WSL Cup: United Women v Reading | 25 August | United lose 0-2

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Saturday 25 August at 12:00
Leigh Sports Village

The second game of our group matches in the WSL Continental Cup.

Reading came 4th (behind Chelsea, City, Arsenal) in WSL1 last year, largely on the basis of playing good football, good recruitment and a good youth academy. No major upheavals with managers or players so we're up against a stable team. They beat Durham 4-1 in their first match of the Cup, so they're ready to play.

Tickets on the gate or a bit cheaper ahead of time on:
https://www.manutd.com/en/matches/women/2018-19/all

MUTV have the game.

Grande

Saturday 25 August at 12:00
Leigh Sports Village

The second game of our group matches in the WSL Continental Cup.

Reading came 4th (behind Chelsea, City, Arsenal) in WSL1 last year, largely on the basis of playing good football, good recruitment and a good youth academy. No major upheavals with managers or players so we're up against a stable team. They beat Durham 4-1 in their first match of the Cup, so they're ready to play.

Tickets on the gate or a bit cheaper ahead of time on:
https://www.manutd.com/en/matches/women/2018-19/all

MUTV have the game.
I love to say this, but ... Reading are going to be a much tougher opponent than Liverpool. I expect us to be given a little lesson by a well versed top team in this one.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's my daughter's birthday the following day and so I will be taking her out somewhere for a treat and will have to miss this. I'm tempted to record and watch later as it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid the score in theory.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Hospitality offer - that's a meal and a seat, £40/head.

I'm not sure why the price for the Women's team is higher than for the version done for the U23s, but there we go - maybe they include a healthy options menu :smirk:. They aren't even promising to have Fred the Red in the café before the game.

RedPamie

Not going to be easy. Reading is a good team. They were 4th last season (even beat City in April) and managed to retain most of the first team players. Better than Liverpool and Everton (other WSL teams in our group) in my opinion.

Good players such as Lauren Bruton , Fara Williams (scored hattrick vs Durham), Kirsty Pearce, Natasha Harding, Gema Davison, Millie Farrow and Maz Pacheco. Although Farrow was not available vs Durham and Pacheco is still on England U20 duty.

I don't know about their keeper now, but losing Mary Earps to Wolfsburg is a big blow for them.

This will be a good test for the girls. If we manage to get a draw (then penalty shoot out) or even win, we'll go through to KO stage for sure. And not to mention getting the winning aura around the team.

Last edited:

Grande

Not going to be easy. Reading is a good team. They were 4th last season (even beat City in April) and managed to retain most of the first team players. Better than Liverpool and Everton (other WSL teams in our group) in my opinion.

Good players such as Lauren Bruton , Fara Williams (scored hattrick vs Durham), Kirsty Pearce, Natasha Harding, Gema Davison, Millie Farrow and Maz Pacheco. Although Farrow was not available vs Durham and Pacheco is still on England U20 duty.

I don't know about their keeper now, but losing Mary Earps to Wolfsburg is a big blow for them.

This will be a good test for the girls. If we manage to get a draw (then penalty shoot out) or even win, we'll go through to KO stage for sure. And not to mention getting the winning aura around the team.
Another upset would be nice! Are we even fourth favourite in the group to begin with? How many go through to the next stage again?

Fara Williams is certainly still very good, and Natasha Harding and Gemma Davison experienced internationals. I don’t think they will be content with a draw.

RedPamie

Another upset would be nice! Are we even fourth favourite in the group to begin with? How many go through to the next stage again?

Fara Williams is certainly still very good, and Natasha Harding and Gemma Davison experienced internationals. I don’t think they will be content with a draw.
Two teams to the next stage.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think this match is free entry for Old Trafford season ticket holders - I got an email offering a ticket for free anyway. I know absolutely nothing about womens footy but may go down if I can work out a way to get to Leigh Sports Village - anyone got any ideas about public transport options? Unless you drive, it doesnt seem that well connected unfortunately

abdul jabbar

That is me out of this game! United offering some free tickets to Old Trafford season ticket holders? This is scaring me. I planned to take my little boys as I was hoping of a low turn out around 1200 (selfish I know). Big turn-out means awkward logistic and less of a family outing. What to do.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersons Dietician

336mile trip and 6hrs by car but I’m pretty tempted. Live on MUTV or pre recorded?

Edit: actually forgot about the return journey:houllier: 672miles and 12hrs of driving, not as tempted anymore.

RedPamie

Confirmed. We did play vs them in preseason.
https://www.wokinghampaper.com/prev...omen-royals-confident-ahead-of-exciting-trip/

But Chambers will have some idea of what to expect against Casey Stoney’s United having played against them in pre-season.

“They’ve got an exciting young team,” said the Royals boss.

“They’ve very organised and even though their players have been in and around the WSL, they’re still a very young side and they’re going to be doing a lot of learning.

“They won’t be used to people like Durham that have been in the league for a long time, know how to defend and they’re physical, they’re tough and they’re not easy to beat.

“But it’s going to be an exciting game on Saturday and it’s nice to see clubs like that now in the women’s game and hopefully pushing it on and bringing it to another level.”

