Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga will only run at 30fps on Xbox Series X/S.

The forthcoming game from Ninja Theory has been built exclusively for Xbox and PC using Unreal Engine 5, truly showing the power of the engine.

However, this comes at a cost. As German outlet GamePro has confirmed, the game only runs at 30fps on console with a dynamic resolution. There are no graphics modes, although frame rate can be increased if played on PC.

https://www.eurogamer.net/hellblade-2-will-be-30fps-only-on-xbox-consoles

Ainu

It's disappointing but I do think 30 fps is probably fine for a game like Hellblade, as long as it's a perfect lock.

The sad reality is that over the last year we've seen that the current consoles will often either give us sub 60 fps performance, or absurdly low resolutions, even sub 1080p at times. I feel like devs have got their priorities all wrong.

Bebe

It's disappointing but I do think 30 fps is probably fine for a game like Hellblade, as long as it's a perfect lock.

The sad reality is that over the last year we've seen that the current consoles will often either give us sub 60 fps performance, or absurdly low resolutions, even sub 1080p at times. I feel like devs have got their priorities all wrong.
It's so frustrating to see performance budgets focused on graphical bells and whistles instead of achieving 60fps. I just finished Ghost of Tsushima and, from an experiential POV, the game feels and plays so much better than games coming out today at 30 fps with more detailed grass textures or whatever.

Unfortunately my suspicion is that devs have strong data to back up the idea that more particle effects and flashy graphics sells games better than solid performance.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I haven't touched my launch day Series X in months. What a joke of a platform.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I haven't touched my launch day Series X in months. What a joke of a platform.
You should try gamepass

ive had series x since launch day, never once purchased a game but still regularily play games on it. Over last few months I’ve played Remnant 1 and 2, Dead Island 2. I’d never have considered purchasing these games but being on GP made me give them a shot.
The Remnant game’s especially are excellent

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You should try gamepass

ive had series x since launch day, never once purchased a game but still regularily play games on it. Over last few months I’ve played Remnant 1 and 2, Dead Island 2. I’d never have considered purchasing these games but being on GP made me give them a shot.
The Remnant game’s especially are excellent
You've paid more for those games over time than you would buying them outright if you've had gamepass since launch. That includes all the other games you've played too, since most of them had been free on other platforms or at least heavily discounted.

It's a false economy. But at least it has introduced you to new games! I am a big fan of the Remnant games.

Update coming to Starfield later this month. Adding 40/60/uncapped FPS performance modes to Series X among other things. Also shows off a moon buggy for planet exploration that will be added in a future update.
It's almost as if some people weren't questioning why the 30fps in the first place.

Something about sandwiches...

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
You've paid more for those games over time than you would buying them outright if you've had gamepass since launch. That includes all the other games you've played too, since most of them had been free on other platforms or at least heavily discounted.

It's a false economy. But at least it has introduced you to new games! I am a big fan of the Remnant games.

It's almost as if some people weren't questioning why the 30fps in the first place.

Something about sandwiches...
I used the hack for the first 3 years, it cost me €120 for 3 yr Gamepass ultimate. Since then I’ve added some more months via the point scheme they do and also picked up a couple of cheap months on dodgy code websites.

it is finally due to expire in august. So i will need to consider my next steps

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's so frustrating to see performance budgets focused on graphical bells and whistles instead of achieving 60fps. I just finished Ghost of Tsushima and, from an experiential POV, the game feels and plays so much better than games coming out today at 30 fps with more detailed grass textures or whatever.

Unfortunately my suspicion is that devs have strong data to back up the idea that more particle effects and flashy graphics sells games better than solid performance.
Depends on the game. Hellblade 1 wasn’t about moving around quickly and I assume this will mostly the same. I’ll take better graphics for a game like this so long as the fps is smooth. Hopefully they deliver there.

Bebe

Depends on the game. Hellblade 1 wasn’t about moving around quickly and I assume this will mostly the same. I’ll take better graphics for a game like this so long as the fps is smooth. Hopefully they deliver there.
In fairness, I've been replaying Deus Ex: Mankind Divided lately at 4k/30fps and it's been fine. Would still much rather 60 be standard but it seems like I might be in the minority there.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I used the hack for the first 3 years, it cost me €120 for 3 yr Gamepass ultimate. Since then I’ve added some more months via the point scheme they do and also picked up a couple of cheap months on dodgy code websites.

it is finally due to expire in august. So i will need to consider my next steps
Yeah to be fair at that price, it was obviously great.

At full price, or even discounted a bit? Not so much. I only keep one active now for my son, it's just not worth it. Arguably it never was at full price, only really for those who missed some last gen games or don't have a PC to get most of those games for free (Epic store has a habit of giving away a lot of the games on the GP) or a couple of quid on Steam/GOG.

In fairness, I've been replaying Deus Ex: Mankind Divided lately at 4k/30fps and it's been fine. Would still much rather 60 be standard but it seems like I might be in the minority there.
To be fair, 60fps should have been standard at least 15 years ago if not longer. I still find it funny they've managed to sell 120hz tvs to people, but the machines can't even render close to 4k let alone run close to 120fps without a lot of trickery and concessions. But yeah I get some still don't really care and that's fair enough.

Same for me with Hellblade. My biggest worry there is they capture what made the first so great and don't try to pander too much to those expecting gameplay to take over. And yes, I realise coming from me that's a weird statement, but I loved the first for what it was and what it spoke about.

The setting, the story and the theme means way more. Though I will say I did actually enjoy the combat in it, even if it was way too easy, so a bit more of that with some extra depth would be welcomed. As long as it fit in, rather than became the focus.

Not sure about 30fps for me, but I'd settle for 60 and still have some epic views.

Bebe

Yeah to be fair at that price, it was obviously great.

At full price, or even discounted a bit? Not so much. I only keep one active now for my son, it's just not worth it. Arguably it never was at full price, only really for those who missed some last gen games or don't have a PC to get most of those games for free (Epic store has a habit of giving away a lot of the games on the GP) or a couple of quid on Steam/GOG.

To be fair, 60fps should have been standard at least 15 years ago if not longer. I still find it funny they've managed to sell 120hz tvs to people, but the machines can't even render close to 4k let alone run close to 120fps without a lot of trickery and concessions. But yeah I get some still don't really care and that's fair enough.

Same for me with Hellblade. My biggest worry there is they capture what made the first so great and don't try to pander too much to those expecting gameplay to take over. And yes, I realise coming from me that's a weird statement, but I loved the first for what it was and what it spoke about.

The setting, the story and the theme means way more. Though I will say I did actually enjoy the combat in it, even if it was way too easy, so a bit more of that with some extra depth would be welcomed. As long as it fit in, rather than became the focus.

Not sure about 30fps for me, but I'd settle for 60 and still have some epic views.
My housemate is one of those who needs every game to be an action game...it'd be sad to see Hellblade pander to that when such people have a million other games to wear their thumbs out on.

Re: your point about GP and last gen games, I continuously find myself tempted by these services only to browse the catalog and realize I own 90% of the offering (that would actually interest me) on Steam for $5/game if not less. But then again I guess the point of GP (at least in part) is appealing to people who wouldn't own a gaming PC or have that kind of personal content library.

Ainu

Fecking hell, that's insane. Ok, Arkane Austin is perhaps not a huge surprise after Redfall, but considering this is also the studio behind Prey, it's a massive loss.

Tango Gameworks though, wasn't Hi-Fi Rush considered a success? That's on par with Roll7 getting closed down by Take 2 after delivering games like OlliOlli World and Rollerdrome.