WSL 22/23 | United v Chelsea - Sun 6 Nov at 6:45pm

croadyman

I get that, and I know it's a huge challenge to step up to the big clubs in this league. But it's just incredibly frustrating to watch the same thing happen time and time again once we come up against the top 3. As a club, we've put a lot of pressure on ourselves to break into the top 3 this year after consistently missing out, and we've started the season very well (in the league at least). But ultimately, our season is gonna be defined by our results against Chelsea, Arsenal and City. If we panic every time we face them and can't win even once against these teams, then the outcome will be the same as previous seasons. At some point we have to stop thinking "Wow, Chelsea are so good" and start thinking "Actually, why can't we beat them?", and I do think at this point it's a mental barrier that we have to break through, rather than tactics or individual talent.
Agree with every single word of this,in fact could even have wrote it myself

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I expected us to at least not look like deers in the headlights when facing top 3 teams
You expect too much - I was happy to go late into this game and still be in with a shout of a draw

and if we avoid defeat to Arsenal it will be an achievement

City are not on that level though so not unrealistic to expect something there

croadyman

You expect too much - I was happy to go late into this game and still be in with a shout of a draw

and if we avoid defeat to Arsenal it will be an achievement

City are not on that level though so not unrealistic to expect something there
We need to get in front of Arsenal and please drop that calamitous CB partnering Millie

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I get that, and I know it's a huge challenge to step up to the big clubs in this league. But it's just incredibly frustrating to watch the same thing happen time and time again once we come up against the top 3. As a club, we've put a lot of pressure on ourselves to break into the top 3 this year after consistently missing out, and we've started the season very well (in the league at least). But ultimately, our season is gonna be defined by our results against Chelsea, Arsenal and City. If we panic every time we face them and can't win even once against these teams, then the outcome will be the same as previous seasons. At some point we have to stop thinking "Wow, Chelsea are so good" and start thinking "Actually, why can't we beat them?", and I do think at this point it's a mental barrier that we have to break through, rather than tactics or individual talent.
Yeah, but we just have to accept that Arsenal and Chelsea's squads are just a bit better than ours (at the moment). Not really fussed about City's anymore. We just have to trust in the process. I was a bit gutted when Sigsworth went to Leicester but our team is better than when Stoney was in charge. We'll be fine and may still spring a surprise yet.

It's the men's team that need more work doing to it.

phelans shorts

Yeah, but we just have to accept that Arsenal and Chelsea's squads are just a bit better than ours (at the moment). Not really fussed about City's anymore. We just have to trust in the process. I was a bit gutted when Sigsworth went to Leicester but our team is better than when Stoney was in charge. We'll be fine and may still spring a surprise yet.

It's the men's team that need more work doing to it.
It shouldn’t be an either or. The womens side still needs healthy investment to get where we want it to be, top 3 whilst enough this year, shouldn’t be the aim. The aim should be Barcelona, Lyon, Chelsea etc…

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It shouldn’t be an either or. The womens side still needs healthy investment to get where we want it to be, top 3 whilst enough this year, shouldn’t be the aim. The aim should be Barcelona, Lyon, Chelsea etc…
I didn't say anything of the sort?

madi5h

whilst its true that, arsenal, chelsea and maybe city have better squads, i dont accept that we shud be accepting of never beating them, if you are the hardest working team you are always in with a shout, and our squad is far from that, too passive, too slow on the press, not aggressive enough and tends to fall off in games before almost any opponent, just not fit enough.
improve these these things across the board and we would be in with more of a shout than adding 1 or 2 more players, the squad was fitter under stoney imo

Lightbringer

Earps performance on Chelsea 0-1 goal was terrible, that set the tone unfortunately.