g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen INVINCIBLES manager

MrEleson

if they go unbeaten through the whole bundesliga season, it doesn’t highlight anything about leverkusen or alonso, it just shows how weak the league is. no one could ever go the through the whole british premier league season unbeaten.
Sounds like something someone who knows ZILCH about football outside the prem would say.

Winrar

He wouldn't want us, we are not exactly attractive to managers.
Sure, but it's because we're a team in disrepair, not because we're Liverpool's arch-rivals.

It's worth noting Leverkusen were 15th when Alonso took over, though obviously his managerial stock has skyrocketd since.

Hammondo

Sure, but it's because we're a team in disrepair, not because we're Liverpool's arch-rivals.

It's worth noting Leverkusen were 15th when Alonso took over, though obviously his managerial stock has skyrocketd since.
I think a poor team with good management is more appealing than us.

Hammondo

This weird putting down of the club's gravitas is borderline masochistic. So odd.
It's just reality, what pull we had from being United has been torn apart by our terrible handling of things since SAF, it's a trap to come here.

gorky_utd

i always think it’s cute when people refer to it as football when it’s outside of the bpl.

maybe in a lord of the rings geek fantasy.
And in which fantasy land your great pl teams were playing in the final? Two best English player in kane and Bellingham don't even play in pl.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
This weird putting down of the club's gravitas is borderline masochistic. So odd.
It's not far fetched though, is it. United has been a real poisoned chalice for years now, i can't from the top of my head think of a manager or player who left with their reputation intact.

Todd

One match to go in the league, against a mid-table team in terrible form. They better not screw this up now.

Sylar

On sunday we will be playing in Bochum for the first time since May 27th '23 - which was the last match of last season and the last time we lost a competitive game. Usually, I'm not a superstitiuous person but since this season can't be explained rationally anymore, I'm a bit nervous :nervous:
Haha, well that turned out well eh?
It's Atalanta that will be the one that will be tricky. The other two will end in routine victories

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's Atalanta that will be the one that will be tricky. The other two will end in routine victories
Leverkusen will win against Atalanta and then lose the cup final against fecking Kaiserslautern as they will still be drunk.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Be interesting to see where he ends up. Personally, I am happy he is staying at Leverkusen for another season, as he has built a great culture there. Will be very interesting to see if he can keep it going for more than one season and how they handle the step up in class in the CL.

As for his next move, I cannot but help think he will be Don Carlo's replacement. Not sure anyone would or should turn down managing that Madrid side they've built and continuing to build.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah, that was more relaxed than expected :D I think the early red card completely killed Bochum, they were good before it.

Atalanta is obviously the most difficult challenge left but I'll be nervous for the other two games anyway. Lautern is shortly after the ECL final and we've seen how that went for us in the second leg against West Ham and we only beat Augsburg in the 94th minute in January.

Sylar

Yeah, that was more relaxed than expected :D I think the early red card completely killed Bochum, they were good before it.

Atalanta is obviously the most difficult challenge left but I'll be nervous for the other two games anyway. Lautern is shortly after the ECL final and we've seen how that went for us in the second leg against West Ham and we only beat Augsburg in the 94th minute in January.
haha, tbf, youre a fan of the team so its natural to be nervous.
As somebody watching on the outside, I think you will breeze through the two games outside the ECL final.
Thats gonna be a great watch for the neutral.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
haha, tbf, youre a fan of the team so its natural to be nervous.
As somebody watching on the outside, I think you will breeze through the two games outside the ECL final.
Thats gonna be a great watch for the neutral.
I wouldn't mind that :D

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Is the nation willing you on, or is a mission everywhere you go for that team to be the one that spoils the party? Have you become other supporters' second favourite team?
Leverkusen is a club few people have strong feelings about, but they often had more or less nice to watch teams that just lacked the steel to actually grind through a season and win stuff. So there is a lot of sympathy and neutral goodwill at the moment I'd say. Obviously still everyone wants to be the team who finally ends their streak (and the longer it goes, the more epic it would become to finally defeat them), but nobody would have hard feelings if they actually go through the season unbeaten. Not even most Bayern fans I know would have a big problem with that (at least they still hold most other records after this season).

Probably only Köln fans will be fuming that they (most likely) get relegated while their suburb wins everything.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Leverkusen is a club few people have strong feelings about, but they often had more or less nice to watch teams that just lacked the steel to actually grind through a season and win stuff. So there is a lot of sympathy and neutral goodwill at the moment I'd say. Obviously still everyone wants to be the team who finally ends their streak (and the longer it goes, the more epic it would become to finally defeat them), but nobody would have hard feelings if they actually go through the season unbeaten. Not even most Bayern fans I know would have a big problem with that (at least they still hold most other records after this season).

Probably only Köln fans will be fuming that they (most likely) get relegated while their suburb wins everything.
Would love to see what the atmosphere is like and general sentiment around the county - appreciate your explanation. When Arsenal had their invincible season, every team wanted to be the one to pop their bubble, no love or sentiment for their impending achievement!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Would love to see what the atmosphere is like and general sentiment around the county - appreciate your explanation. When Arsenal had their invincible season, every team wanted to be the one to pop their bubble, no love or sentiment for their impending achievement!
Honestly I think the atmosphere around their matches is nothing special. After all Leverkusen is and will be a suburb club that's lucky it's affiliated with a huge corporation. And yes, while of course everyone wants to beat them, after the match it's mostly "well, nobody else could beat them, so no shame in not doing it today".

Actually I think the completely dominant league win lead to the general mood being more disinterested then most would have expected. Everyone thought that some day there finally has to be a team that grabs the title from Bayern's claws in an epic battle. Instead Leverkusen has been mostly cruising through the season and it has been more boring than most of Bayern's recent title winning years :lol:

Still everybody is happy that Bayern's streak ends.

erikcred

That's just because everyone has met an Arsenal fan.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No that's Bielefeld . Leverkusen exists without a doubt, but it's just the Bayer factory outside of Köln and nothing else.
Only since 1994 does Bielefeld not exist, someone forgot to tell Rochdale 'cos they still think they're twinned with them :D

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Honestly I think the atmosphere around their matches is nothing special. After all Leverkusen is and will be a suburb club that's lucky it's affiliated with a huge corporation. And yes, while of course everyone wants to beat them, after the match it's mostly "well, nobody else could beat them, so no shame in not doing it today".

Actually I think the completely dominant league win lead to the general mood being more disinterested then most would have expected. Everyone thought that some day there finally has to be a team that grabs the title from Bayern's claws in an epic battle. Instead Leverkusen has been mostly cruising through the season and it has been more boring than most of Bayern's recent title winning years :lol:

Still everybody is happy that Bayern's streak ends.
And they'll not be called Neverkusen ever again!

I see what you mean with the 'well, we can try and give it a go... but no promises!' Angle.

Was just wondering if they were a goodwill team in general, like for example, Leicester was basically adored or admired for a period of around 2-3 years after their feat, and then things kind of petered out for them, but I'd say the death of the owner and the switch to his son changed the narrative for them quite a bit, as the dad was adored and said to be a great and nice man, which pushed adulation for the club on that bit more.

Next season should also be interesting for Leverkusen? They're going around the country with an aura then, which should have some sway on the intensity of their games.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Obviously a fellow German
Nope, never been to the Fatherland, nor am I a member of the royal family :rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure my Granddad was in that area in 1945, perhaps he couldn't find it on the map so claimed it must not exist :D