Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bebe

I haven't paid attention or looked into the rumours but I thought it was just that Microsoft is first pulling back physical sales (inevitable but sooner than I expected) and second going multiplatform with some licenses?

Are there actually rumours about them pulling out of hardware or is it just people jumping to that conclusion because why would you buy an Xbox if you can get all the games on Playstation?

I expect there to be another dedicated Xbox console for next gen and so long as its the only console that has gamepass ill still be buying it.
I'm pretty sure the bolded is as you described, I haven't actually seen anything about Xbox pulling out of hardware entirely. Nor do I think I've seen anything saying "all the games" would come to Playstation.

In short, the death of Xbox is likely being exaggerated.

caid

Good for you pal but I wasn’t talking about you :lol:
Yes the casual gamer who spends €500 on a console and €80 on games. I dont think they exist. They've now got a wider selection of games to play so not sure what the harm is anyway. Theres the keeping sony honest side of the issue but thats been a total failure to date. I dont think its in their interest to feck around anymore than they have, i'd be a bit surprised if the higher game price has really payed off for them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yes the casual gamer who spends €500 on a console and €80 on games. I dont think they exist. They've now got a wider selection of games to play so not sure what the harm is anyway. Theres the keeping sony honest side of the issue but thats been a total failure to date. I dont think its in their interest to feck around anymore than they have, i'd be a bit surprised if the higher game price has really payed off for them.
:confused: What are you on about? An enormous portion of the gaming market are people who want the latest and greatest console and have no interest in PCs.

caid

:confused: What are you on about? An enormous portion of the gaming market are people who want the latest and greatest console and have no interest in PCs.
I dont think i'd call them casual gamers. And honestly that makes no damn sense to me.

Bebe

They do exist. Most consoles only ever have 5-8 games bought for them. The group you're talking about is the biggest slice of the gaming market that exists outside mobile. It's basically everyone in between Candy Crush mobile gaming, and hardcore gamers who likely own more than one console, or a console + PC, etc.

I don't think that Xbox keeping Sony honest has been a total failure, in fact I think it's that principle that stopped Sony from trying the same anti-consumer bs that MS did with the Xbox One.

The higher price point has definitely paid off for Sony because they continue to put up big sales figures.

caid

They do exist. Most consoles only ever have 5-8 games bought for them. The group you're talking about is the biggest slice of the gaming market that exists outside mobile. It's basically everyone in between Candy Crush mobile gaming, and hardcore gamers who likely own more than one console, or a console + PC, etc.

I don't think that Xbox keeping Sony honest has been a total failure, in fact I think it's that principle that stopped Sony from trying the same anti-consumer bs that MS did with the Xbox One.

The higher price point has definitely paid off for Sony because they continue to put up big sales figures.
If this is honest sony then i'm leaning back to let it burn.

I'm not a casual gamer / consumer. Nintendo Switch will offer competition in that market anyway.
Maybe it'll threaten the PS5 / Series X midground but theres no meaningful competition there anyway. And i dont think i'll miss it to be honest - the remasters / dlc / grindy mmo always online junk / digital only / subscription for online play / expensive as feck day 1 prices. It can all go in the bin
The FIFA, CoD crowd can fight their own battle's. Its not a concern to me

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I dont think i'd call them casual gamers. And honestly that makes no damn sense to me.
there is a pretty clear distinction between gamers who only want to play on console and those who want to play on pc also and surely you know that.

caid

there is a pretty clear distinction between gamers who only want to play on console and those who want to play on pc also and surely you know that.
I'm aware of it and don't understand it.
I'd get it if it was throwing a cart in a megadrive vs. launching doom via command prompt but theres no modern version of that. Its pc vs. sony brand pc. The differences between each are so small as to be redundant. You have to double click a steam icon when you turn it on.
Its a good thing incidentally. Gaming was really splintered back then.

redcucumber

I'm aware of it and don't understand it.
I'd get it if it was throwing a cart in a megadrive vs. launching doom via command prompt but theres no modern version of that. Its pc vs. sony brand pc. The differences between each are so small as to be redundant. You have to double click a steam icon when you turn it on.
Its a good thing incidentally. Gaming was really splintered back then.
Ah there's loads of difference. You can order a PS5 in about 10 seconds on Amazon. With PCs there's all sorts to consider. Also who has a PC hooked up to their main tele?

hobbers

The FIFA, CoD crowd can fight their own battle's. Its not a concern to me
Make them pay £700 for their next console and £100 per year per game.

Eventually if you keep putting the price up they might end up forced into developing some sort of taste, or at least demand higher standards.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Phil Spencer coming through in the face of adversity, announcing Windows 95 for Xbox.

Let's go baby.

Herman Toothrot

When is this announcement happening?

