WSL 22/23 | United v City - Sun 21 May at 6:45

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Another big weekend for us. Winning our last two games will give us (at worst) the runners up spot. The fact the last two are home to City then away to Liverpool just adds to the spice.

There is still a remote mathematical possibility of us missing out on a WCL place to City, but they'd need to oveturn our 17 goal GD advantage - with only two games left to play. Still, beating City is always a good thing and helping push them into fourth would be a nice bonus.

The tickets are sold out, so United would like you to buy some kit instead :D

Demon Barber

Another big weekend for us. Winning our last two games will give us (at worst) the runners up spot. The fact the last two are home to City then away to Liverpool just adds to the spice.

There is still a remote mathematical possibility of us missing out on a WCL place to City, but they'd need to oveturn our 17 goal GD advantage - with only two games left to play. Still, beating City is always a good thing and helping push them into fourth would be a nice bonus.

The tickets are sold out, so United would like you to buy some kit instead :D

I am glad that this game is sold out, but with the men's team away it infuriates me that this is not at OT. Such short-sightedness and cba planning.

jojojo's links to attendances was interesting. Arsenal targeted United, Spurs and Chelsea for their Emirates matches and got 40k+ crowds. City average about 3500 for most games, but got 44000 against us at the Etihad. Forget about trying to sell kit - sell more seats!

I do not have privileges to start a new thread yet, so am going to ask this here. I intend to buy a season ticket for next season (£60 South Stand) but am unlikely to be able to get up to all mid-week games as I now live in the South West. I would happily donate those tickets to someone who could attend. Is that easy to do?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You can post up any spare tickets in the ticket thread on here

But yes this game really should have been at Old Trafford

Demon Barber

Thanks

Thanks @Rood - but what I meant was is it easy to transfer ... A screenshot or something?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
City have been a bit sketchy recently, good against Chelsea, poor against Liverpool for example.

I think the Wembley pitch will have sucked a lot of energy from the team so I have a feeling the slim title chance will go due to dropped points this game.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thanks

Thanks @Rood - but what I meant was is it easy to transfer ... A screenshot or something?
No idea for LSV, probably @jojojo is best placed to advise and perhaps the Women's team need their own ticket thread on here for such discussion

for Old Trafford you can transfer tickets to another member online

RORY65

City have been a bit sketchy recently, good against Chelsea, poor against Liverpool for example.

I think the Wembley pitch will have sucked a lot of energy from the team so I have a feeling the slim title chance will go due to dropped points this game.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.
That is very possible, I'm not sure the team has played that well for a while and the way that we played the last half hour of Wembley by having a huge gap between the defence and attack and not much in between would have been particularly energy sapping on such a big pitch.

One thing to note is that Chelsea vs Arsenal is earlier in the day, if the team gets help from Arsenal then that may lift them or pile the pressure on them. If Chelsea win tomorrow and then beat Arsenal then the title is basically gone and the team may well be flat.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That is very possible, I'm not sure the team has played that well for a while and the way that we played the last half hour of Wembley by having a huge gap between the defence and attack and not much in between would have been particularly energy sapping on such a big pitch.

One thing to note is that Chelsea vs Arsenal is earlier in the day, if the team gets help from Arsenal then that may lift them or pile the pressure on them. If Chelsea win tomorrow and then beat Arsenal then the title is basically gone and the team may well be flat.
It's important to note that United are the better side out of us and City however, so I definitely still have faith that the job will be done.

That's true about the game on before hand, be good if Arsenal could take points from Chelsea, again they are more than capable of doing so as Chelsea have had a lot of games in a short amount of time.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It's important to note that United are the better side out of us and City however, so I definitely still have faith that the job will be done.

That's true about the game on before hand, be good if Arsenal could take points from Chelsea, again they are more than capable of doing so as Chelsea have had a lot of games in a short amount of time.
We'd most likely need Arsenal to beat Chelsea, draw would probably not be enough. Chelsea have West Ham & Reading left to boost their goal difference against, while we have two nervy derbies ahead.

RORY65

If Arsenal lose would it guarantee without doubt we have CL or is it only City we need to worry about for that?
Arsenal play tomorrow, if they win that they're 3 points behind having played the same number of games. Them losing to Chelsea would mean, like with City, that we would need 1 point from our final 2 games to ensure that we finish above them.

Demon Barber

Arsenal play tomorrow, if they win that they're 3 points behind having played the same number of games. Them losing to Chelsea would mean, like with City, that we would need 1 point from our final 2 games to ensure that we finish above them.
True, although technically Arsenal can still win the league, which will make their game against Chelsea more interesting. This is going down to the last day.

top1whoisman

Scout
True, although technically Arsenal can still win the league, which will make their game against Chelsea more interesting. This is going down to the last day.
By the time they kick off on Sunday, Chelsea need one more point from either of their remaining games to kill off that hope Arsenal might have. But Arsenal still need points to clinch the CL spot, so they have something to play for regardless.

I have a bad feeling that Chelsea will be crowned champions on Sunday night.

Demon Barber

By the time they kick off on Sunday, Chelsea need one more point from either of their remaining games to kill off that hope Arsenal might have. But Arsenal still need points to clinch the CL spot, so they have something to play for regardless.

I was just being optimistic! Always hopeful until there is no hope - then pragmatic and optimistic for the season after. It keeps me sane.

