WSL 23/24 | Brighton v United 6:45pm on Sun 5 Nov

StretfordEnd78

Have to accept that the standard across the WSL has improved massively.
Brighton so much better than last season. We got a sneaky peak from them in the FA Cup semi final.
More questions than answers from united.
Geyse body language not great.
Start with Williams and Garcia.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So all of a sudden, those that wanted to rest players for the 'Leicester' game etc are beginning to see it wasn't something we could do at all.
The WSL isn't a walk in the park and now unfortunately United find themselves playing catch-up yet again because of complacency.

croadyman

Great fight at the end but still feel it's 2 points dropped
We did well to come back from a losing position twice,however after the game earlier it does feel like a golden opportunity spurned

Lightbringer

So all of a sudden, those that wanted to rest players for the 'Leicester' game etc are beginning to see it wasn't something we could do at all.
The WSL isn't a walk in the park and now unfortunately United find themselves playing catch-up yet again because of complacency.
I would say rather the opposite. We should have rested players and had fresh players for the UCL game. We barely rested players and still went out of the UCL. I said feck the WSL game vs Leicester and focus
on the UCL games.

Anyway, definitely there are other teams that can threaten than the big 3, especially when you have nobody to finish chances. Same for the game against Leicester, we created some good chances and did not take them while opposition scores on their chance. Then we become tired and being down we dont have any plan when teams are low. And the other team are smelling blood.

I said it last season though, if Skinner would have rotated player and we lost points, fans would demand him fired, actually fans wanted him fired at the beginning/mid of the last season. But also Skinner has to be able to bring in his own transfers into the team and make them mesh with others and so far its not looking great. Time is running out already for UCL qualification, we need to be almost flawless from here on to make the top 3.
---

Last edited:

Lightbringer

They also have a keeper who has a point to prove against us and is playing like it.

geyse is a brilliant player but her decision making needs to improve.. she’s also offside a fair amount. If she can nail those two things down, she’s a top player.
Geyse has scored 2 goals in her last 37 competitive games. So I am not sure if we can count on her beginning to bag goals in the best league in the world suddenly. She should be out wide and use her speed to challenge defenders and get crosses in. The reason Barcelona fans wanted Geyse gone is that she could not finish and had terrible decision making and accuracy in the final 3rd of the pitch.

And I agreed that Geyses body language is not good, she looks like a sulking teenage girl or kid out there. Rachel Williams should be able to teach her a lesson on that right? Rachel is a role model in that regard.

Last edited:

Champ

I would say rather the opposite. We should have rested players and had fresh players for the UCL game. We barely rested players and still went out of the UCL. I said feck the WSL game vs Leicester and focus
on the UCL games.

Anyway, definitely there are other teams that can threaten than the big 3, especially when you have nobody to finish chances. Same for the game against Leicester, we created some good chances and did not take them while opposition scores on their chance. Then we become tired and being down we dont have any plan when teams are low. And the other team are smelling blood.

I said it last season though, if Skinner would have rotated player and we lost points, fans would demand him fired, actually fans wanted him fired at the beginning/mid of the last season. But also Skinner has to be able to bring in his own transfers into the team and make them mesh with others and so far its not looking great. Time is running out already for UCL qualification, we need to be almost flawless from here on to make the top 3.
---
So we're out of the champions League and near enough out of the title race already.
But we should have rested players potentially because we could have been in something or other. ...
I think people need to face facts that the 'second" team are not to the level of the the first eleven, we can afford to 'rest' players without a drop off.

So here we are, with a team a long way short of winning the league, and out of Europe,
Awesome.

Lightbringer

So we're out of the champions League and near enough out of the title race already.
But we should have rested players potentially because we could have been in something or other. ...
I think people need to face facts that the 'second" team are not to the level of the the first eleven, we can afford to 'rest' players without a drop off.

So here we are, with a team a long way short of winning the league, and out of Europe,
Awesome.
The chance of getting into the UCL was worth of resting many players against Leicester, thats what I said then and thats why I sad now. We did something in between and lost 2 points against Leicester. Zelem and several other players played 4 games in 10 days full 90 minutes.

The UCL was the knockout stage, no chance to recover that. If we dropped a point vs Leicester in theory that could be recovered during the season, that was the logic I was using. And on top of that, was it even certain better player on "paper" was going to perform better if they were truly exhausted/tired?

You can view that from different standpoints of course, but I had a lengthy post about it back then in some thread and I have not changed opinion.

That does not mean I disagree with your point of us not having enough world class players as reserves, I just put the chance of making the UCL over one league game. (of course you could argue a single dropped point again LEI could make us not finish 3rd and go for UCL next season)

Something does feel off about this team, I just hope its not Alessia Russo missing :devil:

Champ

The chance of getting into the UCL was worth of resting many players against Leicester, thats what I said then and thats why I sad now. We did something in between and lost 2 points against Leicester. Zelem and several other players played 4 games in 10 days full 90 minutes.

The UCL was the knockout stage, no chance to recover that. If we dropped a point vs Leicester in theory that could be recovered during the season, that was the logic I was using. And on top of that, was it even certain better player on "paper" was going to perform better if they were truly exhausted/tired?

You can view that from different standpoints of course, but I had a lengthy post about it back then in some thread and I have not changed opinion.

That does not mean I disagree with your point of us not having enough world class players as reserves, I just put the chance of making the UCL over one league game. (of course you could argue a single dropped point again LEI could make us not finish 3rd and go for UCL next season)

Something does feel off about this team, I just hope its not Alessia Russo missing :devil:
We do not miss Russo at all, a good player for sure but no where near a game changer.
What United need is belief, from the players and the fans, belief that we can. Actually win stuff, and challenge on all fronts.
So far all I see is ' we need to rest players ' a few games into the season. It's embarrassing. No we don't.
We have a great squad, capable of performing at the top level.
Any missed chance or dropped point is difficult to take but it's solely on the players. They are more than good enough to compete in the league.

ForeverRed1

Geyse has scored 2 goals in her last 37 competitive games. So I am not sure if we can count on her beginning to bag goals in the best league in the world suddenly. She should be out wide and use her speed to challenge defenders and get crosses in. The reason Barcelona fans wanted Geyse gone is that she could not finish and had terrible decision making and accuracy in the final 3rd of the pitch.

And I agreed that Geyses body language is not good, she looks like a sulking teenage girl or kid out there. Rachel Williams should be able to teach her a lesson on that right? Rachel is a role model in that regard.
Yes she only lasted one season at Barcelona if I’m correct? I did notice her body language, she doesn’t look particularly happy out there. Maybe that’s just her own frustration at herself. If her decision making was better she’d of assisted and scored last night though. What we really needed to happen is for her and malard to build a connection on the pitch but that doesn’t look to be clicking just yet.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Geyse was unlucky with the one that hit the post, obviously has skills but not quite clinical enough at the moment

She was top scorer in Spain the year before she joined Barca so hopefully she can get back to that kind of form

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Poor start to the season really - Undefeated sure, but 9 points from 5 games isn't good enough, should be beating Leicester at home and Brighton away.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Poor start to the season really - Undefeated sure, but 9 points from 5 games isn't good enough, should be beating Leicester at home and Brighton away.
Think a lot of teams have improved, but it is if we have. We lost two big players for us and it is the ones have improved us or just added numbers.

Demon Barber

I'm not too worried about the result. We did well to come back twice. We are 6th, four points off top, and the only unbeaten side with Chelsea.

I've said this before, but I would go all out to get Daly in January. She is exactly what we need. (Yes, I am aware of the speculation as far as romances are concerned)