Your expectations of this season?

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
4th in the league, decent cup runs, Champions League Last 16 Round.

Oh, and a new manager.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What we expect and what we hope for are different things

I expect a title challenge at the very least but I also expect that it will be tough season.

I hope that Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, Matic and DDG all have outstanding seasons and the rest of the team / squad perform well, if this happens we could do well. I hope players like Rashford and Lingard can take a step forward in their development. I hope Lindelof, Shaw and Bailly step up to the plate and Dalot becomes an awesome addtion, showing us that we do actually have a decent defence. I hope Jose becomes happy. I hope we are happy.

The Purley King

What we expect and what we hope for are different things
Definitely true.

I hope that we significantly change our playing style. I have 0 expectations that this will actually happen though. I hope Pogba continues his WC form, but I don't expect that he will. I hope Shaw finds some form, but.........

I predict 3rd or 4th in the league, getting close in a domestic cup, but probably not winning one. CL, depends entirely on the draw obviously, but 1/4s is a likely exit point. I also expect that Jose won't be here at the start of next season.

walkinhop

Decent start, few match draw spree, 3-4 winning streak, then a mix bag. To finish the season with ~70 points

Zlatattack

Top four finish, with somewhat improvement in our style of play.

1. I expect we'll transition between defence and attack quicker
  2. but we'll still only be effective on the counter attack
  3. and we'll be lop sided again with most attacks coming down the left hand side.
I think Fred and Periera will get the ball into attacking positions and pass forwards more often than Fellaini/Herrera/McTominay did, so we will transition between attack and defence faster.

I think without CB's who are comfortable on the ball, our midfielders have to come back to get the ball, so if our team keeps it's shape, everyone shifts back whilst an attack is built up from deep, or attackers keep their positions meaning the midfielders have travel further with the ball to get it from defence to attack. CB's who are good on the ball would mean we'd have defence pushing up with the ball and the rest of the team could take more attacking positions at the start of every attack.

Most of the time our current fullbacks get into good positions and don't deliver into the box. We'll see a lot more of that unless there is a miracle with Luke Shaw and Dalot takes to life in the PL like a fish to water.

With Mata on the RW, any attack down that side with be slow and toothless, meaning we'll focus on the left hand side more and the opposition will defend that side more.

I think the opposition is likely to improve, especially Liverpool, so we run the risk of ending up third, but I think we'll be second. City to win.

justboy68

Fairly comfortable top 4 finish but out of any title and Champions League contention way earlier than we would hope for.

RedDevil5

4th behind City, Liverpool, and Chelsea (in that order). R16 in the Champions League, maybe QF if we draw a crap team in the Rof16.

FA Cup 6th round or semis. Capital One Cup winners.

Garbage football and Mourinho out at end of the year.

99withaflake

What do I expect?
  • A battle to finish 3rd or 4th in the league
  • A similar style of play to last season
  • The odd cracking result/performance thrown in to tease us with what could be
  • Getting knocked out in the Champion League round of 16
  • Potentially a good run in one of the cups but lots down to luck and when we play good teams
  • Plenty of frustration within the fanbase that we're not challenging for the league
  • Lots of media speculation that Jose is not on good terms with the board or players
  • Jose not helping the situation by stoking the fire publicly
  • Ending the season in a very similar position to where we are now, with "major investments needed in the squad"
Obviously I hope I'm wrong and I'd like wildly different things to occur.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I have no expectations whatsoever.

Head says more of the same, heart says take it as it comes and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I never listen to head.

SER19

Probably on paper the strongest squad weve had at the start of a season in about 6 years. We have a point to prove and are being underrated where last summer after lukaku deal we were fancied. Sanchez has hopefully settled and can be one of the best players in the league. Lukaku had a good first season and looked great in russia. Fred might be the perfect compliment to pogba and matic.ill be optimistic and hope for the emergence of a very effective player we might not have banked on maybe shaw or perhaps rashford to kick on this year?

Mourinho makes us very tough to beat. If the new coaches have a bit of influence and improve the way we attack i think we can win the league. If not, i think it will be similar to last season.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

I don't see City having the same type of season as last year. It may be wishful thinking but I'd like to see us within touching distance of the title. Chelsea's own record breaking season prior to City's was accomplished with a squad having just about the same balance and depth as ours now. That run of wins they went on was really ground out with some luck in play. So there's always hope.

It'll all come down to the team growing as a unit from last season . How are we likely to set up? Three at the back?

DDG
Mina Lindelof Bailly
Dalot Young
Matic
Pogba Fred
Sanchez Lukuku

Suedesi

I expect Mourinho gets fired by April, when we’re mathematically out of the CL contention. We sign Zidane as replacement and finish 5th

R'hllor

I expect to lose shit tones of nerves and to be very happy in other periods of the season.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
It's actually a good thing not to have any expectations, as some of posters have written above.

