Television Wu-Tang: An American Saga (TV series)

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s a weird one. It’s well made and put together, and some of the performances are really good (Shameik Moore as Raekwon and the guy playing ODB in particular, whilst Dave East as Meth looks absolutely nothing like him but makes a decent first of it when speaking & rapping) and all the parts where they’re making music and showing little glimmers of what they’ll eventually become are really fun... and yet they’re only about 15-20% of the show - at best - whilst the rest of it spends an all together too long and laborious amount of time following the corner drug running operation and general tribulations of Rza’s older brother and his business rival in a really sub par The Wire wannabe street hustling show ...

And while these two will admittedly become cogs in the Wu empire themselves (Manager and....the founder of Wu-Wear I think?) it’s just really not the kind of shit you’re desperate to see from the vast majority of a Wu-Tang television show, especially as you’ve seen it all done a lot better in other things (it certainly doesn’t help when Marlo turns up in an episode just to remind you of how much this isn’t The Wire)

It’s....a thing. And not a bad thing. But also not a thing that particularly grips you either.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It’s a weird one. It’s well made and put together, and some of the performances are really good (Shameik Moore as Raekwon and the guy playing ODB in particular, whilst Dave East as Meth looks absolutely nothing like him but makes a decent first of it when speaking & rapping) and all the parts where they’re making music and showing little glimmers of what they’ll eventually become are really fun... and yet they’re only about 15-20% of the show - at best - whilst the rest of it spends an all together too long and laborious amount of time following the corner drug running operation and general tribulations of Rza’s older brother and his business rival in a really sub par The Wire wannabe street hustling show ...

And while these two will admittedly become cogs in the Wu empire themselves (Manager and....the founder of Wu-Wear I think?) it’s just really not the kind of shit you’re desperate to see from the vast majority of a Wu-Tang television show, especially as you’ve seen it all done a lot better in other things (it certainly doesn’t help when Marlo turns up in an episode just to remind you of how much this isn’t The Wire)

It’s....a thing. And not a bad thing. But also not a thing that particularly grips you either.
I'm 4 episodes in, and I agree with this, based on what I've seen so far. It's well acted, but not particularly well cast for a show that is depicting the lives of already well known people. Nobody really looks or sounds like who they're supposed to be, except ODB. Unlike Straight Outta Compton, which is incredibly well cast (though Cube is played by Cube Jr, so probably an unfair comparison).

I was thinking the same about it being a half baked The Wire midway into episode 2.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah, Ghostface in particular is annoying as he not only looks nothing like him but he also sounds a good 2 octaves lower when he raps... which is pretty much one of the defining things about Ghostface’s rapping FFS!

The guy doing ODB is great though. However it is the best role.

OL29

Yeah, Ghostface in particular is annoying as he not only looks nothing like him but he also sounds a good 2 octaves lower when he raps... which is pretty much one of the defining things about Ghostface’s rapping FFS!

Yeah, he does have that Ghostface energy when he gets mad though, I think we’ll see more from him once his character develops.
It’s the guy playing RZA I’m not impressed with, he doesn’t have the charisma and considering the show’s centred around him, it’s disappointing.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I haven't read much about the show, I'm assuming it's heavily fictionalised and that Ghost and Rae didn't try to kill each other numerous times before the group started?

OL29

I haven't read much about the show, I'm assuming it's heavily fictionalised and that Ghost and Rae didn't try to kill each other numerous times before the group started?
There's an interview with Papa Wu who says they used to shoot at each other but I think it's exaggerated, I think they just ran with opposite factions. Rae said in an interview that he never clashed with Ghost on a personal level like that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

ODB and Methodman are perfectly casted.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Late to the party here but partway through Series 2 at the moment - it's not what I was expecting and like you say a very slow burner but just enough going on to keep me interested

TBH you could easily skip the whole of series 1 and only major plot line you miss is RZA as Prince Rakeem but there is a lot of character development going on with the rest of the clan

Series 2 so far is a vast improvement and probably what most would expect from a Wu Tang series

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Actually thats pretty much the focus of the whole first series !

I am not sure how much is fact and how much fiction