WSL 23/24 | Arsenal v United - 12:30 Sat 17 Feb

Lightbringer

I just re-watched 1-0, what is Geyse doing? She is defending a corner and she looks like she is sleepwalking with her mind anywhere else. I know things like that can happen, but to me its Geyse not paying attention, not being focused.

And that gives Arsenal momentum, and we piss ourselves. And then we have Zelem with a brain dead play. And Arsenal gain more momentum and we panic.

And the defending has been horrible, probably the worst we had against Arsenal since 2019.

Once again we find a way to concede early against a top team and give them momentum!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You could see this from the first 5mins. Why we insist on not closing the midfield gaps and then try a short passing game against a team far superior in that area at the moment is weird.

Also, where is Toone supposed to be playing? She doesn't seem to know herself.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I just re-watched 1-0, what is Geyse doing? She is defending a corner and she looks like she is sleepwalking with her mind anywhere else. I know things like that can happen, but to me its Geyse not paying attention, not being focused.

And that gives Arsenal momentum, and we piss ourselves. And then we have Zelem with a brain dead play. And Arsenal gain more momentum and we panic.

And the defending has been horrible, probably the worst we had against Arsenal since 2019.

Once again we find a way to concede early against a top team and give them momentum!
Geyse has been really poor. I would sub tbh

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Evans need to be subbed ASAP before she gets red carded, not that it matters anymore as the game is over! She should not feature as a fullback EVER again.
Unfortunately, she's a mile behind Riviere. Injuries are costing us this season.

But so is Skinner. Mannion is available, even though it would have meant a positional re-shuffle. We were always likely to be exposed without Hayley Ladd protecting the defence.

At best we're in the realms of "let's try and win the second half" now. We'll see.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
My first WSL united game, i reckon ive taken more interest recently in women football thanks to EASFC :)

I hope this isnt the norm and the girls have more to their game though :nervous:

Lightbringer

You could see this from the first 5mins. Why we insist on not closing the midfield gaps and then try a short passing game against a team far superior in that area at the moment is weird.

Also, where is Toone supposed to be playing? She doesn't seem to know herself.
The thing with Skinner is if the opposing team starts with crazy high pressure that they wont be able to maintain, United still play small passes at the back and risk giving away the game. Just play long balls til the game has settled and Arsenal has ran out of their initial running rage. But not lets just pass ourselves into trouble like every time it has happened before.

This Arsenal team took 50 minutes to break down the London Bees and we crumbled immediately.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Our players are usually far better, our tactics typically aren't. Big element of luck - or great individual skills - required to play big teams the way we try to do it.
Yeah that's what I meant in response to "the girls have more to their game".

They do, as you say it's our lack of tactics that ever holds us back.

Lightbringer

Our players are usually far better, our tactics typically aren't. Big element of luck - or great individual skills - required to play big teams the way we try to do it.
Thats the question, how does teams way below our budget give Arsenal a hard time while we look like we could be lit up 7-0?

Lightbringer

Put Skinner in the office with Uniteds top brass today, why would United extend Skinner? I would not rule out he has lost the players at this point. We just look hopeless.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Beth Mead hit the woodwork twice in five minutes.

Russo on for Blackstenius now.

Williams is on for Geyse for us. Not sure what she's supposed to do to fix our porous defence or our sluggish midfield though.

Lightbringer

Beth Mead hit the woodwork twice in five minutes.

Russo on for Blackstenius now.

Williams is on for Geyse for us. Not sure what she's supposed to do to fix our porous defence or our sluggish midfield though.
Why did Arsenal need Russo to beat us? Their squad value is almost double than ours!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It's clearly not a "full house" like they keep banging on about whilst panning around to loads of empty seats :lol:

Still a lot though.
That reminded me a bit of the "Club Wembley" thing where it takes ages to refill and has empty seats even when the stadium looks packed.

