Young At LWB?

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
One of the reasons why we didn't start with a 352 in the campaign is because we didn't have a wing back that was suited to it, which is why we were going for Perisic. But I think we should give Young a shot there as hes got all the attributes to be a decent wing back. Hes also defensively superior to Persic and can whip in a mean cross, sometimes :p.

This will allow us to play the 352 which Mourinho was intending to do in the beginning of the season

De Gea
Bailly Lindelof Jones
Valencia Matic Pogba* Young
Mkhitaryan
Lukaku Martial/Rashford

*when he comes back from injury

It worked well against Chelsea last season and I dont remember him playing there since. A 352 can suit our team so well its just using it in the right way that's the issue.

Walters_19_MuFc

I don't think not having a wing back was the reason for us not starting with 3 at the back. I simply think it was because Jose wanted to introduce a number of formations to the team and ensure that we were comfortable if/when we had to use it.

I do think Young would be a decent wing back, though, and I like the formation you have posted.

Not sure I would always use it, but it's certainly an option. Lukaku partnered with Martial/Rashford is something I want to see more often.

Gerald G

I don't think we were intending to start the season playing a 3-5-2. But Mourinho said he wanted a wing-back so it would give us the option to play that system. Young can be a decent wingback option but I only think we'll play that formation a few times over the season. I expect it to predominantly be 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

Tarrou

Didn't realise Perisic played wing back.

Young is alright, always does a job. Don't know if I'd want him as first choice but it's slim pickings at left back so might be worth a shot.

Rake

Well, he is playing decently, has a bit of pace and takes players on, unlike any of our other options.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Offers more than Blind and Darmian do. It depends whether Shaw grabs his chance in the cups.

BenjaminP

Shaw Darmian Blind and now Young competing for LB. But none of them is quality unfortunately.

I would bet Shaw takes the spot sooner or later. Until then, rotation rotation rotation.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Again, nothing new, he did it last season.

Bwuk

Shaw Darmian Blind and now Young competing for LB. But none of them is quality unfortunately.

I would bet Shaw takes the spot sooner or later. Until then, rotation rotation rotation.
Shaw will do what he's done his whole United career.

Nothing. He isn't good enough, another who gets better with injuries. The new Anderson.

donkeyfish

He's a pretty good full back, but I do think Everton got some play from his side today. Could be that he was instructed to stay high though, thus not so much his fault as the plans.

Very nice to have several options that are different type of players, for tactical flexibility.

BenjaminP

Nothing. He isn't good enough, another who gets better with injuries. The new Anderson.
Jones and Rojo suddenly decided to show up.

Shaw will do the same. With the right management and mentality, he will become our next Evra or the next Irwin.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Jones and Rojo suddenly decided to show up.

Shaw will do the same. With the right management and mentality, he will become our next Evra or the next Irwin.
Been very impressed with Rojo and Jones. I thought both were lost causes.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think we could pull it off this season. Rashford and Lukaku/Ibrahimovic looks on paper like a good partnership, not sure about Martial as he plays a bit more static than Rashy.

It's good to have different tactical options.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Been very impressed with Rojo and Jones. I thought both were lost causes.
Mourinho works miracles with those kinds of players, and turns gold into s… with others, like Shaw and, partially, Martial.

serxyo

Please, start watching football. Perišić is nowhere near wingback. He has always played as a winger, cam or striker. He's a goalscoring machine now for Inter and is something Young used to be.

Womp

idiot
Mourinho works miracles with those kinds of players, and turns gold into s… with others, like Shaw and, partially, Martial.
Martial is playing well this season. Last season he was underwhelming but that form was hardly specific to us, he was woeful at the Euros with France too.

Shaw is never fit to be shit.

Paul_Scholes18

If we want to use that formation I think he could be a good option. I imagine Mourinho might use that formation against Chelsea again if he more want to neutralize the opponents.

Klopp_De_Klown

Well it currently makes sense and as long as he and tony v get a rest they should be ok for our games. I would use Romeo Lindleoff Shaw Blind Carrick and Darmian in the cup they should all be chomping at the bit. Surely im leaving out a few, With Pogs injured i may not risk Herrera although he needs the game time so thats the only real decision to be made i feel. Im sure there is already a plan for the strikers.

But back to Young, if Blind and Shaw and Darmian are honest about wanting to play first team. Wednesday is a big day for them. Need to see a solid, mistake free perfomance. Proving mentally and physically they can do ok if called upon.

But for now i'd go with Young.

NoPace

My guess now is that Jose had us play 3 at the back as he knows we probably can't win the CL without some gimmicks or ultra-defensive football and an extra defender makes a lot of sense if we draw Barca or another team, but it might well be plan C now that plan B with Fellaini in a 4-3-3 seems like it's probably ahead of that with it looking intriguing against Madrid. Though I wouldn't rule out a 3-5-2 that includes Fellaini if we have to go the Nou Camp, Allianz or Bernabeu.

More on topic, I don't really think Young offers much more going forward at LWB or LB than Blind does (his crossing is better normally than it's been lately for us), but if Valencia got hurt, I'd want to see a pretty strict platoon at RB with Darmian playing when we need defensive intelligence and Young playing when we need offense more from that spot.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Always liked him and think he's better at kicking a ball than Valencia (I know that's bad timing after his rocket). Thought it was odd that people have been adamant he should leave in the yearly in/out threads. He's good backup, and probably should be first team for this season until we sort LB/RB out, which you'd think would need to be soon with both their ages.

MadMike

Looked good going forward but I'm not so sure about his defensive awareness. Best Everton attacks came down his side.

We have a lot of options for the LB spot, but no one good enough to make the spot his own. And that includes Young.

FromTheBench

Harsh on Mourinho. Shaw has been a nonentity for a while and Martial has plenty of time.
Both Shaw and Martial are the same age and Shaw is coming back off a horendous injury.

How does one have lot of time and the other doesn't?

FromTheBench

Looked good going forward but I'm not so sure about his defensive awareness. Best Everton attacks came down his side.

We have a lot of options for the LB spot, but no one good enough to make the spot his own. And that includes Young.
Yep, Plus Everton barely had anyone to test him directly. They just wanted to go through the middle everytime.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

True but he's still such a good guy to have around the squad. His heading defensively from long balls was relatively solid and his overlapping runs, or reverse balls to Mata were excellent and very hard to stop.

MadMike

True but he's still such a good guy to have around the squad. His heading defensively from long balls was relatively solid and his overlapping runs, or reverse balls to Mata were excellent and very hard to stop.
I'm not arguing that. I'd definitely keep him around for now. The fact he can also play at RB is to his advantage, he's probably our 2nd best RB after Tony V. Not to mention that he can play further up the pitch.

The fact we've used 3 different LBs in 6 games so far does show we have a weakness in that position, no doubt. We all know it. I'm just trying to curb the enthusiasm a bit.

stevoc

One of the reasons why we didn't start with a 352 in the campaign is because we didn't have a wing back that was suited to it, which is why we were going for Perisic. But I think we should give Young a shot there as hes got all the attributes to be a decent wing back. Hes also defensively superior to Persic and can whip in a mean cross, sometimes :p.

This will allow us to play the 352 which Mourinho was intending to do in the beginning of the season

De Gea
Bailly Lindelof Jones
Valencia Matic Pogba* Young
Mkhitaryan
Lukaku Martial/Rashford

*when he comes back from injury

It worked well against Chelsea last season and I don't remember him playing there since. A 352 can suit our team so well its just using it in the right way that's the issue.
We didn't start with 352 because Mourinho doesn't want to play that formation regularly. I don't even think he likes the formation, see his interview yesterday he thinks the best way to play against other teams who use 352 is to match them but he decided to just stick with 4 at the back. And he said in the summer that 352 will never be his formation he just wants the option of being able to use it for certain games.

The obsession with United playing the 352 formation over the last few months on here is odd.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I'm always impressed by Young. He plays fairly rarely, but is always ready to be called upon, and really does all you can expect of him when he plays. Obviously true that he is not amazing defensively.

Marcky411

Young was introduced to LWB by LvG and that was partly the resurrection of his United career. Young on his day can really do a job as a wingback except he is quite accident/injury prone but given the game time and of course injury free, he could be as good as Valencia. One thing is for sure he has the pace, not scared to take on defenders and can cross the ball a lot better than Valencia (don't get me wrong I am Tony V fan), like Martial he too likes to come in on his right foot to take a shot at goal. Personally I thought he did a great job against Basel at rightback with his cross contributing to our first goal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Before his injury he was the best left back in the league at Southampton. I don't know why this keeps getting ignored.

Norris

Nothing new here. Young always puts in a shift regardless of where he plays. This was why I was surprised Mourinho was ready to let him go in the January Transfer window (Unless Young had requested it of course).

Aza Boy

Amd old Young makes me smile again. It is been so long waiting for left side attack. Hope he stays injury free.

1 more season of contract for good level of playing is still all right.

Todd

I say just continue on with a 4-3-3 with Young at LB, at least against the weaker sides. He works very hard, nobody can deny that, and he's better going forward than Blind or Darmian by a long shot.

Switching to a 3-5-2 means you can no longer have Mata and Henrik on the field together, which would hurt the team.

The real question is going to be what to do when Rojo is fit, assuming that Bailly and Jones continue to stay fit and play well. Should Rojo be tried at LB?

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Should Rojo be tried at LB?
Not for me! His natural position is at CB when playing full back he a times (seemingly unaware) gravitates to the CB position leaving us exposed down the left and putting huge undue pressure on whoever is playing left midfield.
At the beginning of last season both Rojo and Jones you would think were drinking in the last chance saloon at OT, but both showed their mettle, individually and as a partnership!

For me Rojo stays as a CB putting pressure on Bailly and Jones to keep up their own performance levels