You know how Liverpool have always talked about United's 'big' spending?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Carroll, Suarez & Henderson...

We really were robbed by Real Madrid... :(

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
What's funny is how they will talk down the value of Ngog now even through they were saying he was better than Hernandez.

beardsleybob

They lucked out with getting so much cash for Torres so that'll hold as an excuse for now. They'll probably come out with some excuse that we do spend money too, except on the FA :rolleyes:

Peasplease

If we assume the Henderson deal is 13mil or so plus Ngog, and Aquilani is sold to an Italian club, our transfer net spend is still around 0 for the FSG transfer windows.

beardsleybob

If we assume the Henderson deal is 13mil or so plus Ngog, and Aquilani is sold to an Italian club, our transfer net spend is still around 0 for the FSG transfer windows.
You think you're getting anywhere near £16m for Aquilani? :lol:

Peasplease

You think you're getting anywhere near £16m for Aquilani? :lol:
INS (approximations obviously):
£22m Suarez
£35m Carrol
£13m Henderson

Total = 70m

OUTS:
£50m Torres
£7m Babel
(Leverage) Ngog
£13m Aquilani

Total = 70m

Edit: I thought your post said £21m? Anyway, yeah I reckon Aquilani will go for a bit less than 16m. I'd predict the fee to be between 11-14m.

beardsleybob

£23m for Suarez and £6m for Babel. So you expect to get £15m for Aquilani when he cost you 17? You'd be lucky to receive half of that. Let's face it, if you'd gotten a sane offer from Chelsea you'd be lookin at a further £20m deficit here..

stubie

Would have been more epic if it was Rafa still spending Liverpool's money.

Suarez however is value for money imo

SecondFig

Where is this £13m fee for Henderson coming from? Genuine question, as all I've seen is £20m which may or may not include N'Gog - and there's no way N'Gog is valued at £7m

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Alright then, our net spend will be around £3m.
Is that a good or bad thing you think? I mean once again it looks like your owners don't really use cash from their own pocket to sign players.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Alright then, our net spend will be around £3m.
Which means your new Yanks are looking to fund transfers by selling first very much like ours.

You are in a better position debt wise and strategy wise though in that your new yanks have cleared the debts and are letting the manager do his thing.

Even assuming Kenny does put together a very good Liverpool side you may find it will still come at the wrong time in terms of City's gradual climb to buying the premier league and Abramovich's return to spending after a long run of being more thrifty. And of course, you can never rule out any United side under Sir Alex.

Kenny's first big challenge is to see if he can use the lack of European football to his advantage in the league and, oddly enough, I'd say next season may well be his best chance of having a pop at the title as once you are back in the CL I really don't think you'll have the squad to compete on all fronts.

SecondFig

Edit: I thought your post said £21m? Anyway, yeah I reckon Aquilani will go for a bit less than 16m. I'd predict the fee to be between 11-14m.
Well Juve have said they won't go over £7m at the moment, so it's looking like you either keep him, or flog him on the cheap

beardsleybob

It did :lol: I forgot Babel

And you won't get near what you paid for him. Serie A doesn't have much money, especially among the teams that could use him

Peasplease

Where is this £13m fee for Henderson coming from? Genuine question, as all I've seen is £20m which may or may not include N'Gog - and there's no way N'Gog is valued at £7m
I saw a couple reports suggesting it so went with it. I'm not pretending that I know for sure.

Well Juve have said they won't go over £7m at the moment, so it's looking like you either keep him, or flog him on the cheap
Or sell him to another club. He's only 26 and came off a decent year, according to those keeping up with him. I don't think over 10m is unlikely.

Is that a good or bad thing you think? I mean once again it looks like your owners don't really use cash from their own pocket to sign players.
Which means your new Yanks are looking to fund transfers by selling first very much like ours.

You are in a better position debt wise and strategy wise though in that your new yanks have cleared the debts and are letting the manager do his thing.

Even assuming Kenny does put together a very good Liverpool side you may find it will still come at the wrong time in terms of City's gradual climb to buying the premier league and Abramovich's return to spending after a long run of being more thrifty. And of course, you can never rule out any United side under Sir Alex.

Kenny's first big challenge is to see if he can use the lack of European football to his advantage in the league and, oddly enough, I'd say next season may well be his best chance of having a pop at the title as once you are back in the CL I really don't think you'll have the squad to compete on all fronts.

I do believe Suarez was bought without the knowledge of Torres being sold so I think they're willing to spend a bit, but unlike some supporters I don't and never did expect them to pump much money, if any at all, into the club, so it doesn't worry me.

Whenever new owners come in they like to make there mark buy spending a little, so I'm expecting more money being spent in this window but apart from this year, unless we get into the CL, I can't see us consistently splashing 20m net every year. If we do get the CL I think we would, because from what I gather, FSG aren't in it directly for the money and hence (presumably) they wont be taking ours profits into their bank accounts. Profits which would occur because we are set to break even with no CL and our current commercial deals which are set to rise very soon.

SecondFig

I saw a couple reports suggesting it so went with it. I'm not pretending that I know for sure.
It's alright, I tracked it down, it's the Telegraph's story by Rory Smith. He's the NW football correspondent with a lot of links to LFC so he's a decent source.

But I still think £7m is over-valuing N'Gog

MightyRedz

I think this is a good shout. Missing out on Europa will possibly turn out to be a blessing (Kenny was successful at Liverpool domestically as a manager when the club was banned from Europe), and the aim has to be top 4 next season, which will not be an easy task.

To put the spending in context, the owners seem to have taken on board the need to budget high this year as a catch up from the former owners neglect in recent times. The sale of Torres (for silly money) has clearly allowed overspend on Carroll and possibly Henderson (although in each case there were other clubs sniffing around)

Ludens the Red

Its just aswell, now we wont be signing Henderson.
If only they stepped up their Ashley Young bid.......

Lance Uppercut

They are likely going to have to sign a new striker now, too.

Donut

Add Phil Jones to the list! They'll have a pretty decent squad to be honest.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Its just aswell, now we wont be signing Henderson.
If only they stepped up their Ashley Young bid.......
I think both players will do well at their respective teams.

Young is a player I've long thought we could do with. Obviously we must buy class in the centre of midfield too, but Young, if he comes, will improve our squad on last season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The Times. And tony barret is without a doubt the most credible liverpool reporter out there these days.

it's 13m+n'gog.

They can value him at 0.5m for all I care, but it looks like he's been valued at 5-7m. I am very pleased. I thought the club was insane when they briefed the press that he would be allowed to leave for 8m.

Widnes

Home

They have out spent us since the premiership began but when it comes to trophy wins in the competition it's 12-0 to us.

And they claimed we bought them how embarrassing.

M'n'M

"Keane will be awesome alongside Torres."
But I still think £7m is over-valuing N'Gog
It matters not what NGog is valued at, it is the cash amount which is important. If it is £13m cash then Sunderland will want NGog to be valued at 6-7m to get close to a figure they have valued him at. They can value him for whatever they like as far as I care.

I have no idea if this is what the final deal will be but if it is then it's a good one IMO. I would imagine there would only be a £20k-£30k a week difference in wages too.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
TBF they've gotten one excellent player and another potentially good player for the price of one sulky Spaniard and one full time rapper and part time footballer.

Not bad business.

Not sure about Henderson yet. I've seen him play about 2 good games in 15.

SFraser

Rest in Peace
INS (approximations obviously):
£22m Suarez
£35m Carrol
£13m Henderson

Total = 70m

OUTS:
£50m Torres
£7m Babel
(Leverage) Ngog
£13m Aquilani

Total = 70m

Tell me, how do you flog Alonso, Mascherano and Torres, spend all the money and still be left with an utterly shite team?

rocks13

Interesting times!

With King Kenny in charge, plenty of money being spent and convenient scapegoats like Hicks, Gillette and Hodgson all gone it looks like the excuses are going to soon run out for Liverpool fans.

Wonder who they'll blame next season when it all goes wrong?