xG Goal Expectancy Rate (a mentalist RAWK statistical spinoff thread) ft Babu of RAWK fame

donkeyfish

Of course, but what really counts is goals for and goals against. Not potential goals for and goals against that statistically were flukes. We enter the realm of the insane when we start making judgements about actual things that happened and whether or not they're a true representation of statistic normality. The fact is that you either score or don't. If you score lots of goals, you have a better chance of scoring lots of goals in the immediate future. If you almost score a goal, that has no bearing on anything. It's just a team that can't finish but might "click" if some non-tangible elements align.
It's a decomposition, just as any other analysis. It tries to separate the two cases of not scoring and not creating with not scoring and creating. Two meaningfully different scenarios.

Since a chance is a necessary but not sufficient condition to score, barring a few exceptions.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's a decomposition, just as any other analysis. It tries to separate the two cases of not scoring and not creating with not scoring and creating. Two meaningfully different scenarios.

Since a chance is a necessary but not sufficient condition to score, barring a few exceptions.
Look at the way it's used in relation to Chamberlain. This is my point. His actual output is non-existent, but his theoretical output is world class.

Surely you see the absurdity of that? xG can be a valid statistical guideline in very tight cases (when used by people who aren't mentalists). However, in this case it's madness.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Here's my problem, this stuff has absolutely zero predictive power.
Much of this pseudo-scientific crap is purely descriptive.

You can «quantify» anything - and there will be people who find it impressive, because it involves numbers.

If there's to be actual value in highlighting numbers, they need to point to something, indicate a tendency that isn't evident at first glance, etc. If not they're only interesting to book keepers.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
We need a Liverpool specific formula for working out the probability of there being an hilarious Liverpool result.

It will need to include high loading factors such as

1. Wind strength
2. Percentage of the population of town or city of opposition team defending in oppositions box
3. Recency and frequency of negative things written about 'the boys' as a function of how many of 'the boys' read them
4. Number of offside goals scored by Manchester United
5. Angle of Klopp's Jaw
6. Velocity and Angle of Klopp's glasses as they fly from his head during a rant
7. Volume of saliva collected from the surface of the fourth official's face after Klopp has screamed at it from a distance perpendicular to the depth of the rut in the pitch caused by Henderson's gormless jaw dragging along the floor as he runs.
8. The quantum defensive paradox constant Mg + Kla + Lov = LOL
I'm already pissed that nobody commented on this important post yet :D

Dion

Of course, but what really counts is goals for and goals against. Not potential goals for and goals against that statistically were flukes. We enter the realm of the insane when we start making judgements about actual things that happened and whether or not they're a true representation of statistic normality. The fact is that you either score or don't. If you score lots of goals, you have a better chance of scoring lots of goals in the immediate future. If you almost score a goal, that has no bearing on anything. It's just a team that can't finish but might "click" if some non-tangible elements align.
Don't especvially want to get into a debate about statistics but that's baseless and in many instances simply wrong.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Don't especvially want to get into a debate about statistics but that's baseless and in many instances simply wrong.
If I'm wrong I'll admit it. I just don't see how almost scoring a goal but losing means you have a better chance of winning in the next match. xG by itself seems a fallacy to me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We need a Liverpool specific formula for working out the probability of there being an hilarious Liverpool result.

1. Wind strength
2. Percentage of the population of town or city of opposition team defending in oppositions box
3. Recency and frequency of negative things written about 'the boys' as a function of how many of 'the boys' read them
5. Angle of Klopp's Jaw
6. Velocity and Angle of Klopp's glasses as they fly from his head during a rant
7. Volume of saliva collected from the surface of the fourth official's face after Klopp has screamed at it from a distance perpendicular to the depth of the rut in the pitch caused by Henderson's gormless jaw dragging along the floor as he runs.
:lol:

adexkola

Supports
If I'm wrong I'll admit it. I just don't see how almost scoring a goal but losing means you have a better chance of winning in the next match. xG by itself seems a fallacy to me.
There is a demonstrated correlation between xG and goals scored. And the more goals you score, the more likely it is you'll win games.

More specifically, if you're creating more high quality chances and still losing, it provides coaches with actionable items they can work on. Is the problem deeper, or is it composure in front of goal? Yes some stuff is self evident but so are most things in life; data allows you to avoid the bias and error inherent in the eye-test. Pair those together and you're ahead. Be a Luddite and dispense with the data, then you're blind in one eye.

donkeyfish

Look at the way it's used in relation to Chamberlain. This is my point. His actual output is non-existent, but his theoretical output is world class.

