Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fully Fledged

I have all the time in the world for you mate, but when it comes to joking about this stuff I'm just going to rant:

None of this is funny to me, none of it is anything other than scumbags doing scumbag things. I'm sure even @Alock1 gets me when I say you have people who try to work hard and love the industry, and you have money cnuts who invest. Nothing going on right now is a surprise, I've spoken about this over and over. GP, cloud, streaming...it all comes from the same place and leads to the money going where it goes. And let's be honest here, the money in gaming is only growing, it's fecking huge and bigger than other comparative media. Yet there are endless layoffs? There's problems sustaining? Yeah. I wonder why.

M$ did this with Rare, just like they've done this with every dev they've bought. They don't give a shit. Sony though, they are worse it just doesn't get publicised as much. People shit on Nintendo for their policies, but if you looked into them for a few minutes you'd see why they still remain despite the clear fact they shouldn't. Values matter, quality matters. I've worked with all these companies and it all comes down to who stands by what they do most.

But nothing I say matters. Nothing I have ever said on here will make a slight bit of difference. I just hope people get their worth out of it, because gaming is just another form of entertainment, and if you get that then who gives a shit about anything else.

vidyoyo is a prick
I totally agree. I complained in the other place that nobody said anything about closures. The idea that the gaming side of MS made a massive profit and they are still laying people off is obscene to me. I know that it was ABK that made that profit but what else did they release in that quarter?

My big worry is they look at the money that CoD makes and expect every game to produce that kind of return. Corporate greed is dragging gaming down again.

I feel for everybody that put their heart and soul into HiFi Rush only to lose their job because Xbox is switching focus. and everybody that was forced into making Redfall in an attempt to ride the GaaS game money train only to lose their jobs.

The reason that MS buying Zenimax was supposed to be a good thing was that it would shelter the studios form one misstep. Can anyone take a risk now?

The one bit of humour that I will inject in here is the irony that the Fable trailer we saw last year was based on Jack and the beanstalk and I can see them slaying the goose.

Fully Fledged

It won't actually be 60fps though, no matter the tv you are supposed to have to make it happen.

The sandwich was always a lie.
I know that it wont be constant. That's why you need a VRR screen to stop taring. I'd say that it was the 60fps consoles that was a lie, because devs are always going to try and push the envelope on what they can do in a game, and some game engines are harder to optimise than others.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I totally agree. I complained in the other place that nobody said anything about closures. The idea that the gaming side of MS made a massive profit and they are still laying people off is obscene to me. I know that it was ABK that made that profit but what else did they release in that quarter?

My big worry is they look at the money that CoD makes and expect every game to produce that kind of return. Corporate greed is dragging gaming down again.

I feel for everybody that put their heart and soul into HiFi Rush only to lose their job because Xbox is switching focus. and everybody that was forced into making Redfall in an attempt to ride the GaaS game money train only to lose their jobs.

The reason that MS buying Zenimax was supposed to be a good thing was that it would shelter the studios form one misstep. Can anyone take a risk now?

The one bit of humour that I will inject in here is the irony that the Fable trailer we saw last year was based on Jack and the beanstalk and I can see them slaying the goose.
As I've said time and again, the Xbox division was up for sale a long time ago. Gates had a vision for it but as soon as he was out of the picture, they wanted rid as even though it is nothing more than an accounting error to them it became more and more about the brand. They don't care about taking on Sony nor Nintendo, they are so much bigger it was never a thing to them as a whole. The only thing keeping it interesting for them was the sign ups to the GP as cloud is the future, but now that's stagnating look where the eyes are...shocking I know, but that miniscule part of the company went and got embroiled in a multi billion take over and suddenly it matters, suddenly they have to make profit. Which the GP doesn't.

It's basically like what's happened at Netflix and Uber, it's all well and good having the investment and squeezing the life out of everyone else, but that money eventually needs to be paid back. MS could do this again a thousand times over, but of course they don't have to so it's time to cut costs instead. They've always treated companies they buy out this way it's absolutely no shock how they behave and who they feck over, as long as they stay on top.

I know that it wont be constant. That's why you need a VRR screen to stop taring. I'd say that it was the 60fps consoles that was a lie, because devs are always going to try and push the envelope on what they can do in a game, and some game engines are harder to optimise than others.
I could go full nerd and bore you on this subject, but I'll spare you :lol: Just know, it's not the "devs" that have anything to do with it really. There are many reasons we still have consoles that can't reach the bare minimum of what we should expect these days, but still a premium price for the machines all the same.

