WSL 22/23 | random chat on us and our rivals

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The opening weekend has United away at Spurs - playing in the main stadium. Some tickets are already on sale - but there will be a section released for United fans, tickets available soon. We're the opening Sky match of the season.

Playing that match in the main Spurs stadium may be a bit of a (away game) theme for us this season. Lots of teams are planning to use the club stadium to play us this year. No announcement yet on which if any matches we'll host at OT.

Grande

The opening weekend has United away at Spurs - playing in the main stadium. Some tickets are already on sale - but there will be a section released for United fans, tickets available soon. We're the opening Sky match of the season.

Playing that match in the main Spurs stadium may be a bit of a (away game) theme for us this season. Lots of teams are planning to use the club stadium to play us this year. No announcement yet on which if any matches we'll host at OT.
It was such a success lst season, they have to repeat it several times this year, one would think.

phelans shorts

I’d say the last game against City would be a cert. Hopefully there’ll be a few but that’ll likely depend on where the mens side are playing on any given weekend.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Tickets are selling nicely for the Reading match. For people who know the LSV - they're now selling tickets in East stand - which traditionally means that we are looking at a 5k+ crowd. That'll be really good news - United haven't had that stand open since football restarted after covid. In fact the crowds on average were lower last season that in our first season, when we were still down in the Championship.

For people who don't know the LSV. It looks like more or less all of west stand (the one you see behind the bench when you're watching on TV) is now season ticket, or hospitality etc. LSV has a seated capacity of around 8k. The WEuros had crowds at LSV of between 6k and 7.5k for its 3 group stage matches and the QF and they opened West, South and East stand for the tournament. North stand is a standing area and I doubt they'll want to use it -at least, not right now.

https://tickets.manutd.com/en-GB/events/mu women v reading women/2022-9-17_12.00/leigh sports village?hallmapt.

Tickets for the rest of the season are up too, and it looks like the Chelsea match is already selling well.
https://tickets.manutd.com/en-GB/categories/womens

No news yet on whether OT will be used for any fixtures.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
With the season starting at the weekend there's a nice primer on the teams involved at:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62710090

Whatever you think of the predictions - which include a third place for us, it's got a good summary of the key squad changes etc and a few thoughts on relative strengths/weaknesses.

Interesting to see all the United and City changes summarised in one place as well. Broadly, over the course of the last year, City have lost most of the players who got them tagged as "England FC".

MUW4Eva

With the season starting at the weekend there's a nice primer on the teams involved at:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62710090

Whatever you think of the predictions - which include a third place for us, it's got a good summary of the key squad changes etc and a few thoughts on relative strengths/weaknesses.

Interesting to see all the United and City changes summarised in one place as well. Broadly, over the course of the last year, City have lost most of the players who got them tagged as "England FC".
Still got Roebuck and Steph there, can't be long before they want out you would think.

Lightbringer

Jackie enjoying things :D

I posted her interview on reddit, I hope she will be welcomed there (saying prayers)

Last edited:

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Villa just beat City 4-3. OK, I admit it, I cheered when Rachel Daly put them 4-3 ahead :lol:
Me too! Good to see Hanson played the full 90 minutes as well. Great for us if, as expected we're fighting them for top 3. Their next game is away to Chelsea, so it doesn't get any easier for them!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Are the players City have lost going to be a big problem for them?
Not as big as the manager.
Taylor has consistently taken the club backwards and everyone has wanted him out for 18 months.

Utterly incompetent youth coach who got a job he has no business having.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Are the players City have lost going to be a big problem for them?
Hopefully :lol:

The manager says it's about rebuilding with fresh young talent. Which sounds bold but necessary, if you apply it to Steph Houghton and Jill Scott say. It sounds OK when it's about Lucy Bronze and Ellen White. But it's unconvincing when we're talking about them losing Georgia Stanway and Caroline Weir as well.

They've certainly picked up some good players, but it's not obvious they've strengthened the starting 11 - though of course if the players stay injury free then that counts as well.

