Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I hated hellblade. Awful clunky movement and those stupid puzzles where you had to walk around and match the symbols up… ugh.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The Direct wasn't terrible. As for the first person/third person debate, different people have different preferences and that is fine. Personally I'm not massively into first person - never liked DOOM, my co-ordination was terrible for Destiny (ask anyone I played with how long it took me to complete jumping puzzles) and I got motion sickness every ten mins or so of playing The Lost Archive in Assassin's Creed Revelations.

I'll give Fallout 4 another go later this year but apparently you can switch to third person so I'll probably do that.

Herman Toothrot

I loved Hellblade and cannot wait for the sequel, which is apparently shorter, but hopefully expands on the limited gameplay from the original.

Didn't like the sound of Indy in first person, but having watched the studio explain their take on it, I'm fine with it. The one thing that chills my blood is 'Todd Howard' named in the title of the trailer. At what point is Microsoft going to understand that this prick is not a selling point?

Fully Fledged

The Direct wasn't terrible. As for the first person/third person debate, different people have different preferences and that is fine. Personally I'm not massively into first person - never liked DOOM, my co-ordination was terrible for Destiny (ask anyone I played with how long it took me to complete jumping puzzles) and I got motion sickness every ten mins or so of playing The Lost Archive in Assassin's Creed Revelations.

I'll give Fallout 4 another go later this year but apparently you can switch to third person so I'll probably do that.
I Played it in 3rd person, same with Starfield.

Reactions: Damien

Bebe

I would always lean to a third person perspective where available. I don’t actually find first person that immersive, personally I think you can role play better in third person, being able to see your character. In games that offer the choice (GTA, Red Dead, Skyrim to name afew) I will almost exclusively play in third person. I find combat in third person largely more engaging too. The big thing for me is movement, in third it feels much more fluid to me and while games like Dying Light 2 do a good job of providing a framework for first person traversal, I still think it falls short of freedom offered in third person games.

I think the obsession with first person heavily links to the growth of popular shooters like COD/Battlefield and for many of those players, first person feels more accessible. I’ve never really been into first person shooters as much as many people so I think that partly explains my preferences.
Fair enough. It's always interesting to see the way people's tastes differ - I chose to play Red Dead 2 in first person pretty much throughout, despite it clearly having been made with third person in mind. The game and world was so compelling and lovingly made that I couldn't resist putting myself as "in" the world as I could manage. Personally I find first person generally to be more immersive, especially for games like Dishonored or while sneaking around in Skyrim. It takes me out of the experience a bit when I can rotate the camera to look around a wall when my character would have no way of seeing that.

I'm not sure I've ever played a first person game where melee combat felt good, so I'd certainly agree with that. Certain kinds of movement (Uncharted style climbing for example) I'd definitely prefer third person as well. The recent (well, not that recent anymore) Deus Ex games did a really good job with this imo where the camera pops out into third person when you go into cover.

Modern gaming doesn't have an obsession with first person though, I'd argue it's the opposite. Feels like the overwhelming majority of big blockbuster games in at least the last decade has been third person. First person used to be big in the early days of Doom and Quake and especially after Half-Life, but nowadays?
I'd agree with @Ainu here, I don't think gaming has an obsession with first person at all. As a first person fan I usually feel irritated that so few games with that perspective are available. It's also not something that, for me, came from playing first person shooters as I didn't play too many of those. For me it's games I played in the late 00s, early 10s (Deus Ex, Dishonored, Bethesda games, Bioshock) that give me a first person itch I always want scratched.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I hated hellblade. Awful clunky movement and those stupid puzzles where you had to walk around and match the symbols up… ugh.
Yeah I wasn’t mad about it either. I was always a bit confused with the reception it got. But the sound was amazing and it also dealt with mental illness very well too. So always assumed it was more for those reasons that it being an actual fun video game

Bebe

As for the Direct:

Hellblade - Not really my kind of game but looks good enough to try out once I get around to playing the first one. High quality title for Xbox which is really nice to see.

Avowed - Obsidian have made some of my favourite games (I even liked the Outer Worlds) but I'm not terribly impressed by what we've seen so far. I've faith in the studio though so I assume I'll be playing it day one or close to.

Ara - Every word of that preview spoke to my grand strategy starved little heart. Hadn't heard of it before, very interested now.

Visions of Mana - Not my thing, skipped over it.

Indiana Jones - Looked cool and worth checking out, although some of the "Indiana Jones is this massive franchise" talk was a bit weird for me. Does anyone care that much about Indiana Jones in 2024? Did they in 2004? From what I recall, the recent movie bombed spectacularly. That being said I'm much more interested in the game than I was before this reveal.

Overall, great and concise show from Xbox that makes me more happy about owning a Series X. Hopefully this standard of releases continues for a few years as all the MS acquisitions start to bear fruit. It really is awesome that these will all be on GamePass and I can effectively rent these (because I simply wouldn't be willing to pay $80 to try Hellblade, for example) for $15. The "game rental" market gap has been on my mind a lot recently and it really is a relief that MS have, perhaps unintentionally, offered a service that fills that gap.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Fair enough. It's always interesting to see the way people's tastes differ - I chose to play Red Dead 2 in first person pretty much throughout, despite it clearly having been made with third person in mind. The game and world was so compelling and lovingly made that I couldn't resist putting myself as "in" the world as I could manage. Personally I find first person generally to be more immersive, especially for games like Dishonored or while sneaking around in Skyrim. It takes me out of the experience a bit when I can rotate the camera to look around a wall when my character would have no way of seeing that.

