Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen INVINCIBLES double-winning manager

lex talionis

Mental letdown but still no excuses to not be up for a cup final. Props to Atalanta, who found a way to cope without Hojlund.

mu4c_20le

Really wanted for Leverkusen to win so we could face them for the European Super Cup. :(
I think we've seen a glimpse of what happens when they face CL quality opposition tonight. Think Xabi made a big mistake staying on for another year.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Superb game from Atalanta and much deserved win.

Leverkusen had a proper meltdown. The stakes were to high for the players and that early first goal killed them.

To be slapped like this in a European final is quite a sad end to an incredible winning run.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not even ten hag can feck that up, surely:nervous:
This season there has been a record amount of upsets in the DFB Pokal (in the sense of lower league team wins against higher league team), it has just been special season in German football. So nobody can feel safe, nothing is guaranteed.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
I did think Leverkusen would win, but I also saw this coming a bit. The undefeated treble has been talked about as a foregone conclusion by a bit too many lately

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I did think Leverkusen would win, but I also saw this coming a bit. The undefeated treble has been talked about as a foregone conclusion by a bit too many lately
Atalanta was the worst team they could've faced tbh, and Leverkusen got a reality check.

It's a good thing if they and their manager can learn the right lessons from it. The Champions League is a whole different animal.

GlasgowCeltic

Definitely overthought it, that tinkering of key players will get him sacked quickly if he makes it to Madrid

Blood Mage

Bottled it tonight. Still a very exciting manager though who has every chance of doing great things in the future.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think we've seen a glimpse of what happens when they face CL quality opposition tonight. Think Xabi made a big mistake staying on for another year.
He's still pretty new to the job so I'm cool with him staying another season and getting more experience as I really want him to succeed with Real Madrid.

MrWilliams

I thought his starting line up wasn’t it.

Boniface should have played up top and Andrich for Palacios.

I think Atalanta was just well prepped for this final, especially after losing the Coppa Italia last week.

Oscar Bonavena

They were ceptic tonight. Looked like they underestimated the physicality and intensity that Atalanta were gonna bring, and had no plan B to change it up.

MrWilliams

They were never able to get out of Atalanta’s press and get their passing game going.

This team seems to struggle against physically superior teams.

frostbite

Look man, all things must eventually come to an end.

Last edited:

Sylar

Definitely overthought it, that tinkering of key players will get him sacked quickly if he makes it to Madrid
I thought his starting line up wasn’t it.

Boniface should have played up top and Andrich for Palacios.

I think Atalanta was just well prepped for this final, especially after losing the Coppa Italia last week.
It was a Pep special

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a bit off topic but other than SAF who are the other managers that have/had the habit of tinkering successfully?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's a bit off topic but other than SAF who are the other managers that have/had the habit of tinkering successfully?
Up until now, Alonso's tinkering was successful. I think he made a mistake by not starting Boniface. Even in his current form his presence immediately had a positive impact. But what broke us yesterday was nervousness, IMO. We made more mistakes than in the 51 games before. Atalanta provoked many of them with their great pressing but many were uncalled for as well. Think this had as much impact as Alonso's tactical miscalculation. But shit happens, still one hell of a season

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
When I saw the starting 11, I knew Bayer could never win that game. Grimaldo and Adli has the most advanced players of the team. What was he thinking?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
When I saw the starting 11, I knew Bayer could never win that game. Grimaldo and Adli has the most advanced players of the team. What was he thinking?
It was effectively the same formation he used the round before against Roma. So not really a lot of tinkering involved.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It was effectively the same formation he used the round before against Roma. So not really a lot of tinkering involved.
But... why? Even against Roma almost didn't worked. Only Guardiola can use 7 center midfielders and win the game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Which is the problem. Roma isn't Atalanta. "It worked against Roma" is insane decision making
But... why? Even against Roma almost didn't worked. Only Guardiola can use 7 center midfielders and win the game.
It did work against Roma, they battered them. Roma's atracking gameplans - esp going after their CBs - also worked fairly well but defensively they chased ghosts for 2 games

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Which is the problem. Roma isn't Atalanta. "It worked against Roma" is insane decision making

It did work against Roma, they battered them. Roma's atracking gameplans - esp going after their CBs - also worked fairly well but defensively they chased ghosts for 2 games
I think the game plan wasn't that bad. Atalanta defends one on one which is very risky. Lots of pressure, not much space but when you beat their pressing line, they offer much space inbehind. Our biggest strength this season is freeing ourselves out of pressure and then play our fast paced attackers through. Alternatively you can play high balls over the pressing line up to a target striker but Boniface still lacks sharpness and Schick's hold up play is average at best. And it's not as if Atalanta overran us, they scored from more or less every threatening situation. Superior mentality.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The gameplan was bad. Build up from the back but rigid structure, short spacing, and no easy advantages, plus no plan B?
I mean, we didn't lose 51 games that way. This is literally what makes Alonso so successful. We invite, not to say provoke, opponents into pressing us, ideally around the middle line on the left side. Then we utilize the technical brillance and football IQ of Wirtz, Boniface, Palacios, Xahaka, Grimaldo and co. to outplay them and release the ball to other flank (most often Frimpong) or play a through ball inbehind when the opponent committed to it. In essence, we want possession around the center of the pitch and play through the last third of the pitch very quickly (we have that in common with Inter by the way). On paper, Atalanta was a very good match up for us because we love teams that condense the space like this. Thing is, when you make more errors in one game than in the previous 51 combined, this won't work.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, we didn't lose 51 games that way. This is literally what makes Alonso so successful. We invite, not to say provoke, opponents into pressing us, ideally around the middle line on the left side. Then we utilize the technical brillance and football IQ of Wirtz, Boniface, Palacios, Xahaka, Grimaldo and co. to outplay them and release the ball to other flank (most often Frimpong) or play a through ball inbehind when the opponent committed to it. In essence, we want possession around the center of the pitch and play through the last third of the pitch very quickly (we have that in common with Inter by the way). On paper, Atalanta was a very good match up for us because we love teams that condense the space like this. Thing is, when you make more errors in one game than in the previous 51 combined, this won't work.
I don't know, you kept a fairly rigid structure throughout and never tried to increase the spacing, force them to spread out. Didn't see your defenders pushing up, abandoning the shape to create advantages behind their midfielders - Inter's staple against them - shift play out wide quickly(where atalanta concede more space) or trying to go in behind early...

Makes me think this was the plan, rather than players fecking up. The players made plenty of mistkes of course and not all because of Atalanta, but they also weren't given the best options to succeed here

MrWilliams

Reminder. In a one off final, you play your best team.

The press from Atalanta made Leverkusen go long but Adli wasn’t able to hold up the ball. Once Boniface came in, Bayer had more control in the game.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I felt that you'se had plenty of opportunities where you escaped Atalanta's press and were running at them, but just couldn't put it together in the final third. Didn't feel like you were completely outclassed by them (goals aside)

Nole

Such an anti-climax to Bayern Leverkusen's incredible season. I knew their unbeaten run would end at some point but I was hoping they would go the whole season undefeated. At least they went unbeaten in the Bundesliga, a feat that even Bayern Munich has not achieved. Just wondering if they had drawn with Atlanta and they lost on penalties, would this still count as unbeaten for them?