RedPamie

336mile trip and 6hrs by car but I’m pretty tempted. Live on MUTV or pre recorded?

Edit: actually forgot about the return journey:houllier: 672miles and 12hrs of driving, not as tempted anymore.
Live and replay will be shown few times after that, during the week.

RedPamie

Also
Rachel Furness, Remi Allen, Jade Moore, Charlie Estcourt and new signing Millie Farrow are injured while Maz Pacheco has been away with the England Under-20s.

Oh, that makes it a little bit easier to beat them on paper. Jade Moore is the physical player in the team although they did win vs Durham, a team that some pundits say will win the Women's Championship based on their physicality and toughness.

I guess the girls need that boxing lessons after all. Bring it on :devil:.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That is me out of this game! United offering some free tickets to Old Trafford season ticket holders? This is scaring me. I planned to take my little boys as I was hoping of a low turn out around 1200 (selfish I know). Big turn-out means awkward logistic and less of a family outing. What to do.....
Found out that it is only Gold and Platinum ST holders who have been offered free tickets so I doubt that means a big turnout but should still be decent. Apparently 2 stands will be open - I am still hoping to make it.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think this match is free entry for Old Trafford season ticket holders - I got an email offering a ticket for free anyway. I know absolutely nothing about womens footy but may go down if I can work out a way to get to Leigh Sports Village - anyone got any ideas about public transport options? Unless you drive, it doesnt seem that well connected unfortunately
Do a google maps search and use the public transport option. That will give you all the info you need to get there.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Do a google maps search and use the public transport option. That will give you all the info you need to get there.
ye I did that and it came up with an epic 2hr journey compared to 25min drive - seems Leigh is not well connected but I think I have sorted a ride

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
ye I did that and it came up with an epic 2hr journey compared to 25min drive - seems Leigh is not well connected but I think I have sorted a ride
Christ, just checked for myself and it would only take me an extra hour to walk as opposed to public transport.

Dudu

Reading team

United team unchanged supposedly.

Shocking that our own twitter feed have yet to post the lineups.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Andersons Dietician

Just watching the pre match build up and showed last weeks goal and I was struck with this really weird sense of joy watching that go in, even tho I had watched it when it happened. @Raoul is it just me or does Lizzie Arnot look a dead ringer for JJ Joanna? Or anyone else who knows who Joanna Jędrzejczyk is.

Dudu

An okay crowd on show, although a little disappointed it isn't larger. Hopefully a win here will help bring more fans to the ground in future games.

Kick off. Lets go United! :devil:

Just watching the pre match build up and showed last weeks goal and I was struck with this really weird sense of joy watching that go in, even tho I had watched it when it happened.
It really was. Never thought i'd enjoy it as much as i did too - beating Liverpool is also a factor I guess. And to cap it off, the reaction from the team itself :drool:

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Just watching the pre match build up and showed last weeks goal and I was struck with this really weird sense of joy watching that go in, even tho I had watched it when it happened. @Raoul is it just me or does Lizzie Arnot look a dead ringer for JJ Joanna? Or anyone else who knows who Joanna Jędrzejczyk is.
I live in Poland, I definitely know who she is. I wouldn't say dead ringer, similar though.

MiceOnMeth

Can someone PM a stream for this? The mutv stream on mobdro is dogshite..

Andersons Dietician

I live in Poland, I definitely know who she is. I wouldn't say dead ringer, similar though.
Aye dead ringer certainly a bit too strong on my part but certain resembelences.

Side note Sigsworth how did you not finish that.
@Dudu same I don’t know what it is, it feels like proper football and probably the fact they look overjoyed to be playing and playing for United, they are just playing with a sort of freedom And it’s infectious.

Andersons Dietician

I know right, good pass for it though.
Yeah very good pass. This is only my 2nd time ever seeing Sigsworth except for the few YT vids I saw but I really like her, she just seems like a bit of an old school striker constant movement, always hustling,fighting just getting about roughing people up but always kinda looks like she is never happy or having a moan at the ref or whoever she has decided deserves it. Hopefully she’ll get a goal today.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Yeah very good pass. This is only my 2nd time ever seeing Sigsworth except for the few YT vids I saw but I really like her, she just seems like a bit of an old school striker constant movement, always hustling,fighting just getting about roughing people up but always kinda looks like she is never happy or having a moan at the ref or whoever she has decided deserves it. Hopefully she’ll get a goal today.
Yeah, not seen much of her either besides last week but she seems to be a good player.

By god, could have scored 3 times on that corner.

Andersons Dietician

Greenwood’s left is a bit of a wand is it not, her deliveries are so good. Our RB is it Smith? She’s looked a bit shaky like.

Nick7

Another good game so far. That Reading #19 is quite speedy. Looks one of the faster players on the pitch.

Andersons Dietician

Big Ed in the crowd, looking like an absolute player with his shades on. I always imagine him being like a character from Wolf on Wall Street.

Good game, tasty tackles going in, no rolling about like you’ve just been shot, just getting back up and going again.