X Factor US 2011

mjs020294

Unless the woman has got a voice like Adele or Beyonce I don't think it deserves my attention really. It's just been done to death so much.
Fleet Foxes, Slayer, Jay Z, Beyonce, Pink Floyd. That's talent.
The point is there are people with incredible voices and talent on the program. There was a girl on the last AI that had a far superior voice to Adele or Beyonce, and she went out early.

The US X-Factor has some amazing talent. Josh has a fantastic voice. Drew has a very unique voice and she is very creative. There are at least half a dozen others that are very talented.

The UK may have very mediocre talent but the standard of talent they have found in the US is ridiculous.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The point is there are people with incredible voices and talent on the program. There was a girl on the last AI that had a far superior voice to Adele or Beyonce, and she went out early.

The US X-Factor has some amazing talent. Josh has a fantastic voice. Drew has a very unique voice and she is very creative. There are at least half a dozen others that are very talented.

The UK may have very mediocre talent but the standard of talent they have found in the US is ridiculous.
Really? I doubt that. That would make her the best singer in the world.

mjs020294

Really? I doubt that. That would make her the best singer in the world.
What nonsense. Neither of those two are regarded anywhere near the greatest in the world. Female vocalist tend to get measured against the likes of Whitney Houston and Celine Dion. Its always considered a huge risk taking on one of their signature songs because few measure up.

Pia Toscano nailed a few very difficult songs she was outstanding. Not the best quality but during the show I crank the good performances up on my home theater and her voice was stunning.

Snow

Nonsense? Beyonce has quite the vocal range and has worked on her singing all her life. To say someone is far superior to her is to say that someone is the best in the world unless you count opera singing the best kind.

mjs020294

Nonsense? Beyonce has quite the vocal range and has worked on her singing all her life. To say someone is far superior to her is to say that someone is the best in the world unless you count opera singing the best kind.
I have heard Beyonce live a few times, actually she has appeared on American Idol. She is a great singer but she isn't up there with the Celine and Whitney's. Pia's range and power was quite spectacular.

Back to your original statement "Unless the woman has got a voice like Adele or Beyonce I don't think it deserves my attention really." There have been quite a few singers that have had voices to compare.

Snow

I have heard Beyonce live a few times, actually she has appeared on American Idol. She is a great singer but she isn't up there with the Celine and Whitney's. Pia's range and power was quite spectacular.
The Celine and Whitney's? Are there many people like that?

I don't know why I have to stand up for her like that. I'm not a fan of pop music in general. She's certainly better than all the others since we're talking about it. Critics and people like Simon Cowell say that no one can rival her besides the people who sing professionally in operas. I don't know if you can really get higher praises than she's gotten. And it's not because of the business. There aren't many singers like her that get that kind of talk. 1-2 per decade. Whitney, Mariah, Aretha, Celine, Dionne Warwick. There aren't that many names that crop up but Beyonce is one of them.

And to say that someone on American Idol is far much superior after having seen her sing on television a few times is quite strange. Especially since it's a contest where surely others would pick up on it as well, most likely the judges who have the power to keep the contestant on despite the votes. And it was the 5th time she auditioned. Maybe, just maybe, professionals like Randy Jackson would have picked up on such a talent.

mjs020294

Especially since it's a contest where surely others would pick up on it as well, most likely the judges who have the power to keep the contestant on despite the votes. .
They had already used the save when Pia got voted off. I think the public thought she was a sure fire bet to progress so people phone in for others.

There aren't that many names that crop up but Beyonce is one of them.

I have never heard anyone single Beyonce out has one of the great singers. She has a very good voice, is amazing looking, and has been very well managed and marketed. Her image and career are spectacular her voice isn't.

EricaNo7

some of the talent discovered on these shows has been staggering, I think.
Pia was amazing, superb voice, Adam Lambert is another, truly spectacular.

This year there are actually four or five who are superb. I like Chris Rene the best for some reason, although Simon was right in saying he didn't have the best voice in the competition, but I don't think it's any coincidence L A Reid got his group.

Josh is spellbinding , he will go far too. Actually LeRoy is excellent too. Compare that to our version!

mjs020294

some of the talent discovered on these shows has been staggering, I think.
Pia was amazing, superb voice, Adam Lambert is another, truly spectacular.
Some great talent but not many make it big. There is a hell of a lot of luck and timing involved with becoming a big star. Carey Underwood is the only one that has made it to super star status. Many have pretty decent careers though. Even Kelly Pickler is making a few million a year now, and she was pretty average. Even if they just get a bit of exposure and end up working on Broadway or a cruise line they do OK.

Pia is a mystery to me though, she had it all.

