Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's like £30 cheaper based on RRP, though if you bought through deals you'd probably get it cheaper shopping around. That isn't the point though - it's that it offers interest free, 2 year payment option. An affordable plan bundling in the expensive device, similar to a phone contract.

People aren't doing it to save money but to make more affordable payments and have it all in one convenient bundle.
Of course. Didn't think of that. Makes sense now. Didn't want to think I had missed a trick just getting the console!

Adamsk7

Not sure I understand buying the all access bundle? How much cheaper does it work out rather than buying the console and game pass seperately?
It’s about £20 cheaper on the X and £10 on the S, which is still better than 0%. However, when you account for the fact that MS are still doing Gold converted to Game Pass for £1 and places like Cd keys offer Game Pass codes for considerably cheaper, if you have the cash upfront it will still be the cheapest way to get an Xbox and game pass if you’re smart + also you have the chance of cancelling game pass if you’re not using it regularly enough

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Xbox Series X = £450
GamePass Ultimate £15 p/m *24 = £360
Total = £910

All Access = £35 *24 = £840 total
It's £11 in UK not £15. Also your maths is £100 off, £810 vs £840 based on those numbers. All Access is £29pm and not £35 too.

So it's £450 + £264 = £714
24*£29 = £696

so £18 saving if you were to buy at RRP.

Alock1

But worth noting, CDKEYS has 3 months of Gamepass Ultimate for £22 (so 3 months for the price of 2). So if you buy 2 years on that upfront, it's £176 (vs the £264 if you pay monthly)

Bojan11

Smyth Toys and Game still down from the All Access stuff.

I must admit I'm really surprised MS didn't offer that direct or via more retailers since Kaplan are facilitating it.They'd have absolutely cleaned up. I've got loads of mates who can easily afford to pay downright wanting to get All Access.

Maybe it's to keep Game happy? Dunno.
GAME are still down after 5 hours. This is a blatant ploy to get you in their stores and they’d probably try to sell you a dodgy second hand phone whilst you there.

Smyths site is working. Just the x section isn’t working. So both probably want people in their shops.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
But worth noting, CDKEYS has 3 months of Gamepass Ultimate for £22 (so 3 months for the price of 2). So if you buy 2 years on that upfront, it's £176 (vs the £264 if you pay monthly)
Eh? Is that legit? Will that go up in price or should I just stock up on a couple years of that now?

Havak

Pokemon master
It's £11 in UK not £15. Also your maths is £100 off, £810 vs £840 based on those numbers. All Access is £29pm and not £35 too.

So it's £450 + £264 = £714
24*£29 = £696

so £18 saving if you were to buy at RRP.
Cheers, typo for that but had wrong numbers for All-Access based on an image I saw. It had the prices as £24.99 and £34.99 GPB for some reason, so I thought it was those all along!

Alock1

Cheers, typo for that but had wrong numbers for All-Access based on an image I saw. It had the prices as £24.99 and £34.99 GPB for some reason, so I thought it was those all along!
They're the USD prices so probably just lazy conversion or guesswork before GBP price was released :)

Havak

Pokemon master
That's honestly not even that bad a price for an extra 1tb.
Agreed, I think the actual drives will cost that much anyway so it isn't like they're massively overpricing it when compared to something like the Vita storage when that happened.

They're the USD prices so probably just lazy conversion or guesswork before GBP price was released :)
Yeah haha I am not someone actually looking to get these machines yet but Microsoft is doing a lot IMO to make it a convincing and value-worthy purchase. Getting All-Access in a year or two is something I am strongly considering.

Alock1

Smyths have hundreds in store, almost a full number. Don't do access though in store.
You haven't been around to tell us how bad the Zenimax acquisition is for the industry yet or how MS are gonna feck them all up.. ??

BristolRuss

Agreed, I think the actual drives will cost that much anyway so it isn't like they're massively overpricing it when compared to something like the Vita storage when that happened.
Yep. I think that will even be cheaper than getting a new SSD for the PS5. Does the PS5 have a second M.2 bay for expansion or do you have to take out the original SSD and slot in a larger capacity one? Because if it's the latter then ouch.

Bojan11

Yep. I think that will even be cheaper than getting a new SSD for the PS5. Does the PS5 have a second M.2 bay for expansion or do you have to take out the original SSD and slot in a larger capacity one? Because if it's the latter then ouch.
PS5 should be more expensive at the start as the SSD cards that the PS5 needs are not on the market. In a few years they should be cheaper.

Havak

Pokemon master
I am pretty sure they'll have a solution for an additional storage to be plugged in but it won't be as straightforward as the Xbox solution looking at the images so far. There will probably be a PS5 teardown next month to let us know.

It'll be an interesting one as Sony will be releasing a list of drives that will be supported and probably more importantly are actually able to slot into the PS5. It could go a lot of ways. Eg. Maybe the drives released that work in the PS5 are at first all £250+ drives? Alternatively a company could create one that is perfect for the PS5 and they manage to undercut the Xbox version... I expect this to be something that isn't worked out properly until well into next year, but at first I do expect Sony's solution to be the more expensive of the two and the most confusing for your average customer.

Edit: Although all that said, I don't think either company will be bothered about getting into a pissing contest over the price of additional storage. People will choose their console based on reasons other than an SSD costing £20 more or whatever. People will just buy the storage at the price offered regardless if they want it.

Last edited:

BristolRuss

PS5 should be more expensive at the start as the SSD cards that the PS5 needs are not on the market. In a few years they should be cheaper.
There are some gen-4 M.2 SSD's on the market which should be suitable for the PS5, but going from the stock 825gb to 2tb will cost you about £360 at current prices. That is a hell of a lot more expensive then the £160 it will cost to take the XSX up to 2tb.

Alock1

Series X btw. £25 deposit which you can get refunded if you talk to the right person too.
No X's at Smyths near me, that's frustrating as a few of us wanted to do All Access.

Bojan11

There are some gen-4 M.2 SSD's on the market which should be suitable for the PS5, but going from the stock 825gb to 2tb will cost you about £360 at current prices. That is a hell of a lot more expensive then the £160 it will cost to take the XSX up to 2tb.
Yeah, have to wait and see. As Sony said they will validate the list of storage cards that should work, but that will happen most likely after the console is out.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
No X's at Smyths near me, that's frustrating as a few of us wanted to do All Access.
Yeah, I'd put it down to covid more than anything if I'm honest. I can't see these not being wanted, although I forgot to ask about the PS5 situation.

I've had mine secured for ages, but we decided to get another as a present on a whim about an hour ago so I wanted to do all access on that, but it's definitely online only. However, like I say, despite having a no refund policy they can actually refund you if they choose to do so, so I'll probably still try when they get the site back up.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I got an email from Klarna saying my direct debit is set up though so not sure if that means anything.