frustration though is that we're now so close to matchday that it's going to be hard to really boost that crowd. It's Mother's Day on Sunday - a lot of family gatherings will have been planned. That knocks out a significant target audience for Sunday's match. It's nice to see we're doing it though.

Plus, I'll admit OT looks good all dressed up in the sunshine.
Is the group you are going with all women? My wife has been doing a project speaking to women who have been supporting United between the 1950s and 2000, which she's enjoying, but says that very few (if any) of these have any interest in the women's team at all, and are only interested in the men's first team. In essence, much like most male supporters!

MUW4Eva

Brilliant news to know that you and some of your family will be coming to this game!

As a long time women's season ticket holder (I was there at the very first game away to Liverpool in the Conti Cup at Prenton Park!), I am really happy to see soo many people that are coming to this game.

Hopefully this will give them a taste of what it is like to watch the team, and as many as possible will want to come to more matches, at LSV, and to away games, that would be excellent!!

My dream is to see a full LSV for a game, or may be two (if I am allowed to be greedy!), that would be unbelievable, if that were to ever happen, I think that I might just cry with the emotions of it all.

As for this game, with City having beat them 4-0, we really, REALLY need to win by at least that margin, as their remaining games will allow for them to improve their GD significantly, I think another 20 goals without reply wouldn't shock me.

So, we have to win all of our remaining games, including that fateful one, away to Chelsea, which with them most likely needed to also win that game, to win the league, might just be one step too far for us, hopefully not, but they will definitely not be taking it easy be any means against us in that game.

That is for a different day's discussion, for now, lets just fully enjoy what will hopefully be a really fun day, and one that hopefully will be the springboard for many more happy days to come, both at Old Trafford, and at LSV!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Is the group you are going with all women? My wife has been doing a project speaking to women who have been supporting United between the 1950s and 2000, which she's enjoying, but says that very few (if any) of these have any interest in the women's team at all, and are only interested in the men's first team. In essence, much like most male supporters!
I think that's probably true. I've been going to watch the men since the 70s but watching United Women away (which turned out to be mostly our U18 team) in a friendly just before our first season in the Championship was the first time I'd watched a Women's match, other than on TV. I was almost nervous about going - what if the other fans knew I was a complete women's game novice, what if I didn't like it and decided I wanted to leave :D

The first "surprise" was I reacted to them the same as I've always reacted to the men's team - standing up to applaud them onto the pitch, jumping up when they scored. The other, lasting surprise and pleasure, was how much better women's football has got in the past decade.

The Busby Babe watcher joined me one day when I went to Leigh and after a few minutes of adaptation started shouting at the defenders to get it down the wing - actually to Leah Galton. Basically once he got past the initial "look at all those ponytails" stage, he decided it was just another United match. Currently he'd rather watch the Women or the Youth team than the men's first team - he likes the women's attitudes as well.

The other women's season ticket holder is a woman, but I don't think she's ever been to a pro men's match, certainly not to United. We're going to OT as a family group - three men, three women.

So yeah, me and the other men's team ST holder were sceptical, but got converted after our first game. I don't suggest that's typical in any way, but I do reckon these setpiece events - where it's held at the main stadium which makes it seem a bit more normal - can act as an icebreaker.

decorativeed

I think that's probably true. I've been going to watch the men since the 70s but watching United Women away (which turned out to be mostly our U18 team) in a friendly just before our first season in the Championship was the first time I'd watched a Women's match, other than on TV. I was almost nervous about going - what if the other fans knew I was a complete women's team novice, what if I didn't like it and decided I wanted to leave :D

The first "surprise" was I reacted to them the same as I've always reacted to the men's team - standing up to applaud them onto the pitch, jumping up when they scored. The other, lasting surprise and pleasure, was how much better women's football has got in the past decade.