Edit: not optimistic for Arsenal, but that they can beat Chelsea

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thanks.

StretfordEnd78

Tickets available in the standing area for Sunday. Less than 50 though.
A lot of people bought STs on the back of the Euros euphoria and have been infrequent attenders at best.
Shouldn’t happen so much next season.
Can’t wait for Sunday. Avoiding defeat a big priority to ensure CL qualification but a derby win would be great.

croadyman

Yeah just gonna fall agonisingly short

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
With last night's matches, all the clubs have now played 20 matches. Our GD should protect our CL place. Chelsea's GD means that realistically even a draw against Arsenal will be enough to give them the title. Arsenal's Lia Walti got injured last night, their squad is getting smaller all the time.

All we can do now is beat City to keep them out of the WCL and make sure that the title isn't mathematically decided until the final weekend.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

When I asked Ella Toone about this she was a) surprised it wasn't at OT, but then b) said it's good in a way because they have a good record against City at LSV.

top1whoisman

Scout
The home draw against Everton looks even more pivotal now.
You may look at it that way, but having a 93,3% win rate and 2.87 ppg against teams outside the top four is pretty damn good. For comparison: Arsenal 93,3% & 2.87, Chelsea 93,3% & 2.8, City 80% & 2.47.

I guess you could say that we need to win all those games but at the same time it feels a bit unfair.

So in my eyes not getting anything against Chelsea was a bigger miss when you’re counting points at the end of the season.

croadyman

You may look at it that way, but having a 93,3% win rate and 2.87 ppg against teams outside the top four is pretty damn good. For comparison: Arsenal 93,3% & 2.87, Chelsea 93,3% & 2.8, City 80% & 2.47.

I guess you could say that we need to win all those games but at the same time it feels a bit unfair.

So in my eyes not getting anything against Chelsea was a bigger miss when you’re counting points at the end of the season.
Yeah 0/6 was always going to hurt us

Demon Barber

Chelsea are the yardstick, obviously, and the fact that they have beaten us in all eight or nine games is telling ... but ...

The ground we have made on Chelsea, Arsenal and City is remarkable. We are likely to finish second and only a couple of points shy of first. When you think of the experience, historical dominance and investment of the other three teams this quite an incredible rise.

Beat the Chelsea hoodoo next year and we can win it!

StretfordEnd78

The season has been a tremendous success no doubt. I’ve enjoyed the games immensely and I’m sure the home fans will show their appreciation on Sunday. Hope to see a few Wembley flags flying.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I do not have privileges to start a new thread yet, so am going to ask this here. I intend to buy a season ticket for next season (£60 South Stand) but am unlikely to be able to get up to all mid-week games as I now live in the South West. I would happily donate those tickets to someone who could attend. Is that easy to do?
The simple answer based on this year's system is: yes, if you trust them. Your season ticket is a QR code that you can printout or load on your phone. If you pass it on, you rely on them not to use it on dates when you're driving up. Unlikely to be a problem in real life of course.

Match by match transfer isn't currently available. It's still early days for working out how to get the ticketing system right for the women's team. I don't think we'll know until next season starts really.

A family member wanted to transfer his ticket for the match this weekend, but he has a over 65s season ticket and it's going to his 20 something great niece. We called the ticket office to see how to upgrade the 65+ to standard adult, but they didn't have a way to do it - understandable given the small amount of money and low number of likely requests. Still, it was a bit disconcerting to be told - "don't worry about it, just give her the ticket, no one will mind." I hope it's true :lol:

Demon Barber

Thank you as ever for your clear and detailed reply @jojojo and for all the hard work you put into the women's section of this forum.

I am a member of another United forum and have been for many years, but the sheer apathy and misogyny towards the women's game on there is frankly disgusting.

As for your reply, I guessed it would be a QR code but was unsure whether it would be on a match-by-match basis. I will get a ST regardless and take it from there. Thanks once again.

P.S. hopefully Bristol City Women get promotion to give me another "home" game!

croadyman

Chelsea are the yardstick, obviously, and the fact that they have beaten us in all eight or nine games is telling ... but ...

The ground we have made on Chelsea, Arsenal and City is remarkable. We are likely to finish second and only a couple of points shy of first. When you think of the experience, historical dominance and investment of the other three teams this quite an incredible rise.

Beat the Chelsea hoodoo next year and we can win it!
Yeah we are gonna fall agonisingly short due to a couple of results. We have definitely exceeded expectations but still hoping we don't lose either of our two key players.

Lightbringer

Top 2 is crucial to not have to risk facing Atletico or real Madrid for example in a knockout Q to reach champions league.

So if Arsenal would beat Chelsea and we lose to City, then we might miss Champions league as City have done for many seasons.

Just to add some more spice to the finish, stakes are super high!

croadyman

Top 2 is crucial to not have to risk facing Atletico or real Madrid for example in a knockout Q to reach champions league.

So if Arsenal would beat Chelsea and we lose to City, then we might miss Champions league as City have done for many seasons.

Just to add some more spice to the finish, stakes are super high!
Can't see Arsenal beating Chelsea at Kingsmeadow,don't take any notice of that Continental Cup Final win because neutral ground

Lightbringer

Can't see Arsenal beating Chelsea at Kingsmeadow,don't take any notice of that Continental Cup Final win because neutral ground
Even oil imperiums must lose out some day? (even with bought refs) :-)

Last edited: