Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bojan11

Silent, crazy impressed with how quiet it is. PS5 is meant to be as quiet (maybe quieter not sure).

It's a big win on One X and particularly the PS4 Pro. I didn't even have a Pro but I could hear the fan through my mates mic. It was awful in the summer.
My one X was quiet.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
These consoles both have disappointing performances so far.

no locked 4k 60 on cross-gen games?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It should work on any game that doesn't require a constant connection to a service to be honest. Lots of games these days do have that to be fair.

It would still typically get you to the main menu quicker than booting even on those games mind.
First of all, to answer your earlier questions, it's a system built on top of two other systems. You have the Xbox UI built on top of the MS store built on top of a stripped Windows 10. That's why it has multiple stupid logins and button presses for certain things, for example redeeming the free stuff you get with the gamepass: You can't just click on it and get it, it takes you to a code screen then an enter the code screen, then 2 confirmation screens. And, here's the thing, my boy didn't know he had to go through all that so he panicked when he only did the first screen because if you don't go through all the others it disappears off the freebie screen. Instead I found if in the redeemed codes screen, even though it wasn't actually redeemed. It's classic MS store.

I'm actually really surprised and disappointed in how it all works, having dealt with all this shite on the PC version I thought for sure it would just be a dedicated Xbox UI and the MS store would be taken out for the console, but sadly not. I mean I deal with multiple stores, the PSN, Steam, Epic, Battlenet, even bloody Origin to name a few and they are all contained. They all have their issues, but they are at least focused. The Xbox is a frankenstein of 3 systems cobbled together and it shows, it's not intuitive at all in way too many cases.

I do actually like the console itself though, I like the look more than I'd thought and I like the controller. It's clear where they've cut the corners in development (UI and controller) to keep the price down, but the overall thing is very nice for that price.

Anyway, you might be able to help me mate as I've two questions on the new one where I might be being an idiot:

1) Do you HAVE to sign into a MS email account for a new profile? I hate that it's already linked to my PC on the main one (stupid fecking "achievements" show up on my bloody monitor, MS are horrible for that stuff. I can stop it, but it's still tedious), but for additional ones am I missing a way to just have a local profile?

2) When playing the 360 games, like Gears for example, is it always a case of having to download profiles just to play them? I've played Perfect Dark and Gears 1 now and BOTH needed me to download the same series X profile! And multiple to play splitscreen. That's ridiculously inconvenient.

Last edited:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
My one X was quiet.
I'd heard / read on games like Red Dead some could get pretty loud, but was otherwise much quieter than the Pro.

Either way these new ones seem to both do great for noise

Alock1

Horizon 4 has native 4k locked 60, right? Sure there are a number of others too.

Not fussed personally. Locked and high frames with a dynamic res for all I care. Whatever makes the game look best for solid performance.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
PS4 PRO was ridiculous for noise. It would be remiss of me not to mention the jet engine joke one more time.

Redlambs

I mean, for a start, some of us did try to warn people. All this talk of "2080 equivalent!" was always misleading. Even with a lot of the tech videos, they do the same creator content of over hyping to guarantee future early freebies. It's just how it works whether some people want to believe that or not. The X is a powerful beast, but it's still a small(ish) form console with constraints, 4k @ 60fps even on the last gen games simply isn't achievable for a lot of game types without some clever trickery at least.

However in terms of the cross-gen games they won't always allow the full potential for various reasons. They aren't going to develop entirely separate versions, understandably so. The MS first person titles will likely run better though.

Redlambs

PS4 PRO was ridiculous for noise. It would be remiss of me not to mention the jet engine joke one more time.
See, mine is absolutely fine and it was a day one. Granted though, I do clean it regularly and it's always been well ventilated.

Still pretty noisy for a console though and as @Alock1 has said, so far the Series X has been super quiet. Although let's see after real performance games come into it and they've had more than a few days use...

Castia

A lot of games running on ever better hardware than next gen consoles struggle to run 4K 60 it’s nowhere near the standard at the minute

Paxi

No. It was never going to happen. Its a constant arms race between devs and technology available to them. With some terrible optimisation sprinkled in.
New 3090 can't run Watch Dogs on ultra @ 4K 60.

Shark

@NotShark
A lot of games running on ever better hardware than next gen consoles struggle to run 4K 60 it’s nowhere near the standard at the minute
Exactly. PC gamers online and I'm one myself, would have you believe that everyone is rocking 4K 60fps machines when it's still a vast minority. These consoles are still very powerful and Ray Tracing will make such a massive difference also.

Paxi

See, mine is absolutely fine and it was a day one. Granted though, I do clean it regularly and it's always been well ventilated.

