Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Blizzard just need to feck off into oblivion, Acti and Microsoft too

Pretty clear what the model is now, make no new games. Live off of Cod
Why would you need games to go with a console, nah.

hobbers

Why would you need games to go with a console, nah.
Who needs new IP and new experiences when the brain dead masses will just play the same game rereleased every year, and lose their minds because they can now play it without owning it for only £12 a month.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Shite news. Never good to see people lose their jobs.
Even Woodward? Or Bobby Kotick?

I wouldn't mind Damien losing his admin job too. He needs knocking down a peg or two.

Shite news even if expected. Even though lots of places are making redundancies there's a talent shortage generally so hopefully people land on their feet. Must still be a nerve wracking time especially for those at the end that can increasingly be replaced by AI.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Who needs new IP and new experiences when the brain dead masses will just play the same game rereleased every year, and lose their minds because they can now play it without owning it for only £12 a month.
Sold my XSX last year and it was the best decision I made. Nintendo are what's keeping me in gaming to be honest.

Fully Fledged

Even Woodward? Or Bobby Kotick?

I wouldn't mind Damien losing his admin job too. He needs knocking down a peg or two.

Shite news even if expected. Even though lots of places are making redundancies there's a talent shortage generally so hopefully people land on their feet. Must still be a nerve wracking time especially for those at the end that can increasingly be replaced by AI.
They are not people so can feck right off. Sad to see MY go though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Scrapping the Blizzard survival game was surprising as it was in the works for six years and seemed close to a reveal.

In more positive news:

PATCH NOTES
  • Expanded controller support (DualSense) with additional icons for PC.
  • Fixed a very important texture in a cutscene before Track 03.
  • Fixed issue with “No Door Unturned Lvl. 3” and “Challenge S-Ranker Lvl. 3” on the Wall of Fame not being unlocked.
  • Fixed issue with Directional Parry triggering during rhythm parries in the Rhythm Tower.
  • Fixed issue when loading auto-save data during Korsica battle in Track 07, leading to incorrect “Damage Received” in the final result.
  • Fixed issue that causes the Rhythm Parry in a phase transition of Final Boss in Track 12 to not proceed, even when successfully executed.
  • Fixed issue with screen effects displaying incorrectly during game over in BPM Rush and Power Up! Tower Up! modes.
  • Repaired arcade machine and jukebox to improve synergy and play songs correctly when interacting with each other in the Hideout.
  • Fixed a bunch of completely embarrassing typos, misspellings and grammatical errors in menus, costume names, tutorials and VLOGs that our Director was too incompetent to spot when editing. He has been dealt with accordingly.
  • Fixed issue on PC where some UI button icons are covered by text.

Alock1

Good to see Xbox continue leading the way when it comes to driving efficiencies in gaming

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It’s odd because I thought they’d go in the direction of improving cod to show what they can do. Unless this is laying the groundwork for a restructure. It’s pretty clear from all the bugs every update that something wasn’t working but it’s difficult to see where they’re going with this.

Best thing they could do is restructure and change the release schedule to every 2 years, but the latter seems unlikely.

hobbers

They're just doing with Cod what EA did with Fifa.

Whittle down the number of people involved to a skeleton crew since they dont need to make any improvements or even try to fix bugs.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Persona 3 Reload getting great reviews and it’s on Gamepass. Big persona fan and haven’t played it before so looking forward to it.

that said i do wish it was on switch, 70 hours long game is so much better to have a handheld option for these days :(

Damien

Staff
Final Fantasy XIV Open Beta announced: https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f4c4542f86c781dac7b5c69b28f51710c7d9fd95

21st February at 8am GMT, but only available to new players.

The full version of the game will require Game Pass as well as the Final Fantasy XIV subscription:
The Free Trial version, including the open beta test, will not require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play. However, the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play.
on other platforms only the Final Fantasy XIV subscription is needed.

Fully Fledged

Final Fantasy XIV Open Beta announced: https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f4c4542f86c781dac7b5c69b28f51710c7d9fd95

21st February at 8am GMT, but only available to new players.

The full version of the game will require Game Pass as well as the Final Fantasy XIV subscription:

on other platforms only the Final Fantasy XIV subscription is needed.
Core is basically Xbox Gold. You need it to play online.

Games that are free to play don't need it but any game you pay for or that has a subscription you need to have at least core for online mode.

It why the standard Xbox Game Pass won't work as it doesn't have online play.

Massive Spanner

Sony having a monopoly on the market is bad for everyone no matter what “side” you prefer. It’s shit news if they’re giving up, but not surprising with the sales figures of both consoles really.

Coxy

Sony having a monopoly on the market is bad for everyone no matter what “side” you prefer. It’s shit news if they’re giving up, but not surprising with the sales figures of both consoles really.
Agreed.

would have thought they’d give the ABK deal a chance before they made this move. As a PS5 gamer I really hope this doesn’t happen (but looks like it will)

Bebe

It's really weird that they'd make all these acquisitions and now change their strategy in this way (assuming that a number of previously exclusive games will be made available on playstation). They have such a strong lineup of games in the pipeline, likely stronger than Sony's. It'd make more sense to try to pull what Sony managed in the 7th gen, cede a big early lead but make it up in the second half with a focus on strong exclusives.

Terrible news for gaming as a whole in any case. Between the all digital (and much more expensive) way that things are trending and Sony having a virtual monopoly, I am not optimistic about the future of my favourite hobby.

caid

PC's exist and I'd rather no exclusives exist to be honest.

caid

Gaming PCs are a pretty tough sell to the more casual gamer/consumer.
I'm not a casual gamer / consumer. Nintendo Switch will offer competition in that market anyway.
Maybe it'll threaten the PS5 / Series X midground but theres no meaningful competition there anyway. And i dont think i'll miss it to be honest - the remasters / dlc / grindy mmo always online junk / digital only / subscription for online play / expensive as feck day 1 prices. It can all go in the bin

Alock1

I haven't paid attention or looked into the rumours but I thought it was just that Microsoft is first pulling back physical sales (inevitable but sooner than I expected) and second going multiplatform with some licenses?

Are there actually rumours about them pulling out of hardware or is it just people jumping to that conclusion because why would you buy an Xbox if you can get all the games on Playstation?

I expect there to be another dedicated Xbox console for next gen and so long as its the only console that has gamepass ill still be buying it.

Fully Fledged

That's true.
If this happens the next PS exclusive will be £100, and £150 with early access.
It's going to go the way of football pricing the average person out of the game.

Massive Spanner

I'm not a casual gamer / consumer. Nintendo Switch will offer competition in that market anyway.
Maybe it'll threaten the PS5 / Series X midground but theres no meaningful competition there anyway. And i dont think i'll miss it to be honest - the remasters / dlc / grindy mmo always online junk / digital only / subscription for online play / expensive as feck day 1 prices. It can all go in the bin
Good for you pal but I wasn’t talking about you :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It does speak volumes though that I saw the rumours of the first party games that might be coming to PlayStation and thought “I’d only really play one or two of them. Sea of thieves looks a fun one to play with mates for a couple weeks. Starfield looks average but I like Bethesda games so I’d play that for abit, but based on what I’ve seen I think it would be like Fallout 4 where I struggle to finish it. The absolute best part of this would be the possibility that the next Elder Scrolls could be on PlayStation. That would be amazing news for me.

pacifictheme

That's true.
If this happens the next PS exclusive will be £100, and £150 with early access.
It's going to go the way of football pricing the average person out of the game.
It won't because unlike football where there is a finite number of tickets they can definitely sell, there is a point for games where volume sold is more important than profit per unit.

But I do agree that a monopoly is bad generally, I was worried that the cod deal would push Xbox into a monopoly position. It is genuinely amazing that a company as big and powerful and successful as Microsoft couldn't deliver a better product than what it has this gen, especially with some of the first party studios they have bought.

Fully Fledged

It won't because unlike football where there is a finite number of tickets they can definitely sell, there is a point for games where volume sold is more important than profit per unit.

But I do agree that a monopoly is bad generally, I was worried that the cod deal would push Xbox into a monopoly position. It is genuinely amazing that a company as big and powerful and successful as Microsoft couldn't deliver a better product than what it has this gen, especially with some of the first party studios they have bought.
The problem is that Xbox has become such a big part of Microsoft that its drawn the attention of the corporate types. They see the money CoD is making on PS and think they can replicate that with every game.

Remember the likes of Windows Phone and Mixer. They are as likely to do the same with the Xbox Console.

It's funny that the trailer for Fable was Jack and The Beanstalk. Microsoft might just be killing the goose in search of golden eggs.

Last edited:

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Xbox has always been fundamentally uncool. PlayStation for kids has always had that allure about it. Certainly in the UK.

Damien

Staff
I haven't paid attention or looked into the rumours but I thought it was just that Microsoft is first pulling back physical sales (inevitable but sooner than I expected) and second going multiplatform with some licenses?

Are there actually rumours about them pulling out of hardware or is it just people jumping to that conclusion because why would you buy an Xbox if you can get all the games on Playstation?

I expect there to be another dedicated Xbox console for next gen and so long as its the only console that has gamepass ill still be buying it.
Xbox hardware is going nowhere. They'll still make a boatload from sales in the store and the 30%, and if they were to pull out of hardware they know that Apple would fill that gap so fast.

I think the rumours are overblown, but do think there's something to the rumours that either Day One on Game Pass is going to be rolled back for first party games, OR Call of Duty won't be there as they make too much money from selling it. When the Day One pledge was first made, there were five(?) studios. Don't think they ever envisaged having so many studios and not enough Game Pass growth to offset the reduction in sales.

Alock1

Xbox hardware is going nowhere. They'll still make a boatload from sales in the store and the 30%, and if they were to pull out of hardware they know that Apple would fill that gap so fast.

I think the rumours are overblown, but do think there's something to the rumours that either Day One on Game Pass is going to be rolled back for first party games, OR Call of Duty won't be there as they make too much money from selling it. When the Day One pledge was first made, there were five(?) studios. Don't think they ever envisaged having so many studios and not enough Game Pass growth to offset the reduction in sales.
Day 1 is the best thing about gamepass but it probably needs to be limited to Ultimate and no doubt with a further price hike to keep up.

Cod not being included Day 1 seems likely though I agree.