EricaNo7

Some great talent but not many make it big. There is a hell of a lot of luck and timing involved with becoming a big star. Carey Underwood is the only one that has made it to super star status. Many have pretty decent careers though. Even Kelly Pickler is making a few million a year now, and she was pretty average. Even if they just get a bit of exposure and end up working on Broadway or a cruise line they do OK.

I was surprised too . As for last year I ended up liking Hayley the most as the two in the final were terribly boring . I believe Pia is making an album though - great voice
In

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea

Kelly Clarkson perhaps?

It depends what you determine as successful, if they now have a career in the music industry, if they have a better standard of living than before then that is ultimately all that matters for them.

Snow

Kelly Clarkson perhaps?

It depends what you determine as successful, if they now have a career in the music industry, if they have a better standard of living than before then that is ultimately all that matters for them.
Nah. She's just sold millions of records. Jennifer Hudson only won and Oscar.

Daughtry had at least two songs hitting it worldwide, about as much as Carrie, and Clay Aiken is a gay icon.

Carrie has perhaps sold the most but she's still less famous than Kelly Clarkson. Bet you not that many outside the states that would know her that haven't seen her from American Idol. That's country for ya.

mjs020294

Kelly Clarkson perhaps?

I didn't say others haven't been successful. Underwood whether you like country or not (I don't BTW), has elevated herself to super star status. She has won multiple grammys, and been a two time ACM Entertainer of the Year, actually the first back-to-back winner ever.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I haven't seem them yet, they look very polished as it is.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I am not a big fan of Chris either, I am surprised they rated him so highly just a couple of songs after Astro who could rap him off the continent.

Josh seems to be the most consistent and is the best of the power singers though I was surprised by Rachel. Marcus also appears to be rising in stature.

Stereo Hogzz I think are going backwards, I was surprised by what they sang. Lakoda Rayne annoy me - mostly for the name, how do you come up with a name like that? - I think they will be gone before long unless they take it to another level.

Tibs

Watched it last night...and they make the UK X-Factor singers look shite.

The last girl who performed was fantastic! They would walk it in our version

Tibs

Seriously I think from the current UK crop..only Marcus would stand a chance of competing with them for a few rounds

Cold_Boy

Drew and Josh are the best overall imo.

But yeah some really really talented singers all of them.

I hate that Stacy Francis so much btw. Too fake with those tears and all every single time.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
Oh my gosh. I so didn't want to like the little oik but Astro just blew me away!

Yes, it's Friday night...and I'm in watching X-Factor :o

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
The M&S ad really irritates me. Especially Craig's face and Janet's voice.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
That result was ridiculous, the judges have lost the plot.

How could they save Lakoda Rayne after that sing off? And what the hell was Nicole on about - 'I am about female empowerment'? Using that as part of a reason to make a decision is completely wrong.

Only last week Simon said that the Stereo Hogzz were the best band in the world, tactical voting all the way.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger

How could they save Lakoda Rayne after that sing off? And what the hell was Nicole on about - 'I am about female empowerment'? Using that as part of a reason to make a decision is completely wrong.

Only last week Simon said that the Stereo Hogzz were the best band in the world, tactical voting all the way.
To be fair, they're kinda rubbish.

EricaNo7

I was shocked personally

Amir

Thing is, they are in the bottom two one week, they are in the bottom two the second week. Maybe it's just time to go.

mjs020294

What amazes me is Stacey didn't think she should go. There are a few that are very obviously not good enough to win: Leroy, Lakoda Rayne and Stacey. I think Astro and Rachel are real outside shots as well. Actually Astro will probably be bottom two every week after his tantrums.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Paula and Nicole don't really have much of a clue in successfully mentoring their acts - Josh will be fine but none of the others will reach the top six or so.

mjs020294

Paula and Nicole don't really have much of a clue in successfully mentoring their acts - Josh will be fine but none of the others will reach the top six or so.
I don't agree there. The groups were always going to struggle because voters don't relate to them the same. The over 30s just don't have the same talent or appeal. Stacey was OK but annoying, Leroy is a good singer but a little boring.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I don't agree there. The groups were always going to struggle because voters don't relate to them the same. The over 30s just don't have the same talent or appeal. Stacey was OK but annoying, Leroy is a good singer but a little boring.
Though that is what the judges are there for to correct those differences, would Marcus or Rachel for instance be as well regarded now if they were under Paula's tutelage? I doubt it myself.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Stacey really did think she was better than she was . Some of her later performances were toe curling. Melanie has an amazing voice
She's wonderful.

The biggest problem with this competition is that they try to make someone like Drew sing Rock. Why? What's the point in getting someone like her to sing rock, hip-hop, or any other genre other than her own as she will never ever release a song like that. It makes no sense to me.

IMHO they should have a do your own material week. That would really sort the wheat from the chaff. Covers every week is starting to get boring.