Arsenal are pretty keen on bigging up their attendances though. That 60160 attendance they've just claimed is surely tickets sold/distributed - not number through the turnstile.

croadyman

Put Skinner in the office with Uniteds top brass today, why would United extend Skinner? I would not rule out he has lost the players at this point. We just look hopeless.
Think you have absolutely nailed it,needs dragging into that office first thing tomorrow

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
FT 3-1 to Arsenal. Poor performance from us.

I don't like Skinner, natural mid-table sort of manager with an annoying attitude when talking about players and performances and I didn't like his game management again today. Nothing much changes.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I don't like Skinner, natural mid-table sort of manager with an annoying attitude when talking about players and performances and I didn't like his game management again today. Nothing much changes.
Agree that he is a mid table manager, not the sort of manager for a club with ambition, if we are. Where would we go for that sort of manager?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yeah can't see Skinner still being here next season, the regression has been quite something.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm

I agree 100%. But to be honest, we are also losing out best players every summer last 2 years (James, Russo for example).

RORY65

I agree 100%. But to be honest, we are also losing out best players every summer last 2 years (James, Russo for example).
Russo was important to us but losing Batlle was the disaster. Her ability to carry the ball and her creativity as well as her ability to recover defensively helped mask the fact that Skinner, despite talking himself up and the complexities of his style of play as if he's Pep Guardiola, has never really built a balanced midfield.

I think at best this is the 4th strongest squad in the league so the position isn't terrible but the performances are and it's becoming increasingly clear that he's not the right man for the long term.

Scanny

They’ve gone for a reason and that’s to win things. Clearly this team isn’t winning anything soon and that is down to the general mismanagement at United and having a bang average manager.

Last edited:

Demon Barber

I had to listen to this on the radio, and frankly, I'm glad I did not see it. It sounded as though we deserved nothing, and Zelem said as much after the game.

I don't do knee-jerk stuff, but I said a long time ago that Skinner has done a decent job but has taken us as far as he can. Arsenal may have pedigree and a more expensive squad than us, but I genuinely do not think their players are individually better.

Ah well - FA Cup it is then.

croadyman

I had to listen to this on the radio, and frankly, I'm glad I did not see it. It sounded as though we deserved nothing, and Zelem said as much after the game.

I don't do knee-jerk stuff, but I said a long time ago that Skinner has done a decent job but has taken us as far as he can. Arsenal may have pedigree and a more expensive squad than us, but I genuinely do not think their players are individually better.

Ah well - FA Cup it is then.
FA Cup is probably reason he's not sacked

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Could not watch so just caught up on the highlights - looks like we were thoroughly outplayed

Don't think Skinner will be sacked but a change in the summer is likely

Demon Barber

Could not watch so just caught up on the highlights - looks like we were thoroughly outplayed

So ... Sacked? Politely asked to stand down? Mutual consent?

I'd give the player/manager job to Earps.

croadyman

He won't be sacked until the summer but how much damage will be done by then is the worry

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So ... Sacked? Politely asked to stand down? Mutual consent?

I'd give the player/manager job to Earps.
I think his contract runs out this season

Interesting shout on Mary but doubt the club will go for that, no idea if she's even interested in that kind of role

Demon Barber

Interesting shout on Mary but doubt the club will go for that, no idea if she's even interested in that kind of role
Me neither, but I reckon she would be brilliant!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

I hope that with a new football hierarchy taking over, Sir Jim, Dave Brailsford et al have been talking to those involved in the women's section, and a vision of how they can progress.
It looks like Skinner may well move on in the summer, I haven't heard of any talks regarding extending his contract, and although we have lost several good players, the team have looked poor at times this season, with no discernable pattern of play, apart from keeping the ball and passing backwards at all times.
We have some quality players, and with a couple of good signings, and a new coach/manager, then I think we can actually compete with the 'big three' and hopefully get some silverware.
A lot of the problem I believe is a lack of positive mental approach to games against the 'biggies', we need a person who has an appetite for upsetting these teams.