Fully Fledged

As I've said time and again, the Xbox division was up for sale a long time ago. Gates had a vision for it but as soon as he was out of the picture, they wanted rid as even though it is nothing more than an accounting error to them it became more and more about the brand. They don't care about taking on Sony nor Nintendo, they are so much bigger it was never a thing to them as a whole. The only thing keeping it interesting for them was the sign ups to the GP as cloud is the future, but now that's stagnating look where the eyes are...shocking I know, but that miniscule part of the company went and got embroiled in a multi billion take over and suddenly it matters, suddenly they have to make profit. Which the GP doesn't.

It's basically like what's happened at Netflix and Uber, it's all well and good having the investment and squeezing the life out of everyone else, but that money eventually needs to be paid back. MS could do this again a thousand times over, but of course they don't have to so it's time to cut costs instead. They've always treated companies they buy out this way it's absolutely no shock how they behave and who they feck over, as long as they stay on top.

I could go full nerd and bore you on this subject, but I'll spare you :lol: Just know, it's not the "devs" that have anything to do with it really. There are many reasons we still have consoles that can't reach the bare minimum of what we should expect these days, but still a premium price for the machines all the same.
I said it the other day on another site, that buying ABK was a mistake as it brought gaming right into the focus of the money men. Gaming getting above Windows for a quarter had them all excited.

The last thing you want as a passion project is to gain the notice of corporate. It's not like ABK currently make anything I want to play.

Fell free to disagree with me again.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Telling Lambs 'feel free to disagree with me' is the most unnecessary statement ever, even more pointless than this post.

I bet he's quoted his own post before and started to argue before realising just before submitting that he's debating himself. Man will always find a way

Redlambs

I said it the other day on another site, that buying ABK was a mistake as it brought gaming right into the focus of the money men. Gaming getting above Windows for a quarter had them all excited.

The last thing you want as a passion project is to gain the notice of corporate. It's not like ABK currently make anything I want to play.

Fell free to disagree with me again.
I didn't disagree with you in my post, I thought we were having a chat about it. Unless I've missed something?

Fully Fledged

I didn't disagree with you in my post, I thought we were having a chat about it. Unless I've missed something?
Sorry, I didn't think you would take that so personally. You know more about the industry than I do. I'm happy for you to disagree with me. I won't always take you disagreeing with me as you being right I still have my opinion.

Redlambs

Sorry, I didn't think you would take that so personally. You know more about the industry than I do. I'm happy for you to disagree with me. I won't always take you disagreeing with me as you being right I still have my opinion.
Again, I didn't think I did disagree with you. I thought we were having a conversation and were saying the same thing, and you seem to have suddenly gone weird about it.

But then again, I know why you are being like this and why a certain little hobbit has shown up so I'll leave you guys to it :lol:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
See what I mean. Disagreeing about whether they were disagreeing.

Fully Fledged

As I said. I don't mind you disagreeing with me when you know more than I do. It wasn't meant as a slight or taken the wrong way. It's all good in a conversation, hopefully.

Redlambs

As I said. I don't mind you disagreeing with me when you know more than I do. It wasn't meant as a slight or taken the wrong way. It's all good in a conversation, hopefully.
Have you taken umbrage that I spoke up for them? Because I wasn't digging you out, it's just a common misconception. And I was mocking myself with the bit about sparing you me going full nerd, you don't need me to bang on about it all and you probably know why these machines still suffer anyway.

But do me a favour, even though I know he sees everything I post anyway, message Frodo and let him know he is still a coward for dodging me at Mario Kart. Also, send him my best, I genuinely hope he isn't affected by the latest round of industry bullshit. Ta!

Fully Fledged

Have you taken umbrage that I spoke up for them? Because I wasn't digging you out, it's just a common misconception. And I was mocking myself with the bit about sparing you me going full nerd, you don't need me to bang on about it all and you probably know why these machines still suffer anyway.

But do me a favour, even though I know he sees everything I post anyway, message Frodo and let him know he is still a coward for dodging me at Mario Kart. Also, send him my best, I genuinely hope he isn't affected by the latest round of industry bullshit. Ta!
There is no umbrage. As I said if you took what I said as a slight don't. I'm trying to say I'm not saying anything against you.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm finding it difficult to finish Hellblade 1 because the gameplay is repetitive (though it's also atmospheric and stressful as f*ck) but still want to try 2 atleast once. Don't think it should be a big issue to start 2 without finishing 1. Hopefully they've made the gameplay a bit more varied.