Still pretty noisy for a console though and as @Alock1 has said, so far the Series X has been super quiet. Although let's see after real performance games come into it and they've had more than a few days use...
I actually don't mind the noise. Fan curves on my PC are ridiculous. It actually does sound like a jet engine but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as the fans were designed to do the job that they're doing. Captain obvios here. :lol: Seriously though, I have my headset on and I can't hear shit except for the game I'm running.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
As I was saying, I should be hearing some noise, though? If I get close to it? Sorry I get paranoid about shit like this :lol:

Paxi

Exactly. Many PC gamers online and I'm one myself, would have you believe that everyone is rocking 4K 60fps machines when it's still a vast minority. These consoles are still very very powerful and Ray Tracing will make such a massive difference also.
We don't even know the RDNA2 rt performance yet. Closest we've got to knowing is digital foundry posting a video on watch dog legion performance and on amd it looks very average. Likewise, NVidia's performance hasn't really changed either as proven by hardware unboxed in their 3070 review.

Paxi

As I was saying, I should be hearing some noise, though? If I get close to it? Sorry I get paranoid about shit like this :lol:
That's totally normal mate. Fans are there to cool the gpu and cpu. If you didn't hear any noise whatsoever, I'd be worried then.

Alock1

True! Early days so far.

Alock1

Jedi Fallen Order's load times are still crap.
Does it even have loading after the initial boot? I swear so far it's been gameplay and cutscenes. Unless you've been skipping the cutscenes.

To be honest backwards compatible you expect the load times to still be a bit slow. They weren't built with the SSD in mind, and have things like splash screens in place to combat it.

What I find a bit more bizarre is games that have been optimized for Series S / X but not paying any attention to the boot / load and trying to speed that process up (looking at you Ori)

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
My one X was quiet.
Mir was quiet for me too, but there was always a noticeable increase in fan speed and more noise when you went from dashboard to a game - Series X is unbelievably quiet in every state, dashboard or in the throws of a game

Redlambs

I actually don't mind the noise. Fan curves on my PC are ridiculous. It actually does sound like a jet engine but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as the fans were designed to do the job that they're doing. Captain obvios here. :lol: Seriously though, I have my headset on and I can't hear shit except for the game I'm running.
You can always spot the people who haven't played on PC can't you? :lol:

Fan noise under load, now suddenly you don't have loading waits on the UI...because ssd...it's like a new world to these guys ;)

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Mir was quiet for me too, but there was always a noticeable increase in fan speed and more noise when you went from dashboard to a game - Series X is unbelievably quiet in every state, dashboard or in the throws of a game
Since I'm asking in here, can you here yours if you get close to it?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Does it even have loading after the initial boot? I swear so far it's been gameplay and cutscenes. Unless you've been skipping the cutscenes.

To be honest backwards compatible you expect the load times to still be a bit slow. They weren't built with the SSD in mind, and have things like splash screens in place to combat it.

What I find a bit more bizarre is games that have been optimized for Series S / X but not paying any attention to the boot / load and trying to speed that process up (looking at you Ori)
I loaded it up and switched to two different planets and it seemed the same as when I last played it. Unless I'm misremembering that. It took a while, anyway.

Adamsk7

Witcher 3 fast travel is literally instant. IRS fantastic. Breathed new life in to one of my favourite games.

Also there are quite a few Xbox One games that are 4K 60 aren’t there? Aren’t Forza and Gears?

Redlambs

Exactly. PC gamers online and I'm one myself, would have you believe that everyone is rocking 4K 60fps machines when it's still a vast minority. These consoles are still very powerful and Ray Tracing will make such a massive difference also.
What? :lol: Maybe you read reddit too much or something?

These consoles can't do full on ray tracing without serious concessions too, as a "PC Gamer" you should probably know that!

Redlambs

True! Early days so far.
Yup. I like the box though, I like the big ass fan at the top and how hot that end gets. It seems right for the air flow, if that makes sense.

Now, be a pal and help me out here on the 2 questions:

First of all, to answer your earlier questions, it's a system built on top of two other systems. You have the Xbox UI built on top of the MS store built on top of a stripped Windows 10. That's why it has multiple stupid logins and button presses for certain things, for example redeeming the free stuff you get with the gamepass: You can't just click on it and get it, it takes you to a code screen then an enter the code screen, then 2 confirmation screens. And, here's the thing, my boy didn't know he had to go through all that so he panicked when he only did the first screen because if you don't go through all the others it disappears off the freebie screen. Instead I found if in the redeemed codes screen, even though it wasn't actually redeemed. It's classic MS store.

I'm actually really surprised and disappointed in how it all works, having dealt with all this shite on the PC version I thought for sure it would just be a dedicated Xbox UI and the MS store would be taken out for the console, but sadly not. I mean I deal with multiple stores, the PSN, Steam, Epic, Battlenet, even bloody Origin to name a few and they are all contained. They all have their issues, but they are at least focused. The Xbox is a frankenstein of 3 systems cobbled together and it shows, it's not intuitive at all in way too many cases.

I do actually like the console itself though, I like the look more than I'd thought and I like the controller. It's clear where they've cut the corners in development (UI and controller) to keep the price down, but the overall thing is very nice for that price.

