Xavi (Spanish Lego Pep) | Sacked, Backed, then Sacked

ShinjiNinja26

There was a tweet that came out when it was announced that he was staying that said he was highly thought of by INEOS and was one of the leading candidates to replace ETH. I can’t remember the source so I’m not sure of the accuracy of the tweet but it will be interesting to see if the rumours start heating up again if he does get the boot.

croadyman

There was a tweet that came out when it was announced that he was staying that said he was highly thought of by INEOS and was one of the leading candidates to replace ETH. I can’t remember the source so I’m not sure of the accuracy of the tweet but it will be interesting to see if the rumours start heating up again if he does get the boot.
Yeah apparently so

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think Xavi would be like bringing in ten Hag again

No Premier League experience and will probably want a load of players to play his system. Barca pulled about 20 levers to sign a new squad.

croadyman

No Premier League experience and will probably want a load of players to play his system. Barca pulled about 20 levers to sign a new squad.
Does the manager need to have PL experience

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Does the manager need to have PL experience
I'll repeat it again and again: Most PL winning managers did win it with their first PL club but after winning leagues in other countries. Being a proven winner seems to be more important than being PL proven.

croadyman

I'll repeat it again and again: Most PL winning managers did win it with their first PL club but after winning leagues in other countries. Being a proven winner seems to be more important than being PL proven.
Yeah he was one of the greatest midfielders ever, however can be a top manager too

roseguy64

Pretty sure that was more Laporta wanting to make a stamp and also the previous squad wasn't good enough. Waste of money either way as they'll need to get rid of a few of them as the younger players through their academy are better.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mm. So seemingly the problem is that in private talks when he was convinced to stay Xavi gave assurances to Laporta and then in that interview he basically said the opposite of what he'd said in private. Hence Laporta wanting to rage-sack him now

Laporta also considers Xavi to be one of the main drivers of their strategy to sell off pieces of the club to make win now moves, including anticipating the signing of Vitor Roque, so he's also just pissed off about Xavi crying over a financial situation he helped make and sabotaging a signing he personally approved

PepG

Supports
Ajax
So basically he will get the sack because of his moaning?! Who would have thought...

sdb4884

Apparently he will meet with Laporta next week, possibly could be sacked. We should be waiting outside the room with a contract if he is sacked, he'd be highly sought after though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
apparently they're expecting him to forgo his payoff as a "man of the club". Barca gonna Barca.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Apparently he will meet with Laporta next week, possibly could be sacked. We should be waiting outside the room with a contract if he is sacked, he'd be highly sought after though.
He’d be a big risk.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Chiringuito saying Xavi won't continue and Flick will most likely be the next coach.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't they pay him compensation if they fire him now even though before all this by resigning he was foregoing it?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Who wouldn't represent a big risk for United if they appoint a new manager after the FA Cup Final?
Well let’s say he’s more of a risk than someone like pochettino who’s managed in more than 1 league.

tomaldinho1

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't they pay him compensation if they fire him now even though before all this by resigning he was foregoing it?
Maybe this was their plan all along to save money, probably some clause that if you resign you don't get the same payout as if you are sacked.

RoyH1

I wonder if this means they got Xavi to leave some of his payout on the table?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Wow, this won't end well. How stupid can you be?

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Didn't he win the treble in 2020 with Bayern? I'd like us to make a similarly shite appointment if possible.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't he win the treble in 2020 with Bayern? I'd like us to make a similarly shite appointment if possible.
It's an impressive achievement but worth looking at it in context.

Bayern won 2/3rds of a treble the season before, with a manager generally considered 'not so good.'

The biggest achievement is the CL, but people have wondered if COVID affected things. IIRC the Bundesliga finished earlier than other leagues except Ligue 1 which did not finish. Then 2 Ligue 1 teams and 2 Bundesliga teams reached the CL semis. Did they have advantage due to the difference in schedule? Maybe, maybe not.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Did they have advantage due to the difference in schedule? Maybe, maybe not.
They very obviously did, it was quite evident on the pitch. Leipzig and OL running City and Atletico's socks off, Atalanta looking absolutely shattered in the second half against PSG

That said, Bayern already looked like the best team in the world under him before the Covid stop, and were exceptional the next season as well. Went out to a Lewandowski injury and a freak defeat to PSG in which they could have scored 5 or 6 goals, in a tremendous and tremendously close tie

Mind you, Flick failed with Germany due to the combo strikers can't finish + bad defensive transition, which, well. You have seen Barcelona this season right? :lol:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Flick would be an massive improvement on Xavi in terms of playing style and reinstalling the footballing philosophy we all know Barcelona for. But in terms of tactics, man management and overall aura the German lacks a bit and it will be fun season for them.

RoyH1

Flick would be an massive improvement on Xavi in terms of playing style and reinstalling the footballing philosophy we all know Barcelona for. But in terms of tactics, man management and overall aura the German lacks a bit and it will be fun season for them.
I wonder how he'll deal with the politics, and media over there. It's completely different to what he's experienced in Germany. Being honest can get you fired very quickly there.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wonder how he'll deal with the politics, and media over there. It's completely different to what he's experienced in Germany. Being honest can get you fired very quickly there.
He managed Bayern. He knows.