WSL 22/23 | random chat on us and our rivals

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
2-0, still deservedly. Chelsea suffering from the continental hangover? Two brilliant goals from City.

top1whoisman

Scout
I'm not sure what is the best result for us. If only we had nicked a draw against Chelsea
I'd be happy with a draw. Both losing two points on us would be nice. That requires quite a second half from Chelsea though, City all over them the first 40 minutes.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well that was oneway traffic for the whole half, interesting to see whether Chelsea can put up any kind of fight. A double sub from Hayes after 35 minutes :eek: Must say Lauren James offers nothing when she has one of those days. Just jogging around and basically walking around off the ball.

Lightbringer

What a disaster! This means literally we have zero room to slip up. An absolute nightmare. Our objective is to secure 3rd place and hopefully keep Russo and Ona, anything else is secondary.

top1whoisman

Scout
What a disaster! This means literally we have zero room to slip up. An absolute nightmare. Our objective is to secure 3rd place and hopefully keep Russo and Ona, anything else is secondary.
We have zero room to slip up regardless.

Lightbringer

We have zero room to slip up regardless.
We could lose to City in the last game if they lost today, so this makes a big difference. Anyway, we have to take care of our business, but the result was unfortunate! Suprising Chelsea folded like a deck of cards when the title is still to play for.

top1whoisman

Scout
We could lose to City in the last game if they lost today, so this makes a big difference. Anyway, we have to take care of our business, but the result was unfortunate! Suprising Chelsea folded like a deck of cards when the title is still to play for.
Somehow I've got a feeling, based on what I've seen today, that they had so much riding on the Lyon game midweek and failed to show up against a strong City side who've been preparing for this for a while now. Something is wrong with the team though, don't know if it's lack of hunger after winning so much or what. But Hayes was really angry at the team after the league cup final and today's performance is simply not good enough. We really should've taken a point against them. I'd say they are still favorites to win the title, although they're not playing great football at the moment.

Eric_the_Red99

How the hell did this Chelsea team beat us? They’ve looked awful today, second to everything and devoid of ideas. I know they’ve had injuries but that was the case when we played them. Dropping 3 points against is looking really bad now.

top1whoisman

Scout
How the hell did this Chelsea team beat us? They’ve looked awful today, second to everything and devoid of ideas. I know they’ve had injuries but that was the case when we played them. Dropping 3 points against is looking really bad now.
I'd say we still have a big mental hurdle in terms of beating these top teams. We're often kind of timid against them. Getting results against Arsenal and City have hopefully given us confidence going forward but there's still a long way to go. They were not this bad against us, although I was not impressed with how they played either. Should've gotten a point.

top1whoisman

Scout
United 16 12-2-2 42-9 +33 38
Man City
16 12-2-2 34-14 +20 38
Chelsea
15 12-1-2 39-14 +25 37
Arsenal
15 11-2-2 38-9 +29 35

Sat 1 Apr

11:30 Brighton vs United

Sun 2 Apr
12:30 Arsenal vs Man City
18:45 Villa vs Chelsea

SuperScoot

United 16 12-2-2 42-9 +33 38
Man City
16 12-2-2 34-14 +20 38
Chelsea
15 12-1-2 39-14 +25 37
Arsenal
15 11-2-2 38-9 +29 35

Sat 1 Apr

11:30 Brighton vs United

Sun 2 Apr
12:30 Arsenal vs Man City
18:45 Villa vs Chelsea
With the goal difference as it is, and with those fixtures next, the title is still definitely on for utd.

I think the fact we have just missed out on champions league in recent seasons, people with worry about today's result make it so tight for the cl places, but frankly it's a great chance to lift the league this season.

top1whoisman

Scout
With the goal difference as it is, and with those fixtures next, the title is still definitely on for utd.

I think the fact we have just missed out on champions league in recent seasons, people with worry about today's result make it so tight for the cl places, but frankly it's a great chance to lift the league this season.
If Villa don't shock us all and beat Chelsea, their league fixtures for the rest of the season after that are:

Leicester (H)
West Ham (A)
Liverpool (H)
Everton (H)
Arsenal (H)
Reading (A)

By the time they face Arsenal, the only fixture I can see them dropping points in, we've played Villa away and City & Arsenal at home. Dropping any points in those three would mean a draw against Arsenal is enough for Chelsea to top us in the table. So I'd say it's extremely unlikely we'll win it. But I want to dream as well, we just really need to beat those top teams at home and hope Chelsea drop points somewhere.

Arsenal still face all three top teams + Villa and I think it'll be too much to ask with Mead & Miedema missing. I can easily see them dropping too many points and finishing fourth.