Anyway, you might be able to help me mate as I've two questions on the new one where I might be being an idiot:

1) Do you HAVE to sign into a MS email account for a new profile? I hate that it's already linked to my PC on the main one (stupid fecking "achievements" show up on my bloody monitor, MS are horrible for that stuff. I can stop it, but it's still tedious), but for additional ones am I missing a way to just have a local profile?

2) When playing the 360 games, like Gears for example, is it always a case of having to download profiles just to play them? I've played Perfect Dark and Gears 1 now and BOTH needed me to download the same series X profile! And multiple to play splitscreen. That's ridiculously inconvenient.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Since I'm asking in here, can you here yours if you get close to it?
I can hear the slight hum of the fan ya, but there is nothing else close to me bar a laptop, so the sound is more noticeable but iscompletely lost in say a front room where I could easily tell if my One X was on before.

Redlambs

You are being paranoid buddy :lol:

Play a game for a few hours, then hold the top. Then hold the bottom. The fact you can't hear anything and the bottom is cool whilst the top (or fan end if it's on it's side) is hot, means it's doing it's job. And one day if you hear that fan go into overdrive and still one end is colder than the other, you know it's double doing it's job ;)

Shark

@NotShark
What? :lol: Maybe you read reddit too much or something?

These consoles can't do full on ray tracing without serious concessions too, as a "PC Gamer" you should probably know that!
Youtube comments also you see many PC gamers commenting on PS5/Xbox related gameplay about how much consoles are still lagging behind without context to the wider picture. Also I never said consoles could perform Ray Tracing amazingly, simply that it'll help and it's good that it's at least there in some form.

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I can hear the slight hum of the fan ya, but there is nothing else close to me bar a laptop, so the sound is more noticeable but iscompletely lost in say a front room where I could easily tell if my One X was on before.
Thanks. Mine sounds similar.

Redlambs

Youtube comments also you see many PC gamers commenting on PS5/Xbox related gameplay about how much consoles are still lagging behind without context to the eider picture. Also I never said consoles could do perform Ray Tracing amazingly, simply that it'll help and it's good that it's at least there in some form.
There's your problem.

And no, the consoles aren't up to spec with the last round of high end machines let alone the last few years cpus and cards like the 30xx series. But they aren't supposed to be, and were never going to be. You shouldn't let that, nor trash comments from trash places for that matter, bother you.

Paxi

You can always spot the people who haven't played on PC can't you? :lol:

Fan noise under load, now suddenly you don't have loading waits on the UI...because ssd...it's like a new world to these guys ;)
I've only joined the dark side couple of years ago. I can't talk too much. :lol:

But there is no going back now. Especially with console refreshes coming every 3 years. No thank you.

I'll still get a ps5 for remastered exclusives mind. :drool:

Have you decided on whether you're getting a card yet? I thought I remembered you saying you're running 580? Great card tbf.

Shark

@NotShark
There's your problem.

And no, the consoles aren't up to spec with the last round of high end machines let alone the last few years cpus and cards like the 30xx series. But they aren't supposed to be, and were never going to be. You shouldn't let that, nor trash comments from trash places for that matter, bother you.
Well yeah but that's my point, these thrash comments are seen by a lot of people that aren't awfully informed on the average PC build and lead to what @DixieDean about the new consoles being underpowered. I'm not bothered by anything here.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Given some comments recently by Xbox folk, I don't think we will see a mid gen console, this time.

Paxi

To be fair, first time ever we have groundbreaking tech (hardware and utilisation) on consoles and not on PC. I would not be surprised if Microsoft and Sony made high end pc equivalents in the next iteration at a significant loss but used the subsequent subscriptions to make up the revenue. They're kind of doing it already.

Redlambs

I've only joined the dark side couple of years ago. I can't talk too much. :lol:

But there is no going back now. Especially with console refreshes coming every 3 years. No thank you.

I'll still get a ps5 for remastered exclusives mind. :drool:

Have you decided on whether you're getting a card yet? I thought I remembered you saying you're running 580? Great card tbf.
I'm probably going to build new instead, but I'm not in a rush. The new consoles are great and all, but the next generation of games is a bit off so I can wait and get better bang.

Well yeah but that's my point, these thrash comments are seen by a lot of people that aren't awfully informed on the average PC build and lead to what @DixieDean about the new consoles being underpowered. I'm not bothered by anything here.
I mean, again, why does that bother you? Console only gamers have ALWAYS been misinformed about PC gaming and the costs involved and they've ALWAYS been overhyped by what they've been told about their new machines. It has always been and always will!

That doesn't devalue what they are at all, I still buy all the new consoles as I'm a gamer and I only really care about being entertained by them. Difference is, I don't give a shit about kids arguing about things they know nothing about on trash places like Youtube comments :lol:

It's better for your mental health if you don't too ;)

Paxi

@Redlambs for sure, very underwhelming line up for the foreseeable. Except for Cyberpunk but then again at the minute its just hype.