Gaming Xbox Elite Wireless Controller 1 or Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thought there was a massive Xbox thread here, but search isn't finding it.

So, thinking of getting my nephew one of these, whichever one is best, but I am not an Xbox One player/user and haven't seen either pad in real life. The price difference between the two is around £50, but is the Series 2 significantly better? Anyone here have one, or experienced using both? What say you?

Also, is this likely to be sold for a good price anywhere in the run up to Christmas, or should I just buy it now?

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
series one apparently had terrible build quality, loads of them died after a few months, grips wore away etc

would be interested to see if series 2 main differences are better parts

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Why do you need the elite? They cost 3 times more than the standard, I don't believe you get 3 times more performance/value.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why do you need the elite? They cost 3 times more than the standard, I don't believe you get 3 times more performance/value.
I bought one by mistake, it's actually pretty nifty. Excellent for FPS apparently, and with the extra paddles at the back and being able to map it would be a huge advantage in competitive play.

I've got a V1 I think and the grips have started to come away, shocking for the price. Think one of the analog sticks is a bit dodgey too, doesn't seem the same as the other. Can buy new grips for cheap online so not too bothered.

If you're an FPS player it's probably a good buy, same with racing games, can put longer sticks on to make smaller adjustments in turning and stuff.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I bought one by mistake, it's actually pretty nifty. Excellent for FPS apparently, and with the extra paddles at the back and being able to map it would be a huge advantage in competitive play.

I've got a V1 I think and the grips have started to come away, shocking for the price. Think one of the analog sticks is a bit dodgey too, doesn't seem the same as the other. Can buy new grips for cheap online so not too bothered.

If you're an FPS player it's probably a good buy, same with racing games, can put longer sticks on to make smaller adjustments in turning and stuff.
That's why I wanted to find out why he wanted the elite, if you're into competitive hard-core gaming fair enough, but for general console play the normal xbox controller is quite brilliant.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've not got cider on ignore, @Damien, but that thread didn't come up for me, dunno why.

For those asking: I've two nephews heavily into FPS, and they've had a little go on the Elite controller, but don't own them, so I thought getting them (I know I said one in the OP - he's close to pro level, apparently, so would be the initial one I thought of buying for, but then can't be cruel and leave the other hanging) these pads, if they're the nuts, would be a great present and much rather that than give them money, which is what it would boil down to otherwise (probably go back a few months later only for them to have sold them for the cash! :nono::lol:) and something I'd like to avoid if possible.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I've not got cider on ignore, @Damien, but that thread didn't come up for me, dunno why.

For those asking: I've two nephews heavily into FPS, and they've had a little go on the Elite controller, but don't own them, so I thought getting them (I know I said one in the OP - he's close to pro level, apparently, so would be the initial one I thought of buying for, but then can't be cruel and leave the other hanging) these pads, if they're the nuts, would be a great present and much rather that than give them money, which is what it would boil down to otherwise (probably go back a few months later only for them to have sold them for the cash! :nono::lol:) and something I'd like to avoid if possible.
If they're heavy into FPS it's a must tbh, the triggers have different settings so a half press can registered as a full press which is precious milliseconds in gaming

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If they're heavy into FPS it's a must tbh, the triggers have different settings so a half press can registered as a full press which is precious milliseconds in gaming
Have you managed to have a play with one? What was your verdict, if so? Think I'll pop into town tomorrow and pretend like I'm going to buy from there to get a feel for myself!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Have you managed to have a play with one? What was your verdict, if so? Think I'll pop into town tomorrow and pretend like I'm going to buy from there to get a feel for myself!
Yeah it's my regular controller as I said earlier, I'm not a massive gamer though so don't really get the full benefit, my nephew loves it though. Build quality on v1 is pretty poor due to the wear on the grips and them coming loose, I'd opt for the newer version which supposedly has the issues ironed out. They feel way better than a regular controller, a lot more weight.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah it's my regular controller as I said earlier, I'm not a massive gamer though so don't really get the full benefit, my nephew loves it though. Build quality on v1 is pretty poor due to the wear on the grips and them coming loose, I'd opt for the newer version which supposedly has the issues ironed out. They feel way better than a regular controller, a lot more weight.
Oops! sorry about that; should've cross-referenced the name!

I sound like the old grandpa who hasn't a clue, haha. But yeah, it would be nice to get them something I think they'll value/treasure over the usual Christmas facade before handing over an envelope with cash in it.

Cheers.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I owned the Elite 1 controller and although the paddles are useless (way to sensitive to use) the controller just felt so much better. That being said, the rubber grips stretch over time and you end up having to peel them off.
I moved away from the xbox, but two of my friends currently use the Razer wolverine ultimate and enjoy them.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I owned the Elite 1 controller and although the paddles are useless (way to sensitive to use) the controller just felt so much better. That being said, the rubber grips stretch over time and you end up having to peel them off.
I moved away from the xbox, but two of my friends currently use the Razer wolverine ultimate and enjoy them.
I think the paddles work well for racing games and shifting gears, and they're handy for quickly using a first aid kid or whatever is at a button which means taking your main fingers off the buttons which require fast reaction times.

The grips really are poor though, MS should have sent free replacements out really.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
No point making a new thread - can any Xbox users here recommend the best battery pack for controllers?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
No point making a new thread - can any Xbox users here recommend the best battery pack for controllers?
I've found them all completely shit and a fire hazard, last a few months or a couple year then just decide to break, lose charge, hold no charge, or get too hot when charging.

I just use rechargeable batteries now, way better.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.

But I didnt want anyone feckin the 10 mill challenge up but someone did! :lol: still one of my favourite gaming memories!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I've found them all completely shit and a fire hazard, last a few months or a couple year then just decide to break, lose charge, hold no charge, or get too hot when charging.

I just use rechargeable batteries now, way better.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.

But I didnt want anyone feckin the 10 mill challenge up but someone did! :lol: still one of my favourite gaming memories!
Oh gta times. I think it might be time for a reunion.