Last edited:

SuperScoot

If Villa don't shock us all and beat Chelsea, their league fixtures for the rest of the season after that are:

Leicester (H)
West Ham (A)
Liverpool (H)
Everton (H)
Arsenal (H)
Reading (A)

By the time they face Arsenal, the only fixture I can see them dropping points in, we've played Villa away and City & Arsenal at home. Dropping any points in those three would mean a draw against Arsenal is enough for Chelsea to top us in the table. So I'd say it's extremely unlikely we'll win it. But I want to dream as well, we just really need to beat those top teams at home and hope Chelsea drop points somewhere.
No dreaming, just believing. That is what was disappointing about the Chelsea result, we have the beating of these teams now, but almost froze and abandoned the way we played against them, I hadn't seen so many long balls in our game all season than in that game. Villa are capable of beating Chelsea, and Arsenal will need to go for the win as well, trust me it's on..

top1whoisman

Scout
No dreaming, just believing. That is what was disappointing about the Chelsea result, we have the beating of these teams now, but almost froze and abandoned the way we played against them, I hadn't seen so many long balls in our game all season than in that game. Villa are capable of beating Chelsea, and Arsenal will need to go for the win as well, trust me it's on..
Regarding the bolded part, that's what I mean. It's still a mental hurdle for us when we face the top teams. That will result in not playing our own football every now and then. But the two home games at LSV present a good opportunity to show that is not the case anymore. Think we'll beat Arsenal but struggle against City.

RyRy11

Although we seemed a bit toothless, we were arguably the better team in that game and we had at least two stonewall penalties turned down.

croadyman

I'd say we still have a big mental hurdle in terms of beating these top teams. We're often kind of timid against them. Getting results against Arsenal and City have hopefully given us confidence going forward but there's still a long way to go. They were not this bad against us, although I was not impressed with how they played either. Should've gotten a point.
Yeah huge hurdle when facing City & Chelsea

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Watching the Arsenal Cl game and Mannum just scored an absolute peach
Arsenal won 2-0 tonight and therefore won the QF 2-1 on aggregate. The WCL semifinals are weekend fixtures. The SFs clash with their WSL games against us and against Everton.

This means United v Arsenal at LSV, scheduled for the 22 April will need to be rearranged.

top1whoisman

Scout
Arsenal won 2-0 tonight and therefore won the QF 2-1 on aggregate. The WCL semifinals are weekend fixtures. The SFs clash with their WSL games against us and against Everton.

This means United v Arsenal at LSV, scheduled for the 22 April will need to be rearranged.
I'm happy if both Arsenal and Chelsea get to the semis as their schedules become a bit congested as a result.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm happy if both Arsenal and Chelsea get to the semis as their schedules become a bit congested as a result.
Looks like you got your wish! Not just another couple of matches for them to fit in, but a long hard match last night. They play Villa on Sunday, who are certainly capable of causing them trouble.

Their games against West Ham and Leicester will be rearranged.

Makes our own form and what we do against City and Arsenal feel even more crucial now. Interesting times.

Dan_F

What’s everyone’s preference with the City Arsenal game? I kinda feel like Arsenal losing is best for us. Going into that game knowing we can pretty much seal up top 3 with a win would be massive.

Might take the pressure off ever so slightly ahead of the final 3 games.

top1whoisman

Scout
What a week for Arsenal. Hammering Spurs in the derby, turning the aggregate against Bayern and reaching the CL semis and now winning a crucial match vs City. Can't say I'm happy with that result though. Although I can't stand that City team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What a week for Arsenal. Hammering Spurs in the derby, turning the aggregate against Bayern and reaching the CL semis and now winning a crucial match vs City. Can't say I'm happy with that result though. Although I can't stand that City team.
We have to do our own job and make sure we beat both of them.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
More decisions for Chelsea . Ref ignores a clear foul on the goalkeeper before their goal against Villa

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think if we get 10 points from our 5 games we will get champions league football. If we get 15 we will probably win the league

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Chelsea win 3-0. Their run-in is pretty straightforward from here. Only their home match with Arsenal looks like a serious challenge for them.

Meanwhile down at the other end of the table Leicester lift themselves off bottom for the first time this season. Carrie Jones (on loan from us) scored in the 90 +6 minute to give them a win over Reading:

Which means the League looks like this tonight:

Wing Attack Plan R

Wouldn't it be cool if the men's team gave up one week's wages and contributed it to the women's team, to be split amongst the players and staff? One week's wages would be a nice gesture and would probably transform the players' lives.

rajds89

Wouldn't it be cool if the men's team gave up one week's wages and contributed it to the women's team, to be split amongst the players and staff? One week's wages would be a nice gesture and would probably transform the players' lives.
Why though? The men don’t owe the women anything.

TMS

I get where sentiments like this come from, but this seems so backwards to me. Similar to how the government were so quick to demonise top footballers during the pandemic as if they were the ones to blame for many of the issues.

The mens team's players have no responsibility to fund the womens team or share the money they've earned in any way, though many of them do through charitable acts etc.. It's the club who should be properly funding the womens team and anything less than that would be trying to pass the buck for their own shortcomings. So lets not try and pit the two teams against each other and just demand better from the people in charge, whoever that may be once the takeover saga is over.

Reactions: top1whoisman

RORY65

Looks like United have agreed a deal to sign Evie Rabjohn, a very highly rated young defender, from Aston Villa when she turns 18.

top1whoisman

Scout

Looks like United have agreed a deal to sign Evie Rabjohn, a very highly rated young defender, from Aston Villa when she turns 18.
Brilliant. Apparently all the other top 4 clubs were in for her too. Really like how our CB situation looks like.