We're too weird to predict anything and this season can be either very good or a total disaster with Mourinho being sacked in winter.

The new era of Manchester United is simply like that and having any expectations are just for people to refresh this thread in May and quote themselves saying "I told you!".

Angelinho

Similar to last season - 2nd, with a domestic cup run, but making no serious challenge in the Champions League. Fan discontent to rise, as style of play, combined with no silverware, leaves many feeling disillusioned. Mourinho to be gone by next summer.

M4nu4Life

Top 4 finish, with out challenging for League.

Quarter finals, or Semi finals of champions league and eventually losing 2-1 over two legs.

Listar

Who are these people expecting us to win the title this season? With the addition of Fred we can win the title now? Did city sell half their squad?

9 Stone Elvis

Expect - A title challenge

Hope - a title challenge, a team coming together and a style of play that if not exciting at least reflects the attacking ability in the squad.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Who are these people expecting us to win the title this season? With the addition of Fred we can win the title now? Did city sell half their squad?
I’m not sure many people actually expect us to win the title but sure there’s plenty, including myself, that HOPE we can. It is possible.

I genuinely think that if Lukaku has another great season, Sanchez and Pogba show up and be the players we all know they can be we can do well.

Much as we moan about our defence, our defensive record was actually good last season so we just need our attacking players to do more damage.

Fred won’t win us the league on his own but I’m sure he will have a massively positive impact on our game and ensure Matic doesn’t have to do quite as much running as last year.

We have strong attacking reinforcements in Lingard and Rashford, Mata and Martial.

We have strong reinforcements in midfield, perreira, Herrera and Fellaini and McT.

More defenders (whether you all rate them is another thing) than we can shake a stick at and the best keeper in the world. Some good youngsters too.

A serial winner (admittedly marmite) of a manager. In my opinion we’ve got a better setup than when SAF won it in his retirement year.

Last edited:

meamth

FFS the negativity here is unbelievable, no wonder a lot of other fans think we are a set of cnuts with a sense of entitlement. Let's get up for the battle!
It's not caf without negativity. Better get used to it.

This season, I'm happy with a title challenge and semi final in CL.

Davs

• Top 4 should be a 100% expectation
  • Title challenge given our last season performance
  • Alexis to buck up his game and have a quality season
  • 20 league goals from Lukaku
  • FA Cup final, potentially winners
  • Champions League quarter finalists
Can we ask for any more?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Top 4
Ko stage CL
1 domestic cup win

That's the bare minimum.

Somehow I think United will challenge for the title. Jose to disprove the 3rd year theory.

SpyLuke10

Win the league or if we don't do that, then finish at least within 6 points of whoever wins the league.

Although this kinda depends on us making SOME good signings in the last week, by signings I mean like 2 good players, eg. Alderweireld and Willian. If we get no one then well idk.

No embarrassing performances in europe too. I'm looking at you Basel and Sevilla.

SpyLuke10

• Top 4 should be a 100% expectation
  • Title challenge given our last season performance
  • Alexis to buck up his game and have a quality season
  • 20 league goals from Lukaku
  • FA Cup final, potentially winners
  • Champions League quarter finalists
Can we ask for any more?
I suppose champions league quarter finalists partly depends on hopefully not getting a barcelona in the ro16 but yeah i agree. same goes for fa cup and man city to an extent.

M23

I have a feeling that we'll do better in Europe than the league this season. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a really good run at it, probably sacrificing a top four place.

SER19

The next week will decide a lot. I have an optimistic feeling that we will see Chelsea sign Zaha, united get a piece of fee, sign Willian and alderweireld and see darmian and possibly rojo leave, wed have fairly balanced books and an improved squad.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Because City won’t repeat last season, but United can easily pick up a few more points than last season.

Fred Pogba Matic in midfield means we won’t be over run in midfield. Pogba can play with more freedom, and if the attack clicks with Sanchez getting back to his Arsenal form then why not?

Teams don’t need to make 5/6 signings to win the league. We just need to gel and play better.

WMY

If Pogba and Sanzhez gives us what they are capable of, lukaku adds another 5 goals to his tally we will be in good shape. We need a CB to paired with Bailly to relegate jones and smalling. Teams adapt. Che blew away the league playing 3-5-2 and then the whole league did their homework last summer and found them out. I expect the same to city, hence they will not be as dominant.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireballXL5

I'm expecting a full on train wreck. Wheels to start coming off around November.

Davs

Signings don't determine your league position come the end of the season. Obtaining 3 points week in week out does.

Signings can help of course, but there's nothing stopping City having an off season and us having a better season than last.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I expect nothing less than a top 4 finish, hoping to be pleasantly surprised with a good run at the league title. Little run in the champions league would be wonderful but I'm just talking shxte at this point now