As @padr81 says though, it's hard not to point the finger at the manager and you have to wonder about the mood in the squad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

The manager says it's about rebuilding with fresh young talent. Which sounds bold but necessary, if you apply it to Steph Houghton and Jill Scott say. It sounds OK when it's about Lucy Bronze and Ellen White who both have injury concerns. But it's unconvincing when we're talking about them losing Georgia Stanway and Caroline Weir as well.

They've certainly picked up some good players, but it's not obvious they've strengthened the starting 11 - though of course if the players stay injury free then that counts as well.

As @padr81 says though, it's hard not to point the finger at the manager and you have to wonder about the mood in the squad.
Keira Walsh will be a massive miss.

DomesticTadpole

Not as big as the manager.
Taylor has consistently taken the club backwards and everyone has wanted him out for 18 months.

Utterly incompetent youth coach who got a job he has no business having.
Surely there were better candidates about.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Surely there were better candidates about.

The manager says it's about rebuilding with fresh young talent. Which sounds bold but necessary, if you apply it to Steph Houghton and Jill Scott say. It sounds OK when it's about Lucy Bronze and Ellen White. But it's unconvincing when we're talking about them losing Georgia Stanway and Caroline Weir as well.

I can't help but feel the players that left, left because of him (to an extent). Its well know a bunch of the stronger first team players were organizing their own training outside of the club because training under Taylor was so stupid, old fashioned and incompetent. Rumors say the other u16's staff celebrated when he left because he's an idiot. But hey he's an ex-mens first teamer so job for life apparently.

At club level though it feels like around the time we appointed him, we just accepted "We'll never catch Chelsea so lets give up" across the board. We have amazing facilities compared to most in the womens game, the best of everything and then put people who don't care or have the iq of a toothbrush in charge.

Imagine being one of the England squad who just won under Sarina and thinking, "I have to go back to organizing my own training now cause my club manager is incapable". Can't blame them all for leaving. The club have completely given up on them.

DomesticTadpole

I can't help but feel the players that left, left because of him (to an extent). Its well know a bunch of the stronger first team players were organizing their own training outside of the club because training under Taylor was so stupid, old fashioned and incompetent. Rumors say the other u16's staff celebrated when he left because he's an idiot. But hey he's an ex-mens first teamer so job for life apparently.

At club level though it feels like around the time we appointed him, we just accepted "We'll never catch Chelsea so lets give up" across the board. We have amazing facilities compared to most in the womens game, the best of everything and then put people who don't care or have the iq of a toothbrush in charge.

Imagine being one of the England squad who just won under Sarina and thinking, "I have to go back to organizing my own training now cause my club manager is incapable". Can't blame them all for leaving. The club have completely given up on them.
Which seems to go against the ethos of Manchester City completely. That they want to be the best at everything.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I didn't see the Arsenal game and I know it's only one game in but United have to be in a with a shout this season. They just looked so good. Hopefully the Dips can get this penalty in the net.

phelans shorts

I didn't see the Arsenal game and I know it's only one game in but United have to be in a with a shout this season. They just looked so good. Hopefully the Dips can get this penalty in the net.
Think it’s very early to talk about that, even with Chelsea losing. The gap between that top two and the rest just feels insurmountable at the moment. I’d say we’re probably favourite for third with the exodus from City mind.

I liked our signings this summer, hopefully getting into that top 3 can convince the likes of Russo to stay, ideally with more cash put into that side to really kick on with Europe. We’ve a great opportunity to close that gap.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Think it’s very early to talk about that, even with Chelsea losing. The gap between that top two and the rest just feels insurmountable at the moment. I’d say we’re probably favourite for third with the exodus from City mind.

I liked our signings this summer, hopefully getting into that top 3 can convince the likes of Russo to stay, ideally with more cash put into that side to really kick on with Europe. We’ve a great opportunity to close that gap.
Agreed, I do think we will see the big three become the big two this year. My instincts are that Chelsea's playing squad is too strong to fail in the WSL and is significantly better than ours, I also suspect (though I don't want to!) that Arsenal's manager may be pretty good.