Surely you see the absurdity of that? xG can be a valid statistical guideline in very tight cases (when used by people who aren't mentalists). However, in this case it's madness.
Yeah it's abused a lot, that I agree with.

Dion

That isn't actually what you said. You said " If you almost score a goal, that has no bearing on anything". A high xG correlates with more goals scored. If you're taking lots of shots from dangerous areas and missing then it's likely as long as you keep doing that some of them will start going in eventually. There is a phenomenon called reversion to the mean, unless there's a very obvious reason (i.e you have a complete donkey up front rather than just an average striker) things will usually "turn".

A good example of an extreme case is Ibrahimovic last season. During his barren spells his xG didn't actually change, he was still getting lots of good chances. Then when he went on the insane hot streaks his xG didn't change either, he was just performing above average.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
@Mciahel Goodman it's easier to break it down season by season than game by game as trends are easier to spot due to sample size.

Take Uniteds xG for last year. It was high despite us not scoring that many goals. That allowed us to theorise that if we could improve our conversion rate, most other things would click into place. Now obviously, that could also be determined just by watching us play, but as mentioned previously that isn't always possible for everyone.

You may only have the chance to catch the highlights, which as we know can give a drastically different view of the game than if you watched the full 90. Or you could be a foreign scout wanting to know which teams had strikers performing above average when compared to their xG and actual goals scored.

automaticflare

@Mciahel Goodman it's easier to break it down season by season than game by game as trends are easier to spot due to sample size.

Take Uniteds xG for last year. It was high despite us not scoring that many goals. That allowed us to theorise that if we could improve our conversion rate, most other things would click into place. Now obviously, that could also be determined just by watching us play, but as mentioned previously that isn't always possible for everyone.

You may only have the chance to catch the highlights, which as we know can give a drastically different view of the game than if you watched the full 90. Or you could be a foreign scout wanting to know which teams had strikers performing above average when compared to their xG and actual goals scored.
Finally some sense to this thread

Treble

Basically, the xG from last season says that United and City were quite unfortunate and were generally better than the table suggests. And that it is little wonder now that they look the part this season with the improvements they made in the summer.

xG may be a limited tool to make analyses and predictions but any single tool has its limitations.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Basically, the xG from last season says that United and City were quite unfortunate and were generally better than the table suggests. And that it is little wonder now that they look the part this season with the improvements they made in the summer.

xG may be a limited tool to make analyses and predictions but any single tool has its limitations.
United and City made some very good signings which reflects in improved results. We have signed Lukaku (2nd highest goal scorer), Matic to bring stability to the team. City have signed Walker, Mendy who have improved them immensely and Ederson who isn't a clown keeping goals.

It might be a good tool but last season and this season is completely different, especially for City who have very good full backs at attacking.

Treble

United and City made some very good signings which reflects in improved results. We have signed Lukaku (2nd highest goal scorer), Matic to bring stability to the team. City have signed Walker, Mendy who have improved them immensely and Ederson who isn't a clown keeping goals.

It might be a good tool but last season and this season is completely different, especially for City who have very good full backs at attacking.
It isn't. Both United and City were creating many chances, especially City, and did not concede many chances. The ratio between created and conceded chances was very good which is an excellent basis to build from. Both teams were better than the results suggested. It is the same with Liverpool now. They aren't as bad as the results suggest. Which doesn't mean that they can compete for the title. It means only that they can go on a good run and compete for the top 4.

montpelier

I think it's quite easy to 'weaponise' xG in order to take the piss out of RAWK or the stats obsessed nerd who's producing screeds of it over there, which was the original purpose - I think / hope we knew what we were doing from that standpoint. Deliberately stupid misinterpretation I suppose. It is a thread that has the purpose of taking the piss out of RAWK (when we aren't looking at Maru's crowd GIFS & seeing new things in them)

Actual value of the xG, I don't really know - but I can usually see from watching, if a team is missing lots of chances. Expected assists is a bit too much though, innit?

What about counting pFB (poor Final Balls) ?? - teams could be racking up phenomenal numbers we know absolutely nothing about, :(.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff

There is a demonstrated correlation between xG and goals scored. And the more goals you score, the more likely it is you'll win games.

