X-File 05 - Dowsing, divination.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The BBC's Genevieve Bicknell experiences the practice at first hand when searching fo an underground stream at the family home in the Pyrenees :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7699731.stm

Wikipedia -

Dowsing, sometimes called divining, doodlebugging (in the US), or (when searching specifically for water) water finding or water witching, is a practice that attempts to locate hidden water wells, buried metals or ores, gemstones, or other objects as well as currents of earth radiation without the use of scientific apparatus. A Y- or L-shaped twig or rod is sometimes used during dowsing, although some dowsers use other equipment or no equipment at all.

Dowsing has been in use since ancient times and is still widely practiced although the scientific evidence for its efficacy is disputed.[1] In the 1980s German physicists undertook a large experimental study of dowsing and concluded that a "real core of dowser-phenomena can be regarded as empirically proven", while physiologist J. T. Enright wrote that those same experiments provided "the most convincing disproof imaginable that dowsers can do what they claim.

For full article :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

nimic

something nice
Scout
Further down in the Wikipedia article:

More recently, a study[11] was undertaken in Kassel, Germany, under the direction of the Gesellschaft zur Wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften (GWUP) [Society for the Scientific Investigation of the Parasciences]. The three-day test of some 30 dowsers involved plastic pipes through which a large flow of water could be controlled and directed. The pipes were buried 50 centimeters under a level field. On the surface, the position of each pipe was marked with a colored stripe, so all the dowsers had to do was tell whether there was water running through the pipe. All the dowsers signed a statement agreeing this was a fair test of their abilities and that they expected a 100 percent success rate. However, the results were no better than what would have been expected by chance.
Dowsing is as much of a pseudo-science as homeopathy or faith healing. In cases like this it's dangerous just to look at one study which concludes for or against, and from that draw a conclusion. Rather, it's best to look at several, and unless you cherry pick the studies the result will be that the vast majority show that these "phenomenons" either have no better results than would be expected from pure chance (dowsing), or at best replicate the placebo-effect (faith healing, homeopathy).

DoctorEvil

Plainly speaking, dowsing is bullshit. The underlying mechanism is the Ideomotor effect, namely unconscious movements which move the instrument. In fact, dowsing instrument are invariably made so that they react to small movements.

Due to this effect it is crucial to maintain proper test conditions, in which both the dowser and the testers do not know where the targets are. With proper test conditions, dowsers simply fail.

DoctorEvil

The one million dollar challenge is a test for people who claim that they have a paranormal ability. A dowser who can prove his ability under proper test conditions (see my previous post) will not only win a backload of money, but will also become world famous. So far, no one have even managed to pass the preliminary test. (If anyone is interested, I can explain more about the test.)

Interestingly, several of the tests were of dowsers. One example can be found in the link above. Another (preliminary) test was held yesterday. The dowser, Mrs. Connie Sonne has failed to pass the test. This test was unique as it was held in front of a live audience. It is rumoured that one Evil Doctor was, in fact, there. If there is interest, and I am not too lazy (a big if), I will try to describe it in detail.

DoctorEvil

So when they get it right [find water] it is always mere...coincidence?
Possibly. When I said fail I was imprecise.

The typical claim is that they can find something with an accuracy which is better than chance. When a proper test is set up one prepare several targets, some contain water, while some do not. The dowser then gets several attempts at finding his target. The number of successes needed to pass is agreed in advance. In such a test the dowser may be able to find a target, or even a few and still fail.

Here is an example of such a test:
Example of a test (dowsing)
In 1979 Randi tested four people in Italy for dowsing ability (Mr. Fontana, Dr. Borga, Mr. Stanziola, and Mr. Senatore). The prize at the time was $10,000 of Randi's personal money. The conditions were that a 10 meter by 10 meter test area would be used. There would be water supply and a reservoir just outside the test area. There would be three plastic pipes running underground from the source to the reservoir along different concealed paths. Each pipe would pass through the test area by entering at some point on an edge and exiting at some point on an edge. A pipe would not cross itself but it might cross others. The pipes were 3 centimeters in diameter and were buried 50 centimeters below ground. Valves would select which of the pipes water was running through, and only one would be selected at a time. At least 5 liters per second of water would flow through the selected pipe. The dowser must first check the area to see if there is any natural water or anything else that would interfere with the test, and that would be marked. Additionally, the dowser must demonstrate that the dowsing reaction works on an exposed pipe with the water running. Then one of the three pipes would be selected randomly for each trial. The dowser would place ten to one hundred pegs in the ground along the path he traces as the path of the active pipe. Two-thirds of the pegs placed by the dowser must be within 10 centimeters of the center of the pipe being traced for the trial to be a success. Three trials would be done for the test of each dowser and the dowser must pass two of the three trials to pass the test. A lawyer was present, in possession of Randi's $10,000 check. If a claimant were successful, the lawyer would give him the check. If none were successful, the check would be returned to Randi.

All of the dowsers agreed with the conditions of the test and stated that they felt able to perform the test that day and that the water flow was sufficient. Before the test they were asked how sure they were that they would succeed. All said either "99 percent" or "100 percent" certain. They were asked what they would conclude if the water flow was 90 degrees from what they thought it was and all said that it was impossible. After the test they were asked how confident they were that they had passed the test. Three answered "100 percent" and one answered that he had not completed the test.[34]

When all of the tests were over and the location of the pipes was revealed, none of the dowsers had passed the test. Dr. Borga had placed his markers carefully, but the nearest was a full 8 feet from the water pipe. Borga said "We are lost"; but within two minutes he started blaming his failure on many things such as sunspots and geomagnetic variables. Two of the dowsers had "found" natural water before the test started, but disagreed with each other about where it was, as well as with the ones who found no natural water
(taken from the wiki link above)

DoctorEvil

I feel I should add one more comment. I, or anyone else, can not be expected to know what exactly happen when your favourite dowser has managed to find water (or any other target). Simply, I was not there, and did not see the event. For instance, did the dowser point out several possible location, and only one of those turned out to be a good one. What about the local geology? How likely one is to get to water if one digs at any random point?

The only way to rigorously test such claims is under controlled conditions, such as the test described above. No dowser has so far passed even the preliminary test of the one million dollar challenge.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So it is basically random idiots wandering around with twigs trying to find water and failing. Excellent.

nimic

something nice
Scout
So it is basically random idiots wandering around with twigs trying to find water and failing. Excellent.
Actually, it's not even "basically" that, it's exactly that! It blows my mind that people believe in this. But then again, I consider this no more silly than faith healing or homeopathy, and there's lots who believe in that (my sister does, or did, and she's Mensa intelligent).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
At least faith healing and homeopathy can work sometimes if someone believes it enough. My mum made a full recovery from pancreatic and throat cancer after being told to go home and die by the doctors. Homopathy and a healthy diet sorted her out. Lucky mainly I'd guess and if it did have an effect it was just a powerful placebo effect.

If I get sick I'm stuffed because I know that it's bollocks. Damn.

Tibs

Professor Trelawny's great grandmother was very gifted at Divination...infact, it was she who made the prophecy that neither Harry or Voldemort could live, whilst the other survived