City feel there for the taking though - as they did last season. It's to be hoped that this season our extra squad depth will mean we're less fragile in the face of injuries. It would also be nice if we learned to win matches that we're leading with ten minutes to go :smirk:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Which seems to go against the ethos of Manchester City completely. That they want to be the best at everything.
Yeah it genuinely feels like they thought "It'll cost too much to catch Chelsea, give the job to Gareth and forget about it". We'll do well to finish above you guys this season in the battle for 3rd, we won't get near Chelsea or Arsenal.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Do we have a shot this season at the title?
I doubt it - I think too many things have to go our way in terms of United players form and fitness, our manager's tactical ability and the top two not living up to their first XIs potentials to do it. I'm not saying it's impossible, we've been at the top of the WSL before (for short periods) but it would still feel more of a Leicester-like surprise than a Chelsea style "dark horse" outcome. It could be an interesting season though!

Realistically, we've got to be in with a shout on the cups and a strong candidate for a CL place though.

Grande

Who’s in charge of such an appointment at City? I guess at United, it would have been Murtaugh until recently, but now he’s hired a sports director for the women’s department as I recall.

MUW4Eva

Steph still playing for City shows how out of touch the club is with what they actually need, she was at fault for all of the goals that City conceded today.

Why were City playing a high line defensively when Steph's legs have well and truly gone??

This game reminded me of the West Brom away game in which Gary Neville called ot quits, Steph should use this game to do the same, she is dine, finished as a top level player.
No idea why she is carrying on anymore, she doesn't offer City anything on a positive level.
The more she plays, the more defeats that City will have on their record.
It is sad as at her peak she was a fabulous player, but now, there really isn't anything at all left in her.

As for the next round of games, Arsenal v Spurs, the battle of two teams that both won their opening day games, will be very interesting indeed, especially in front of a record WSL crowd.

Then we play away to West Ham, where very frustratingly we dropped points last season, we need to rectify that this time around for sure.

Then after we kick off, the battle of the bottom sides kicks off between Chelsea and Man City, whoever loses, could very well see their respective manager get the sack, as Tuchel got the sack for doing more than Emma has done (he won the Champions League, which Emma has not yet done) & with City having already having embarrassed themselves and the country by laughably going out of the Champions League before the season has even started, another defeat, and Jayne Ludlow could very well take Taylor's place as manager......

So that game could have HUGE consequences for whoever gets beat, even a draw is very poor for both and doesn't help either side.

City though look as though their owners have given up the ghost, their best or most famous players have all left, their captain isn't a player of any degree anymore, their signings, especially in midfield look like a complete waste of cash, so there is a lot that is wrong there.

We look pretty good, even without Jackie, I think we could really push on this season, we have depth in most positions, although I do worry what happens if anything were to befall Russo.....so touch ALL of the wood that nothing does!!

Grande

Steph still playing for City shows how out of touch the club is with what they actually need, she was at fault for all of the goals that City conceded today.

Why were City playing a high line defensively when Steph's legs have well and truly gone??

This game reminded me of the West Brom away game in which Gary Neville called ot quits, Steph should use this game to do the same, she is dine, finished as a top level player.
No idea why she is carrying on anymore, she doesn't offer City anything on a positive level.
The more she plays, the more defeats that City will have on their record.
It is sad as at her peak she was a fabulous player, but now, there really isn't anything at all left in her.

As for the next round of games, Arsenal v Spurs, the battle of two teams that both won their opening day games, will be very interesting indeed, especially in front of a record WSL crowd.

Then we play away to West Ham, where very frustratingly we dropped points last season, we need to rectify that this time around for sure.