Feels like it might be the end for the Xbox. If they're letting their exclusives go to Playstation and Nintendo and it's not reciprocated, then what's the point in Xbox? It would be a huge shame if nobody was there to compete and push consoles. Especially given how dated the current generation already feels.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

When is this announcement happening?

Feels like it might be the end for the Xbox. If they're letting their exclusives go to Playstation and Nintendo and it's not reciprocated, then what's the point in Xbox? It would be a huge shame if nobody was there to compete and push consoles. Especially given how dated the current generation already feels.
I'd guess to the back half of next week, and the announcement won't be as bad as people are prophesising.

Herman Toothrot

I'd guess to the back half of next week, and the announcement won't be as bad as people are prophesising.
It would be nice if they just utilised all the massive amount of IP they now own, actually made some games, and then announced that they're letting PlayStation have them all in exchange for their exclusives. The ridiculous war is over and cross-platforming gaming will be the new normal.

Balljy

It would be nice if they just utilised all the massive amount of IP they now own, actually made some games, and then announced that they're letting PlayStation have them all in exchange for their exclusives. The ridiculous war is over and cross-platforming gaming will be the new normal.
There's no chance of Sony or Nintendo going cross platform in the near future with the money they're making. When they do it (Sony anyway), it's years after the initial release so they can make more money from old games on PC. It'd be great if it did happen though.

hobbers

Nintendo monopoly on handheld, Sony monopoly on console, Microsoft monopoly on cloud gaming.

And the PC master race will just keep on trucking.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Predictions?

- Multi-plats coming to PS5 and Switch (Sea of Thieves and Hi-fi Rush with "more to be announced").
- Commitment to the Xbox fanbase that Microsoft will still be supporting the console market in the coming years
- Some unexpected announcement about cloud-based streaming nobody asked for
- A sandwich maker shaped like the original Xbox

Dan

Predictions?

- Multi-plats coming to PS5 and Switch (Sea of Thieves and Hi-fi Rush with "more to be announced").
- Commitment to the Xbox fanbase that Microsoft will still be supporting the console market in the coming years
- Some unexpected announcement about cloud-based streaming nobody asked for
- A sandwich maker shaped like the original Xbox
Xbox handheld.

Dan

Did you also listen to the digital foundry podcast yesterday?

Good shout though
No I haven’t. Just seems there’s a few Steam Deck sized handhelds that have entered the market recently.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Xbox president Sarah Bond reportedly told staff that "every screen is an Xbox". These words come ahead of Microsoft's business update later today, in which the company is expected to lay out its plans to publish some Xbox games on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone using a screen right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Xbox president Sarah Bond reportedly told staff that "every screen is an Xbox". These words come ahead of Microsoft's business update later today, in which the company is expected to lay out its plans to publish some Xbox games on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone using a screen right now.
:lol:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Isn’t Gamepass what they care about most? I can’t see Sony ever allowing it on a PlayStation
Think it's to make up for slowed gamepass growth. I'm sure it's being spun as a way to create a future pipeline with the future of gaming outside consoles in mind.

I guess the smart thing to do would be to have a free entry tier that acts like Ubisoft Connect that even PS Users sign up to for rewards etc. They kind of already have that with Activision games now right? Then they can try to convert those users to paid subscribers over time and remove a signup barrier to those users trying cloud app etc.

Fully Fledged

Isn’t Gamepass what they care about most? I can’t see Sony ever allowing it on a PlayStation
I'm not sure this isn't something to do with streaming. They agreed to give their streaming rights in the EU to Ubisoft. This might just them rolling out streaming to the rest of the world.
What ever it is, I can't wait for them to tell us about it, so the games media can talk about something else.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/15/24073691/microsoft-xbox-games-ps5-nintendo-switch-exclusivity

“We’ve made the decision that we’re going to take four games to the other consoles,” reveals Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer on the official Xbox podcast. Bizarrely, Microsoft is refusing to name the four titles, but the company says that two are community-driven games and the other two are smaller titles.
Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell me the first two titles will be Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment, followed by Sea of Thieves and Grounded. Spencer claims there hasn’t been a change to the company doing Xbox exclusives, yet, at the same time, he also thinks there will be fewer console exclusives across the industry over the next decade.
Spencer confirms that Starfield and Indiana Jones are not part of the first four games, but he doesn’t rule out the possibility for these titles to arrive on PS5 in the future. “I don’t think we should as an industry ever rule out a game going to any other platform,” says Spencer in an interview with The Verge. “We’re focused on these four games and learning from the experience. We don’t have work going on, on other franchises. But for anybody to stand up and say something’s never going to happen, I think it feels like creating more certainty in a world of gaming where you really want to respond to what customers want and what our players and creators are looking for.”