Shooting in West Texas - 31 Aug 2019 - Casualties confirmed

RedPed

Whatabouter.
White male shooter. Shot dead at the scene. No motive confirmed as yet.

Fergies Gum

Yet another senseless act of violence. RIP to the victims.

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

Feels like every few days now. Wonder what it's going to take for gun control to change in the US. There has to be a tipping point eventually.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Feels like every few days now. Wonder what it's going to take for gun control to change in the US. There has to be a tipping point eventually.
Already covered in the Gun Control thread. It will only be a Hong Kong style mobilisation of the people for things to change over there. The GOP are owned by the NRA so they will never do anything.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Morpheus 7 said:
There has to be a tipping point eventually.
There likely won't be - they've already had children and politicians as victims, and little's changed. Just this weekend, Trump was talking of opening more mental health facilities...anything other than changing the culture of insanely profitable gun sales & political donations.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
If Sandy Hook didn’t tip the scale, I don’t think anything will.

Steerpike

Every time this happens, I reflect with the same sense of incredulity on the gun laws in the US and the apparent lack of ability or motive to change them.

No doubt there will be the usual demands for change, and no doubt they will be shouted down by the gun lobby. The line "the only way to stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun" will surely be trotted out at some point. Alas, for some good people at least, the good man once again arrived too late. When will the people in the US understand that the best option is for the bad man not to have a gun in the first place?

I used to think that it was a US problem, so nobody else's business really. The reality though is that gun manufacturers depend on the US market for their business, and if the laws there were similar to the laws here in the UK, there would be less manufacturers and less guns in existence. I wonder how many illegally held guns in the UK originated from the US.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yep. As others have said above. Sandy Hook was the one for me. If going into an Elementary School and massacring 6-7 year olds wasn't enough to go "hold on, these gun laws need looking at" then nothing will.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Every time this happens, I reflect with the same sense of incredulity on the gun laws in the US and the apparent lack of ability or motive to change them.

No doubt there will be the usual demands for change, and no doubt they will be shouted down by the gun lobby. The line "the only way to stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun" will surely be trotted out at some point. Alas, for some good people at least, the good man once again arrived too late. When will the people in the US understand that the best option is for the bad man not to have a gun in the first place?

I used to think that it was a US problem, so nobody else's business really. The reality though is that gun manufacturers depend on the US market for their business, and if the laws there were similar to the laws here in the UK, there would be less manufacturers and less guns in existence. I wonder how many illegally held guns in the UK originated from the US.
Just been trotted out. Julian Castro responded by mentioning that Texas already has open gun carry and police officers were injured in the incident, presumably armed. Didn't stop the other guy driving 10 hours to El Paso either.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Nothing will change. The idiot president will come back with something about the shooters being deranged individuals and then saying that this is not a direct cause of having no gun control blah, blah, blah. I feel for the victims and their families as well as the future victims when the next one happens in a couple of days and the victims of the following one a few days later and so on and so on.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
My cousin drove past it in progress-he’s fine. Now to check on my friends in the area.

Feck all this...

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Guns guns. Need more guns. It's the only answer after all.

Still amazes me that something written 200 years ago in the days of civil militia carries on as a birth right.

Cue the talks of Paul Blart: Mall Cops should be armed as well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thread by a madman.
The irony is that Texas loosened gun restrictions today.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Guns guns. Need more guns. It's the only answer after all.

Still amazes me that something written 200 years ago in the days of civil militia carries on as a birth right.

Cue the talks of Paul Blart: Mall Cops should be armed as well.
Same for me. I'm puzzled about the logic behind using their constitution as an excuse to keeping their guns at all costs