Then after we kick off, the battle of the bottom sides kicks off between Chelsea and Man City, whoever loses, could very well see their respective manager get the sack, as Tuchel got the sack for doing more than Emma has done (he won the Champions League, which Emma has not yet done) & with City having already having embarrassed themselves and the country by laughably going out of the Champions League before the season has even started, another defeat, and Jayne Ludlow could very well take Taylor's place as manager......

So that game could have HUGE consequences for whoever gets beat, even a draw is very poor for both and doesn't help either side.

City though look as though their owners have given up the ghost, their best or most famous players have all left, their captain isn't a player of any degree anymore, their signings, especially in midfield look like a complete waste of cash, so there is a lot that is wrong there.

We look pretty good, even without Jackie, I think we could really push on this season, we have depth in most positions, although I do worry what happens if anything were to befall Russo.....so touch ALL of the wood that nothing does!!
i appreciate the optimism :) Hopefully, City’s problems and maybe Chelsea’s too run deep. One game is one game though.

We had a fantastic first half to the season so far, but the second half, we haven’t even managed to score a goal!

MUW4Eva

i appreciate the optimism :) Hopefully, City’s problems and maybe Chelsea’s too run deep. One game is one game though.

We had a fantastic first half to the season so far, but the second half, we haven’t even managed to score a goal!
City have HUGE issues, no midfield, & no defence, not sure at all how they solve that....

The Chelsea v City game, is definitely a battle of two very poor sides, I think Chelsea being at home might just nick it, and as a consequence, City will sack Taylor, and move Ludlow across to his seat, but she will still face the same issues, especially in telling Steph that she is done, and should retire, as playing her hurts City far more than not doing so.

As for us, we look good, no second half goals isn't an issue when you have scored 4 in the first half!

West Ham looked good against Everton, and will be full of confidence going into our game with them, but I fully belive that we shall correct the error that we made last season, and we shall beat them.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The weekend's matches:
Arsenal 4-0 Brighton (Att: 3238)
United 4-0 Reading (Att: 5315)
Aston Villa 4-3 Manchester City (Att: 6,785 - played at Villa Park)
Leicester City 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham United 1-0 Everton
Liverpool 2-1 Chelsea (Att: 3,006)

...and it's only one game, but I'll post it because - why not?

MUW4Eva

The weekend's matches:

Joint Champions right now, if Covid or something were to cancel the season now!

ForeverRed1

The weekend's matches:

Poor showing for the game at villa park, stadium looked empty. Pointless playing it there really.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I do think this kind of messaging can get overdone and people can end up thinking we're describing a kid's tea party not a football match. Football needs its visceral hit (else we don't show up on a wet Wednesday for a match we're expecting to lose) and part of that is the tribalism and the ability football has to make you lose yourself in the moment.

It's getting the good bits of that vibe without the negatives - racism, homophobia, harassment, violence etc - that's important going forward.

The Netherlands fans at the Euros were gloriously partisan for example - but there was no air of menace towards other fans or bystanders. And yes, I was at Wembley for the final and I bet the police and stewards on duty has a good day as well as the fans - I doubt they had to do anything more challenging than directing fans to the right entrance!

It was interesting to hear some fans complaining about heavy-handed stewarding at Villa Park for the Aston Villa v City women's match on Sunday. Apparently some of the stewards were trying to usher the players away from signing autographs and chatting to fans at the end, and stopping kids walking to the front of the stand to meet the players. Keeping the good stuff as the game grows does matter.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I cant agree on the message being overdone. This place is a great example of how toxic things can be with some of the threads. Just looking at the photo used in the article, it shows families and fans of all ages etc enjoying football, thats the message i got anyway.

MUW4Eva

At this stage, we can't be affording to turn away anyone, we should be as welcoming to as many people as possible, to all of the games, families & single people....

Yes keep the violence, and nastiness away for damn sure, but the tribalism should be encouraged.

The noise, singing, chanting etc should continue, and grow.

Also stewards should be educated more that signing autograps, having photos taken, is a huge part of the women's game, this isn't the men's game, so anyone stopping anyone from doing just that should be told before hand.