WSL 23/24 | United v City at OT - Sun 19 Nov at 4:30pm

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Putting this thread up early as United have started selling tickets.

Price for the OT match has gone up this season, but it's the derby so I don't think that'll be too much of a dampener. I'm hoping United push this one - it's time.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
With City losing to Brighton and us beating West Ham, we've moved up into third place. They're two points behind us in sixth place.

Our first ever WSL match saw us lose 1-0 to City at the Etihad. Since then things have been pretty even between us and we beat them 2-1 at Leigh Sports Village last year. We had a crowd of 7864 at that match.

How many will we get at Old Trafford - goals, points, spectators? Chelsea manager Emma Hayes said it costs them about £300k to open Stamford Bridge for Chelsea women's team. I've not heard an equivalent number for OT but at £15/ticket I guess United need to do some serious selling.

Match is live on Sky.

AmarilloMike

This is my first season as a season ticket holder, been having a great time at LSV so far! The Wren is a great gathering place before games, is there a particular pub near OT that we tend to gather at? Used to go to Sam Platts following the men years ago, but that's been flattened!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This is my first season as a season ticket holder, been having a great time at LSV so far! The Wren is a great gathering place before games, is there a particular pub near OT that we tend to gather at? Used to go to Sam Platts following the men years ago, but that's been flattened!
Obviously going to be a lot more people than a LSV match (36k tickets sold so far) so the fans will be spread at various pubs - I assume the same options as a Men's match will be open

Nearest the ground you have Hotel Football, Bishops Blaize and The Trafford

Bit further away you can check out The Tollgate or The Quadrant

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The club have at least done a decent job of promoting this one, although I was speaking to someone just yesterday who was trying to purchase adult & kids tickets but gave up as the website was creating problems with the concessions

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The club have at least done a decent job of promoting this one, although I was speaking to someone just yesterday who was trying to purchase adult & kids tickets but gave up as the website was creating problems with the concessions
I've seen the concessions problem before. I think the system gets messed up because it's built around selling men's team tickets to members.

When tickets go on open sale, some things seem to start misbehaving - at least that seemed to be what was happening last season.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I've seen the concessions problem before. I think the system gets messed up because it's built around selling men's team tickets to members.

When tickets go on open sale, some things seem to start misbehaving - at least that seemed to be what was happening last season.
Ye I think you are right, they system is not set up for WSL matches at OT - my friend said they just bought adult tickets in the end as it was too much bother to try and get the kids price and it's still cheap compared to a PL match.

Demon Barber

Ye I think you are right, they system is not set up for WSL matches at OT - my friend said they just bought adult tickets in the end as it was too much bother to try and get the kids price and it's still cheap compared to a PL match.
I know I've said this before, but I get my away tickets from the home clubs because it is so much easier. I just phone the ticket office, speak to a friendly human, pay and receive my tickets. Old school, but peculiarly satisfying.

Demon Barber

I will be there. Well over 40k tickets sold now. The team selection will be interesting, especially as Parris has played so well, but I expect her and Ladd to miss out.

Earps

Riviere
Le Tissier
Turner
Blundell

Zelem
Miyazawa
Toone

Geyse
Malard
Galton

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I will also be there

Id be tempted to start Ladd and Parris for Malard + Miyazawa, just gives a bit of extra strength and experience for the big WSL game

nice to have some selection headaches anyway with Garcia also an option

Demon Barber

I will also be there

Id be tempted to start Ladd and Parris for Malard + Miyazawa, just gives a bit of extra strength and experience for the big WSL game

nice to have some selection headaches anyway with Garcia also an option
The depth we have now (apart from full-backs) is impressive. I would not grumble about Ladd and Parris starting, and you may well be right. Who knows? It's fun though.

FlexoRodriguez

Is Jade fully fit? She went off with a knock (I think?) against West Ham, but haven't read anything about it, so presume (hope!) she is 100%

Edit - just watched the press conference, she is fine. Just me worrying about what would happen if she (or any of the back line) get injured....!

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ye they have gone all out to promote this match - I hope the ticket glitches have not put too many off

Lightbringer

Ye they have gone all out to promote this match - I hope the ticket glitches have not put too many off
They should introduce the ladies more and more on the main channels on IG, twitter and and facebook. If they do it all the time the people complaining will sooner or later learn to live with it! It can only be positive with more visibility, some people might head over also and follow the womens channels. This team is incredible likeable so its easy to get sucked in :)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Katie Zelem injured her head in the last match - but there was no concussion and no problems afterwards, so she's fit for Sunday.

Evie Rabjohn has an injured foot so won't be available for this one. Irene Guerrero is still a couple of weeks away from playing again.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
45k sold for tomorrow now - tickets still available even on the day so hopefully push closer to 50

Lightbringer

45k sold for tomorrow now - tickets still available even on the day so hopefully push closer to 50
YAY, lets keep it up!