I'm not sure I've ever played a first person game where melee combat felt good, so I'd certainly agree with that. Certain kinds of movement (Uncharted style climbing for example) I'd definitely prefer third person as well. The recent (well, not that recent anymore) Deus Ex games did a really good job with this imo where the camera pops out into third person when you go into cover.

I'd agree with @Ainu here, I don't think gaming has an obsession with first person at all. As a first person fan I usually feel irritated that so few games with that perspective are available. It's also not something that, for me, came from playing first person shooters as I didn't play too many of those. For me it's games I played in the late 00s, early 10s (Deus Ex, Dishonored, Bethesda games, Bioshock) that give me a first person itch I always want scratched.
To be fair my absolute preference is the ability to change on the fly. I get that’s a lot more effort for game developers but I like being to switch. For example while I play most of Skyrim or Red Dead in third person I like to switch to first when looking certain objects (to get a closer view). In Skyrim I like changing to first for certain combat scenarios so they both have their benefits. I was disappointed that cyberpunk didn’t offer high first and third person gameplay.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I liked Hellblade for its atmosphere and intensity. But it was a bit too basic and clunky as a video game. Despite it being Xbox exclusive hoepfully they expand it as a proper video game. Based on the first one I’m sure the cinematic and character bits will be good.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's 8 hours long which feels perfect to me for something quite intense

Obviously it's easier to accept that with it being on gamepass too.
Perhaps, though I haven't checked how long the first game took me (though I do study every little bit of games like this so my playthrough would be a lot longer anyway) I'm not sure that was much longer than 8hrs for most.

I just hope it's as thoughtful and interesting as the first. I don't want it turned into some generic action game like others seem to want, it's fine to have variation and the game stay in the walking sim/story genre. The whole point of the sluggishness and movement style was to convey the sense of dread and effort to drag yourself to do anything when it comes to mental health.

Though I do agree with @Massive Spanner that the puzzles were pretty shite. It reminds me of that Jedi game where they clearly took inspiration from other games (like the Witness/Talos with the puzzles, GOW/Souls with the combat) but missed the mark. The atmosphere, story and attention to detail on the side of MH issues carried it through. That and the wonderful acting, I'm glad she's back.

Fully Fledged

I smell the "adorably all-digital" Series X refresh announcement coming soon.

In other news, Quake 6 teaser: https://www.resetera.com/threads/hey-uh…-did-none-of-y’all-notice-the-quake-tease-in-the-developer_direct.807246/post-117837681
I think that day one GP makes physical games an expensive luxury. While people will have brought the special edition copies most people who played it will have done so through GP. If they then chose to buy it they will use the GP discount to get it digitally.
The fact that you can then share the digital purchase with somebody else to half the cost make physical editions more of a luxury.
Third point, you can't play physical games on your pc.

Fully Fledged

Perhaps, though I haven't checked how long the first game took me (though I do study every little bit of games like this so my playthrough would be a lot longer anyway) I'm not sure that was much longer than 8hrs for most.

I just hope it's as thoughtful and interesting as the first. I don't want it turned into some generic action game like others seem to want, it's fine to have variation and the game stay in the walking sim/story genre. The whole point of the sluggishness and movement style was to convey the sense of dread and effort to drag yourself to do anything when it comes to mental health.

Though I do agree with @Massive Spanner that the puzzles were pretty shite. It reminds me of that Jedi game where they clearly took inspiration from other games (like the Witness/Talos with the puzzles, GOW/Souls with the combat) but missed the mark. The atmosphere, story and attention to detail on the side of MH issues carried it through. That and the wonderful acting, I'm glad she's back.
I agree. It was the feel of the game, the story, and how they chose to tell it that made the game memorable.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I really really want to love Hellblade, so I can look forward to Hellblade 2, but yea I agree to the person above that the puzzles were getting annoying and repetitive.

It's an absolute beauty to look at and listen to, with the constant voices, but from a gameplay perspective it is difficult to want to continue to play.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’ve just started playing Hellblade. It is a lovely made game - some puzzles are annoying.

Is this Pokémon ripoff actually any good?

amolbhatia50k

It’s not really about becoming generic but rather aiming for genuine excellence. I liked the first game for its visual and sound design with the narrative / writing also being pretty good. But as tor the game game it was just decent - not due to the sluggishness but simply the core mechanics in how well done / fun they were. All in all it was definitely one I liked - probably would be give it a solid 8/10 or something. Like I said hopefully the sequel (although I don’t have an Xbox) builds on that - less in visual scope but more in gameplay scope.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
For stuff coming out this year how do Nintendo and Sony compare?
Nintendo has very little announced beyond H1 as they will most likely release a new console in Q3/Q4, and will launch it with a couple of big games. It's basically Princess Peach and a couple of remakes only so far.

amolbhatia50k

Nintendo has very little announced beyond H1 as they will most likely release a new console in Q3/Q4, and will launch it with a couple of big games. It's basically Princess Peach and a couple of remakes only so far.
Yet they’ll probably end up with 2 highly rated games which will cross Xbox’s highly rated games by 2.

Stactix

I’ve just started playing Hellblade. It is a lovely made game - some puzzles are annoying.

Is this Pokémon ripoff actually any good?
Yeah it's good fun, blows recent Pokemon games out of the water.
It is more like Ark survival though imo

hobbers

Blizzard just need to feck off into oblivion, Acti and Microsoft too

Pretty clear what the model is now, make no new games. Live off of Cod