Redlambs

But it's just a normal conversation. You've played yourself mate.
You are so weird :lol:

It's truly remarkable how much people fell for the "this game is just soooo complex and CPU heavy that 60fps is an unreasonable expectation".
I'm not sure people fell for it as such, just the usual lot talking about shit they don't understand putting up YT videos and the likes pretending that the sandwich physics was the issue whilst building hype and downplaying the clear problems.

Some like to run interference for these companies and this kind of thing. In reality, it's Bethesda and we all knew what it would be like even if we wanted to try be positive about a new game and IP :(

BristolRuss

"Microsoft's Activision subsidiary announced today that it is opening a new game development studio to take advantage of the huge talent pool growing in Poland. It'll be the second Activision studio based in the region, joining Infinity Ward Krakow, although this studio is, in fact, not working on Call of Duty.

Elsewhere Entertainment is an all-new studio incubating an all-new franchise, boasting industry vets. The new studio is based in Warsaw "with additional resources in the United States," and enjoys alumni from franchises like The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Far Cry, and more.

"Built from the ground up, Elsewhere Entertainment is a premier and standalone studio dedicated to establishing an environment that inspires bold and diverse ideas. The team’s underlying mission encourages everyone to explore and collaborate creatively to craft a franchise with an enduring legacy that resonates far beyond games.

The new studio has full access to Activision’s resources and tools as it continues to increase production and development. Elsewhere is opening its search for best-in-class talent from across the industry and around the world to help create a state-of-the-art and next generation gaming experience."

While not yet named, Activision spokespeople told us that Elsewhere Entertainment is working on a narrative-based "AAA" game, and is a completely new franchise. Activision also tells us that Elsewhere has been operating in stealth mode up until now, and is seeking to build up its studio with a new vacancies website for Elsewhere here. "

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm looking forward to digging into Hellblade 2, tomorrow. It seems like headphones are a must!

I bought a switch so I have not played xbox much recently.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Happy Hellblade II release day everyone. Reviews out: https://www.metacritic.com/game/senuas-saga-hellblade-ii/

I'm finding it difficult to finish Hellblade 1 because the gameplay is repetitive (though it's also atmospheric and stressful as f*ck) but still want to try 2 atleast once. Don't think it should be a big issue to start 2 without finishing 1. Hopefully they've made the gameplay a bit more varied.
Apparently not according to PureXbox:
  • Loses a lot of character in its combat encounters compared to predecessor
  • Combat feels clunky and unsatisfying, as well as hugely repetitive
  • Puzzles are very bland
But then Klobrille feels differently:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I wasnt mad keen on the first. But its on GP so will try it

Its meant to be very short which works for me

DavelinaJolie

Looking forward to Hellblade, won't read reviews in case of spoilers but did see 3uroGamer gave it a 5, which is uncharacteristic of them.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
A bit more on the combat mechanics and puzzles: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/video-games/2024/05/21/senuas-saga-hellblade-ii-review/

The sequel is a lesser game than its predecessor. There are fewer combat mechanics in play, removing the melee button and directional attacks and replacing them with nothing.

The scale of the puzzles are also smaller, as the game's level design has shrunk. The former game had larger areas with vertical structures. This game's level design is mostly a straight line, with a few small puzzle areas to break up the pacing.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It never struck me as a game that needed a sequel. The first was a game with limited gameplay but was still a very cool experience with the audio, facial animation, story etc.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm looking forward to digging into Hellblade 2, tomorrow. It seems like headphones are a must!

I bought a switch so I have not played xbox much recently.
The first one was definitely must play on headphones. Don't get anywhere near the same atmospheric tension without them.

I see people have issues with the game being short, 6-8 hrs playtime. I don't care if it's short as long as those 6-8 hrs are enjoyable. Portal 2 and Max Payne 2 are one of my favorite games of all time and both were similar length, didn't ruin the experience one bit.

evil_geko

Played Hellblade 2 for a few hours, really like it so far. Absence of any hud at all makes it really immersive too.

Avoided the reviews because they lost all meaning, most of todays game critics are unreliable. So many people today play "Metacritic" more than actual video games.