More specifically, if you're creating more high quality chances and still losing, it provides coaches with actionable items they can work on. Is the problem deeper, or is it composure in front of goal? Yes some stuff is self evident but so are most things in life; data allows you to avoid the bias and error inherent in the eye-test. Pair those together and you're ahead. Be a Luddite and dispense with the data, then you're blind in one eye.
Good general explanation, thanks.

I still maintain that it's laughable when used to assert that Chamberlain has been anything other than terrible for them so far though.

P-Nut

Good general explanation, thanks.

I still maintain that it's laughable when used to assert that Chamberlain has been anything other than terrible for them so far though.
I thought he used Chamberlains stats from Arsenal where you'd expect most players to have a high xG due to the type of football they play. Tbf he hardly used xG in that argument either, more just picked the stats to suit his argument about completed dribbles etc which as someone said could be a fullback dribbling 10 yards before turning round and passing it backwards.

Sad Chris

xG allows for a more quantitative and accurate description of what's going on than a bunch of drunk fans going, "yeah their attack is shit".
I‘m sure you could describe the chick at the bar in metric terms and have a great discussion about your chances, but basically I just want to feck her.

Whatever you enjoy I suppose...

Sad Chris

So looking at these stats in hindsight, could they‘ve predicted the success of teams for one season?

Or are the swings so big that you‘ll never be able to have accurate data for the timeframe a team will be together in that constellation?

P-Nut

So looking at these stats in hindsight, could they‘ve predicted the success of teams for one season?

Or are the swings so big that you‘ll never be able to have accurate data for the timeframe a team will be together in that constellation?
I think it's better for seeing how a team will progress from season to season as the sample size is then big enough. If a top manager uses the data in front of them well enough they should be able to identify the problems.

Take Liverpool this season, they have a high xG themselves, however they also have a high rate of xG against them, meaning they are offering up good chances to the opposition.

That should lead to you wanting to add a more solid base to lower the opponents xG, however they've got Klopp so they're screwed :lol:

adexkola

Supports
I think it's better for seeing how a team will progress from season to season as the sample size is then big enough. If a top manager uses the data in front of them well enough they should be able to identify the problems.

Take Liverpool this season, they have a high xG themselves, however they also have a high rate of xG against them, meaning they are offering up good chances to the opposition.

That should lead to you wanting to add a more solid base to lower the opponents xG, however they've got Klopp so they're screwed :lol:
But the challenge that Klopp faces is that there is no point in reducing the opponent's xG by playing deep and conservative, which effectively nukes his side's xG. Plus, playing deep doesn't prevent Lovren from making a brain-dead mistake.

OverratedOpinion

I might be talking out of school here because I don't understand the xG stuff entirely but from what I have read would it not be a good method of determining that a player like Ozil tends to create better chances than someone like Valencia for example.

I personally believe a lot of these statistics aren't particularly necessary with football as a sport, I think if you've watched and played a decent amount of the game you can tell what is happening without a calculator but I can see why clubs and scouts would use this kind of thing.

Momochiru

1. Wind strength
5. Angle of Klopp's Jaw
:lol:

adexkola

Supports

1. No statistical model is perfect. There will always be outliers that defy common sense. That is not an indictment on the xG model which overall shows good correlation.

2. It would be more useful to see what Ox's attributes are that assign him a big theoretical number. Those are things that can be isolated and worked on by training staff. You may say, that's obvious from watching him play, but how many people have the time to spend watching one player's tape for 40 hrs?

Dion

I might be talking out of school here because I don't understand the xG stuff entirely but from what I have read would it not be a good method of determining that a player like Ozil tends to create better chances than someone like Valencia for example.

I personally believe a lot of these statistics aren't particularly necessary with football as a sport, I think if you've watched and played a decent amount of the game you can tell what is happening without a calculator but I can see why clubs and scouts would use this kind of thing.

Pretty much because good players have certain statistical profiles, you can take vast quantities of data, done some simple analysis and come up with a list of players who are actually worth scouting in person. You can also then see outliers very easily.

P-Nut

But the challenge that Klopp faces is that there is no point in reducing the opponent's xG by playing deep and conservative, which effectively nukes his side's xG. Plus, playing deep doesn't prevent Lovren from making a brain-dead mistake.
Which is why if he wants to keep the same style he should focus his budget on better defenders