The Busby Babe watcher joined me one day when I went to Leigh and after a few minutes of adaptation started shouting at the defenders to get it down the wing - actually to Leah Galton. Basically once he got past the initial "look at all those ponytails" stage, he decided it was just another United match. Currently he'd rather watch the Women or the Youth team than the men's first team - he likes the women's attitudes as well.

The other women's season ticket holder is a woman, but I don't think she's ever been to a pro men's match, certainly not to United. We're going to OT as a family group - three men, three women.

So yeah, me and the other men's team ST holder were sceptical, but got converted after our first game. I don't suggest that's typical in any way, but I do reckon these setpiece events - where it's held at the main stadium which makes it seem a bit more normal - can act as an icebreaker.
Interesting. I'll DM you about the project.

MUW4Eva

That is a such a shame if true, why would they have no interest in watching their fellow women play for United, I don't see why that would be the case, surely the opportunity to do so, should be embraced?

I love nothing more than watching the women's team, now I might be a male, but I have seen plenty of other females, older than myself, and I am nearly in my my 40's.

It would be great if this game at Old Trafford could convince them to give the women's team a try, and I don't see why they wouldn't be hooked if they did.

decorativeed

That is a such a shame if true, why would they have no interest in watching their fellow women play for United, I don't see why that would be the case, surely the opportunity to do so, should be embraced?

I love nothing more than watching the women's team, now I might be a male, but I have seen plenty of other females, older than myself, and I am nearly in my my 40's.

It would be great if this game at Old Trafford could convince them to give the women's team a try, and I don't see why they wouldn't be hooked if they did.
I agree, it makes no sense to me either. Especially given the women's team have been more successful than the men's since they were formed.

MUW4Eva

I agree, it makes no sense to me either. Especially given the women's team have been more successful than the men's since they were formed.
Yeah, for me, I would have thought that they would really be behind this women's team.

I would love to know their particular reasons as to why they are not, and I do so hope that their minds can be changed, and that they do come to the women's games, as they are very exciting, and very much worth anyone's while!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Team news for the Everton match:

Whether that means in terms of players available to start I don't know.

I haven't seen any update on Millie Turner. She's looking well in that photos, but that's not quite the same as her being passed as medically safe to train or play as normal.

croadyman

Team news for the Everton match:

Whether that means in terms of players available to start I don't know.

I haven't seen any update on Millie Turner. She's looking well in that photos, but that's not quite the same as her being passed as medically safe to train or play as normal.
Yeah we definitely look more defensively vulnerable without Millie, fear we could regret not putting a bigger gap between ourselves & City earlier in the season.

Lightbringer

The big day is here at Old Trafford, praying for a good crowd turnout, a great result and many new fans gained!

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I miss Millie Turner and Aoife Mannion, but I was pleased that we managed to pick up Diane Caldwell during the winter break to act as cover. As it turned out we needed that cover even more than we expected. Fortunately for us she's done a really good job since she came in, we chose well.

So it's nice to see it from her perspective:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Fantastic work down the right by United, a good one two to beat the low block, followed by a fantastic cross finished by a looping header by #23 Russo

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
We're doing well here, dominate on the ball and trying to break down Everton, working the ball well, just need a chance and this will be 2-1

Spaghetti

Mom's
It’s hard to watch. I don’t think it’s gender, I just think that football is hard to watch if you don’t care who wins.

A lot of people find football boring, and I completely understand. I could watch United (mens team) every day because of the passion for the team. Take that away and it’s extremely dull.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was there not a player playing everyone on at the bottom of the screen? Totally missed by the commentary team?

RORY65

The commentator's are still talking as if she was off or it was marginal, Thorisdottir was well onside. Hopefully it's not costly, United are well on top at the moment.

cj_sparky

Was there not a player playing everyone on at the bottom of the screen? Totally missed by the commentary team?
I've no idea what they waffled on about, the player bottom screen looked to play the player at the back post on. But they talked about Galton's foot, when she was mid air flicking the ball on being offside. But that wasn't when the ball was played in and wasn't offside anyway :houllier: