Smalling Cahill Jagielka
Jones
Gerrard Wilshere
Sterling Welbeck
Rooney Sturridge

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Rooney should be dropped but it'll never happen. People go on about Lampard and Gerrard underperforming but Rooney has been worse than both combined since Euro 04.

Hart
Johnson Jagielka Cahill Shaw
Gerrard
Henderson Wilshere
Sterling Sturridge Lallana​

Fred the Red's left foot

with Gerrard playing as a deep midfielder, we clearly need to have two more around him, which means a front 3, which means England for the one billionth tournament in a row will be trying to shoehorn players into positions they aren't good at. Lallana----Striker-------Sterling/OX is clearly our best front three, but Roy wont have the bollocks to drop either ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY or Sturidge, so it will be an imbalanced front 3 with both of those playing.

Shame really, but one must always pander to the egos of these millionaires before the hopes of a nation.

No F in Chance

Hart
Jones - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines

Gerrard
Wilshere - Barkley

Sturridge - Rooney - Sterling​

Playing 2 in midfield would be suicidal, especially against Italy.
The defence is shit and the only thing that can be done to slightly improve it is not playing Johnson

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Hart
Johnson - Cahil - Jagielka - Baines
Henderson - Gerrard
Lallana - Rooney - Sterling
Sturridge

Lu Tze

This but with Walker instead of Jones. NOT A RB. For club or country.
Walker can't defend to save his life(edit: and as MTR notes, isn't going to the WC). Same with Johnson. Coming up against a Ribery/Robben/Ronaldo/Di Maria they would get embarrassed, whereas Jones has proved himself capable of dealing with that calibre of player multiple times. Tell Jones to concentrate on his defensive duties and let Baines be our full back attacking threat.

Last edited:

ThaReaper01

Except Walker can't defend to save his life. Same with Johnson. Coming up against a Ribery/Robben/Ronaldo/Di Maria they would get embarrassed, whereas Jones has proved himself capable of dealing with that calibre of player multiple times. Tell Jones to concentrate on his defensive duties and let Baines be our full back attacking threat.
I disagree. Walker's pace and attacking far outweigh Jones' supposed defensive superiority in this situation. By telling one of the fullbacks to defend for the whole game, you are hamstringing that side of the pitch.

Lu Tze

I disagree. Walker's pace and attacking far outweigh Jones' supposed defensive superiority in this situation. By telling one of the fullbacks to defend for the whole game, you are hamstringing that side of the pitch.
"Jones's supposed defensive superiority"? He has shut down Ribery and Ronaldo. Walker has trouble shutting down...well....anyone. In a tournament format especially, defensive solidity is more important than having another idiot with pace in the side. Lopsided fullbacks with different roles have worked for years and years and years.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
My world cup XI is

------------------------------Hart------------------------------------
---Johnson------------Jagielka------Cahill-------------Baines---
-----------------------------Gerrard-----------------------------
----------------------Henderson----Barkley--------------------------
---------Sterling---------------Sturridge--------------Lallana---------------

Let's be honest, No United player deserves to start based on this season, and everyone who included Rooney, smalling and jones need to get their heads checked. Cahill, Jagielka, Stones have all been head and shoulders above smalling and jones this year. Smalling has been average but my God has Jones been shite. The amount of penalties he gives away with stupid handballs and fouls, it would cost England at the WC and therefore he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I'm a United fan by the way, I'm just trying to be objective and as neutral as I can.

Rooney has been nowhere near as good as Sturridge, Lallana and Sterling, All those players have outperformed Wayne. But obviously he is not going to be dropped. He's choked at the last 2 world cups yet he's still considered the "talisman" LOL.

We need to blood new players through this summer, Sterling, Barkely, Lallana, Shaw, Henderson all need to express themselves. Similar to Germany in 2010, but I guess its all wishful thinking.

Tiber

Look i support NI i have very little to crow about.... However on paper that's a pretty average looking team.

It's good to see expectations are at least lower than the crazy levels they have been in past years

ThaReaper01

"Jones's supposed defensive superiority"? He has shut down Ribery and Ronaldo. Walker has trouble shutting down...well....anyone. In a tournament format especially, defensive solidity is more important than having another idiot with pace in the side. Lopsided fullbacks with different roles have worked for years and years and years.
It's alleged because Jones has never done it with England and never shut Ronaldo down. Rafael played against Ronaldo in both games last season. He was solid against Bayern yes but is that enough justification to start him over a guy who started 3 of England's 5 WCQ last year? Not for me.

Personally don't give a shit being that I'm not English so the fewer United players that play the better.

Lu Tze

It's alleged because Jones has never done it with England and never shut Ronaldo down. Rafael played against Ronaldo in both games last season. He was solid against Bayern yes but is that enough justification to start him over a guy who started 3 of England's 5 WCQ last year? Not for me.

Personally don't give a shit being that I'm not English so the fewer United players that play the better.
If you actually watched Madrid vs United you'd know that Jones did an excellent job on Ronaldo from DM. So, yeah. And Walker isn't going to the WC, so it's Jones or Johnson, and Johnson is an absolutely shocking defender.

ThaReaper01

If you actually watched Madrid vs United you'd know that Jones did an excellent job on Ronaldo from DM. So, yeah. And Walker isn't going to the WC, so it's Jones or Johnson, and Johnson is an absolutely shocking defender.
Yeah, he helped defend Ronaldo but he didn't shut him down like you claim. I'm astonished that Walker isn't in the squad but Johnson is considering Johnson didn't play the last handful of games this season. Better off taking Flanagan.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Let's be honest, Ronaldo really looked like he didn't even try in that tie, He was hesitant to do anything, plus he scored twice, so you could argue Jones did not do a good job after all.

Swarles

Hart
Johnson Jones Cahill Shaw
Gerrard Wilshere
Welbeck Rooney Ox
Sturridge

ORobinvanPersie

I'm not a liverpool fan but....

Hart
Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines
Gerrard Henderson
Lallana Rooney Sterling
Sturridge

6/11 players that will be playing for liverpool next season....

Juve4Life

---------Hart----------
GJ--Smalling/Jags--Cahill--Baines
----------Ger---------
-----Hendo----Wilshere/Bark
Sterling-------Rooney
-------Sturridge-----

Bring on Ox for Studg arnd 70 mins and make Roo play as a striker

XdanielredX

Hart
Jones Jagielka Cahill Baines
Gerrard Henderson
Lallana Rooney Welbeck
Sturridge

This should be the starting XI. This eleven will have some pace and the ability hurt teams with show defenders.

Gerrard is an overrated player, and I would've started Carrick along with Henderson, but it's a shame he's not in the 23. Wish Walcott was fit, he'd get into the XI in front of Lallana.
No Sterling anywhere near the XI?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Hart
Jones Jagielka Cahill Baines
Henderson
Wilshere Barkley
Sterling Sturridge Welbeck

My first thought is about Baines, perhaps it's better to defend well and Cole is the best defensive LB.

That midfield 3 just seems exciting, built the team around that. Neither Rooney nor Gerrard deserve another WC.

_John_Doe_

Think England have the capacity (not that Hodgson would ever allow it) to recreate a team that resembles Liverpool this year - with Suarez/Coutinho being substituted for Rooney/Lallana or Ox;

Hart
Henderson Gerrard
Sturridge Lallana/Ox Sterling
Rooney

Front 4 could create an interchanging, fluid unit with Rooney and Sturridge alternating at the fulcrum and Gerrard/Henderson providing a shield for the back four.

However, Woy will revert to type against Italy and go with 4-3-3 to try and pack the midfield. If he insists on that I'd love to see the Ox be played in the middle of the park like he has for Arsenal this season, think his pace could be deadly against the Italian midfield:

Hart
Gerrard
Wilshere Ox
Sterling Welbeck
Rooney

Firstouch20

Rooney wouldn't even be in my starting line up. Sturridge is clearly the inform no.9 and has been the better forward in the past two seasons. That leaves Rooney with one more position and thats no.10 which isn't good for the teams balance. I would much rather have a no.10 like Barkley who has more of the traditional qualities of a no.10 than Rooney has.

----Sterling-----Sturridge-----Milner

---------------Barkley----------

---------Gerrard-----Wilshere

--Baines-----Cahill---Smalling----Jones

--------------Hart---------

That would be my attack and midfield. There's a lack of experience there but you can expect more fluency in the attack and midfield without Rooney there. Milner might raise a few eye brows but his work rate in defense and directness in attack will be crucial. You can always rely on Milner to not let you down.

ben.heff10

Rooney is no doubt England's best player. There is not much to be said there, so he should clearly start as a number nine, or number 10 but only if another creative player is playing (Barkley/Lallana). Set up like this:

Hart
Gerrard
Henderson/Wilshere Barkley
Lallana
Rooney Sturridge

Lallana capable of interchanging with Barkley so Lallana can drift wide and stretch the opposition, like Navas would do at City when they played the diamond. 3/4 in midfield is crucial. Sterling could start ahead of Lallana if necessary, of if they opt for 4-2-3-1 with Sterling and Lallana on the wings. Actually excited for England this WC

Maroo

-----------Hart-------------
Johnson-Jagielka-Cahill-Baines
------Henderson-Gerrard----
--Sterling--Rooney--Welbeck-
-----------Sturridge----------

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Let's be honest, Ronaldo really looked like he didn't even try in that tie, He was hesitant to do anything, plus he scored twice, so you could argue Jones did not do a good job after all.
Such a bullshit argument this.

JefferiesTube

Diamond midfield inside 2 attacking fullbacks, 2 centre backs and 2 strikers
Carrick should have been in the squad to be back up to Gerrard in this system or if play 4-2-3-1 Gerrard and Carrick midfield 2