WTO rules against EU on GM Crops or "Frankenstein Foods". US imports must go ahead.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
>>>>>>>>>>

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Trade Organization, in a closely watched ruling, decreed on Tuesday that the European Union and six member states broke trade rules by barring entry to genetically modified crops and foods, diplomats said.

The preliminary decision, contained in a confidential verdict sent to the parties to the dispute, followed a complaint against the EU brought by the United States, Argentina and Canada.

In a 1,000-page report, which diplomats said they were still seeking to digest, WTO trade judges said the EU applied an effective moratorium on GMO imports for six years from 1998. Moratoriums are barred under WTO rules.

"The panel confirmed that there was a moratorium, and that is not allowed," said one diplomat who had seen the findings.

"Members' safeguard measures have also been condemned," he said in reference to the complaint against individual market and import bans imposed by France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Luxembourg and Greece.

But diplomats said that other parts of the WTO ruling, which also covered individual crops and foods, were more mixed, although they were still wading through the detail.

Diplomats and industry watchers had forecast the EU could come off worst in the case in which the three complainants argued that the moratorium on GMO approvals hurt their exports and was not based on science.

The ruling was keenly awaited by the world's biotech industry which would like to ship far more GMOs to Europe.

Europe's shoppers are known for their wariness toward GMO products, often dubbed as "Frankenstein foods". Opposition is estimated at more than 70 percent, a stark contrast to the United States where they are far more widely accepted.

U.S. farmers say the EU ban cost them some $300 million a year in lost sales while it was in effect since many U.S. agricultural products, including most U.S. corn, were effectively barred from entering EU markets

<<<<<<<<<

Related source :: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=a7VHXqxs19zA&refer=europe

Do you care? Are you one of the more than 70% said to be opposed to GM here in Europe?

Friends of the Earth claim, that this ruling will in fact strengthen the resolve and opposition of consumers and other groups within European countries, do you agree?

Personally, i am opposed to GM, i don't think that a single GMO should be planted here in the British Isles. And clear labelling on all products and restaurant menus if such ingredients are included. The US was strongly opposed to the labelling of products even.

I am no advocate of the EU, i would gladly see the organisation as it is come to an end this very minute, but in this case, I agree with their stance.

The US, Canadians and Argentinians should look elsewhere as far as i am concerned. Some counties in California have in recent years declared themselves as "GM Free or Non GM zones".

Looking Busy

Am i missing something in there but it stats by saying the EU was wrong to stop US imports of GM food, and in the second bit it says the EU was wrong to allow GM foods in