Will United announce attendance as sold tickets or attending fans passing through the gates?According to my understanding Arsenal are announcing sold tickets as attendance despite 10 000 - 15 000 tickets being unused on some of their games last season. All teams need to follow the same procedures.

Last edited:

Demon Barber

YAY, lets keep it up!

Will United announce attendance as sold tickets or attending fans passing through the gates?According to my understanding Arsenal are announcing sold tickets as attendance despite 10 000 - 15 000 tickets being unused on some of their games last season. All teams need to follow the same procedures.
I imagine it is tickets sold. Not every ST holder will be able to attend, for example. I'm pretty sure that all clubs base attendances on tickets sold. That said, there will still be a healthy and vocal crowd for the game.

Lightbringer

I imagine it is tickets sold. Not every ST holder will be able to attend, for example. I'm pretty sure that all clubs base attendances on tickets sold. That said, there will still be a healthy and vocal crowd for the game.
In sweden attendance is based on people passing to the gates = fans attending the game, not sold tickets. I am pretty sure that Man United announced less attendance at one of the games at Old Trafford last season that what they had announced as "tickets sold" before the game start, but I could be wrong. It would be good if I could check that up though, so I dont spread misinformation :-)

But its stupid to announce sold tickets as attendance especially when you have the big games at arenas where the clubs have given away free tickets to team, schools, sponsors that fail to show. I am sure that was even more of an issue when clubs started with womens teams on big stadiums. I do remember Arsenal playing at the emirates once where you could question if it was 10 000 - 20 000 less fans in the seats than attendance announced just based on the eye test.

cj_sparky

In sweden attendance is based on people passing to the gates = fans attending the game, not sold tickets. I am pretty sure that Man United announced less attendance at one of the games at Old Trafford last season that what they had announced as "tickets sold" before the game start, but I could be wrong. It would be good if I could check that up though, so I dont spread misinformation :-)

But its stupid to announce sold tickets as attendance especially when you have the big games at arenas where the clubs have given away free tickets to team, schools, sponsors that fail to show. I am sure that was even more of an issue when clubs started with womens teams on big stadiums. I do remember Arsenal playing at the emirates once where you could question if it was 10 000 - 20 000 less fans in the seats than attendance announced just based on the eye test.
First game of last season for the Women's team against Reading was spoken of as a 7,000 sell out. I think the through the gates number was in the mid to high 4,000s. I said in that thread last year that an FA Cup final was advertised as 70,000 odd tickets sold (although some are given away as you pointed out) and the actual attendance was 46,000.

Demon Barber

On reflection I think you are right. United announced an attendance of just 4396 for the game against West Ham at LSV, despite all STs having sold out.

Lightbringer

First game of last season for the Women's team against Reading was spoken of as a 7,000 sell out. I think the through the gates number was in the mid to high 4,000s. I said in that thread last year that an FA Cup final was advertised as 70,000 odd tickets sold (although some are given away as you pointed out) and the actual attendance was 46,000.
Which means Arsenals attendance records and overall attendance are highly manipulated for PR reasons. And the WSL are letting them get away with it. All clubs should measure attendance the same way, otherwise its just pointless.

My club Hammarby in sweden has around 2000-3000 people that have bought tickets that dont show up to almost every game, I guess its season ticket holders that cant make it to every game.

Demon Barber

Which means Arsenals attendance records and overall attendance are highly manipulated for PR reasons. And the WSL are letting them get away with it. All clubs should measure attendance the same way, otherwise its just pointless.

My club Hammarby in sweden has around 2000-3000 people that have bought tickets that dont show up to almost every game, I guess its season ticket holders that cant make it to every game.
Agreed.

For those who haven't seen it, here is the 56 page official match programme for tomorrow. That's saved me £2!

https://issuu.com/manchester_united/docs/muw_v_man_city_wsl_19_nov_2023_interactive_digi

Lightbringer

Change it to 'Will you watch ...'

No doubt that anyone attending is already in the Women's Forum
Well, they have start somewhere if we are to get more fans to games :-) But the interest for that threads shows most people dont care still. I see on the main United forum folks dont even understand whats happening at Old Trafford and thinks the dude writing for Uniteds social media accounts have made a mistake that its a game on sunday :nono: :lol:

Lightbringer

On reflection I think you are right. United announced an attendance of just 4396 for the game against West Ham at LSV, despite all STs having sold out.
I guess we will see tomorrow if the announced attendance is 45 000+, if its under that we can be sure United is operating the same way as before - the honest way!

Demon Barber

Sweet. I will give it a read.

Big thanks to you and @Rood and all the other that attend the womens games, its you that makes everything possible!
No worries. The game will only grow. Next Sunday I am taking two friends to the match at Bristol City. They have never been before but I'm pretty sure they will be hooked.

Demon Barber

Horrible weather here, but hey, what's new? Just seen the team news ... Naalsund starts, no Riviere. Galton at LB??? Parris, Geyse and Malard up front.